• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

squicken

Nathan Zegura ‏@NathanZegura
More @ProFootballTalk on Gordon: According to the source, Gordon has passed at least 70 drug tests. One test barely generated a positive.

@profootballtalk Josh Gordon's "A" bottle = 16 ng/ml. "B" bottle = 13.6 ng/ml. Limit = 15 ng/ml...one-year ban. http://

Seems ridiculous this is a one year ban. I know he is a repeat offender but on the heels of the Rice wrist slap it just seems so stupid

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Yeah. That ea thing seems pretty sketchy. Pay for some older multiplayer games that are unpopulated because they're old and newer versions are out or coming out. Just put the old games on mega discount in the store. But, hey, it's Electronic Arts, they'll surely make it better... :rollseyes

zychi

Banned
So ive been told im getting #1 pick in my draft. Dont want jamal charles like everyone seems to be loving. I feel like kc's offense is gonna be meh this season.

Lesean mccoy a good overall #1?

Fox318

3BC1VKe.jpg

GQman2121

Banned
GQ how'd the O look and is the d fairing alright ?

Hard to say from where I was sitting. The endzone seats really would have been the best place to judge. But there was really not a lot of penetration with the first and second team players, so I guess that's a plus.

All three QBs looked sharp with their throws throughout the majority of the drills. That did standout.

Michael Campanaro, our seventh round pick out of Wake Forest, had a few catches from Tyrod during full drills and was returning punts. He's obviously not going to unseat Jacoby for that job, but we know Jones is a shit WR, so if Camp is able to have a solid preseaon there's no reason why he won't find a place in the offense that is loaded with speed wideouts who are going to stretch the field.

He has a really short stride and looked extremely quick off the line, and in and out of cuts. I don't know if it was because he's so much smaller than everyone, but he really stood out to me. He was wearing #6.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Translation: Going to collect his $10M insurance policy and then try again.

That's should have always been his goal. Rehab for a year and collect that cash.

bionic77

:lol :lol :lol

Cheering for a wife beater?

:lol :lol :lol

Played about 20 hrs of Fire Emblem so far.

So addicting, too many waifus to choose from.
Game of the gen so far.

Hopefully it is great enough to fix your taste in women.

We must fall before we can rise again!
There is no forgiveness for some crimes.

KOing your wife or girlfriend? Slap on the wrist.

Becoming a Pats fan? Excommunication.

Mech is out of the family. For good.

Doomsayer

What to watch for 2014-2015 San Francisco 49ers

Offense

QB – Colin Kaepernick had an underwhelming season his first year as the incumbent starter for the 49ers. Many of his flaws were on display – especially during the first 2/3rds of the season. Lack of touch, one read and run, and “juvenile” progressions were many ways he was described during this time. During the last third of the season he got his favorite target back (Crabtree) and put together a nice little run until losing to Seattle in the NFC Championship game.

This is a big year for Kaep – with Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon Davis, and newly acquired Stevie Jonhson all at his disposal this should be a very diverse and tough to defend offense. It all rests on Colin’s shoulders, can he get it done and take that next step?

RB – With Frank Gore’s career on the downward slope I expect him to get a lot more rest this year. He fizzled out last year in the playoffs and did our offense no favors. Kendall Hunter tearing his ACL is a big blow as he has been our primary backup to Frank these past three years. He is great at picking up the blitz and hitting outside lanes – the perfect complement to the inside running of Gore.

Luckily we have a stable of running backs; LaMichael James, Marcus Lattimore, and freshly drafted Carlos Hyde. Lattimore and Hyde were projected as starting backs coming out of college and we will need them to live up to their potential to not only replace Frank in the coming years but to continue to elevate the game of Colin Kaepernick. Greg Roman utilizes one of the most unique running games in the league, it has yet to be seen if any of our backs fit as well as Frank Gore has, though.

WR – It seems every year going into the training camp word on the street is “our receiving core is finally materializing” the past two seasons the receiving core has been underwhelming and underutilized. Not to mention, undermanned. Two recent draft picks of Bruce Ellington (R) and Quinton Patton look promising, but it means nothing until games are being played.

Going out and trading for Stevie Johnson gives the 49ers a top 5 receiving core. Brandon Lloyd also adds some veteran savvy, but there is no guarantee he will even make the roster. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, and Ellington should be very dangerous to all opposing secondaries.

TE – Vernon Davis ended his “hold out” and reported to camp. Many feel this was just a ploy to avoid OTAs and try and get more money in the process. VD is the 3rd highest paid TE in the league and signed a deal that made him the highest paid TE in NFL history at the time. We know what we are getting with him, but our big questions marks are on the backs of second year player Vance McDonald. He had a very bad rookie year plagued with dropped passes. He has made huge strides in training camp (who hasn’t?) and Harbaugh is talking him up big.

We have two athletic tight ends that are fighting for a roster spot Derek Carrier and Garrett Celek – Carrier seems to have the upper hand as he fits the mold of our hybrid WR/TE, a void we’ve had since Delanie Walker left in free agency. As long as VD continues to be VD, it will draw attention away from McDonald and our receivers. It is up to them to step up. For such a heavy reliance on tight ends on our system, pass catching was minimal last year. Blocking was their strong point.

OL – One of the best O-lines in the league lost its signal caller, Jonathan Goodwin. While Goodwin got overpowered occasionally he was also phenomenal at making pre-snap adjustments. In such a complex offense, this was severely undervalued by many fans and pundits alike. We used a third round pick on Marcus Martin, a center from USC who has recently been activated after recovering from an injury. He and Daniel Kilgore will be battling it out for the starting C position.

Mike Iupati and Alex Boone are our starting guards, but there is a guarantee that only one, and maybe none, will be with us next year. Boone is currently holding out for a new contract and he is massively underpaid for the production he has given us. Joe Looney has been filling in for him at RG and done a “legitimately solid” in place of Boone – whether that is Harbaugh taking a shot at Boone or just talking up his players has yet to be known.

Starting tackles Joe Staley and Anothony Davis round out the Oline. Since 2009 Staley has been a premiere left tackle in the league, his combination of athleticism and power is a nightmare for opposing players. Anthony Davis is recovering from shoulder surgery and should return soon. His pass blocking has gotten much better in recent years but his run blocking is superb. Backup tackle, Jonathan Martin has been getting abused (not just verbally) in TC so far. He is coming back from mononucleosis so that is to be expected. I don’t think he will make the final roster.

Expectations– Roman has said we will unveil a “different” offense this year – hopefully meaning more 3 WR sets and less of that “jumbo” package. Roman is very creative but that can also be a hindrance as he can try and get too cute and ruin any momentum the offense had picked up. I expect the Niners to be much better on offense this year, we have too many weapons to not be.

Defense

Dline – Again, this should be a strength for the 49ers. We had two redshirt players last year (Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial) and all reports have been positive. Especially for Tank who added more muscle and did not lose any of his speed, I expect him to be the heir apparent to Justin Smith. Speaking of Justin Smith, he played injured all of last year. I thought he was just getting too old, but he had surgery over the break and has yet to practice but he will be fresh for the season. Rounding up the Dline we have Ray MacDonald, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Glenn Dorsey (who had a fantastic season last year), Ian Williams, and Demarcus Dobbs.

We also have newcomer Marcus Lynch who dropped in the draft because of character issues and effort concerns. We also have Lawrence Okoye waiting in the wings, who is a former discus thrower with little football experience. I have a feeling some team is going to get a very talented Defensive line player from us because we can’t keep all of these players on the roster. Dobbs and Williams seem to be the most susceptible to being cut.

Linebackers– The staple of the 49ers defense since Jim Harbaugh has taken over will be without one of its leaders – All-Pro Navarro Bowman. Bowman sustained a torn ACL in the NFC Championship game and will likely miss half of the season recovering. There is no panic though, because we have fellow All-Pro Patrick Willis still patrolling the middle of the field. He will be switching back to his old position to make up for Bowmans absence. Harbaugh likely said we will use a cavalry to replace him – with Michael Wilhoite and Chris Borland leading the way.

I have no doubt there will be a drop off, but not a substantial one. Wilhoite filled in for Willis and did a fantastic job last year.

Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith make up our OLB tandem. Aldon Smith gets a lot of the spotlight for both is on and off field transgressions but Ahmad Brooks is really the key piece to the equation. Brooks is strong against the run and has a deadly first step. I fully expect both of these players to be dominant yet again. We also have Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta backing them up. Lemonier looks to build on a boom/bust rookie season and Skuta is a journeyman just looking to hold onto a roster spot. It will be very hard as loaded as this roster is.

Secondary – This is the shakiest part of the defense, the defense has been top 5 in the league for the past three seasons and the improvement of the secondary is the main reason for this. Ed Donatell has been the main reason for this, he teaches fundamentals and technique to go along with players natural instincts (great insight, there). With the departure of our top two corners and our third coming off an ACL tear, there are a ton of questions marks.

Moving into the season we have Tremaine Brock and Chris Culliver as our starting corners, Culliver had an up and down year and is best known for being clowned in the Super Bowl. Brock has been a revelation; he is a great ball hawk but a so-so tackler. We also have Chris Cook coming from Minnesota he has all of the tools be a great corner but he has been terribly underwhelming throughout his career. Impressions are positive from 49er brass, saying ball skills were his worst trait and he has worked on it every day after practice. The nickel position, which is very important in today’s NFL, will either be handed to Perrish Cox, Daryl Morris, or rookie Jimmie Ward. Ward was drafted as a safety but played both positions in college.

Eric Reid was everywhere his rookie year, concussions are a concern with him because of his tackling technique but he seemed to work that out late last year. He is the QB of the defense and works incredibly well within the system. The loss of Personal Foul magnet, Donte Whitner, is huge. He was the emotional leader and tone setter on defense, Antoine Bethea has been signed to take over this role. It is up to the Dline and Linebackers to create enough pressure to alleviate some of the pressure off this group.

Special Teams

K/P – Andy Lee and Phil Dawson are both at the top of the league in their respective categories – Punting and Place Kicking. No question marks here.

KR/PR – With LaMichael James sidelined Perrish Cox and Bruce Ellington have been given the opportunity in the return game. If they can produce at a consistent level it makes LMJ expendable. It will be a fun battle through TC/Preseason.

In Summary– The 49ers move into the season with Super Bowl aspirations, after being on the cusp for the past three years this is their best opportunity to do so. The roster is loaded with talent we haven’t seen in years, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The defense will have some growing pains early with new cornerbacks and Bowman missing, but we have more than enough talent to make up for the loss of those players. It’s no secret that we are chasing Seattle for NFC dominance and many of the moves made this offseason seem to reflect that the 49ers also know this.

Coldnoodle is a true master of his art. He finds a way to take even my favorite things and make discussing them annoying.

Waifu stuff is the worst part of FE: Awakening. It completely dominated the discussion to the point where I had to remove myself from the OT awhile after launch. It's not that I hate the marraige feature or anything, I just hate how the rest of the game is so often ignored because of that single aspect. It's the same crap that happens with BioWare games, although at least in that case the rest of the game isn't nearly as good as FE:A.

KaYotiX

Banned
I had no idea people were so excited to pay a subscription to play year old EA games. Baffling.

I can't believe GameStop didn't have a credit card before.

Crazy huh? They shit on EA all the time but this program is God's gift all of a sudden.

GAF.....

Spinluck

We must fall before we can rise again!

Whatever hope there was for Mech is lost my friend.

But I will agree with you because we need more optimistic Cajuns in the world.

Coldnoodle is a true master of his art. He finds a way to take even my favorite things and make discussing them annoying.

Waifu stuff is the worst part of FE: Awakening. It completely dominated the discussion to the point where I had to remove myself from the OT awhile after launch. It's not that I hate the marraige feature or anything, I just hate how the rest of the game is so often ignored because of that single aspect. It's the same crap that happens with BioWare games, although at least in that case the rest of the game isn't nearly as good as FE:A.

This is what happens when you give animu nerds that kind of power (I love the games art and style btw). I am pretty sure every thread on FE: Awakening at some point is dominated by this weird fixation on the female characters. I usually take no issue with it, but it was like the least interesting part of the game for me. I like building relationships so they can fight better or whatever, but at times the mechanic got a bit annoying when you realized there was some scrub you never used and forgot to pair them with anyone.

The marriage stuff was also cheesy and awkward as hell lol. Like people are going to get married over eating pie, and pulling a wedding ring out of their ass. Wut.

Mech's awesome, but still, what's the point of ignore? You let them win by letting them get to you like that.

It'd be easy to ignore all the Manziel fans too, but then I'd be unable to see their tears come October.

I always feel sad when I replace my old trusty members with the new cooler looking ones.

Happens to me in Pokemon too.

bionic77

No offense to my BFF mech, put he also spams BOB shit constantly

Mech dosent't believe in college football.
I also don't believe in college football.

It's garbage. Almost as bad as college basketball. At least that has a nice tournament to make me forget how bad the product is.

LJ11

Good work by TDR and Doomsayer.

Niners are more talented on O than they've ever been during this stretch. They should be pulverizing teams, especially if their year two guys take a big step.

Mech's awesome, but still, what's the point of ignore? You let them win by letting them get to you like that.

It'd be easy to ignore all the Manziel fans too, but then I'd be unable to see their tears come October.

Used to feel the same way, ignore was pointless, but after I put a couple of guys on I kind of changed my tune. I don't want to wade through spam, it's not even the trolling, a good troll is funny, it's the bad ones who just post non stop. No point in wading through crap.

KingGondo

Banned
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon landed in Stage III of the program last year as part of a negotiated two-game suspension for the use of cough syrup that contained codeine. Once in Stage III, a player never leaves. And he must pass up to 10 drug tests per month.

According to the source, Gordon has passed at least 70 drug tests. One test barely generated a positive. And but for the 50-50 luck of the draw, it would have been a negative.

PFT said:
In English, close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and “B” bottles.

For Gordon, the “A” bottle showed a concentration of 16 ng/ml, only one nanogram per milliliter above the limits of 15. The “B” bottle showed a concentration of 13.6 ng/ml — less than the threshold.

But because the “A” bottle was labeled “A” and not “B” and because the “B” bottle was labeled “B” and not “A”, the end result is a positive and a minimum one-year banishment from the NFL. Flip the bottles when it’s time to apply the labels, and Gordon isn’t facing a suspension.

Setting aside (for now) my lingering concerns about the NFL policing the use of marijuana by players, the Draconian provisions of a program that subjects a player to up to 10 tests per month and will remove a Stage III player from the workforce for at least a full year if he failed a single test over the balance of his career, and the NFL’s apparent unwillingness to subject Colts owner Jim Irsay to this same testing protocol and standard, Josh Gordon will be treated extremely unfairly if the policy is strictly applied to him as it is written.

All because the bottle that tested at 16 ng/ml was labeled with an “A and the bottle that tested at 13.6 ng/ml was labeled with a “B”.
10 drug tests per month is crazy. Especially when it comes to something like marijuana.

Fox318

I got banned for posting about Josh Freeman.

Next time remember to look at the date of the thread ActStriker is posting before replying to it.

Spinluck

This is what happens when you give animu nerds that kind of power (I love the games art and style btw). I am pretty sure every thread on FE: Awakening at some point is dominated by this weird fixation on the female characters. I usually take no issue with it, but it was like the least interesting part of the game for me. I like building relationships so they can fight better or whatever, but at times the mechanic got a bit annoying when you realized there was some scrub you never used and forgot to pair them with anyone.

The marriage stuff was also cheesy and awkward as hell lol. Like people are going to get married over eating pie, and pulling a wedding ring out of their ass. Wut.

I always feel sad when I replace my old trusty members with the new cooler looking ones.

Happens to me in Pokemon too.

Lol

Draxal

Truth be told, people who kept on posting in that thread and WERE LIKE MAP DESIGN BAD I HATE THIS game were just as bad. The map design in the game was made casual for a reason, but having to read the same shit all the time (and yes the waifu talk was like reading SNES/Gator flirting with each 40 posts per page bad).

Fox318

somebody posted a link about people not knowing josh freeman from a year ago. I thought it was a new thread and replied.

Bumped a thread a year old.

I agree. Overall I really like the marriage feature though, especially because of how you
get to use the kids later on.
That was really cool.

To be honest I think they should have made the tactician a character that didn't participate in battles, like in FE7. That way the MC couldn't get married and you wouldn't have the fans acting so stupid about which girl to pick.

Truth be told, people who kept on posting in that thread and WERE LIKE MAP DESIGN BAD I HATE THIS game were just as bad. The map design in the game was made casual for a reason, but having to read the same shit all the time (and yes the waifu talk was like reading SNES/Gator flirting with each 40 posts per page bad).
This is true... I fought with a lot of those people for a long time, totally not worth it. I still think the maps are great though, especially compared to the other handheld Fire Emblem games. I'd like to see a little more objective variety next time around and maybe even the return of fog of war but overall I was really pleased with the maps. I think the hate is undeserved for the most part.

bionic77

The marriage feature like everything else in Fire Emblem was awesome.

The guys who obsess over the characters are just perverts.

I think Super Metroid is the greatest game I have ever played. I am sure there is actual fan made and maybe even professionally made porn about Samus and that many thousands of losers like Noodle have violated themselves to those movies or artwork. That doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game. There are always going to be perverts. Just know who they are, try to avoid them, but if that fails then spend a good 20 minutes washing your hands anytime you have to be in the same room as them.

Draxal

I agree. Overall I really like the marriage feature though, especially because of how you
get to use the kids later on.
That was really cool.

To be honest I think they should have made the tactician a character that didn't participate in battles, like in FE7. That way the MC couldn't get married and you wouldn't have the fans acting so stupid about which girl to pick.

This is true... I fought with a lot of those people for a long time, totally not worth it. I still think the maps are great though, especially compared to the other handheld Fire Emblem games. I'd like to see a little more objective variety next time around and maybe even the return of fog of war but overall I was really pleased with the maps. I think the hate is undeserved for the most part.

I'll be real, I want a proper remake of FE6/7 with the children system intact. Having Roy being a kid of Ninian/Eliwood so he could have dragon powers would be great.

The marriage feature like everything else in Fire Emblem was awesome.

The guys who obsess over the characters are just perverts.

I think Super Metroid is the greatest game I have ever played. I am sure there is actual fan made and maybe even professionally made porn about Samus and that many thousands of losers like Noodle have violated themselves to those movies or artwork. That doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game. There are always going to be perverts. Just know who they are, try to avoid them, but if that fails then spend a good 20 minutes washing your hands anytime you have to be in the same room as them.
Just another example of, "stop going to gaming side."

I'll be real, I want a proper remake of FE6/7 with the children system intact. Having Roy being a kid of Ninian/Eliwood so he could have dragon powers would be great.
Dude... This is the greatest idea I have ever heard in the history of mankind... Why would you even do this to me...

Top Bottom