• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

brentech

Oh, they got their hits in....

hines-ward-gets-owned-o.gif
Sweet B-roll footage there. What archives did you find that in

Colasante

Brandon Browner and Kenbrell Thompkins going at it in practice today. Glad to see Browner's physicality coming into play. Hopefully it forces the receivers to be that much tougher getting off the line.

BtzxIOuIgAELux4.jpg

cdyhybrid

The Green Bay Packers want Eddie Lacy to stick on the field more on third downs this season in order to keep up the offensive pace. For that to happen, the second-year running back will have to improve pass blocking and route running.

According to Aaron Rodgers, the back already has good hands and the 24-year-old is confident enough in them he's given himself a moniker -- albeit one unlikely to stick in Green Bay.

"Eddie has a self-appointed nickname of 'Moss,' as in Randy Moss," Rodgers told the team's official website.
"He thinks he's got incredible hands. His hands actually are very good."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-mosslike-talents?campaign=Facebook_atl_patra

My What to Watch For post is long as all hell, preemptive apologies.

I didn't even pack in that much extra shit. One gif, one still pic, no funny links, no crying Steve Smith kid, no calling Cam "The Icon" or "Swagfather", no Drake lyrics.

It's just a lot of text, for the most part.

MRSA

Banned
I got a phone call this morning telling me I needed to fast for a blood test for my insurance discount. While I was listening to the VM I was chowing down on some bacon and sausage.

I know how Stafford feels.

Yeah but as far as I remember he always came up smiling!

Dude was incredibly tough. He only cried AFTER games!

We need new concurrent success to reignite the rivalry. All the old faces on both sides are leaving and retiring. Once Troy and Ben are gone, and Suggs on our side.....well, we need to increase the fire.

Brandon Browner and Kenbrell Thompkins going at it in practice today. Glad to see Browner's physicality coming into play. Hopefully it forces the receivers to be that much tougher getting off the line.

BtzxIOuIgAELux4.jpg

Much needed added toughness for Thompkins. Really curious to how this will play out next year.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Eating at the Popeyes practically next to Jerrah World. I'm tempted to take a spicy :blarry on the front lawn.

That only counts for national media attention. You only get that when you have two good teams in the division contending for a title.

For the fans of a team in the division this shit is always more important and those rivalries never went away.

I think it relies heavily on the players too. Green Bay and Chicago don't really get chippy with each other so they're all buddy buddy after the game. Plus Cutler is a huge Green Bay fan. Team culture also plays into it since Green Bay only really gets chippy with teams like Seattle or Detroit where thuggery is common place.

I'd actually like to see the number of personal foul calls by team. I bet Detroit is number one.

JABEE

Khan killed enough people that the world's forests actually grew in size, leading to a drop in CO2 levels. Which is insane.

Yep. He also had a system of execution whenever he raided a town. People would give up out of fear and Khan would line everyone up and give each one of his soldiers ten people to hack apart one at a time. Collecting an ear from each individual.

Khan's military training and tactics were so ahead of their time that he absolutely destroyed 13th century crusaders with a fraction of the soldiers.

I love Hardcore History so much.

MRSA

Banned
Hopefully no poppy-seeds

My health screening is at noon which includes a nicotine test. I'm gonna smoke so much pipe tobacco and eat cholesterol loaded foods when I'm done with this stupid screening.

My premiums if I don't qualify for the discount will go from $5 a pay period to $55 a pay period.

bionic77

Yep. He also had a system of execution whenever he raided a town. People would give up out of fear and Khan would line everyone up and give each one of his soldiers ten people to hack apart one at a time. Collecting an ear from each individual.

Khan's military training and tactics were so ahead of their time that he absolutely destroyed 13th century crusaders with a fraction of the soldiers.

I love Hardcore History so much.
Yeah the account of his army conquering most of Russia with a scouting force is insane.

Europe lucked out big time that the Khans kid died before they could finish the task.

For people back then it must have been like aliens were invading your country. You just had no idea what was happening except that you were fucked (and there was no communication so you usually did not even know that until it was too late).

bionic77

We need new concurrent success to reignite the rivalry. All the old faces on both sides are leaving and retiring. Once Troy and Ben are gone, and Suggs on our side.....well, we need to increase the fire.
Hopefully we get another generation of good players. We have been spoiled as fuck for the last 10 years.

I don't want this division to be taken over by Ohio with my team left in the dust.

Spoiler:
Geno leads jets to a superbowl victory with a record of 18-1 with the only loss coming from the Broncos.

Spoiler :
Giants Baboons riding on flying unicorns will attack Canada but will be slaughtered by a beaver army led by Rob Ford

Or are we not making up stories now.

JABEE

Yeah the account of his army conquering most of Russia with a scouting force is insane.

Europe lucked out big time that the Khans kid died before they could finish the task.

For people back then it must have been like aliens were invading your country. You just had no idea what was happening except that you were fucked (and there was no communication so you usually did not even know that until it was too late).

Not only that, but the Mongols had advanced weaponry like fireworks and explosives from China. After going against the different Chinese dynasties and their modern tactics and weaponry, going up against middle age crusaders was a walk-in-the-park.

I also loved how they not only used their pure physical prowess and training against the cities they raided and plundered, but they would also use political tactics to turn their enemies against each other.

What to Watch For 2014: Carolina Panthers

(Editor's Note: This is long as shit, if I need to split it into multiple posts just let me know)

2013 was by many measures a successful campaign for the Panthers. Cam Newton finally "got over the hump" and along with the league's second-ranked defense led his team to a 12-4 record, an NFC South division crown, his first NFL playoff bid and the first for the Panthers in five years. Unfortunately Cam (who is a scholar, gentleman, and any talk about him stealing laptops is blatantly false!) and the Panthers fell short of the ultimate goal, losing to the red-hot San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Divisional Round. Now a relatively tumultuous offseason marred with roster turnover and key injuries has many wondering if the Panthers have enough to break the NFCS winner curse (there has never been a repeat winner of the division), build upon the success from and last year and ultimately go even further. These are the key things to watch for from the Carolina Panthers.

DEFENSE

Much like the team itself, I'll lead with the defense. The front 7 that was so dominant in 2013 returns completely intact for 2014. Led by Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, Charles Johnson, and defensive coordinator Sean McDermott this unit promises to be a force against the run yet again. The secondary has gotten a makeover with the loss of safeties of Mike Mitchell, Quintin Mikell, and No.1 corner Captain Munnerlyn (who is a midget and got overpaid, but that's none of my business tho).

DT: Projected Starters: Star Lotulelei, Dwan Edwards/Colin Cole/Kawann Short

What was a serious weakness in 2012, turned into a strength in 2013 with the emergence of rookie Star Lotulelei. Lotulelei was able to stuff many of the runs up the middle that were so effective the prior year. Star is normally flanked by veteran Dwan Edwards in the starting 11, but the position is also strong in that its deep. Fellow rookie Kawann Short and veteran Colin Cole both made major contributions in 2013 and can be expected to be even better in 2014.

DE: Projected Starters: Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy

Let's get the Hardy question out of the way first. I am not condoning, excusing, nor am I commenting on Hardy's alleged offseason behavior. He has been found guilty of simple assault and communicating threats and will appeal that conviction. Everything I've heard suggests that any potential league and/or team punishment will come after the results of that appeal, which in all likelihood will take place after the season. Therefore, I am treating this write-up like his playing status will be unaffected by his legal status.

Many teams would consider themselves fortunate to have one gifted pass rusher. The Panthers have two in the form of Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy. This duo has combined for 49.5 sacks in the past two years and with Hardy again playing for his next contract, nothing suggests that they slow down in 2014. Waiting in the wings is Michael Sam's Missouri teammate Kony Ealy (#KONY2014), who is raw, but talented and will be able to sit behind and learn from the vets. Ealy's presence also gives McDermott the opportunity to run "NASCAR" packages ala the 2011 Giants on passing downs, giving the team an even more devastating pass rush.

Behind Ealy, the trio of Mario Addison, Frank Alexander (who will be suspended for the first 4 games of the season due to Seahawking), and Wes Horton round out a deep stable of 4-3 DEs.

LB: Projected Starters- Clark Kent, Thomas Davis, Chase Blackburn

Instead of writing, this section will be a single picture

7_2978175.jpg

And for the record, yeah it was pass interference. I don't give a shit. The win is forever BIIIIIIIIIIITCHHH

Safety Projected Starters- Roman Harper and Thomas DeCoud

Strange times bring strange resolutions, but here we are. Mike Mitchell and Quintin Mikell, both leveraged the relative overall success of the unit into bigger paydays in free agency elsewhere and we are left with two former bitter rivals from the Aints and Failcons respectively. Unfortunately 89 is no longer on the team (offense is coming up next), some of the fights between him and Harper would have been legendary. As it stands both Harper and DeCoud are coming off of down years in 2013 with Harper struggling with injury, DeCoud with poor play. Hopefully they will be able to bounce back in 2014.

Behind them are the second year man Robert Lester (who played well when his number was called at SS in 2013), Colin Jones (primarily for special teams, where he is excellent), and rookie Tre Boston, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (so in all likelihood, he sucks, but we will see).

CB Projected Starters: ??

An unsettled and inconsistent cornerback unit in 2013 got even more unsettled with the departure of the veteran Captain Munnerlyn (who I still maintain is a midget and overpaid, still not my business). Left in his wake are a stable of unproven guys including Melvin White (who started and was inconsistent towards the end of last season), Charles Godfrey (played FS very well his whole career, but is making the switch to corner at Rivera and McDermott's behest, coming off a major knee injury), the Joshes, Norman and Thomas, career journeymen Antoine Cason, and oft-injured James Dockery.

The Panthers addressed the position further in the draft with Ben Benwikere out of San Jose State and UDFA Carrington Byndom out of Texas. At this point, I would probably say White and Antoine Cason (based on his experience in Rivera's defense at San Diego) would probably be the starters in the first preseason game. It's a position battle to follow through camp.

OFFENSE

Now it's time for the fun part. For as explosive as the defense was in 2013, Mike Shula's offense was more methodical and cautioned. The Panthers traded the big play oriented offenses of 2011 and 2012 under Rob Chudzinski (who got a raw deal in Cleve, but that's also not my business) for a offense built for controlling the ball and the clock. Cam Newton took a step up in 2013, if not in terms of stats, but in his ability to lead and manage a team. Cam Newton is back, the familiar faces at running back are back, the eversteady Greg Olsen is back, but the rest of the unit has gotten a facelift via turnover and retirement. Four Panthers offensive linemen retired, four Panthers wide receivers left in free agency.

QB: QB BATTLE!!

The opening of this training camp has seen a spirited fight at the QB position. Incumbent Jimmy Clausen has departed and newcomers Matt Blanchard and Joe Webb are both vying for his spot on the depth chart...as the No.3 QB.

Cameron Jerrell Newton, in light of recent departures, has become the face of the Carolina Panthers for many. He's entering his fourth year in the NFL and is now really growing into his role as a star QB in this league. Offseason ankle surgery will have Cam hampered initially, but early reports from training camp suggest that he's improving quickly. Cam is backed by Derek Anderson, who takes this shit serious.

HB/FB: Projected Starter: Deangelo Williams, Mike Tolbert

At running back, DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart both return, both off of disappointing years and with something to prove. Williams played poorly by his standards, and Stewart started the year unhealthy and was never able to truly find his health as the season progressed. Stewart is currently not practicing, as he recovers from offseason ankle surgery, but hopes to be back by training camp (fingers crossed).

Blocking for them and occasionally carrying the rock himself is everyone's favorite fatty Mike Tolbert. Tolbert has lost 12 pounds over the offseason and comes in at a lean 250 pounds, ready to build upon a great 2013 campaign. Also in the backfield in Kenjon Barner, the former Oregon speedster, who doubles as a return threat.

TE: Projected Starter- Greg Olsen

The always reliable Greg Olsen, leading pass-catcher for the Panthers in 2013, returns to lead a revamped TE group in the new season. To adapt for running more 2-TE sets on offense, the Panthers have added Ed Dickson from Baltimore. Dickson had a solid 2013 with the Ravens and hopefully get more looks here. For blocking, the Panthers retained the swiss-army knife Richie Brockel (who splits his time amongst TE, FB, and special teams) and added Mike McNeill from the Rams.

WR: Projected Starters- Kelvin Benjamin, Jason Avant, Jerico Cotchery

The section you've all been waiting for. To put it succinctly, we lost EVERYONE.

everyone.gif

Every wide receiver who caught a pass on the 2013 Panthers, has now found another employer. Steve Smith, who has been the franchise cornerstone for a decade, GONE. Brandon Lafell, who couldn't catch shit, but is a good blocker, GONE. Ted Ginn, who is fast as lightning, GONE. Domenik Hixon, who only caught like 3 passes the whole year but one of them happened to be a game winner in a key game against the Saints, GONE.

Replacing them is cavalcade of new faces, led by rookie first round pick Kelvin Benjamin. Kelvin Benjamin is a raw prospect, but with a massive body and a great catch radius, he gives the Panthers the end-zone threat they were desperately missing in 2013. Benjamin is joined by Jerico Cotchery and Jason Avant, solid dependable veterans, who are more likely to try and teach their teammates then snuff them out.

Behind these three, the WR position remains wide open. Marvin McNutt, Tavarres King, Tiquan Underwood, Marcus Lucas, Keloha Pilares, Brenton Bersin, and Philly Brown are all vying in a camp for what will probably be three slots at the max. WR definitely remains a position to watch.

OT: Projected Starters- Byron Bell (LT) / Nate Chandler (RT)

These two are definitely going to be the starters at the tackle slots, training camp will decide which guy is on which side. Jordan Gross, who anchored the line for a decade from the LT slot, has retired, leaving a big gaping hole on Cam's blind-side. Bell has been much-maligned by Panthers fans as he's has never been well all that good, primarily playing at RT in his career. Chandler is a converted defensive tackle, but played relatively well at the right guard slot in 2013. Early days say that Bell has been playing better at LT, but this position won't be decided until at least after the second preseason game.

OG/C: Projected Starters- Ryan Kalil (C), ?? (guard)

Pro Bowl center Ryan Kalil becomes the only constant on this remodeled offensive line. On either side of him, the guard slots are less settled. Garry Williams (coming off a torn ACL), Chris Scott (who is also coming off a major knee injury), Amini Silatolu (who is also coming off a major knee injury, see the pattern here?), rookies Trai Turner, and David Foucault (UDFA), Fernando Velasco (who is also coming off a major injury, pattern's back), are all in the mix for OG.

Silatolu and Williams were the opening day starters in 2013, who will be the opening day starters in 2014?

SPECIAL TEAMS

K- Graham Gano
P- Brad Nortman

KR- Mike Tolbert
PR- Charles Johnson

Okay, those two will probably not be factors in the return game. But after losing Ginn, the roles are wide open. Barner, Brown, Cason, Underwood, Lucas, Pilares are all vying for the spots. Early reports say that no one has been able to differentiate them self from the pack.

OUTLOOK

With so much roster turnover, the Panthers will find it hard to get back to 12 wins in an increasingly difficult division and NFC. The Panthers defense will again be very good, but they might find themselves overextended if the offense can’t stay on the field for long periods of time as they did in 2013. Much rides on Cam’s ability to get in sync with his new set of receivers (who are overall superior to their predecessors, but are still not top of the line) with limited practice due to his ankle surgery. Cam may also find it more difficult behind a revamped and largely unproven offensive line with no Gross to protect his backside. All in all the Panthers end up at 9-7, second in the division to the New Orleans Saints, and miss the playoffs in a tough NFC.

MechDX

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 1h
#Texans' O'Brien on being a hands-on coach: "What are you going to do? Go out there and stand underneath the shed there and drink Gatorade?"

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 1h
O'Brien: "You're a coach. And that's what you love to do." Said he learned to be hands-on and that's how he'll be with #Texans. #NFL

Seriously, broken record...yada yada yada, BOB is like the complete, polar opposite of Kubiak.

bionic77

Not only that, but the Mongols had advanced weaponry like fireworks and explosives from China. After going against the different Chinese dynasties and their modern tactics and weaponry, going up against middle age crusaders was a walk-in-the-park.

I also loved how they not only used their pure physical prowess and training against the cities they raided and plundered, but they would also use political tactics to turn their enemies against each other.
I wouldn't say that I loved their invincibility.

Because that is greatly tempered by the fact that once they won it was brutal genocide and rape time.

Carlin hammered that home really well. You can't separate one from the other.

I will say that the history of Ghenghis Khan defies belief. Literally from slave boy to emperor of the world in a lifetime. If it was in any religious text everyone would say that it was bullshit.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 1m
The #Cowboys and LT Tyron Smith have reached an agreement in principle on an 8-year, $98M deal, source says. Wow.

Wonder what guaranteed money is

Hopefully we get another generation of good players. We have been spoiled as fuck for the last 10 years.

I don't want this division to be taken over by Ohio with my team left in the dust.

We've been spoiled the entire time the division has been this way. Tennessee and Jacksonville were the only teams that actually competed at any time in this division, other than Pit and Baltimore, since the Ravens came into existance.

I have high hopes for Shazier/Moseley taking over the rivalry for the next generation.

Rotoworld said:
The Detroit Free Press reports first-round TE Eric Ebron has dropped "an inordinate number" of passes through spring and the first two days of camp.

At least one NFL scout questioned Ebron's hands, especially when going over the middle, in the pre-draft process. He had an 11.4 percent drop rate last season at UNC. Coach Jim Caldwell isn't worried, and blames Ebron learning so many positions and thinking too much right now for his shaky hands. It could be an up-and-down rookie year for Ebron. He's a late-round flier in re-draft.

no. stop. i don't believe it. wait. you mean this was a not-good pick??????????????!

MRSA

Banned
8 year contract? Lol, is Tyron Smith really that stupid? Or did he do Jerry Jones a favor by taking a backloaded contract that isn't gauranteed?

bionic77

We've been spoiled the entire time the division has been this way. Tennessee and Jacksonville were the only teams that actually competed at any time in this division, other than Pit and Baltimore, since the Ravens came into existance.

I have high hopes for Shazier/Moseley taking over the rivalry for the next generation.
Nothing lasts forever.

And holy shit that Interstellar trailer is awesome.

You have my laptop DM!

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 9s
Packers announced they have signed EVP/GM Ted Thompson to a new, multi-year contract.

JABEE

I wouldn't say that I loved their invincibility.

Because that is greatly tempered by the fact that once they won it was brutal genocide and rape time.

Carlin hammered that home really well. You can't separate one from the other.

I will say that the history of Ghenghis Khan defies belief. Literally from slave boy to emperor of the world in a lifetime. If it was in any religious text everyone would say that it was bullshit.

Yeah. I think love was the wrong word. I was amazed by the stories of how they were able to achieve so much. They were like a force of nature, as Carlin described. All that Genocide, killing, and raping makes it difficult to talk about what they "accomplished."

Bowser

Great write up Grover. Only things I'd add is the starters at CB will def be White and Cason, and the interior starting line will be Silatolu/Kalil/Turner.

Top Bottom