• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This tantrum is the only notable throw Mallett will ever make.

Emoticon_goodjob.gif

jmdajr

How much is Mallet getting paid? I think it's next to nothing.

edit: Ryan Mallett signed a two year $7 million contract with the Houston Texans on March 10, 2015. Mallett received $1.75 million in guarantees. He can earn up to $1 million in yearly roster bonuses depending on games active.

Well there goes that bonus.

Line_HTX

edit: Ryan Mallett signed a two year $7 million contract with the Houston Texans on March 10, 2015. Mallett received $1.75 million in guarantees. He can earn up to $1 million in yearly roster bonuses depending on games active.

Oh boy, that bonus though... At least he's still guaranteed almost $2 million.

MechDX

All his and Hoyers money is due this year. Both can be cut next year and have no hit:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap/2016/

gutshot

I know this is all probably inside linebacking 101, but I still liked this explanation by DeMeco Ryans on how he diagnoses each play.

Before the play even starts, DeMeco Ryans processes a lot of information. The ball—and even his opponents—don’t have to move for Ryans’ mind to be in motion.

That’s why Eagles Defensive Coordinator Bill Davis calls the inside linebacker “the quarterback” of the defense. Like a quarterback, he diagnoses the opposition and reacts before the snap.

"If the team is huddling up, I look to see what personnel is in," Ryans said. "Once they come out, I assess the formation and where tight ends, backs and receivers are. I check the personnel and then make my calls. I diagnose and eliminate plays of what they can't run. If we're deep in the game, I probably picked up tendencies on what they are doing."

When Ryans assesses the offense's formation and personnel, he considers it all interrelated. He sees them not as disparate pieces, but as a collection of parts.

"When they have two backs and a tight end, I'm thinking run," Ryans said. "When they have three wide receivers and one tight end, I'm thinking pass. And it all depends on the personnel and if the tight ends are pass receiving guys or big blocking tight ends."

When the play actually starts, Ryans doesn't follow the ball or even the quarterback. Instead, he focuses on the offensive linemen. As the play progresses, he's able to see the running back through the linemen.

"They tell me if it's going to be a run or pass," Ryans said. "If it's run, they're going to be heavy and blocking really hard. If it's pass, they're going to set back and be light on their feet."

On run plays, Ryans' reads depend on a number of possibilities. One of the biggest factors, though, comes back to the offense's formation and personnel.

"If the fullback is in the game, most of the time the ball is going to follow him," Ryans said. "Instead of looking at the running back, I look at the fullback so I get a quicker read of where the ball is going."

On passing plays, it's often tougher to figure out where the ball—or even the receivers—will go. However, sometimes you can predict the type of routes the receivers will run depending on their alignment.

"If they're tight, they're running crossing routes," Ryans said. "If they're spaced out, they're running individual routes where they're reading the defender."

Because offenses have different tendencies, film study is the go-to resource for putting all of this information in context. It's also why Ryans thinks the most important element of the game happens before a single snap.

"A lot goes into the preparation the week before the game," he said. "That's paramount. You have to study the guys. That's really the key to how you're successful in the NFL."

Why wouldn't he be active if he was QB2?

BigAT

:jnc

You are a constant dilemma, man. Can't you just denounce the Giants?

What's the dilemma? Browns should have no beef with the Giants. We even gifted them that MNF win a few years ago when they made Braylon Edwards look like Jerry Rice.

Edit: This avatar thing is dumb, fuck the Pats.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-arizona-cardinals-1726389620

By the time we get a working quarterback our championship defense will have a median age of 92.
The single oldest continual football franchise in the NFL and we have 0 superbowl wins.
The combination of Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley started 10 games last year. It was our best regular season in 40 years.
Our coach doesn’t believe in stretching before games.

Darnell Dockett - ACL tear

Punter - groin injury

Palmer - ACL tear

LB Shaughnessy - Knee & Shoulder injuries

Mathieu - shitty knee

Calais Campbell - sprined MCL

Fitzgerald - sprained ACL

Ellington - hernia

Staton - knee sprain

I went to San Diego State and root for the Cardinals, which means Ryan Lindley has somehow managed to bring shame on the last 7 years of my life.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How awesome would it be if mallet and obrien got into a fist fight and that's why mallet wasnt at practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom