• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

eznark

Banned
Football is officially back, guys.

Bt4EC5TCEAEn87k.jpg:large

Thanks man. The PM's with you were great fun about it.

I'll be a dolphins fan twice a year when they okay the Pats. Other than that, they are too far south with too much lovely weather for me to be a fan all the time :p

The AFCE needs a major shake up though!
If you support us in our endeavor to defeat the evil that has infested the AFC East for so long you are a good man. That's already more than we can say about a lot of confused souls in this thread like Dutch and gata.

gutshot

Jordan Matthews looking very impressive in training camp, according to all observers. Here was a recap of his day yesterday:

I'm already several bullet points into this post and I haven't mentioned The Best Wide Receiver in NFL History: rookie pass catcher Jordan Matthews. Apologies. Joking aside, Matthews was awesome. It felt like Mark Sanchez wasn't even throwing to any other second team receivers... and that's mostly because it was true. Matthews did a great job of working the middle of the field and getting open. Matthews is a monster with yards after the catch because of how hard he runs once he gets the ball.

In a one-on-one WR/CB drill, Matthews dominated his competition. Safety Earl Wolff had no chance on a play where Matthews ran a crisp route to create space for a Foles throw. Matthews caught the ball over his shoulder with ease. Soon after his touchdown catch, Matthews outmuscled backup safety Chris Maragos for a tough catch over the middle.

The most impressive Matthews play came on a diving catch from a Sanchez pass. The Eagles defensive backs standing on the sideline behind Nolan Carroll, who was covering Matthews, thought Carroll had made the diving interception. Matthews got to it first though and then got up to run down the field. That quickly quieted the Eagles DBs.

Matthews finished a dominant day by making two toughly contested catches in the red zone. I wasn't sure who was in coverage because the Eagles were practicing all the way at the opposite side of the field... but Matthews was clearly impressive. The first pass was thrown nice and high just to where he could get it and he snagged it with ease.

I realize it's still way early, but I can't help but start to get excited about this kid.

Levyne

Banned
No need to play coy, you almost spoiled the surprise! :p I wanted to share that gif I made so badly, wanted to make people think it was creative.

We shall see. With their schedule I've got them limping to 8-8. Playing the nfcw is gonna be fun to watch.

hehe, sssshh

Great post.

I look forward to your next one in about a week or so.

On the other hand, I guess it is that time of year when Bears fans start posting again before disappearing in December.

That hurts, man :(

bionic77

Football is officially back, guys.

Bt4EC5TCEAEn87k.jpg:large
Forget your family and job, those obviously don't mean much to you.

Will you be able to manage football and DOTA for the next 6 months? And if there are not enough hours in the day which one do you choose? Is it going to be a hard choice?

eznark

Banned
Forget your family and job, those obviously don't mean much to you.

Will you be able to manage football and DOTA for the next 6 months? And if there are not enough hours in the day which one do you choose? Is it going to be a hard choice?

I've been able to make it work that last 5 years (first with LoL then with Dota) so I think I will manage.

I just add more screens, bro.

Basically half of the tweets from James Walker (ESPN Dolphins reporter) during these practices have been about bad snaps. Good thing the Dolphins had a sound contingency plan for losing Pouncey like throwing guys who know nothing about playing center into the role. It wouldn't surprise me if they sign some random journeyman a few weeks before the season once they realize none of the guys on the roster are capable of adequately playing the position.

Dolphins football.

eznark

Banned
Basically half of the tweets from James Walker (ESPN Dolphins reporter) during these practices have been about bad snaps. Good thing the Dolphins had a sound contingency plan for losing Pouncey like throwing guys who know nothing about playing center into the role. It wouldn't surprise me if they sign some random journeyman a few weeks before the season once they realize none of the guys on the roster are capable of adequately playing the position.

Dolphins football.

Good, experienced centers who are cheap enough to be presumed backups do grow on trees. I understand why you would be furious.

brentech

Dolphins football.
Packers. New week one center 3 years in a row.

gutshot

So far so good, hopefully he can be the rare rookie WR that produces his first year.

I was disappointed to not get Cooks or Beckham, Jr. in the draft, but Matthews may end up being better than both of them. We haven't had a receiver that offers his combination of size and speed since He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Sanjuro

I'm going to go read your impressions in the other thread. As someone that loves the Ninja Turtles, was it a good turtles movie?

Absolutely.

Most of the "Ninja Turtles Fans" are a bit weird. I guess people expecting a fun free film are going to be disappointed. There were a couple action sequences that were absolutely spectacular.

bionic77

This is the best time to lose your center. The Dolphins line has a few weeks of practice and preseason games to get their shit together. With good coaching they should still be able to run their offense and with the added benefit of having another backup with real game experience later in the year if someone else goes down.

What you don't want to happen is have it happen in the middle of the season with no one who is capable of stepping in right away (see Steelers last year).

Dragon

Banned
So you'r the one that bought a Gomes jersey.

I fucking hate Gomes, thankfully Farrell can't play him against righties when he's on the A's. It's not Gomes fault that the team put him in a position to suck, he doesn't hit righties well. The Red Sox OF has been so putrid this year that who knows.

Good, experienced centers who are cheap enough to be presumed backups do grow on trees. I understand why you would be furious.
How about just starting with a guy who actually has some experience at center? I never said he had to be good, but something like being able to snap the ball should be kind of a given at this level, shouldn't it?

The starting center at the beginning of camp was Shelley Smith, an OG who has been in the league since 2010. He has 2 career starts and only 14 games that he's even played in, and no experience at center. That is pitiful.

eznark

Banned
I fucking hate Gomes, thankfully Farrell can't play him against righties when he's on the A's. It's not Gomes fault that the team put him in a position to suck, he doesn't hit righties well. The Red Sox OF has been so putrid this year that who knows.

A Gomez/Reddick platoon will be a world beater. A's so fucking GOOD

brentech

How about just starting with a guy who actually has some experience at center? I never said he had to be good, but something like being able to snap the ball should be kind of a given at this level, shouldn't it?

The starting center at the beginning of camp was Shelley Smith, an OG who has been in the league since 2010. He has 2 career starts and only 14 games that he's even played in, and no experience at center. That is pitiful.
Nope. Cause it's more about the QB and center just being on the same page. Just because a center had experience doesn't mean they want the snap the same way and it always comes out that way when they are just doing it without thinking.
Shit takes time.

eznark

Banned

It takes like a week to get it down, you're making way too big a deal about the snaps. An experienced guy who can recognize fronts and make line adjustments is better than a rookie center (unless that rookie center is a Wisconsin stud and steal of the 2013 draft).

Everyone really needs to relax about these first week of practice tweets.

ShaneB

If you support us in our endeavor to defeat the evil that has infested the AFC East for so long you are a good man. That's already more than we can say about a lot of confused souls in this thread like Dutch and gata.

Yeah, it's tiring having the Patriots waltz into the playoffs as the AFCE winners. Would love that division getting flipped all over the place.

Plus with my brother as a Pats fan I can't cheer the same team as him. It just doesn't work!

hehe, sssshh

It's all good :)

It takes like a week to get it down, you're making way too big a deal about the snaps. An experienced guy who can recognize fronts and make line adjustments is better than a rookie center (unless that rookie center is a Wisconsin stud and steal of the 2013 draft).

Everyone really needs to relax about these first week of practice tweets.
How can I relax after watching the 2013 Dolphins o-line for 16 games?

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a team to have two offensive linemen with experience playing center.

bionic77

How can I relax after watching the 2013 Dolphins o-line for 16 games?

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a team to have two offensive linemen with experience playing center.
Its impossible to have good replacements for all of the lineman. This applies to the entire team as well.

A lot of football is luck.

bionic77

You guys don't know what I've been through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZourGM6KRo
I went to an Eagles game where the Eagles sacked Ben like 10 times in 3 quarters. I think Ben is the most sacked qb since he came into the league.

Its not just our teams though. Everyone has been through that. Ask Packer fans about games where Rodgers has been sacked multiple times and their line looks like swiss cheese.

Sometimes the other team is better and sometimes your team sucks.

Thats football.

bionic77

Ray Rice speaks to the media this morning. Could be a disaster.
It won't be.

The PR firm that the Ravens hired will have coached him to apologize for everything. Talk about how he is sorry and it was a mistake. He can't control what happened. All he can do is make sure to be a better man, a better father, and a better teammate. He is so thankful for God and the support of his teammates and family. He could not have gotten here with them.

Then he say that he has said all he wants on the issue and wants to just focus on football for the rest of the season.

The only way this is a disaster is if goes off that script.

It won't be.

The PR firm that the Ravens hired will have coached him to apologize for everything. Talk about how he is sorry and it was a mistake. He can't control what happened. All he can do is make sure to be a better man, a better father, and a better teammate. He is so thankful for God and the support of his teammates and family. He could not have gotten here with them.

Then he say that he has said all he wants on the issue and wants to just focus on football for the rest of the season.

The only way this is a disaster is if goes off that script.

Harbaugh said he hopes Ray "speaks from the heart". I hope he speaks a prepared statement that he was far, far removed from writing and editing.

I went to an Eagles game where the Eagles sacked Ben like 10 times in 3 quarters. I think Ben is the most sacked qb since he came into the league.

Its not just our teams though. Everyone has been through that. Ask Packer fans about games where Rodgers has been sacked multiple times and their line looks like swiss cheese.

Sometimes the other team is better and sometimes your team sucks.

Thats football.
Rodgers and Roethlisberger have never been sacked 58 times in a season, but I will grant you that they have both come fairly close. The Dolphins o-line I watched last year was the worst I have ever seen for the team since I started watching football. Not only did they suck at pass blocking, they were also horrible at opening up lanes for the RB's. This year they will have five new starters in week one so I think my concern is somewhat justified!

More tweets from Walker:

#Dolphins OL Shelley Smith admits he has a lot of work to do if he wants to play center.
I don't know if I've ever watched a training camp with this many bad snaps in the first week. #Dolphins
Random #Dolphins joke: Maybe John Denney should play center. He can snap. #JustKidding

Rotoworld said:
Colts LG Donald Thomas re-tore his quad during Wednesday's practice and will need surgery.

It's the same injury that cost Thomas the final 14 games of last season. This tear will likely cost him all 16 games this year, meaning he will have played in two games since signing a four-year, $14 million deal with the Colts in March of 2013. It's another stinging blow to the Colts as Thomas was projected to start at left guard, the primary backup center and improve the unit's run blocking. They'll now have to thrust second-round rookie Jack Mewhort into a major role.

Luck :[

bionic77

Harbaugh said he hopes Ray "speaks from the heart". I hope he speaks a prepared statement that he was far, far removed from writing and editing.
:lol

He will be reading front the script bro. Don't worry about that.

The damage has been done.

The only question is if he can still play football.

Rodgers and Roethlisberger have never been sacked 58 times in a season, but I will grant you that they have both come fairly close. The Dolphins o-line I watched last year was the worst I have ever seen for the team since I started watching football. Not only did they suck at pass blocking, they were also horrible at opening up lanes for the RB's. This year they will have five new starters in week one so I think my concern is somewhat justified!

More tweets from Walker:
Erron and Ben have the ability to elude pass rushers and create extra time on their own so they can at times disguise shitty o-line play or when they fuck up they can make the line look worse than it is. Ben does more freelancing than Rodgers so you see both of these happen more with him.

I didn't watch enough of the Dolphins last year to really say what the problem was with the line. Really the whole team has to do their job for pass protection and run blocking to work.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This is the best time to lose your center. The Dolphins line has a few weeks of practice and preseason games to get their shit together. With good coaching they should still be able to run their offense and with the added benefit of having another backup with real game experience later in the year if someone else goes down.

What you don't want to happen is have it happen in the middle of the season with no one who is capable of stepping in right away (see Steelers last year).

The first series of the first game isn't the middle of the season.

Greg

Erron and Ben have the ability to elude pass rushers and create extra time on their own so they can at times disguise shitty o-line play or when they fuck up they can make the line look worse than it is. Ben does more freelancing than Rodgers so you see both of these happen more with him.

I didn't watch enough of the Dolphins last year to really say what the problem was with the line. Really the whole team has to do their job for pass protection and run blocking to work.
as bad as the line has been at times, Rodgers needs to stop being a dumb bitch and get rid of the ball

Mcnabb on Foles:

“I’m just worried about that aspect, not so much of his health, but can you be consistent like what we saw last year? We’ve seen so many quarterbacks give us one year of greatness, and then all of a sudden they can’t live up to the expectations. I’m not saying he can’t do that in that offense, but I think expectations are a little bit too high for Nick Foles.

"When you're in command of an offense like that, the confidence is so high going into this offseason about Nick Foles, instead of the offense. Guys remember that. Guys have that in mind going into workouts, and they're hearing so much about the quarterback. But for Nick Foles, he’s never truly been a guy where the focus is on him. In Philadelphia, the focus is on the quarterback. If he can’t do the same things he did in that first season, it’s gonna be tough."

Top Bottom