• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Hurney's last three drafts were basura outside of five picks (bolded)

Everette Brown (2nd round)
Sherrod Martin
Corvey Irvin
Mike Goodson
Tony Fiammetta
Duke Robinson
Captain Munnerlyn

Jimmy Clausen (2nd round)
Brandon LaFell
Armanti Edwards
Eric Norwood
Greg Hardy
David Gettis
Jordan Pugh
Tony Pike
R.J. Stanford
Robert McClain

Cam Newton
Terrell McClain
Sione Fua
Brandon Hogan
Kealoha Pilares
Lawrence Wilson
Zachary Williams
Lee Ziemba

2010 in particular outside him hitting on Hardy was clownshoes.

BigAT

ljPQVMg.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Yeah that's what I mean, immediately after it's way hotter than it ever was before.

Believe it or not, that's completely unusual for me. In both Arkansas and Wisconsin, rain is associated with cold fronts which means it cools down a lot when it rains.

It depends on what causes the rain. many afternoons its just the heat and moisture from the Gulf. Actual cold fronts and large thunderstorms cool things down nicely. Its very similar here to Houstons weather overall, but always seems a couple of degrees cooler.

Fuck the 2009 Patriots tomorrow

Ah yes 2009. that was an excellent year for NFL football wasnt it? I could relive that year forever and ever :)

Gobias

Banned
They have sold out the stadium for many years. And of course Manning increased popularity over Kyle Orton.

Are you gata, or just ignorant?

I'm not saying Denver doesn't have a large and loyal fanbase. It's just that their recent surge is the reason why they were ranked so high in Forbe's system. It's just a silly way to rate how "great" a fanbase is by the stats they use.

Mundy is in Chicago now. Started little with NY until Will Hill took his job. They didn't seem too interested in resigning him though and opted to bring back Stevie Brown and signing Quentin Demps.

Mundy didn't play badly for us, yeah. Good backup.

How is Demps still in the league. Guy couldn't play at all in Philly.
He started in KC a number of games and played well for them. Good on kick returns, too. Solid back up material from what I've seen of his play at safety.

Hunter S.

I'm not saying Denver doesn't have a large and loyal fanbase. It's just that their recent surge is the reason why they were ranked so high in Forbe's system.
;-) I know this. It was actually well reported in the local media how Tebow and then Peyton increased fan interest.

Tamanon

Banned
You assholes have nothing on the Jags when it comes to terrible draft classes.

1st - Derrick Harvey - 8 sacks over 3 years before being cut
2nd - Quentin Groves - Did fuck-all and was traded 2 years later for a fifth
5th - Thomas Williams(linebacker) - played 6(!) games, recording 1(!) tackle. Cut 2009
5th - Trae Williams(CB) - cut before the season started
7th - Chauncey Washington(RB) - cut in 2009 after doing shit

That's it. That's the whole draft. Terrible. And the sad thing is that it's just another year for the Jags during that time period.

Eleuin

Packers 2011 and 2012 drafts were pretty ass overall
3 good players, 2 injury riddled 1st rounders and the lowest player retention in the league

5th - Thomas Williams(linebacker) - played 6(!) games, recording 1(!) tackle. Cut 2009

That's it. That's the whole draft. Terrible. And the sad thing is that it's just another year for the Jags during that time period.

Okay there needs to be a plaque in the HoF talking about this class. Picking names out of a hat at random would have produced better results.

Gobias

Banned
I know it's not really fair, but Cleveland's 2008 NFL Draft:

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round were traded away the previous year to get Brady Quinn and Eric Wright (lol)
4th- Beau Bell - Cut, out of league
5th - Martin Rucker - Retired
6th - Ahtyba Rubin - Great pick
6th - Paul Hubbard - cut, out of league
7th - Alex Hall- Long journey through multiple CFL and NFL teams

I :jnc every time.

He drafted Jimmy Clausen, a bum ass QB, to be the QB of the future and Armanti Edwards, a bum ass QB, to be a wide receiver in the same draft.

Not just draft Edwards, we traded up for the motherfucker like "SHIT WE BOUT TO REALLY DO SOMETHING WITH THIS DUDE. THIS DUDE'S GONNA BE A STAR"

The_fuck%3F.gif

Hurney should have lost his job on the spot.

(That pick became Ras-I Dowling in 2011, Pats fans)

cajunator

Banned
2009 New Orleans Saints draft

1 Malcolm Jenkins -Safety - Hard hitter, shitty cover safety. On the Eagles now.
4 Chip Vaughn -Safety - placed on IR. now in CFL
4 Stanley Arnoux -Linebacker - placed on IR. out of the league
5 Thomas Morstead - Punter - The leg. Still our punter and a very good player

2010 New Orleans Saints draft

1 Patrick Robinson- CB- still on the team
2 Charles Brown -OT- not a very good lineman. Currently on the Giants
3 Jimmy Graham -TE- This guy was a basketball player! Did you know that? Also a draft steal for the ages
4 Al Woods -DT - Never did anything. On the Titans
5 Matt Tennant -C- Never anything special. currently on the Eagles
7 Sean Canfield -QB- practice squad fodder. Never did anything.

2011 New Orleans Saints draft

1 Cameron Jordan-DE- Cameron is an absolute beast - definite hit.
1 Mark Ingram-RB- The better of the two Alabama backs, which aint saying much. Hes running with more purpose lately though.
3 Martez Wilson -LB- never flashed. Currently on the Cowboys
3 Johnny Patrick -CB - Currently on the Jets
7 Greg Romeus -DE - Never did anything. currently in CFL
7 Nate Bussey -LB- meh. Currently in CFL

Overall Jenkins was a wash (though he helped win a SB), Morestead is a great punter, Pat Robinson is growing as a CB, Graham is a total beast, Cam Jordan is amazing, Mark Ingram is TBD. Considering the lack of first and second round picks due to heavy free agency signing and other trades, Id say they ended up with a few studs and some decent roleplayers from this group.

Ravens 1996, clearly.

Greatest defensive player of all time. Greatest offensive player of all time.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/thr...ns-jamison-hensley-joe-flacco-steve-bisciotti

Long before winning the Super Bowl in February 2013, the Ravens realized the extent of Joe Cool's calm demeanor at a cold and windy pre-draft workout at the University of Delaware.

Joe Flacco showed up with a bag of footballs and a few of his Delaware receivers. To see how Flacco would react, Ravens officials arrived with brand new NFL balls along with three other collegiate receivers that the team wanted to work out.

Flacco didn't blink. He smiled and asked how they wanted him to start. The throwing conditions were poor. The footballs were slick. Flacco was unfamiliar with the receivers. And only five of 150 passes hit the ground.

The Ravens wanted to confuse Flacco, and instead, they came away with more clarity about the future of the quarterback position.

Team officials walked to their cars in silence. They didn't even look at each other. With just a month left before the draft, the Ravens didn't want to give anyone watching a hint that they were so impressed with Flacco.

"It was there that we all looked at each other and kind of said the same thing: ‘Do you believe what we just saw?'" said Cam Cameron, the Ravens' offensive coordinator at the time.

You need to read the whole article Larry.

jakncoke

Banned
I'll Bite: 2008 Steelers draft

1 (23): Rashard Mendenhall RB - Good starter, fucked in the head. Most notorious for fumbling against The Pack in Super Bowl XLV, and his Bin Laden comments. Retired
2 (53): Limas Sweed, WR - Biggest bust in recent history. Had all the measurables, all the potential, but he just. Couldn't. Catch.
3 (88): Bruce Davis LB - Passed the eye test and nothing else. OOL.
4 (130): Tony Hills, OT - Camp darling, never went any further. Bouncing around the league.
5 (156): Dennis Dixon QB - Couldn't throw for shit.
6 (188): Mike Humpal, LB - Did this guy ever get on the field?
6 (194): Ryan Mundy, FS, - Mediocre safety. Penalty machine with the Steelers, I think he' faring a little better with the GMen though.

Yeah was just about to mention this draft. So bad.

2006 is pretty bad as well but not really up there we did get some sort of value out of holmes in the sb catch and being a threat and willie colon was decent enough

Gobias

Banned

Okay this is probably the worst draft. Jesus Christ.

Tom Coughlin on the extra point experiment during the preseason (moving it to the 15):

Coughlin says that if the idea is to make extra points a more exciting play, moving kicks back to the 15-yard line while keeping two-point conversion attempts at the 2-yard line wasn’t the right way to do it. Coughlin says the NFL should have moved all point-after attempts to the 1-yard line, to encourage coaches to go for two.

“I didn’t think much of it when it was suggested,” Coughlin said, via Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger. “There are some ways to change that part of it if the intent is to make it more exciting. I think that certainly would be one of them. I think you have to be aware of the fact that it’s a 33-yard field goal in November when the wind’s blowing and it’s snowing here and it’s… in Miami it’s 75 degrees. It’s a little different in different parts of the country. You do have to be aware of that. I would say probably the ball will stay at the two, extra points. But if you really want to make it interesting put it at the one.”

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah but I bet Kiper loved the pick.

So there's that.

Pretty sure there is footage of mel saying the gms and nfl have no idea what they are doing and why was he still on the board this late. But then again he probably does that a couple times a year. Thats one thing I hate about mel besides his hair sprayed hair, his smug attitude towards his scouting book.

Player X ges drafted

Mel: "Well I had player X rated slightly lower and had him going 8-12 picks later but here is some scouting on him"

Like fuck of you twat. I dont care that you think he should be drafted later by a certain team, just tell me info and measurables and possible red flags on the pick so I know whether or not to troll the fans of that team.

jakncoke

Banned
Okay this is probably the worst draft. Jesus Christ.

I bet if we looked the entire draft history most the worst productive drafts would come before like 1995, it seemed like the draft process was just a process of picking names out of the hat back then.

Top Bottom