• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skins banned RG3 from talking to the media after his "best qb in the nfl" speech

@BartHubbuch
The Redskins are shutting off RG3's non-gameday access "for a while" after his boast controversy. I hope the NFL and local media intervene.
Grown man RG3 incapable of dealing on his own with other grown people possessing notebooks and microphones, per the Redskins.

(I'm about to defend iRG3, barf)

The hilarious part of this is that the "controversy" is completely invented by national media spinning his words out of proportion. Here's the full quote:

Captain Cornball said:
I don’t feel like I have to come out here and show anybody anything or why I’m better than this guy or better than that guy. It’s more about going out and affirming that for me, I go out and I play, I know I’m the best quarterback on this team. I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that. Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.

This is what got picked out:

I’m the best quarterback in the league

I mean, fuck is he supposed to say? "Nah, I'm a fucking bum who gets hurts like every other snap and won't ever be shit in the NFL, but Imma still collect dem checks tho plehboi!"

He says that and he suddenly has no heart, no will, no desire. He says what he says and he's delusional and arrogant.

Guy can't win in the court of public opinion.

RBH

Training camp wasn’t exactly the most thrilling event for Bruce Smith during his Hall of Fame career.

It was purely a necessarily evil.

So why was Smith, who played 19 NFL seasons, so eager to get to the Atlanta Falcons camp this week?

“I’m visiting the camp, not going to camp,” Smith told USA TODAY Sports. “There’s a difference.”

Smith, owner of the NFL’s all-time sack record, is back in the Falcons’ camp Tuesday at Flowery Branch, Ga., as a special guest of the coaching staff. On Monday, he assisted defensive line coach Bryan Cox on the field, had a one-on-one session with coach Dan Quinn and provided pointers to the players.

His mission: Give something back to the game.

“I’ve got no desire to coach,” said Smith, who lives in Virginia Beach, Va., and is busy as a real estate developer involved in multiple hotel projects. “But I’ve got a great desire to pass the knowledge on.”

The Falcons could surely use some input from a man who notched 200 career sacks. Quinn inherited a defense that was tied for 30th in the NFL in 2014 with 22 sacks (the same total that Kansas City star Justin Houston led the NFL with). Over the past three seasons, Atlanta has tallied an NFL-low 83 sacks.

Talented young Falcons, including second-year D-tackle Ra’Shede Hageman and first-round rookie edge rusher Vic Beasley should be sure to soak up Smith’s message,

“We sat down for a half hour and I listened to him talk about pass rush,” Quinn told reporters after Monday’s practice. “I got better today from being around Bruce and what an honor it is for us to have him here and help work with our guys just for a short time.

“I have so much respect for him and his game and his approach. It was awesome to have him here. I think it’s endless, that relationship and how far it can go, and just a tip that could lead to something bigger.”

Smith said he began thinking about what he could offer the Falcons quite some time ago. Last summer, the Falcons were featured on Hard Knocks, and Smith was a bit put off by the defensive line drills he saw while watching in one episode.

“I was shaking my head,” Smith said. “What were they thinking? Just the art of rushing the quarterback is being lost. And that’s pretty much the case around the league.”

After Smith shared his concern recently with Terry Robiskie, the Falcons’ receivers coach, it led to the team inviting the Hall of Famer to camp.

Good move. While getting to know Smith during his heyday with the Buffalo Bills, it quickly became apparent that for all of his physical gifts and grit, he was a master technician.

All of these years later, that’s still the case.

“Our biggest asset as pass-rushers is separation,” Smith told me. “There’s not an offensive lineman that can catch us once you get past them. It’s getting your hip past their hip.”

In earning 11 Pro Bowl selections and nine first-team All-Pro mentions, Smith posted double-digit sacks in 13 of his seasons. What may be overlooked when considering his consistent production is that he excelled as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. The positioning in the interior of the line while in the base defense made it paramount for Smith to complement his foot speed with his hands.

That emphasis, though, was a learned skill – a point that he’ll surely make to Falcons players.

After entering the NFL as the No. 1 pick overall in 1985, then-Bills defensive coordinator Hank Bullough maintained to Smith that he was wasting too much energy, which cost him production. Smith also recalled the help he received from veteran players Ben Williams and Lucius Sanford, who urged him to develop his hands to ward off blockers.

Then came Ted Cottrell, who arrived as Smith’s D-line coach with the Bills in 1986. Smith says he would have never made the Hall of Fame without Cottrell demanding that he become a student of the game.

Now he’s the teacher.

“To be an effective rusher, you need three things,” Smith said. “A power move, a speed rush and a way to use your hands, inside and outside.
“Everything else is instinctive.”

That may be easier said than done. But coming from Smith, it is the heart of a lesson that is the undeniable truth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

Bruce Smith would rather come to Falcons training camp instead of the Bills training camp
Indifferent2.gif

The hilarious part of this is that the "controversy" is completely invented by national media spinning his words out of proportion. Here's the full quote:

I mean, fuck is he supposed to say? "Nah, I'm a fucking bum who gets hurts like every other snap and won't ever be shit in the NFL, but Imma still collect dem checks tho plehboi!"

He says that and he suddenly has no heart, no will, no desire. He says what he says and he's delusional and arrogant.

There's ways to brag without saying you're the best, and if you have to say you're the best when there hasn't been a season in your pro career where you haven't been hurt or benched, maybe you think too highly of yourself anyway

bionic77

You are supposed to give boring answers when you are a high profile athlete. Bull Durham did a great job of showing that. The media is always looking to start shit, especially when you play for a bum ass franchise full of losers in a town that is desperate to win.

When asked if you are the best qb on the team or in the league just throw back the standard bullshit answer that "I think every player in the NFL is truly great and I thank God everyday that I get to play the game I love in the greatest country in the world. I think my teammates on this team is special and we hope to do better than last season for the fans of what I consider to be the best city in the best country in the best galaxy in the universe".

Is it that hard to give out the standard PR shit? Some questions should not be answered. You are just setting yourself up to fall. Though I agree that was lazy journalism.

Narag

There's ways to brag without saying you're the best, and if you have to say you're the best when there hasn't been a season in your pro career where you haven't been hurt or benched, maybe you think too highly of yourself anyway

Anyone else says it about their position and it's a laugh and we roll our eyes (Remember Dee Milliner last year?), he's getting undue attention for this, I think.

Anyone else says it about their position and it's a laugh and we roll our eyes (Remember Dee Milliner last year?), he's getting undue attention for this, I think.

Dee said it at a time when everybody was deservedly ragging on Geno. The one smart thing Dee's ever done: if you're gonna be dumb, do it while someone higher on the chain is simultaneously being dumb

Nobody higher on the chain in DC than RG3

When asked if you are the best qb on the team or in the league just throw back the standard bullshit answer that "I think every player in the NFL is truly great and I thank God everyday that I get to play the game I love in the greatest country in the world. I think my teammates on this team is special and we hope to do better than last season for the fans of what I consider to be the best city in the best country in the best galaxy in the universe".

Don't lie, you got that straight from the transcript of a Russell Wilson press conference.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Whatever.

SAO isn't even obscure amongst you deviants, in fact it seems like every one of you has seen it. Don't act like it isn't part of your world.

Line_HTX

Whatever.

SAO isn't even obscure amongst you deviants, in fact it seems like every one of you has seen it. Don't act like it isn't part of your world.

It's not that. We really don't like it, but for some reason the public at large loves the show. By that, I mean the filthy casual fans with no taste that is.

AND it fucking does well in ratings on US TV every Saturday night. Consistently over 1 million viewers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can't handle this disrespect today. First you call me a nazi, then a ginger, and now a dirty animu.

I hope this thread burns to the ground.

The day Keijo!!!! get's a anime adaption is the day Trejo and MRSA embrace anime. It's a manga about a sport where women must use only their butts, hips and breast to knock other women off a platform into the water.

Very quiet. Wakes up to poop and eat then just looks around then right back to sleep. Couldn't ask for better.

Hmm I like the way this baby thinks.

EDIT: I was gonna say throw some sex in but he gets tits all the time! we have life figured out from birth, all this complexity is just confusing us

Malalaw

Hmm I like the way this baby thinks.

EDIT: I was gonna say throw some sex in but he gets tits all the time! we have life figured out from birth, all this complexity is just confusing us

Ain't that the truth. Hopefully I can take him to the Texans/Saints game.

MRSA

Banned
The day Keijo!!!! get's a anime adaption is the day Trejo and MRSA embrace anime. It's a manga about a sport where women must use only their butts, hips and breast to knock other women off a platform into the water.

You're delusional Paper. Fuckin delusional, not as bad as kas though.

Game days are way more disrespectful then this
Tony Grossi ‏ @ TonyGrossi 1m 1 minute ago
# Browns Terrelle Pryor re-tweaked hamstring. Not practicing. Game status in doubt.
The dream is dead
Kevin Jones ‏ @ Mr_KevinJones 1m 1 minute ago
Rex Ryan just walked across the field to talk to Browns DL Danny Shelton. "I watched the film, and man, I love the way you hustle!"
A new dream lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom