• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Gobias

Banned
Glad to see Shazier do so well. Him and Cameron Heyward were some of my recent favorites from Ohio State. Too bad about who they were drafted by.

Trent Richardson. Never seen a man run nowhere so hard and so quickly.

loII still can't believe we got a 1st for him. There was lots of celebrating by me when we made the trade.

Striker

Giants first team looked like shit.

Good to see Nassib, Washington, and Harris come up late. Nassib should clearly be the #2 QB. No upside for Painter. Younger and more mobile. I think he fits the McAdoo offense well, moreso than Eli at this point. Harris and Washington will stick around. Can't see Holliday or Manninham making it; Jernigan and Randle both haven't been any good, but I don't see why they have to get majority playing time, especially if Randle keeps running the wrong routes. Would like to see Harris and Washington in there with Eli and Cruz.

Happy Sunday and Happy Return to Cameron Jerrell Newton

11632008404_37c9dbbfc6_o.gif

Talon

Annual Sam Baker leg injury?

I'm actually happy this happened early enough in the season to force Smith to put Matthews at LT.

Rotoworld said:
Falcons LT Sam Baker suffered a torn patella tendon in his right knee during Saturday's preseason game and is done for the season.

It's a big blow for Atlanta, as turnstile Lamar Holmes will have to enter the starting lineup. No. 2 overall pick Jake Matthews will likely be asked to move from right tackle to left tackle. It's Matthews' more natural position, and he's the future at the position anyway. Baker signed a six-year, $41 million deal with Atlanta in March of 2013 and played in just four games last season.

He's probably not going to last much longer in the league

MechDX

He's no Khalil Mack though, that's for sure.

You damn right.

Seriously though, Clowneys burst off the line is jaw dropping. Never seen a guy that fast off the line. Mark my words: sometime during this season he will strip a hand off too a RB in mid exchange

One other tidbit on Clowneys play last night. Watt was never in the game. Sat out

Talon

Yeah, that's it for Baker. His cap hit means he isn't cut immediately, though.

On the plus side, we immediately get the best tackle to the left side of the line.

On the down side, it's either Holmes or Schraeder on the right side. Neither guy's gotten a lot of praise out of training camp. Holmes was awful against Miami. Didn't see the Houston game so don't know how he did out there, but he's not going to stay on the left side.

Carimi's been injured for the last two weeks, and he's only been on the sideline. Also, Carimi is bad at football.

Plug and play, baby. Make it work. [Cliche].

RBH

Atlanta Falcons starting left tackle Sam Baker, who missed a good part of last season with a knee injury, was carted off the field in the second quarter of Saturday's preseason game against the Houston Texans.

It was bad enough the Atlanta Falcons couldn't really get into an offensive rhythm in Saturday night's 32-7 loss to the Houston Texans. They also didn't communicate or tackle well on defense, had failures on special teams and committed costly penalties.

Falcons coach Mike Smith tried to sum it up the best he could.

"It was very obvious that we didn't play well in any phase of the game tonight," Smith said after the game. "We had breakdowns in all three phases. We had way too many penalties; weren't able to convert on third down; we're able to get off the field [defensively] on third-and-long; had a punt blocked [and] returned, field goal blocked.

"Not anywhere close to the level that we need to play and perform at. We've got to get much better."

The Falcons were 3-of-11 on third down, including 0-of-4 by quarterback Matt Ryan and the starters. The defense gave up 323 yards to a Texans team that got shut out in Arizona last week.

Eqmql.gif

squicken

I thought the big worry for ATL was how easy they were run on by Houston. I thought that was an offseason focus; get bigger/stronger on the DL?

Top Bottom