• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Yankee pls, Bradford's ceiling higher than Eli's?

I'm actually not even low on Bradford, I think he'd be really good if he didn't get hurt so much. But that seems like a bit much.

Pepiope

Eli had a pretty great season statistically last year though. Far better than any season Bradford has had.

I'm more inclined to believe that 2013 Eli was an aberration versus Bradford just "never getting a fair shot in a good system".

Romo also has the best offensive line in football and no rings. I've defended Romo several times on this board but I wouldn't consider them light years apart or anything.
We shall see. I'm pretty confident in the fact that a healthy Bradford will put up better numbers than Eli Manning.

Only reason I defend Romo is because of statistics. You can't argue against numbers. Outside that, fuck the Cowboys.

I was also waiting for Future to show up finally.

Jesus, the kas is spreading.

Dude Eli is 7 years older then Bradford. Give me the younger guy for sure. Now if you are saying Eli 5 years ago it isn't even a question, I just wonder how many more productive seasons Eli has, plus I think Bradford still has a chance to be good.

Yankee pls, Bradford's ceiling higher than Eli's?

I'm actually not even low on Bradford, I think he'd be really good if he didn't get hurt so much. But that seems like a bit much.

Nick Foles is a terrible QB and yet he put up numbers comparable to Eli in Chip's system. I think Bradford has a chance to be much better then Foles ever was. No one really knows what Bradford is because he had 0 talent with the Rams and his HC has no clue how to run an offense. Chip has done a great job making guys like Foles and buttfumble look decent, if healthy Bradford should do much better.

bionic77

I would propose a bet, but it all falls down at the "healthy" bit.
Thats why his ceiling is infinite.

He has never been healthy so we will never know.

I make similar arguments with Tebow. Make a team around him that subscribes to his clean living lifestyle and I bet you they would never lose a game!

Spinluck

We shall see. I'm pretty confident in the fact that a healthy Bradford will put up better numbers than Eli Manning.

Eli's ceiling is a two incredible Superbowl runs though. I still cannot believe they won that NFC Championship against the Niners in 2011. Bradford's funeral would have been a day after considering how much Eli got fucked up that game but didn't seem to care at all. It was one of the better post season performances considering the state of that Niners D at the time.

Dude Eli is 7 years older then Bradford. Give me the younger guy for sure. Now if you are saying Eli 5 years ago it isn't even a question, I just wonder how many more productive seasons Eli has, plus I think Bradford still has a chance to be good.

One would still be more than Bradford's entire career.

Pepiope

Eli's ceiling is a two incredible Superbowl runs though. I still cannot believe they won that NFC Championship against the Niners in 2011. Bradford's funeral would have been a day after considering how much Eli got fucked up that game but didn't seem to care at all. It was one of the better post season performances considering the state of that Niners D at the time.
We are discussing Eli in his present state. I would not want him on my team right now, not at his current price tag, and especially not if he becomes the highest paid QB in the league.

Line_HTX

Good morning, you people!

#TexansCamp ‏@HoustonTexans 2m2 minutes ago

Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller...

Vince Wilfork is at it again.

MUST SEE.

WATCH --> http://bit.ly/1UQVAa3

I hit the highway... makin' money on the fly away... but there's got to be a better way, a better way better way, yay-yah~

Vince be smokin' big killa

Spinluck

We are discussing Eli in his present state. I would not want him on my team right now, not at his current price tag, and especially not if he becomes the highest paid QB in the league.

Well true, I wouldn't either if he wanted that much money. But I think he's still a good QB. Imagine if he had his brothers regular season powers, he would have probably been the best ever!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If I'm looking to win a Super Bowl in the next three seasons, right now I would take Eli Manning at $25 million in Green Bay over Sam Bradford at even $5-10 million every day of the week.

I don't think you'd get many non-Eagles fans to see it any differently either. Chip's "system" isn't even proven yet for that matter...need to string together a few seasons before I can call it "proven". Remember that this league is all about countering new innovations after getting one good season on tape.

Pepiope

If I'm looking to win a Super Bowl in the next three seasons, right now I would take Eli Manning at $25 million in Green Bay over Sam Bradford at even $5-10 million every day of the week.

I don't think you'd get many non-Eagles fans to see it any differently either. Chip's "system" isn't even proven yet for that matter...need to string together a few seasons before I can call it "proven". Remember that this league is all about countering new innovations after getting one good season on tape.
Eli is the safe pick, obviously. Bradford is more of a risk, but the Eagles needed to take one, so here we are.

2 double digit win seasons after taking over a 4 win team all with no qb isnt enough to prove his system works?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Eli is the safe pick, obviously. Bradford is more of a risk, but the Eagles needed to take one, so here we are.

Sure, out of the options that the Eagles had, it may have made the most sense. I think arguing Bradford vs. Foles is a much bigger grey area than Bradford vs. Eli though.

2 double digit win seasons after taking over a 4 win team all with no qb isnt enough to prove his system works?

In this league you need two consecutive seasons to prove anything works. Remember when the wildcat was hot shit and all that talk about bringing the college game to the pros? Any new offense isn't tested until their second season when everyone has tape and time to cover it.

Sure, out of the options that the Eagles had, it may have made the most sense. I think arguing Bradford vs. Foles is a much bigger grey area than Bradford vs. Eli though.

In this league you need two consecutive seasons to prove anything works. Remember when the wildcat was hot shit and all that talk about bringing the college game to the pros? Any new offense isn't tested until their second season when everyone has tape and time to cover it.
This upcoming season will be chips 3rd nfl season.

This upcoming season will be chips 3rd nfl season.

It's a good bullet point, sure but this season will really give us insight into whether Chip's belief that his system is more important than the players in it is the right one or not.

Let's be real, Chip was still heavily relying on an Andy Reid built team for better or worse. The Eagle had some nice pieces offensively to work with. At the time he had one of the best backs in the game (McCoy), a solid if not great offensive line to work with when healthy and weapons at WR in Jackson/Maclin, etc.Defensively the Eagles have been shit for a number of years now so we'll call that even.

Regardless, Chip's "system" as it were is offense oriented. Come this season, Chip has shed a lot of the older Andy Reid holdovers either through free agency or forced attrition. For better or worse, he's building /his/ team. That's fine and I think Eagles fandom will be in a better place to to say Chip's system is proven if the team sees success this season and beyond. It will be deserved at that point, too. Especially if Sam Bradford does prove to be a key component to that success.

Milchjon

HEY. Anyone who lives in a country that borders the Mayonnaise, Fries and Beer Superpower known as Belgium and doesn't post anime in an NFL thread is awesome in my book.

I constantly have to defend Belgian beer styles to Germans who don't know shit.

You'd think coriander and candi sugar killed their moms.

Well shit I forgot so you got me there.

I'm still going to die on this hill that Eli is better than Bradford. I know I have the high ground here!
Clearly Eli had had the much better career and honestly he is probably a better qb at this point in time. I just think most people would take the guy that is 7 years younger and was highly regarded coming into the league. Bradford could be terrible but there is no way to judge that based on what happened with the Rams.

Striker

As long as he has McAdoo I think he has plenty. It's a QB-friendly system and has more short passes than your average offense. His body isn't taking a beating by tossing dozens of balls downfield like its nobody's business like he did under Gilbride. Go watch the NFC Title game in 2011 and watch how many times Eli gets smacked around by that Niners front seven. He was fantastic that game. But those shots take a toll after a while. Present day, of course, losing dudes to injury prior to camp isn't helping matters. These constant injuries to the line and RB's have hurt him, despite excelling in the air. Look at how many times Romo threw the ball and had the Cowboys offense rely on the ground game to win games. It lengthens his career.

Clearly Eli had had the much better career and honestly he is probably a better qb at this point in time. I just think most people would take the guy that is 7 years younger and was highly regarded coming into the league. Bradford could be terrible but there is no way to judge that based on what happened with the Rams.
wat

probably

Line_HTX

Had to get older, man, it got colder.
I done got grown and got a chip on my shoulder...

CMs3dMFUsAQZUcN.jpg

Astros' SS Carlos Correa: "I feel like [Jose] Altuve here."

CMs8YvPUEAAJhb5.jpg:large

Correa says if he played football he would've been a QB.
Hoy WHO? He should opt out of his contract with the Astros and start at QB instead!

Apparently Clowney told Correa that he wanted to hit back after getting hit by a baseball, so he stopped playing and went to football instead.

Hindl

It's a good bullet point, sure but this season will really give us insight into whether Chip's belief that his system is more important than the players in it is the right one or not.

Let's be real, Chip was still heavily relying on an Andy Reid built team for better or worse. The Eagle had some nice pieces offensively to work with. At the time he had one of the best backs in the game (McCoy), a solid if not great offensive line to work with when healthy and weapons at WR in Jackson/Maclin, etc.Defensively the Eagles have been shit for a number of years now so we'll call that even.

Regardless, Chip's "system" as it were is offense oriented. Come this season, Chip has shed a lot of the older Andy Reid holdovers either through free agency or forced attrition. For better or worse, he's building /his/ team. That's fine and I think Eagles fandom will be in a better place to to say Chip's system is proven if the team sees success this season and beyond. It will be deserved at that point, too. Especially if Sam Bradford does prove to be a key component to that success.

Yeah I'll agree with this. The first two years, Chip tried to get things done with Andy's team, and 10-6 (+/- a few wins) looks like the ceiling. So he decided to make his team this offseason, and it was necessary. Because now, if Chip fails, it's all on him. If he hadn't been given complete control, and things go south, there's always the "What If?" scenario if we had given him everything to make his team. But now he's built the team he wants. This will be the first season we see his full vision, and any failures/successes will be laid at his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom