• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrell Suggs is an asshole. Clear intent to injure with that hit and this comment. In a fucking preseason game no less. Dude deserves to be fined and suspended.

What's wrong with the comment? He's right. You're a dumb ass if you think running a read option with someone who has a history of knee injuries is a good thing. If anything he's standing up for the QB calling out the play caller for putting their QB at more risk.

Obviously, for the Eagles this won't be the last time a pass rusher tries to see if they can break Stafford. Eagles should expect more pass rushers to hit Stafford low or fold him up awkwardly.

Godslay

Banned
He's not wrong for specifically going after a players knees? What is this, the bounty era? He can hit QBs all he wants, but there's a difference between a clean hit and a dirty one.

Legs are fair game. He wasn't in the pocket, and was running a read-option play. He's no longer a QB, he's a RB.

RBs, TEs, WRs, get their legs cut out from underneath them or tackled via the legs all the time.

JABEE

Legs are fair game. He wasn't in the pocket, and was running a read-option play. He's no longer a QB, he's an RB.

RBs, TEs, WRs, get their legs cut out from underneath them all the time.
He was in the pocket. Bradford was not in a running posture and had clearly handed the ball off.

Legs are fair game. He wasn't in the pocket, and was running a read-option play. He's no longer a QB, he's a RB.

RBs, TEs, WRs, get their legs cut out from underneath them or tackled via the legs all the time.

Wtf were you watching? He was in the pocket. Suggs got to him late after hand off as well.

CNEItxXWwAAh2wp.jpg

Bread

Banned
Well, you said he didn't. His hands are smaller than the average, so they are small if we are sticking to the conversation

Does it matter for the sake of the game? Probably not, except in the cold, blustery NE air come December. With fully inflated balls.
I guess I don't consider slightly below average to be tiny

Godslay

Banned
He was in the pocket. It was a hand-off and Bradford was not in a running posture and had clearly handed the ball off.

It was a classic read option play. You can tell by the way Bradford handles the ball. He was also clearly outside of a pocket (which was non-existent, because the line moves forward and laterally to run block), Suggs didn't have to go for the legs, but he wasn't in the wrong for doing so. He was within the rules of the game for read-options plays as it pertains to QBs.

Wtf were you watching? He was in the pocket. Suggs got to him late after hand off as well.

Watch the line. There was no 'pocket', they either moved laterally or forward to run block.

https://cdn2.streamable.com/video/webm/y1fk.webm

MechDX

It was a classic read option play. You can tell by the way Bradford handles the ball. He was also clearly outside of a pocket (which was non-existent, because the line moves forward and laterally to run block), Suggs didn't have to go for the legs, but he wasn't in the wrong for doing so. He was within the rules of the game for read-options plays as it pertains to QBs.

Watch the line. There was no 'pocket', they either moved laterally or forward to run block.

Slay is right. This hit is well within the confines of the rules.

Was there intent to injure? Yes
Is Suggs already a giant douchebag either way? Yes

But still a legal hit

JABEE

The explanation for how Read Option Calls work...

Per Blandino:

"He is still treated as a runner until he is clearly out of the play. The quarterback makes the pitch, he's still a runner - he can be hit like a runner until he's clearly out of the play."

The quarterback and the running back, they're both treated as runners. We don't know who has the football, we don't know who's going to take it, so both players are treated as runners.

The basic concept is, the quarterback position is not defenseless throughout the down. It's the posture he presents that will dictate his protections."

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/9/5/4699204/nfl-read-option-rules-quarterback-hits

Read option does not mean that the QB is a runner. They are a runner as long as they are in the play. Bradford clearly fades back and is not in a running posture. Suggs then proceeds to go for Bradford's left knee.

I also don't believe Bradford attempted to trick the defense. Bradford never feigned a run or scramble.

Wait... a minute the eagles have Thurmond too? They still have Maragos? What the fuck is this shit? Wananbe Seahawks? And he and Max got a pick today?

What is this bull shit.

Godslay

Banned
The explanation for how Read Option Calls work...

Per Blandino:

"He is still treated as a runner until he is clearly out of the play. The quarterback makes the pitch, he's still a runner - he can be hit like a runner until he's clearly out of the play."

The quarterback and the running back, they're both treated as runners. We don't know who has the football, we don't know who's going to take it, so both players are treated as runners.

The basic concept is, the quarterback position is not defenseless throughout the down. It's the posture he presents that will dictate his protections."

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/9/5/4699204/nfl-read-option-rules-quarterback-hits

Read option does not mean that the QB is a runner. They are a runner as long as they are in the play. Bradford clearly fades back and is not in a running posture. Suggs then proceeds to go for Bradford's left knee.

I also don't believe Bradford attempted to trick the defense. Bradford never feigned a run or scramble.

Exact same play... or close enough to get the idea.

https://youtu.be/TUIb1N8fDrY

JABEE

The official word of the NFL said that it depends on the running posture of the QB and whether he is still attempting to trick the defense.

Suggs hit Bradford after he was clearly out of the play fading backwards. The referee made the right call.

I guess it makes sense for defenses to defend QBs like that, but it was obvious Suggs was trying to go at Bradford's injured knee. He wanted to get his shot in.

The rules do not support him, but it makes sense to defend the play that way.

BigAT

The official word of the NFL said that it depends on the running posture of the QB and whether he is still attempting to trick the defense.

Suggs hit Bradford after he was clearly out of the play fading backwards. The referee made the right call.

I guess it makes sense for defenses to defend QBs like that, but it was obvious Suggs was trying to go at Bradford's injured knee. He wanted to get his shot in.

The rules do not support him, but it makes sense to defend the play that way.

Uh, Bradford still has his hand on the ball the moment before Suggs launches...

AdqKQzD.jpg

You can't say he was clearly out of the play.

JABEE

Uh, Bradford still has his hand on the ball the moment before Suggs launches...

AdqKQzD.jpg

You can't say he was clearly out of the play.
It looked late watching it live. It makes sense to defend that way. I thought Suggs was clearly taking a dirty shot.

There are also other pictures of Bradford bracing for contact and fading away at the moment of Suggs launching.

It was late. It's the preseason. I'm just happy Bradford is okay.

gutshot

CNEGEfIU8AASBNV.png:large

Bradford clearly not a threat to run here. That's why it was a penalty. And diving into the knees of a QB with two ACL surgeries in the past year or so is a dirty play whether it is technically within the rules or not.

Godslay

Banned
CNEGEfIU8AASBNV.png:large

Bradford clearly not a threat to run here. That's why it was a penalty. And diving into the knees of a QB with two ACL surgeries in the past year or so is a dirty play whether it is technically within the rules or not.

Suggs has the right to pursue whoever he thinks is the ball carrier in a read option play.

Here's another play that's pretty much the same play, is this QB not an option to run?

6c60d0d7f1d838fad5ebe429d902e6ec_original.png

I know you guys want to play it off not a read option play, but Suggs doesn't have to pull up on such a play and made his read to who he though had the ball.

BigAT

It looked late watching it live. It makes sense to defend that way. I thought Suggs was clearly taking a dirty shot.

There are also other pictures of Bradford bracing for contact and fading away at the moment of Suggs launching.

It was late. It's the preseason. I'm just happy Bradford is okay.

I'm not saying it wasn't dirty. It's Suggs, I'm not an idiot. But a lot of your arguments for why isn't a legal are disingenuous given the speed of the play.

TheFatOne

The only problem with the Suggs play is that he went too low. Otherwise it's within the rules. Have to punish QBs in the read option. That's how you defend it.

JABEE

I'm not saying it wasn't dirty. It's Suggs, I'm not an idiot. But a lot of your arguments for why isn't a legal are disingenuous given the speed of the play.
I would agree. It makes sense to defend the play that way. I just think Suggs believed the wiggle room referees give to defenders on those plays gave him a free pass to take dirty shots at the QB. He was licking his chops for that one.

The rule deems the QB a runner as long as they assume a running posture and are in the play. The timing can be interpreted. The referees did this on the field. Watching it live, it appeared dirty. That may be my bias as an Eagles fan though.

Godslay

Banned
I would agree. It makes sense to defend the play that way. I just think Suggs believed the wiggle room referees give to defenders on those plays gave him a free pass to take dirty shots at the QB. He was licking his chops for that one.

The rule deems the QB a runner as long as they assume a running posture and are in the play. The timing can be interpreted. The referees did this on the field. Watching it live, it appeared dirty. That may be my bias as an Eagles fan though.

That is a running position in a read option play. It's typical, you can see him extend out to the mesh point, reading Suggs off the left side of the line, and he makes the right read. Problem was Suggs was already there and picked who he thought had the ball and went for it.

Shouldn't have been a penalty, but refs get it wrong all the time.

I'm not saying it wasn't legal. I'm not saying he shouldn't hit the QB. I'm saying he's a scumbag for going after the legs. He was clearly doing nothing but trying to injure someone, he even fucking knew the play wasn't to Bradford. There is not really a debate here, it was a dirty hit. It's like the guys who put helmet to helmet hits down before it was illegal specifically to injure people, which also happened all of the time.

Bread

Banned
I'm not saying it wasn't legal. I'm not saying he shouldn't hit the QB. I'm saying he's a scumbag for going after the legs. He was clearly doing nothing but trying to injure someone, he even fucking knew the play wasn't to Bradford. There is not really a debate here, it was a dirty hit. It's like the guys who put helmet to helmet hits down before it was illegal specifically to injure people, which also happened all of the time.
if you're just trying to convince the world that suggs is a scumbag, it won't take much effort.

Godslay

Banned

That's not what the argument was. I said he wasn't wrong and showed you why.

In terms of interpreting as dirty, that's on you. Within the rules it's a clean hit.

I disagree that it was dirty. Like I've stated before all skill positons get clipped at the legs to be tackled.

If you don't want guys diving at your QBs legs don't run the read option with a guy who's ACL is basically the radiator belt off the team's bus.

That's not what the argument was. I said he wasn't wrong and showed you why.

In terms of interpreting as dirty, that's on you. Within the rules it's a clean hit.

I disagree that it was dirty. Like I've stated before all skill positons get clipped at the legs to be tackled.

If you don't want guys diving at your QBs legs don't run the read option with a guy who's ACL is basically the radiator belt off the team's bus.

Yeah, I think dirty hits are wrong, and I don't think that is all that controversial. Just like I think the Carson Palmer rule type hit was dirty before it was illegal. Just cause something is not an illegal play doesn't absolve it from being dirty. That's Patriot level philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom