• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people honestly counting out the Packers because of the Nelson injury?

Seriously?

They still have the best QB in the league, Eddie Lacy, Cobb, and a good defense. Will they reach the SB without Jordy? Probably not. But they'll still be damn good.

Rodgers beat us on one leg last year (literally), and Jordy didn't even have a great game.

Bowser

BTW, dunno if this was posted, but the Suggs hit on Bradford was legal per the NFL. You can argue the intent (and it seemed like he intentionally targeted the knee), but it was a legal play:

The NFL said Terrell Suggs' hit on Sam Bradford was a legal one and that officials erred in flagging the Ravens linebacker for roughing the passer during Saturday night's game against the Eagles.

"It's not a foul by rule," NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said Monday morning during an interview with NFL Network.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13499734/nfl-says-terrell-suggs-low-hit-sam-bradford-was-legal

They still have the best QB in the league, Eddie Lacy, Cobb, and a good defense. Will they reach the SB without Jordy? Probably not. But they'll still be damn good.

Rodgers beat us on one leg last year (literally), and Jordy didn't even have a great game.

I think your QB had a little to do with that also.

So everyone here except Eagles homers were right. Shocking!

I don't know many Eagles homers here who said it was illegal. I said it was legal but dirty. Shocking!

The only discrepancy I had was I didn't realize it could be considered a read option if the QB never made a fake so as to establish himself as a runner. Godslay corrected me on that and that was end of story.

The Eagles almost NEVER use a read option in the traditional sense, as the QB almost never keeps it himself. I think Foles/Sanchez actually kept it and ran with it five or six times total last season. The option is 95% of the time whether or not to handoff or pass the ball, not run the ball, so there was a bit of a disconnect as to why he would be considered a runner when he never made a motion to run, and in almost every circumstance the Eagles have run a similar play the QB was a passer. The rules however don't make that distinction, so it is what it is.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Please tell me even the dipshit Eagles fans we have here didn't think that call was correct.

There is a clear difference between those first two photos and the last one. In the first two, the tackled player has the ball. Bradford had handed the ball off before Suggs went low on him. Now yes, the rules technically state on a read-option play the QB is considered a runner. But this still doesn't give a defender carte blanche to dive at a defenseless player's knees. Suggs' comment makes it clear to me that he was intentionally headhunting and trying to use the rule as an excuse for why it is legal. He was going to dive at Bradford's knees the first chance he got and it's no shock to me he got flagged for it and will probably face a fine, as well.

Obviously detecting a bit of sarcasm isn't your strong suit. He isn't going to draw a season long suspension, but a fine or some type of punishment I'm sure will come.

He hit a stationary QB on his lower body. That is the Brady rule. He will get some type of punishment because it's obviously that the hit was intentional. It's pointless to have a discussion if you can't agree on that premise. It most certainly should have drawn a flag, and it did, immediately.

It is a split-second play, and as I posted earlier, there are still protections of the QB is not in a running posture or has faded out of the play as the referees interpreted this call.

Bradford was not in a running posture.

They may have changed their minds by now but I'd say some of them thought it was correct initially.

MechDX

I seriously can't wrap my head around this Hoyer decision. He is just a cross between Matt Schaub and Fitzpatrick but without Fitzs mobility. I can't find one fan or media person online who is happy with this decision. Most local media are saying it was a pre determined decision and Malett never actually had a chance.

I believe O ' Brien can and will be a great coach but this "decision" is weakening my resolve

I seriously can't wrap my head around this Hoyer decision. He is just a cross between Matt Schaub and Fitzpatrick but without Fitzs mobility. I can't find one fan or media person online who is happy with this decision. Most local media are saying it was a pre determined decision and Malett never actually had a chance.

I believe O ' Brien can and will be a great coach but this "decision" is weakening my resolve

It's pretty simple:

Mallet ain't shit.

*The Patriot Way*

bionic77

They may have changed their minds by now but I'd say some of them thought it was correct initially.
If you thought this butthurt was bad wait until someone loses a playoff game because of a missed extra point to send the game to OT.

Its going to happen. Probably this year.

And probably to the Steelers. :(

If you thought this butthurt was bad wait until someone loses a playoff game because of a missed extra point to send the game to OT.

I think the new extra point rules are great, especially the penalty aspects. If they weren't going to change the rule they should just have gotten rid of extra points entirely and made a TD worth 7.

cdyhybrid

Wouldn't they have to make the playoffs for that to happen?

I think the new extra point rules are great, especially the penalty aspects. If they weren't going to change the rule they should just have gotten rid of extra points entirely and made a TD worth 7.
I would have preferred that. I like the XP being a gimme essentially, kind of like NFL Blitz. This new rule sucks because it puts even more weight on kickers which is just terrible.

MechDX

It's pretty simple:

Mallet ain't shit.

*The Patriot Way*

Maybe it is but we will never know. Mallett has some unknown about him but EVERYONE knows what Hoyer is: a game manager with a slightly below normal arm and the charisma of a paper bag.

Mallett at least has a howitzer for an arm and that alone can be a big plus since Arian is out for a while. A gunslinger who will piss you off one play with an errant pass but wow you on the next.

I would have preferred that. I like the XP being a gimme essentially, kind of like NFL Blitz. This new rule sucks because it puts even more weight on kickers which is just terrible.

Anything which makes the games closer and more exciting is a plus for me. I guess we'll have to see if it actually plays out that way, but the way I see it the change has a chance to do that. If it doesn't do that I will retroactively call the NFL stupid. As it was though there was absolutely no point in kicking extra points.

bionic77

Wouldn't they have to make the playoffs for that to happen?
Unless we get fucked by injuries we should make the playoffs.

Our kicker is gone too so bookmark this post and remember it when we lose in the AFC Championship because of one or two missed extra points.

cdyhybrid

This is the smart thing to do. But when was the last time the NFL did something intelligent?

I'd rather they get rid of PATs, keep TDs at 6 points, and allow a two-point attempt. Or make TDs 6 and the play-after-TD be worth one.

Just get rid of kicking the ball after a touchdown, essentially.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I've been trying to tell you this for weeks now.

McClain is reporting he told another team during an interview that they should go and get Hoyer for QB!

seriously. Hoyer better play out of his damn mind or people are going to be pissed.

Dragon

Banned
The Blue & Silver runs strong in my family. My father has it, my grandfather had it, I have it.

You have that power, too.

Blue & Silver runs in Jessica Simpson too...

I'd rather they get rid of PATs, keep TDs at 6 points, and allow a two-point attempt. Or make TDs 6 and the play-after-TD be worth one.

Just get rid of kicking the ball after a touchdown, essentially.

Yep, you have the option to go for two, but if you don't, a PAT is guaranteed, no need to kick it.

A gunslinger who will piss you off one play with an errant pass but wow you on the next.
c4s_freeman091210_139458d.jpg

Don't worry, you guys can pick him up soon when the Dolphins cut him.

MechDX

I've been trying to tell you this for weeks now.

McClain is reporting he told another team during an interview that they should go and get Hoyer for QB!

seriously. Hoyer better play out of his damn mind or people are going to be pissed.

You were right.

Pissed is putting it nicely. The Schaub jersey burning (as dumb as it was IMO) in 2013 will be tame in comparison.

yea, except no on was saying that.

Context. Looking for a reason to get excited for Hoyer

Godslay

Banned

On my end it wasn't anything personal. I like the Eaglebros. Even Pepiope. I may give them a hard time, but I expect it back.

If I am wrong, I will eat my crow as Squicken pointed out with Mays. I was wrong on that one.

Maybe it is but we will never know. Mallett has some unknown about him but EVERYONE knows what Hoyer is: a game manager with a slightly below normal arm and the charisma of a paper bag.

Mallett at least has a howitzer for an arm and that alone can be a big plus since Arian is out for a while. A gunslinger who will piss you off one play with an errant pass but wow you on the next.

Unless you think O'Brien is an incompetent boob (Which may very well be likely) Mallet failing to beat Hoyer out for the starting job should tell you everything you need to know about Mallett. Though to be perfectly honest, the Pats shipping him off for a bag of chips and a matching pair of socks told us that months ago.

Arm strength, as ever, is overrated. *Peyton Manning noodle arm.jpg*

MechDX

Unless you think O'Brien is an incompetent boob (Which may very well be likely) Mallet failing to beat Hoyer out for the starting job should tell you everything you need to know about Mallett. Though to be perfectly honest, the Pats shipping him off for a bag of chips and a matching pair of socks told us that months ago.

RIght now I don't know if Mallett didn't actually beat him out but O'Brien going with his guy. Plenty of media in Houston who get to attend all practices are saying Hoyer did not actually beat out Mallett in their opinion.

I also still have a feeling mallet will be traded. feel bad for the guy because he turned down 4.5 million from the Jets to come here for 1.7

RIght now I don't know if Mallett didn't actually beat him out but O'Brien going with his guy. Plenty of media in Houston who get to attend all practices are saying Hoyer did not actually beat out Mallett in their opinion.

I also still have a feeling mallet will be traded. feel bad for the guy because he turned down 4.5 million from the Jets to come here for 1.7

A beat writer was wrong about something?! Whoa!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Arm strength, as ever, is overrated. *Peyton Manning noodle arm.jpg*

you're assuming there ever was a "competition." I said it weeks ago there never was. Hoyer was brought in to be the starter. The only way he wasn't going to be is if he was just abysmal.

The game plan Saturday night showed that easily. Mallet didn't get a single opportunity to throw the ball down the field. The game plan was short check down bullshit.

andthebeatgoeson

1 year closer to the annual prostate exam
So, another reason to celebrate?

Mercedes-Benz wins naming rights to new Failcons soon to be empty stadium

MB now sponsors half of the stadiums in the NFC South (they also sponsor the Superdome)

Dat price of living. Every slop drop cat in the south east with a whole lot of debt and an apartment has a Benz. Buying too much house? They never heard of it and just jumped to the pussy wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom