• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I love the statistics of that game.

Dallas Cowboys Pittsburgh Steelers
First downs 15 25
First downs rushing 5 9
First downs passing 10 15
First downs penalty 0 1
Third down efficiency 2/10 9/19
Fourth down efficiency 1/1 2/4
Net yards rushing 56 103
Rushing attempts 25 31
Yards per rush 2.2 3.3
Passing – Completions/attempts 15/23 28/49
Times sacked-total yards 2–11 4–32
Interceptions thrown 0 3
Net yards passing 198 207
Total net yards 254 310
Punt returns-total yards 1-11 2-18
Kickoff returns-total yards 3-37 5-96
Interceptions-total return yards 3–77 0–0
Punts-average yardage 5–38.2 4–44.8
Fumbles-lost 0-0 2–0
Penalties-total yards 4-25 2–15
Time of possession 26:11 33:49
Turnovers 0 3

I'm not kidding when I say that Jay Cutler is the biggest fan of an opposing team since Neil O'Donnell.

On the verge of Strahan being inducted into the Hall of Fame, here's his original scouting report from the Giants. Neat little piece of history:

Bt9TNypIcAEZebX.jpg

ShaneB

Pic of one if the new video boards, Hnnnnnnnnnnnngh! Looking good

That looks great!

From Fifteen things you need to know from training camps, I found this bit interesting...

8. Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is "ready to get weird" with an unorthodox three-safety defense that some league insiders believe could change the way defenses play in the future.

I'm not really feelin work today guys.

My thoughts as well. Plenty of people on vacation today here because it's a long weekend, so everything is pretty relaxed, but I've got a lot of stuff to do. Bah.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm worried about this year's D line. McLendon is playing heavier and I don't know what to expect from him, and right now we know more about Thomas' genital sores than how he operates on the field.

Certainly the idea behind McLendon's massive weight gain is to hold up against double teams. Will he have the stamina to play with all that mass? The team played, if I heard it correctly, in base 3-4 about a third of the time, so he should be alright. However, I'm guessing we won't be seeing him in two man fronts, like Hampton played.

It's my opinion that the main reasons that the Steelers couldn't stop the run were that against heavy sets, McLendon couldn't hold his spot against doubles and that, in the nickel, Hood backed by Troy couldn't disrupt teams physically. Some of the reports out of camp say that Tuitt has been starting with Cam in the two man front. But if he's backed by Shazier, that's zero experience and not super physical, either.

As far as Cam Thomas goes, I have no idea. Might have to wait until the preseason games to get a look. That other DT spot is open, imo. Love to see Tuitt take it. Or a rotation of some sort.

If McCullers can make the team, I'll view it as a significant achievement.

Cagey

Banned
That looks great!

From Fifteen things you need to know from training camps, I found this bit interesting...

8. Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is "ready to get weird" with an unorthodox three-safety defense that some league insiders believe could change the way defenses play in the future..

Perry Fewell has run a three-safety base defense (dubbed the "Big Nickel") scheme with the Giants since 2010. We won a Super Bowl starting Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle, and Deon Grant as our base defense.

But it's good to know Rob Ryan is innovating so hard down in Louisiana tho.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That looks great!

8. Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is "ready to get weird" with an unorthodox three-safety defense that some league insiders believe could change the way defenses play in the future.

The Steelers ran three safeties most of last year in their nickel and dime sets. Not changing future defenses. Would you rather have a safety who stops the run or a linebacker who can run and cover? I guess it depends on your personnel.

Also, Shaun Suisham has been signed to a 4 year extension. That's a lot of made fg's and even more short kick offs.

I'm really curious to see how that works out.

The Raiders ran 3 safeties a lot in the first couple games last year before Branch went down, I expect we'll see more of it this year as well with Woodson, Branch and Young. Probably Dowling as well, he already worked at FS in OTA's and now they got him learning SS, so hopefully Ross will never step foot on the field during an actual game again.

Perry Fewell has run a three-safety base defense (dubbed the "Big Nickel") scheme with the Giants since 2010. We won a Super Bowl starting Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle, and Deon Grant as our base defense.

But it's good to know Rob Ryan is innovating so hard down in Louisiana tho.

If you read the article, he's not saying it's new or innovative, just that they have a lot of safeties on the roster and want to get them all on the field as much as possible.

Rob Ryan 'ready to get weird' with Saints defense

Around The League's Marc Sessler suggested in April that the New Orleans Saints' defense might be "up to something funky" with more three-safety sets this season.

Now league insiders tell Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal that coordinator Rob Ryan is "quietly crafting an unorthodox" scheme with the potential to change the way defenses play in the future.

"I'm always ready to get weird," Ryan said, per Clark.

The new idea hinges on lining up the best 11 players, with size and position decreasing in importance.

As is often the case, necessity was the mother of invention. When the Saints suffered a slew of injuries at linebacker last season, Ryan was forced to deploy three or even four safeties at a time.

Adding more safeties in various packages also accomplishes the same goal as the 1-5-5 "Radar" defense that has been used on passing downs to confuse offenses now proficient at calling out protection schemes before the snap.

"The three-safety package comes in a lot more than it's ever done in football," Ryan explained. "We have five really talented safeties on the roster and we plan on playing them all because they are really good players."

In his 2010 book Take Your Eye Off the Ball, former Jets executive and current SiriusXM NFL Radio host Pat Kirwan predicted we would begin seeing "situational" safeties to counter the increasing number of personnel groups used on offense depending on down-and-distance situations.

Ryan has the personnel to pull off that specialization at safety, featuring more defenders capable of running with tight ends, running backs and slot receivers in coverage.
Schein: Believe the hype?
Hyperbole abounds in training camps across the NFL. Fortunately, Adam Schein is here to separate fact from fiction. READ

As a rookie, Kenny Vaccaro was essentially a linebacker-cornerback hybrid, joining Troy Polamalu as the only safeties to play more than 70 percent of snaps within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage, according to Pro Football Focus.

Ballhawking free-agent acquisition Jairus Byrd trails only Earl Thomas in discussion of the NFL's premier free safeties. The Saints acknowledged the importance of hard-hitting Rafael Bush, matching the Falcons' offer for the restricted free agent. Fifth-round pick Vinnie Sunseri and undrafted rookie Pierre Warren have also impressed in camp.

It's easy for Saints fans to identify with the excitement of NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who told Clark that Ryan's plan is "the most fascinating" scheme of the 2014 season.

MechDX

Talk is Texans have released OLB Trevardo Williams. If that is true that is now 5 of 9 players drafted in 2013 no longer with the team.

eznark

Banned
Packer Report @PackerReport
Lyerla caught two TDs. One, he seemed surprised ball was coming; other was a juggling catch for a short score.
LYERLA FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK BITCHES DO DRUGS CATCH TOUCHDOWNS BE PROBABLY PSYCHOLOGICALLY UNSTABLE

The Steelers ran three safeties most of last year in their nickel and dime sets. Not changing future defenses. Would you rather have a safety who stops the run or a linebacker who can run and cover? I guess it depends on your personnel.
GIants have been doing it for years. The three safety set with Deon Grant/Antrel Rolle/Kenny Phillips was featured prominently in our 2011 Super Bowl year.

eznark

Banned
GIants have been doing it for years. The three safety set with Deon Grant/Antrel Rolle/Kenny Phillips was featured prominently in our 2011 Super Bowl year.

Packers have been running the No Safeties defense for a few years. Results are not favorable.

Dragon

Banned
The music in general in the movie just fits it so well somehow. Plus there wasn't any shoehorned romance bullshit either thankfully.

ShaneB

The Raiders ran 3 safeties a lot in the first couple games last year before Branch went down, I expect we'll see more of it this year as well with Woodson, Branch and Young. Probably Dowling as well, he already worked at FS in OTA's and now they got him learning SS, so hopefully Ross will never step foot on the field during an actual game again.

If you read the article, he's not saying it's new or innovative, just that they have a lot of safeties on the roster and want to get them all on the field as much as possible.

Thanks for posting the article and adding some clarification to my original post.

A reminder as well that maybe I should check out that book!

Tom Penny

That looks great!

Innovative? He should do that while they have bags on their head while getting ice thrown at them. Until then he's got nothing on Dallas coaching.

MechDX

How does this happen in one year...

Depends on who you ask. Some say Rick Smith but I agree with the others that it was the coaching staff. Talk came out BEFORE last season that the front office was not happy with how much control the coaching staff had over the draft. Combine that with Kubiak was the guy that hired Rick Smith. Who the hell hires their own boss?

Bt9yvgUCYAE27JA.jpg:large

Justin Tuggle, Texans ILB. Son of former Falcon LB Jesse Tuggle. Having a great camp with inside track on starting ILB spot next to Cushing

Top Bottom