• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant wait for the Eagles to miss the playoffs.

They will make it and then bounce

They can be and are terrible but it won't matter because their division's easy as fuck. Cousins is starting in DC (and if he gets hurt RG3 will be given a 12th chance and get hurt and/or suck again), Romo's one cool breeze to his back away from being in a wheelchair (and Dallas might as well just prep for 2020 if they rely on Weeden for any length), and the Giants are on pace to break their own record for most injuries for a third straight year

effzee

Caught the NFL Network rerun of Eagles Packers.

First of all just happy Eagles came out relatively injury free. Lane Johnson doesn't seem serious. At least we will have all the starters by week 1.

2ndly I know its preseason blah blah but for a guy with so many question marks and who hasn't played nearly 2 season, Bradford looked awesome!

Excited but of course all the guys Chip picked up on offense and defense have extensive injury history. A kot of IF,s but sp far so good.

Any update on Marcus Smith? Kiko was held out right?

Malalaw

So hype for the game later! Gonna be a great test for the offense going against the Texans D.

Hoyer meanwhile will prolly have a perfect passer rating.

Line_HTX

So hype for the game later! Gonna be a great test for the offense going against the Texans D.

This will be a good test for both teams. It could change and look different on Week 12. Let's meet up for face to face disrespect.

LevelNth

Banned
Thoughts on the 1st half of the Niners from last night's game:

Overall I was very pleased. When I read they were putting in Silbermann at RG it was obvious they wanted to evaluate more on the OL rather than develop chemistry, so issues were going to arise as not game planning for Miller and Ware is deadly.

Kap - He was fine, didn't get to show a lot because of the low TOP and poor line play. How he performs in the preseason is not relevant anyways, he needs to perform when it matters.

RBs - Hyde is the real deal and an upgrade on Gore from the last two years. His upgrade in speed combined with the new ZBS is going to be awesome. Hunter unfortunately doesn't have it anymore after the ACL and Achilles injuries. Shame, but he'll be cut.

WRs - Not much to see here for the same reasons as Kap. Not an area that is a worry IMO.

TEs - Vance MacDonald's blocking was missed, as Celek is a big step down See WR for same issues.

OL - Left side is good as expected, Martin is much better at C (though might not be as good as Kilgore) and Pears is solid enough at RT (step up in PB from A. Davis, step down in RB). Silbermann isn't ready for starting at RG though, which was expected. It's definitely going to be the weakest position for the Niners this season. Much like the Seahawks and Cardinals (and many teams), the weakest area of this team is the OL. Also the hardest to evaluate until the regular season.

DL - Depth is a huge improvement from last season, and Armstead has really impressed with pure brute force and physicality. He's going to be a really, really good DL.

LB - Bowman is the best MLB in the game, and back to full health. Lemonier has really impressed me with his nose for the ball and awareness. Harold's pass rush is great for a rookie, he's going to help replace the losses from Aldon.

CBs - Easily the most underrated position group on this team. Johnson, Acker and Reaser are all continually performing, and the former two easily handled Demaryius numerous times. Impressive.

S - A faster Kam Chancellor sounded like hyperbole to me the first time I heard it, but man does Tartt move around well and 'hunt' the ball. I love our safety group.

This D is going to be Top 10 again which is simply unreal considering the turnover and new faces in the starting lineup. Baalke's defensive drafting prowess is simply unrivalled.

The offence we've been running in the PS has been very vanilla, but to see how they perform against Minnesota is going to be very intriguing. I really do think the simplification is going to help the unit immensely, but Kap still has to deliver. Nevertheless, I'm not expecting a unit that will average 25 points a game.

MechDX

Ron-Swanson-Giggles-Before-Busting-Out-Lauging-Gif-On-Parks-and-Recreation.gif

Thoughts on the 1st half of the Niners from last night's game:

Overall I was very pleased. When I read they were putting in Silbermann at RG it was obvious they wanted to evaluate more on the OL rather than develop chemistry, so issues were going to arise as not game planning for Miller and Ware is deadly.

Kap - He was fine, didn't get to show a lot because of the low TOP and poor line play. How he performs in the preseason is not relevant anyways, he needs to perform when it matters.

RBs - Hyde is the real deal and an upgrade on Gore from the last two years. His upgrade in speed combined with the new ZBS is going to be awesome. Hunter unfortunately doesn't have it anymore after the ACL and Achilles injuries. Shame, but he'll be cut.

WRs - Not much to see here for the same reasons as Kap. Not an area that is a worry IMO.

TEs - Vance MacDonald's blocking was missed, as Celek is a big step down See WR for same issues.

OL - Left side is good as expected, Martin is much better at C (though might not be as good as Kilgore) and Pears is solid enough at RT (step up in PB from A. Davis, step down in RB). Silbermann isn't ready for starting at RG though, which was expected. It's definitely going to be the weakest position for the Niners this season. Much like the Seahawks and Cardinals (and many teams), the weakest area of this team is the OL. Also the hardest to evaluate until the regular season.

DL - Depth is a huge improvement from last season, and Armstead has really impressed with pure brute force and physicality. He's going to be a really, really good DL.

LB - Bowman is the best MLB in the game, and back to full health. Lemonier has really impressed me with his nose for the ball and awareness. Harold's pass rush is great for a rookie, he's going to help replace the losses from Aldon.

CBs - Easily the most underrated position group on this team. Johnson, Acker and Reaser are all continually performing, and the former two easily handled Demaryius numerous times. Impressive.

S - A faster Kam Chancellor sounded like hyperbole to me the first time I heard it, but man does Tartt move around well and 'hunt' the ball. I love our safety group.

This D is going to be Top 10 again which is simply unreal considering the turnover and new faces in the starting lineup. Baalke's defensive drafting prowess is simply unrivalled.

The offence we've been running in the PS has been very vanilla, but to see how they perform against Minnesota is going to be very intriguing. I really do think the simplification is going to help the unit immensely, but Kap still has to deliver. Nevertheless, I'm not expecting a unit that will average 25 points a game.

you are much more optimistic than i am. i will admit that our D has really impressed me and i don't expect the defense to be a huge liability this year. i don't think we will be a top 5 defense or anything, but in the 10-15 range isn't out of the question.

i DO have problems with the pass protection and kap. ok i understand that last night our pass protection was extremely poor, and it was poor last year too, but i don't think it's all on the line. kap gives the opposing defenses nothing to be scared about because he can't read the defense fast enough. so you throw shit at him and he will panic and take a sack or try to escape. in this regard, there is very little difference between kap and wussle. the main difference is kap isn't very slippery whereas a guy like wussle is. there is no QB faster than kap in the open field but he can't escape pressure like smaller guys can.

until kap damages the defense with precision passing and makes these teams pay, they're going to keep doing the same shit to us. if you give kap time he has proven that he can be a very successful passer, but you can't depend on time in the NFL. now look at the other side last night: peypey. he is working with a lot of new guys on the line but you wouldn't dare crowd the line of scrimmage against him because if you bring people he's going to identify and find the correct receiver almost immediately. we had our way with him last night but i'm just saying that is the difference.

with the rest of it, i agree hyde is going to beast. he reminds me of Boldin because he wants that contact and he runs very angry (always gets up after every play like he wants to fight someone). bush will be fantastic for us assuming kap learns to throw to the rb.

other than that i guess we'll see. haven't been stoked with the playcalling (PA pass on your own 3 yard line while testing out some new offensive lineman? uhh alright...) but it is pre-season

On a scale from busting holes in walls too constant fetal position drowning in tears, how worried should I be for the Niners this year based on their preseason performance?

Pepiope

Caught the NFL Network rerun of Eagles Packers.

First of all just happy Eagles came out relatively injury free. Lane Johnson doesn't seem serious. At least we will have all the starters by week 1.

2ndly I know its preseason blah blah but for a guy with so many question marks and who hasn't played nearly 2 season, Bradford looked awesome!

Excited but of course all the guys Chip picked up on offense and defense have extensive injury history. A kot of IF,s but sp far so good.

Any update on Marcus Smith? Kiko was held out right?
Smith, if he makes the team, should be ready for week 1 I believe. Kiko was held out, but I heard on the broadcast that they may play him for a bit on Thursday just to get him ready for the season. So far so good. I wasn't :kasing it all off-season. The Eagles are serious.

MechDX

I heard Hoyer once saved a man from drowning, the man said "thanks now i may bless you with a 4-12 season".

Rest assure Mech you will 4 whole wins to celebrate this year.

Texans defense will win more than 4 games.

You fucks are just bound and determined to make me believe in Hoyer. It wont happen.

squicken

So I try not to read too much into the preseason, but the thing that really stood out for me with Philly was how much they went after Barrington and Hyde. I figured Barrington was a backup or something, but apparently he is supposed to be a 3 down guy. He could not cover at all. It's okay to get beat but he was getting beat in man by 5 yards. Hyde also just seemed a little slow in coverage

On a scale from busting holes in walls too constant fetal position drowning in tears, how worried should I be for the Niners this year based on their preseason performance?

not too bad. kap has to have a career year (probably 4k passing and 500 yards rushing) for us to be a serious contender (which i dont think he'll do) but i think we can be in the playoff hunt if we can just weather the early season storm.

pre-season is never as bad or as good as it looks

LevelNth

Banned
you are much more optimistic than i am. i will admit that our D has really impressed me and i don't expect the defense to be a huge liability this year. i don't think we will be a top 5 defense or anything, but in the 10-15 range isn't out of the question.

i DO have problems with the pass protection and kap. ok i understand that last night our pass protection was extremely poor, and it was poor last year too, but i don't think it's all on the line. kap gives the opposing defenses nothing to be scared about because he can't read the defense fast enough. so you throw shit at him and he will panic and take a sack or try to escape. in this regard, there is very little difference between kap and wussle. the main difference is kap isn't very slippery whereas a guy like wussle is. there is no QB faster than kap in the open field but he can't escape pressure like smaller guys can.

until kap damages the defense with precision passing and makes these teams pay, they're going to keep doing the same shit to us. if you give kap time he has proven that he can be a very successful passer, but you can't depend on time in the NFL. now look at the other side last night: peypey. he is working with a lot of new guys on the line but you wouldn't dare crowd the line of scrimmage against him because if you bring people he's going to identify and find the correct receiver almost immediately. we had our way with him last night but i'm just saying that is the difference.

with the rest of it, i agree hyde is going to beast. he reminds me of Boldin because he wants that contact and he runs very angry (always gets up after every play like he wants to fight someone). bush will be fantastic for us assuming kap learns to throw to the rb.

other than that i guess we'll see. haven't been stoked with the playcalling (PA pass on your own 3 yard line while testing out some new offensive lineman? uhh alright...) but it is pre-season
You have to remember last night was an aberration with regards to the Oline. Denver has arguably two of the best OLBs in the game; not game planning for that is not what would happen in the regular season. But last night we were just lining up and running vanilla plays. One on one TE vs. Ware? Ah well. Silbermann wasn't great at pass blocking but he's a 6th rounder, so it's expected. Our line is not going to be one of the better units in the league.

And completely ignore the playcalling, preseason is always a weird hybrid between player evaluation, lineup tinkering and developing chemistry. Playcalling (especially pass plays) is pretty low on the priority list.

Spinluck

Can't say I'm too thrilled about what I've seen in the pre season.

11-5 and another post season loss to the Pats still looks like our ceiling. I'm cancelling my Colts vs Packers Superbowl party.

Narag

Can't say I'm too thrilled about what I've seen in the pre season.

11-5 and another post season loss to the Pats still looks like our ceiling. I'm cancelling my Colts vs Packers Superbowl party.

We'll get the Colts-Cowboys Superbowl we deserved last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom