• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Hard to know what to expect from both sides of the ball with people coming back from injuries. If Gronk is healthy their offense should be fine. Otherwise Edelman will probably get 140 targets again which really isn't great.

Defensively, I've heard great things about Wilfork's recovery (haven't heard much about Mayo but I assume this is a good thing). I really don't know how they're going to set up their secondary, especially with Browner out for the first four games. The fact that 'old friend' Patrick Chung is getting 1st team snaps is kinda scaring me to be honest.
The thing is the team hasn't gotten worse anywhere from what I can tell. Brady isn't what he used to be but he's still a very good QB and barring injuries his weapons will be improved this season. The defense made some big moves that seem to be improvements for the most part.

On paper they aren't as good as a team like Denver or Seattle but games aren't played on paper. Make it to the playoffs and you've got a shot.

So NFL GAF is going to sit around pretending Broncos Pats AFC championship isn't a lock barring major injuries?

I am biased, but if the defense can be marginally better than last year, I think the Colts have a good chance of getting the the AFC Championship game. Luck's weapons are ridiculous, O-line could not be worse and appears to be better, Luck will (hopefully) take his turnovers down even further, and the defense just needs to not let people run all over them.

I'm not saying pencil them in, but I am saying the Colts have a pretty good chance.

jakncoke

Banned
Last time I was in IRC snesfreak just told me I was a piece of shit over and over again. If I wanted to hear that I'd just call up all the women I've dated over the years...

Its for your own good to help you grow as a person! Break you down then build you to be a non shitler type human!

Edit; Another year of aging on lady brady arm, I seen lol throws last year that he no longer can make. Another year of aging should add more entertainment value for the rest of the league. Same thing applies to Peypey really.

Dragon

Banned
Got a PS4. Now I need to find good free games and wait until Destiny releases.

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-20%20at%201.03.43%20PM.png

I've heard good things about Warframe but I haven't delved into it. Not sure why War Thunder isn't on that list either.

bionic77

Lol how can you even say this after the off-season they've had. They picked up 2 starting quality corners, got wilfork and mayo back from injury, and picked up what could be a valuable impact player in Easley.

The offense hasn't changed much but if they can stay healthier than they were last year they are a much better team.
Lets see who is right in another 2 months.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
QBs arent dead at 30 like most elite RB. So I dont see why that matters

Quarterbacks are weird since it seems like fatigue, concussions, or their entire body giving out is what does them in. I think QBs playing well into their early 40s before giving out will become more the rule than the exception as time goes on.

I'm worried about Rodgers since his game necessitates a bit more mobility than Brady or Manning (both of whom I expect to play into their 40s)

jakncoke

Banned
Quarterbacks are weird since it seems like fatigue, concussions, or their entire body giving out is what does them in. I think QBs playing well into their early 40s before giving out will become more the rule than the exception as time goes on.

I'm worried about Rodgers since his game necessitates a bit more mobility than Brady or Manning (both of whom I expect to play into their 40s)

Im sure he can adapt, his arm is big enough that i think it really matter if he has to spend more time in the pocket. Also him sitting behind brent preserved what 3 years of being hit in game.

#Eagles acquire running back and returner Kenjon Barner from Carolina for a conditional 7th round draft pick in 2015. pic.twitter.com/1ESvwiJ921

RB/KR Kenjon Barner needs to be on Eagles’ 46-man active roster for at least four games for a 7th-rd pick to be sent to Carolina.
— Adam Schefter
Go go Oregon players!

ShaneB

Just pray that they dont panic and give into small hands demands if they start out slow.

Yeah, the ATL guys have actually been saying Smith should take the money now, if the Chiefs have a down year, and hence Smith having a down year, perhaps his value will go down. So it's something to keep an eye on.

Also, it's cool to have read Take Your Eye Off The Ball and understand this chart!

BwYGeec.png

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Why does age matter? I'm not sure how many QB's in the AFC are on Stafford's level.

I'm talking about the future of the AFC. Manning, Brady and Big Ben are elite but those guys are coming close toward the end of their careers. Andrew Luck would be the only young QB in the AFC I would consider somewhat elite whereas the NFC is stacked with young stud QBs.

QBs arent dead at 30 like most elite RB. So I dont see why that matters

True, but the two best AFC QBs, Manning and Brady, probably have on or two more years left in them. Brady is 37 years old while Manning is 38.

The AFC does have JFF so I'll give them that.

bias or not that might not be the right kind of team to assemble for January. Especially in a place like Philly.

It is incredibly stupid to target players that the coach knows over the best available player. It is one of the things that really makes me hesitate about Chip.

Konka

Banned
;It is incredibly stupid to target players that the coach knows over the best available player. It is one of the things that really makes me hesitate about Chip.

Well it presumably can't last for long because pretty soon he won't be any more familiar with any college players than any other coach. But he certainly has had plenty of time to scope out these players and make assessments and I think that's fair of him to do if he saw something in them.

MechDX

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN · 1m
The more I watch practice the more CJ Fiedorowicz impresses. He's stealing targets and reps from others

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 58s
CJ Fiedorowicz with a TD. That guy can do everything. Zero problems catching the ball. #Texans

aka Baby Gronk

It is incredibly stupid to target players that the coach knows over the best available player. It is one of the things that really makes me hesitate about Chip.

I see it more as Chip getting bargain players that he knows well enough to have confidence in their abilities. I think he's saving a ton of money toward salary cap so he can eventually get some big need based players. Simply taking the best player because they are the best available is expensive. If you think slightly longer term, you can save some money and fill in the truly big gaps with your cap space. I don't think he actually views the team as true contenders for another few years.

woodchuck

This is the shit that pisses me off.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...llas-cowboys-top-valuable-nfl-team-32-billion

The Dallas Cowboys haven't made the playoffs since 2009, yet somehow Jerry Jones' team has once again risen in value -- by 36 percent over last year -- to lead the Forbes NFL Team Values list, which was released Wednesday, at $3.2 billion.

The Cowboys are atop the magazine's rankings by a healthy margin for an eighth consecutive season, having risen in value by $900 million to become the only NFL team worth more than $3 billion.

Despite last having won a championship in 1996, the Cowboys are second in value only to Real Madrid ($3.4 billion) among all global sports franchises.

Jerry jones has no reason to change anything if he keeps making money. He's competing with Real Madrid, not the rest of the nfl. Nothing will change unless jerry starts losing money.

I'm talking about the future of the AFC. Manning, Brady and Big Ben are elite but those guys are coming close toward the end of their careers. Andrew Luck would be the only young QB in the AFC I would consider somewhat elite whereas the NFC is stacked with young stud QBs.

True, but the two best AFC QBs, Manning and Brady, probably have on or two more years left in them. Brady is 37 years old while Manning is 38.

Andrew Luck has more talent in one of his beard hairs (which, granted, are fairly impressive) than Matt Stafford has in his entire body.

jakncoke

Banned

Pretty much kills your own argument when you include him into the discussion, but then again you're most certainly including Stafford in your argument when he has won nothing in the NFL and is like 1-23 against teams that finished a season so im not sure why i expected a rational discussion with you.

gutshot

I see it more as Chip getting bargain players that he knows well enough to have confidence in their abilities. I think he's saving a ton of money toward salary cap so he can eventually get some big need based players. Simply taking the best player because they are the best available is expensive. If you think slightly longer term, you can save some money and fill in the truly big gaps with your cap space. I don't think he actually views the team as true contenders for another few years.

Yeah, I mean they gave up a seventh-round pick for Barner. It's not like they completely overvalued him or traded for him over some other really good RB just because he's from Oregon.

In fact, all of the former Ducks they've acquired (Maehl, Dixon, Barner, etc.) have been picked up very cheaply and are mostly there to help fill out the roster. And the one Duck that was considered the best player available and who everyone here wanted the Eagles to acquire, Jairus Byrd, they passed up on.

So no, Chip is not overvaluing his own guys over other consensus BPAs.

Gobias

Banned
She's gone cray cray right now.

Nothing I can do.

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 5h
Johnny Manziel started losing this job right after the draft when he partied his brains out. Continued losing it right through middle finger
Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 2h
Johnny Manziel started losing the job right after the draft and kept losing it through the middle finger:

She really needs some new material.

Bowser

Byron Bell, OT, Carolina Panthers
Bell has shocked me with how well he's played since entering the NFL as an undrafted rookie in 2011, and I've continued to be impressed with the way he's transitioned from right tackle to left tackle this preseason in the wake of longtime veteran Jordan Gross' retirement. Offensive line coach John Matsko has done a great job improving Bell's technique and making the game easier for the strong, wide-shouldered 25-year-old. Bell must do a good job protecting Cam Newton's blind side if the Panthers are to have a chance, and, luckily for them, it looks like he's going to.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hael-floyd-among-training-camp-risers-in-2014

Byron Bell Praise?!

tumblr_n3l7n9SZ3U1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

MechDX

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 15m
Jj Watt bull rushes right tackle Chris Clark, pushes him several yards back. Clark knocks his helmet off, pushes to face. Flag is thrown

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 14m
JJ Watt beats Denver tackle Chris Clark one on one. Clark then reaches out to knock off Watt's helmet, which revealed a big grin. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN · 13m
I would have tweeted what JJ said, but I follow the rules.

sogood.gif

Top Bottom