• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Because he is playing against trash. Against Oakland when he was under a bit of pressure he didn't "go through his progressions" he shit himself and immediately went to his short outlets.

He did a good job against the Cardinals and made a lot of really impressive decisions. Against low rent talent, when the game is a lot easier. Let's let him play against an actual NFL squad before we declare him King of Progressions.

Brady and Manning have a garbage arm, garbage legs, garbage-ish receivers and still pick defenses apart with their ability to read and react. But yeah, Bridgewater is better because he had a good few series against the Cardinals backups in the preseason.

Brady and Manning have a much better understanding of NFL defenses and personnel. This cuts the necessity of going through progressions. If you know where you're going with the ball pre-snap, then you have no progressions. Both of them are good at it, too, however. Manning may be the best ever. But I don't think he's faster at it than Bridgewater.

You're confusing the ideas, here. Going through progressions is just a piece of the puzzle. A piece that's really difficult to get. If he had a genius understanding of the game and a rocket arm, he'd be Andrew Luck. He doesn't. He won't ever have the physical traits, but it's possible for his knowledge to catch up with his eyes. If that happens, the Vikes will have a solid qb for years.

Connor Orr with NJ.com is doing a nice breakdown series of the Giants offensive lineman. He starts today with Geoff Schwartz and his performance against the Colts. The Giants have been moving Schwartz around a little bit but he's primarily been manning he left guard position. This made sense when the team thought Chris Snee would be able to man the right side but there's some thinking that the team should move Geoff back to his natural RG position where he's been the most effective. Here's the article:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...kdown_grading_the_tape_on_geoff_schwartz.html

THE VERDICT: There is no doubt in my mind that Schwartz will be an opening day starter (bold statement, right?). The perceived flaws in his performance seem, to me, like the function of a vanilla offense working against an exotic defense. All of the functional things he needs to do – pulling, fitting, getting next level, throwing a good punch – he does well, especially his blocking on play fakes. I think it would make the most sense for the Giants to pair him up with whichever tackle they perceive to be the weakest.

That last point makes sense as Beatty is the perceived weakest tackle at the moment after his abysmal 2013 performance.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
:jurassicparkwatershake

matthew-stafford-e5ecf0a14f70dbe9.jpg

Yall just wait until FMT stops being a bummy West Coaster and wakes up.

He shall not take this Kap slander in vain
Kaep is below average at reading defenses and moving through his progressions for a starting QB. Anyone who debates this is either blind or a delusional Niners fan.

90% of the time it's throw to read #1 or take off running.

Brady and Manning have a much better understanding of NFL defenses and personnel. This cuts the necessity of going through progressions. If you know where you're going with the ball pre-snap, then you have no progressions. Both of them are good at it, too, however. Manning may be the best ever. But I don't think he's faster at it than Bridgewater.

You're confusing the ideas, here. Going through progressions is just a piece of the puzzle. A piece that's really difficult to get. If he had a genius understanding of the game and a rocket arm, he'd be Andrew Luck. He doesn't. He won't ever have the physical traits, but it's possible for his knowledge to catch up with his eyes. If that happens, the Vikes will have a solid qb for years.
Agree 100%. This is why I think Bridgewater is legit and selfishly hope the Vikings ruin him.

eznark

Banned

I think you are giving him way too much credit for reading a second string defense making vanilla calls in a pre-season game.

I watched two drives from his game against Arizona and that defense did nothing, hid nothing, disguised nothing, made no adjustment and had weak personnel. He looked much worse against Oakland when he faced some pressure, held the ball too long at times and was slow to recognize a slightly more active secondary. He made good decisions but again...c'mon. Let's have some context.

Before crowning him the greatest mind in football I'll let him play at least one game against first teamers trying to win a football game instead of second teamers trying to make a football team.

Bread

Banned
Also, let's wait until Bridewater plays against some real teams. Even then let's see him do it for more than a season before proclaiming him anything. Did you guys learn nothing from RG3?
Rg3 was great before he got hurt. That's not a fair comparison.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rg3 was great before he got hurt. That's not a fair comparison.

Did he hurt his brain too? Or did defenses adjust to running style quarterbacks the last few years? Or both?! (Except Green Bay of course)

You can't even say the injuries spooked him because he's still wreckless with his play style.

Bread

Banned
Did he hurt his brain too? Or did defenses adjust to running style quarterbacks the last few years? Or both?! (Except Green Bay of course)

You can't even say the injuries spooked him because he's still wreckless with his play style.
I think he just lost his explosiveness and now defenses don't take his running as seriously as they did during his rookie season. Mentally he's about the same, he just can't make the defenses pay for playing the pass like he used to.

I don't think Manziel's attitude is good for him long term. He needs to grow up a lot if he's going to have long term success. Attitudes like his aren't anything new in this league and history has shown that it doesn't help your career any.

I say this with the full hypocrisy of knowing that Favre was one of the worst divas of all time. He wasn't a straight up cocky asshole though....just a diva. And an asshole.
As ez alluded, Favre was basically a 10/10 on the out of control scale.

But he had Holmgren keeping him in check. Also (when he was a young qb) an impossible rocket arm and amazing wrs to throw to.

Bowser

Really great article from BR by Matt Bowen taking a detailed look at several plays from this past week's games. Benjamin already showing those veteran skills:

Kelvin Benjamin Beats Sean Smith on the Dig Route

As the Panthers rookie continues to develop at the wide receiver position with more reps on the field, I’m focused on his ability to win versus press-man while creating separation at the top of the route.

On Sunday night, Benjamin showed more positive signs outside of the numbers when he beat Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith on the deep dig route (Dagger combination).

Let’s talk about this one-on-one matchup from a technique perspective to focus on Benjamin’s release, stem and break.

Personnel: Ace/12 (2WR-2TE-1RB)

Formation: Doubles Slot “Dakota”

Offensive Concept: Dagger Route

Defensive Scheme: Cover 4

6c9821f97ea924516fb610c671022473_crop_exact.png

With Benjamin in a “plus-split” (three yards outside of the numbers), Smith uses an inside-eye alignment and plays from a press-position (use sideline as help).

However, Smith takes a slight false step (step forward), widens his base and allows Benjamin to cross his face on a hard, inside release.

The rookie receiver slaps down on the hands, forces Smith to “open the gate” (open hips) and gains inside leverage to stem to the numbers. That’s solid technique from the rookie to win on the release.

e1e32c42842ef1428a3985bde02c5ff3_crop_exact.png

On a dig route (square-in), the wide receiver will stem to the top of the numbers and stack on the cornerback.

That’s what we see here from Benjamin as he stacks on Smith to put the veteran cornerback in a trail position. And now the Panthers wide receiver is in control to continue his stem up the field before the break point (12-15 yards).

1793c34406c41c94563aceea2b5e4028_crop_exact.png

At 6’5”, 240 pounds, Benjamin can create leverage consistently back to the middle of the field on inside breaking routes when he can gain separation at the top of the route.

Here, Benjamin sinks at the top of the route and breaks inside (with Smith trailing) to finish this play on the throw from quarterback Cam Newton.

Here's the progression from Benjamin to win this matchup:

f8026b93b49342b4b4500a4acc5ce748.gif

More detailed play breakdowns like the above at the link.

eznark

Banned
As ez alluded, Favre was basically a 10/10 on the out of control scale.

But he had Holmgren keeping him in check. Also (when he was a young qb) an impossible rocket arm and amazing wrs to throw to.

They also had really strong leaders on both sides of the ball, which the Browns also have. People always assume the QB has to be the general but really, that's not always the case at all. He just needs to go out there, make plays, and let Joe Thomas be the adult.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Another #Raiders nugget: Team feels the depth at QB is the best they’ve had in years — 1 thru 3. Belief is McGloin at 3 better than many 2s

Schaub
Carr
McGloin

well I mean, considering what they had

The coaches love Polk, no way does he get cut. Josey is a great story and I hope he makes it to the practice squad but I am not sure he will.

Chip said post practice that basically if Polk can't play in the preseason he's not up for consideration. He still has the hamstring injury, and didn't practice today. If he doesn't play in week 4 I think Josey gets the job.

Chip said post practice that basically if Polk can't play in the preseason he's not up for consideration. He still has the hamstring injury, and didn't practice today. If he doesn't play in week 4 I think Josey gets the job.

I hope you are right since I don't like Polk at all, but I cant see them choosing him over Brown and then cutting him.

Crisco

Banned
There's really no such thing as "depth" at QB. I mean, I feel really good about DA being Cam's backup, but I also have no delusions about how fucked the team will be if Cam ever missed significant time. The only context in which it makes sense is if you've got a promising rookie learning behind an established veteran. Having more than one QB that you think can be your #1 means they are all #2s (as in poop, not roster spot).

squicken

Schaub
Carr
McGloin

You know I sorta agree. I have seen McGloin play a few games, and I think he will have a good career as an above average backup

There's really no such thing as "depth" at QB. I mean, I feel really good about DA being Cam's backup, but I also have no delusions about how fucked the team will be if Cam ever missed significant time. The only context in which it makes sense is if you've got a promising rookie learning behind an established veteran. Having more than one QB that you think can be your #1 means they are all #2s (as in poop, not roster spot).

True that any team is screwed if the starter goes down for an extended period, but I think the role of a good backup is to go .500 if the starter misses 4 games. It's not all about QB Winz but in general, that's what a backup should do

Bowser

Random thought: if the league is going to enforce these ticky tack defensive holding/illegal penalties during the regular season as often as they have during the preseason, they've gotta get rid of the "automatic first down" stipulation. If it's 3rd and long (10+?) and a minor hold 5 yards down the field barely affects the WRs routes, the offense shouldn't be rewarded with an automatic first. Just replay the down after adding the penalty yardage from the LoS.

The league is already geared to consistently aid the offense, at least throw the defense a bone here.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ok. Let me say a few words on reading defences and progressions.

Reading a defense is paramount. A qb needs to be able to see what defense an opponent is playing. This gives him an idea where the weaknesses will be, what holes may be open in the coverage and how much time he may have in the pocket. Bridgewater is not there with his knowledge on this aspect.

Progressions for a qb is the ability to look at a receiver running a route and see if he's open and available for a pass then look to the next and the next, etc. And this is where Bridgewater excels. He can look and see if a guy is open or not and move on to the next guy really, really quickly. He was this way in college, and it's what I've seen in his limited action, so far.

One has nothing to do with the other, except that an accurate read can lead to a simplified progression (and if it's a blitz, hot routes). In fact, Teddy needs to be able to decide, even if his guys aren't open, if he can safely throw the ball and let his man try and make a play. He prefers to continue looking to see if someone comes open. And if no one comes open, he takes the checkdown. This was/is the primary knock on him.

Schaub
Carr
McGloin

Three quality #2 qb's. RAIDAHS!

Tamanon

Banned
Random thought: if the league is going to enforce these ticky tack defensive holding/illegal penalties during the regular season as often as they have during the preseason, they've gotta get rid of the "automatic first down" stipulation. If it's 3rd and long (10+?) and a minor hold 5 yards down the field barely affects the WRs routes, the offense shouldn't be rewarded with an automatic first. Just replay the down after adding the penalty yardage from the LoS.

The league is already geared to consistently aid the offense, at least throw the defense a bone here.

I agree, treat it like offensive holding. Replay the down, add the yards.

We saw several 3rd and 15+ last night that were bad plays nullified by a ticky-tack foul.

That would definitely be an improvement. I hate little defensive penalties that bail offenses out. It especially sucks when you have the Patriots in your division because you know they are going to get more of those calls their way.

squicken

I like the penalties. DBs have to learn to stop being grabby. Scoring is going to go up. The 3 best teams in football last year were CAR, SF and SEA, and they all played suffocating defense. It may be a good game to watch CAR beat SF 10-9, but it's not what I want to watch week to week.

Give me 45-42 scores, 20 penalty games, and cheap wings and tacos on gamedays!

eznark

Banned
I like the penalties. DBs have to learn to stop being grabby. Scoring is going to go up. The 3 best teams in football last year were CAR, SF and SEA, and they all played suffocating defense. It may be a good game to watch CAR beat SF 10-9, but it's not what I want to watch week to week.

Give me 45-42 scores, 20 penalty games, and cheap wings and tacos on gamedays!

no

Top Bottom