• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're assuming there ever was a "competition." I said it weeks ago there never was. Hoyer was brought in to be the starter. The only way he wasn't going to be is if he was just abysmal.

The game plan Saturday night showed that easily. Mallet didn't get a single opportunity to throw the ball down the field. The game plan was short check down bullshit.

Why do you feel O'Brien is intentionally keeping Mallett from starting? What does O'Brien gain?

MechDX

A beat writer was wrong about something?! Whoa!

Every team has writers that are honest in their writings and those that are morons. There is more than one I follow and trust that is saying Hoyer didn't actually perform better.

Either way as Captive stated: Hoyer better perform or it will get ugly here. O'Brien banking on Hoyer is just dumb founding

Why do you feel O'Brien is intentionally keeping Mallett from starting? What does O'Brien gain?

Doing the exact opposite of what I thought he would. Going with the "safe" pick, the game manager. Maybe it is the water in this fucking city that makes all our head coaches sacks fall of.

Bowser

Chip salty af:

Les Bowen ‏@LesBowen 1m1 minute ago
Chip: will be troubling to league if QB can be hit as handing off in shotgun. We’ll all have to adjust

Why haven't I seen this gif before?

uQGKsAD.gif

Deacon ain't trolling, he actually has some football knowledge unlike others here
Ben-Roethlisberger2.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I don't know that its intentionally keeping Mallet down as much as he seems to have a love affair with Hoyer. He spent 3 years with him in NE. Part of it has to be the arrogance of "i can fix him, other coaches weren't coaching him right/weren't putting him in the right situations."

Every team has writers that are honest in their writings and those that are morons. There is more than one I follow and trust that is saying Hoyer didn't actually perform better.

Either way as Captive stated: Hoyer better perform or it will get ugly here. O'Brien banking on Hoyer is just dumb founding

I don't think it has anything to do with being smart or being a moron.

I follow Jim Wexell of Steel City Insider, he is a very knowledgeable beat guy who has an inside lean on the team. Every single year his predictions for who gets taken in the draft and in training camp are way off base, just like everyone. He is not part of the team and as such his opinions, while more merited considering his proximity, are ultimately worthless when it comes to the direction of the team. Read: take a beat writers opinion with a grain of salt.

In all seriousness, I think you guys are being delusional with Mallett.

O'Brien would not intentionally keep him down. There is absolutely zero reason he would need to do that as a coach.

And even if he is tangibly superior to Hoyer, how many more games do you think he's winning you over Hoyer? 1? 2? If he was considered to be worth 1 more win he would be starting.

The act of there being a competition in the first place tells you that Mallett has issues. Are you really going to end the O'Brien honeymoon over that?

captive

In all seriousness, I think you guys are being delusional with Mallett.
Its delusional to want to see what he can do? Outside of Mech's ridiculous hyperbole no one thinks Mallet is the next coming of anyone. We just want to see what he can do for a full season. He performed well against the browns, he made a lot of good plays, he made some good run checks that allowed Blue to have his best rushing game all season. He played ok against the Bengals and that was with a torn peck. So if that's delusion call me delusional. But id rather be delusional than trying the same fucking thing over again. I said it weeks ago, but when was the last time someones retread QB worked out? Kurt Warner? Rich Gannon and who else?

MechDX

Deacon, I honestly don't know what Im going to do. Im not in the stupid "Fire O'Brien" camp over this (yes it has already started) but this just reeks of Kubiak sticking with Schaub because "he is my guy"

Maybe Texans fans are just gunshy because of how 2013 went.

My 401k brehs ;_;

Yeah...down 8.15% so far :/

In other news, why can't I find a Patriots themed cat collar with a safe release.

Omg now I found one. HYPE

Dutch pls, that's cat abuse.

Hi, there! I love the Dallas Cowboys!

Welcome Brother, Romo will lead us to the promise land!!!

Its delusional to want to see what he can do? Outside of Mech's ridiculous hyperbole no one thinks Mallet is the next coming of anyone. We just want to see what he can do for a full season. He performed well against the browns, he made a lot of good plays, he made some good run checks that allowed Blue to have his best rushing game all season. He played ok against the Bengals and that was with a torn peck. So if that's delusion call me delusional. But id rather be delusional than trying the same fucking thing over again. I said it weeks ago, but when was the last time someones retread QB worked out? Kurt Warner? Rich Gannon and who else?

If he can't beat Hoyer in training camp then what makes you think he'll be any good or better in the regular season?

Right, but again I say, Mallett couldn't beat out a retread.

What that says to me is O'Brien doesn't think the answer at QB is on the roster. Doesn't seem that far off base to me. Since Schoob's meltdown the Texans have had a revolving door at QB, all this says is that it doesn't stop with Mallett.

Line_HTX

Good morning, y'all!

I'm 3 hours late, but Mech, what did I say? What did I tell you this whole time? McClain is never wrong, yo. Time for more Hoy Hoy HEB commercials.

laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

Hoy Hoy will lead us to a great season. :Mech :Mech :Mech

Oh and by the way, the current Astros logo a SHIT. The previous logo will forever remain the best looking one.

Hi, there! I love the Dallas Cowboys!

Welcome! It's always good to see new people. Now, I hope you love having pie on your face for loving the way wrong team. XD

Just stay here to stay out of trouble.

Welcome Brother,Romo will lead us to the promise land!!!

If he can't beat Hoyer in training camp then what makes you think he'll be any good or better in the regular season?

I forget that you're a Finance guy. I hope Tony and Tanehill get the sack records.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Deacon, I honestly don't know what Im going to do. Im not in the stupid "Fire O'Brien" camp over this (yes it has already started) but this just reeks of Kubiak sticking with Schaub because "he is my guy"

Time to squicken.

Get your Colts avatar ready!

captive

Dutch pls, that's cat abuse.

Welcome Brother, Romo will lead us to the promise land!!!

Right, but again I say, Mallett couldn't beat out a retread.

What that says to me is O'Brien doesn't think the answer at QB is on the roster. Since Schoob's meltdown the Texans have had a revolving door at QB, all this says is that it doesn't stop with Mallett.

you guy aren't listening. I don't think there ever was a QB competition. I don't think Mallet ever had a chance to get the job outside of injury or Hoyer was downright awful.

I think Hoyer was the starter the second he was signed.

Godslay

Banned

Just enjoy the ride.

If he's shit you'll see it and hopefully your coaching staff knows when is when. Then pray that they can evaluate and develop QB talent.

Worst case is a meddling QB that's neither good nor bad. Shit in this case is good, above average is good. Then you know where you stand.

you guy aren't listening. I don't think there ever was a QB competition. I don't think Mallet ever had a chance to get the job outside of injury or Hoyer was downright awful.

I think Hoyer was the starter the second he was signed.

I'm not arguing with you. You know your team better than I. All i'm saying is if that was the case that's all the indictment of Mallett you should need.

eznark

Banned
I don't really get the uproar. Neither QB is good. Neither QB has proven to be a total tire fire. They are both at their very highest ceiling, average. Who gives a shit?

captive

I don't really get the uproar. Neither QB is good. Neither QB has proven to be a total tire fire. They are both at their very highest ceiling, average. Who gives a shit?

How can you possibly know that based on two real games from Mallet?

Line_HTX

Yeah, whoever's doing the whole "Fire O'Brien" thing are completely delusional.

This just tells me that Hoy Hoy is good enough so that the entire team is not solely dependent on him, unlike Peyton or Aaron.

They just need to run more and score more red zones, and never punt on 4th & 1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom