• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Sorry:

"LET'S CHECK THE INJURY REPORT" A.K.A. THE 2015 GIANTS PRESEASON PREVIEW

OFFENSE

Offensive Line

I'm going a bit out of the traditional order and starting with O-line because the potential success of this unit will be the most important factor in determining the offense's production. This is arguably the most important group on the team this year. Everything was supposed to be solidified with the drafting of OT Ereck Flowers with the #9 overall pick this year, but then LT Will Beatty tore his pectoral(1) during the offseason and completely screwed things up. Instead of being able to start at RT, where he could rely on his strength while he improved his technique, Flowers has instead been thrust into the start left tackle spot where there will be less room for error. In addition, Flowers has been dealing with a hip flexor injury(2) in camp that has limited his practice and slowed his progress. The success of the line could hinge on Flowers' ability to develop quickly during the season and Beatty's recovery time from his surgery.

Marshall Newhouse has jumped ahead of the race for the open spot on the line and is the current starting RT. He has not inspired much confidence as of late, but I believe barring some sudden development he will unfortunately be a starter when the season begins.

On the plus side, the interior of the line should be improved with Justin Pugh moving inside to LG and Weston Richburg and Geoff Schwartz being allowed to move to their more natural positions of C and RG, respectively. Schwartz is an injury concern going into the season however and he has already missed an unfortunate amount of practice as a result of reinjuring his surgically repaired foot(3) from last season.

There was a point in training camp where 4 out of the 5 Giants projected starters on the line were out with injuries(4) and unable to practice. GOOD TIMES!

Quarterback

Eli Manning returns coming off a year that, while it may not have looked great statistically, was a significant improvement over his nightmarish 2013 season. He cut his turnovers in half and had the highest completion percentage in his career all while dealing with an awful offensive line and no rushing game to speak of (the Giants were 30th in the league in yards per rushing attempt last year). Mike Sullivan makes his return to the Giants as Eli's quarterbacks coach. Sullivan coached Eli during his best season in 2011 and Eli has been sharp so far this preseason. I am expecting good things this year out of the greatest Manning this season, if the line in front of him can stay relatively intact.

Ryan Nassib enters his third year in the league and has generally not progressed as much as the Giants would like. Hopefully his name is never forced to enter the conversation this year.

Running Back

The Giants signed free agent Shane Vereen in the offseason to bring some versatility to the backfield with his pass catching ability. Rashad Jennings returns after a season that was marked by inconsistency and injury. I really liked his game a lot last year before he got hurt and the offensive line fell apart, but I think I am higher on him than others might be. Andre Williams is also in the mix as more of a power back than the other two. He had areas of his skillset that definitely needed improvement coming into his second year, namely his pass catching and vision. Jennings is currently listed as the starter, but Vereen has seen a bit more first team snaps. Expect a running back by committee approach this season.

The Hynocerous, Henry Hynoski, returns as starting fullback.

Wide Receiver

An absurdly talented group on paper, the Giants feature a potential starting three of Victor Cruz, Reuben Randle and of course, returning OROY Odell Beckham Jr. But here's the rub. Victor Cruz is still recovering from a torn patellar tendon that ended his 2014 season(5), Beckham is dealing with a hamstring injury(6), similar to the one that cost him most of training camp and the beginning of the season last year, and now Reuben Randle is being sat with knee tendinitis(7).

Corey Washington and Preston Parker are behind them and likely to make the team. The recently signed James Jones brings some interesting potential to the group. He should be familiar with McAdoo's offense and if he has anything left in the tank he could do well in the Giants system.

*the point at which I realize I'm approaching 800 words and haven't even finished the offense and decide to expedite things considerably*

Tight Ends

No star players in this group. Returning starter Larry Donnell has been at least temporarily bumped in favor of Daniel Fells, who is the better blocker of the two. Adrien Robinson continues his long time reign as third string tight end. Robinson is the prematurely exploding firework of tight ends.

DEFENSE

Defensive Line

Everyone knows what happened to JPP(8) and he still is a giant question mark here. Giants officials have finally starting talking to him, but there is no timetable for his potential return. Behind him on the outside are Robert Ayers, who looked good last year when he was on the field, Kerry Wynn and Damontre Moore. The lack of JPP and departure of Mathias Kiwanuka should give plenty of opportunity to the young guys, including rookie Owa Odighizuwa, to make their mark. Whether any of them will remains to be seen, but hopefully DaMonster will finally be unleashed on the league. There is a lack of depth at DE without JPP that is worrisome.

The inside is pretty solid with Cullen Jenkins and Jonathan Hankins, who was arguably the Giants best D-lineman last year. There is good depth here, with Jay Bromley and Markus Kuhn (who has looked good in camp coming back from an ACL tear) in the mix as well.

Linebacker

The Giants have neglected this spot for the last hundred years or so. It's not nearly as bad as it has been in years past, but it's still hardly a strength of the team. JT Thomas was brought in from the Jags to compete for a spot, but I feel like I haven't heard a peep about him yet in camp. Devon Kennard is the most exciting young player they have had in the position in years and will hopefully continue to improve as he enters his second year. Jameel McClain would be seeing a lot of snaps but he recently suffered a neck injury(9), which he has a history of and is being held out as a result. Mark Herzlich will provide depth and special teams play. There is a solid group here potentially, but relying on Jon Beason to stay healthy never inspires confidence.

Corner

A very good position group at the top, Prince Amukamara will hold down one of the starting spots, although he is currently shut down with a groin injury(10), with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at the other. Trumaine McBride may be the frontrunner for the nickel spot currently, with Chykie Brown, Chandler Fenner and human disappointment Jayron Hosley also competing for the position.

Safety

A spot with a ton of names in the mix, the Giants have been rotating through starting combinations of players nearly every day in camp. Second round pick Landon Collins will in all likelihood emerge with one of the starting roles. Converted corner Bennett Jackson has looked very good in camp and would likely be on the fast track for the other starting spot, if he weren't currently dealing with a quad injury(11). Recent draft picks Mykkele Thompson and Cooper Taylor are also seeing snaps. Nat Berhe, who the Giants really liked at some point, might not even make the team now due to a bad calf injury(12).

SPECIAL TEAMS

As much as I would love to write a long winded analysis of the Giants special teams minutiae, the Giants remain basically the same at all spots returning punter/holder/dreamboat Steve Weatherford, kicker Joshn Brown, long snapper Zak DeOssie and special teams coach/immortal Lovecraftian elder god Tom Quinn. Dwayne Harris was signed from the Cowboys to take over the majority of return duties.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As a fan, the fact that the Giants, the most injured team in the league by far the last few years, are already dealing with a rash of injuries is incredibly disheartening. You would like to have at least some hope that the season isn't over before it even began. I am very confident in the offense if the line can hold together, but that is currently a big if. On the other side of the ball, Steve Spagnuolo needs to prove he still has some of the talent that helped bring the Giants a Super Bowl. He may earn his keep depending on what he can do with the Giants' safeties. If nothing else, his aggressive defense will hopefully be a welcome breath of fresh air for Giants fans. I'm not very high on the rest of the NFC East, so I think the Giants can definitely compete for the division if things break their way, although it is hardly a sure thing.

Essentially, I think the Giants potentially have a rather good football team. I'm just not sure that they will be on the field.

GREG!

I'm sorry man, but I've lost hope. I ordered parts for a sweet-ass i7 rig. Fuck Sony for killing Socom on the 3 and not bringing it to the 4 so far. They pushed me to the PC Master Race.

cajunator

Banned
Even my shitty marriage was pretty great at times, y'all are so pessimistic.

Seriously, people need to chill out a bit. Sports rivalry is one thing, but its getting really personal between people and ugly. Thats not what this community is about.
But fuck your teams :)

Bread

Banned
Seriously, people need to chill out a bit. Sports rivalry is one thing, but its getting really personal between people and ugly. Thats not what this community is about.
But fuck your teams :)
how is shit talking the concept of marriage personal? fuck marriage and fuck your teams!

Yeesh, that sucks. I am sure doctors have some shit you can put on that to help with the pain and the exposure.

Canker sores are the worst. All you can do is apply Kanka or orajel or anbesol and try to minimize contact with the sores and just bear with the pain until they heal.

Got some numbing gel that does its work just enough for me to able to eat for like 10mins.
Tastes like shit, though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CMOd80YUsAAua1p.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Marriage is awesome! Two sources of income, two people to take care of a house, sex on tap, always having somebody to play games with, hike with, eat with. It's the good life, bros. I wouldn't trade married life for anything.

Bowser

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
Source: IK Enemkpali was claimed by the #Bills. For real. #Rex

Rex trollin'

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Marriage is awesome! Two sources of income, two people to take care of a house, sex on tap, always having somebody to play games with, hike with, eat with. It's the good life, bros. I wouldn't trade married life for anything.

yea. If your trashing marriage you picked the wrong one, bruh. Maybe you should look at your skillz for judging character.

Also I see the JJ Watt hate train is full steam ahead. Keep the hate and jealousy flowing guys, it feeds me.

Lol @ the narrator saying the number one receiver spot is still open on the Texans.

mr2xxx

Banned
I want to watch the game live tomorrow but don't want to pay a $100 solely for preseason games, already have the nfl ticket. Any other options than some illegal pixely stream? Is there some European VPN trick that allows free streaming again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom