• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

PrwHZxf.png

Whoever made this rules

squicken

Players are right, Manziel will be a hit

Still, I'm not shocked that nearly seven of every 10 players participating in our poll believe that Johnny Manziel will be a hit with the Browns. Talent knows talent, and Manziel is talented.

The survey, conducted by ESPN.com's NFL Nation reporters, asked 100-plus players: "Yes or no: Johnny Manziel will be a bust." Of the 82 players who answered, 69 percent said Manziel would succeed in the NFL.

---

I covered Ryan Leaf when he entered the league in 1998 as the No. 2 pick overall. He was brash and outwardly confident, owned a powerful right arm and fit the physical prototype that teams look for. But behind the façade, Leaf lacked the heart to fight through adversity. Failure was acceptable to him. He viewed quitting as a solution, not just an option.

He admitted as much in his second season, when during a confidential conversation he told me he was strongly considering retiring. He had had a disastrous rookie season in which he lost the respect of teammates and the fans, and then lost his starting job. Year 2 wasn't much better. He had shoulder surgery early in the season and, in November, was suspended for four games and docked one week's salary for conduct detrimental to the team. It was then that Leaf told me was leaning toward quitting the game. I was incredulous and filled with questions. Retirement? After only two seasons? Where is your pride? Your fight?

Manziel never would be cool with accepting that someone or something got the better of him. That doesn't guarantee success. Competitive pride is the foundation upon which success is built.

cdyhybrid

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 20m

The NFL now wants its Super Bowl halftime acts to pay for the opportunity. No limits to the owners' greed.

Who's your team? And 99% of the time it works all of the time.

I have tickets to the London game, and I absolutely cannot wait!

Ravens. I should really get a Baltimore av so this question's no longer asked, but the whole Rice thing is still fresh and still awful, so. Maybe next season. Also hope you have a great time at the game!

get ready for horrid acts

As long as it's not Katy Perry.

Skele7on

Banned
Ravens. I should really get a Baltimore av so this question's no longer asked, but the whole Rice thing is still fresh and still awful, so. Maybe next season. Also hope you have a great time at the game!

Yeah, I would stay clear of that AV for a bit, the Ravens were alright and all, but Rice is just ergh, I mean really come on now, I hope you guys have a good season this year....

Oh I will, got the Monday off work too, so I am gonna get trashed and have an awesome time, I went to the 49ers Vs Jags last year, but that wasn't really a game.

So looking forward to a closer one this year, just hoping they get the win!

Welcome to the thread, Skele7on! What are your expectations for the Lions this year? Also, what are your feelings on Stafford? Do you think he's franchise QB material?

Mindlog

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 20m

The NFL now wants its Super Bowl halftime acts to pay for the opportunity. No limits to the owners' greed.
That can't be true... WOW.
The NFL has narrowed down the list of potential performers for the 2015 Super Bowl to three candidates: Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay, these people said. While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig.

I really like what I've seen of him thus far. Seems willing to stand in the pocket strong(damn you Gabbert) and is already going through progressions nicely.

Definitely need to see more of him, but he's definitely leading the QB pack thus far.

I think we are looking at a future top 15 QB. I prefer the nickname "Frosted Blakes" for his coolness in the pocket.lol

GQman2121

Banned
They really do, which sucks because my college AND NFL teams both have games on Fox regularly.

Need some of that glorious NBC HD.

The greatest thing that has happened since the invention of central AC is NBC winning the rights to the Premier League. Sunday Night Football is so much more enjoyable than the afternoon games. CBS is like in between the two.

I wonder if the NFL even gives a shit. The gulf in quality is undeniable.

eznark

Banned
The league should be selling the Half Time Show. It's probably the biggest single promotional event a band could hope for.

And it's not like the acts will get worse. The only people who could win that are the shitheels they already have like U2.

cdyhybrid

The league should be selling the Half Time Show. It's probably the biggest single promotional event a band could hope for.

And it's not like the acts will get worse. The only people who could win that are the shitheels they already have like U2.

The problem is that anyone who could afford their asking price probably doesn't need the promotion because they're already selling out all their shows.

GQman2121

Banned
When's the last time Vince held a halftime match? I remember switching over to see The Rock pin Mick Foley with a forklift in high school. I think Larry and I were watching together at our homeboys house.

eznark

Banned
The problem is that anyone who could afford their asking price probably doesn't need the promotion because they're already selling out all their shows.

So what? The NFL isn't going to book your Seattle art house wrist cutter band anyway. They'll book a safe old choice or some current celebrity with a high powered marketing agency behind them.

cdyhybrid

So what? The NFL isn't going to book your Seattle art house wrist cutter band anyway. They'll book a safe old choice or some current celebrity with a high powered marketing agency behind them.

:jnc I don't even listen to "Seattle art house wrist cutter band" anyway.

I'm saying it makes no sense. They're implying they're giving the artist some value in return for paying for the halftime show, but that "value" means nothing to anyone who could actually afford it.

Buy this Ferrari, we'll give you $10 cash back!

:jnc I don't even listen to "Seattle art house wrist cutter band" anyway.

I'm saying it makes no sense. They're implying they're giving the artist some value in return for paying for the halftime show, but that "value" means nothing to anyone who could actually afford it.

Buy this Ferrari, we'll give you $10 cash back!
Hey, watch it. SAHWC's debut album was absolute gold and it stands the test of time. Way better than their new stuff. Such a shame that they sold out.

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 3m
Just got done talking to JJ.Never seen more of a team player in all of sports. It's unreal. However, he CLEARLY knows he should've been paid

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 2m
Watt's not dancing around the issue anymore. Talks about how the new CBA was supposed to reward players who outperformed contract.

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 1m
I asked him why be didn't exert his leverage and he said because he wants to be with his teammates. Wants to be practicing.

On one hand, Watt's gonna get paiiiiiiiiiiid and that's great. On the other hand, good luck trying for a real (aka good) QB anytime in the next few years, Houston.

Colasante

Bill Belichick on WR Brandon LaFell:
He's been able to carve out a role for himself here. Might be a big one. We'll see... Obviously, he's a big target, and again he's gotten better at the routes that we run. I thought the deep out-route that he ran in the game was good. He created a lot of separation on that. He's got a good skill set, a little different than a lot of other guys, but he's good and he's tough.

Hype! Might the Patriots actually have three competent 6'3+ receivers in Aaron Dobson, LaFell, and Brian Tyms this season?
Probably not.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The greatest thing that has happened since the invention of central AC is NBC winning the rights to the Premier League. Sunday Night Football is so much more enjoyable than the afternoon games. CBS is like in between the two.

I wonder if the NFL even gives a shit. The gulf in quality is undeniable.

What? You don't like washed out colors that bleed easily because of Fox's awful cameras?

I think we've all agreed for years that SNF is the greatest thing ever in the HD era. You can literally see in excruciating detail all of Al Michael's liver spots and wrinkles.

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 3m
Just got done talking to JJ.Never seen more of a team player in all of sports. It's unreal. However, he CLEARLY knows he should've been paid

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 2m
Watt's not dancing around the issue anymore. Talks about how the new CBA was supposed to reward players who outperformed contract.

nick wright ‏@getnickwright 1m
I asked him why be didn't exert his leverage and he said because he wants to be with his teammates. Wants to be practicing.

On one hand, Watt's gonna get paiiiiiiiiiiid and that's great. On the other hand, good luck trying for a real (aka good) QB anytime in the next few years, Houston.

Eh, sounds like one guy on twitter making a deal out of it. Watt knows he's getting paid even if he suffers most major injuries that aren't career enders.

Top Bottom