• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
So New Orleans officially gets the All-Star Game eh.

On the one hand, they stole our team and then they stole our game. On the other, at least those filthy heathens in Atlanta didn't get it so...

I think all in all, this balances out to a push for Grover.

Also, yall saw my All Brown Browns flying last night? Bob Griff, Terrelle Pryor, Hoo!

I'm starting to think Ray Farmer wasnt good at drafting first round picks 🤔🤔

Also not sure Floys numba 1 boy Mingo is gonna make the team

MechDX

Welp.

Having hope for this season was fun. Now with both lines being depleted by injury the optimism is gone. I welcome our new Jag overlords.

All heil Bort!

Hindl

RR isn't much of a ST'er either so he has to be one of your top three receivers.

We'll see how DGB does, but we have this UDFA Paul Turner, who's been pretty solid. Nothing special but he plays hard and is showing a lot of effort. I hope Huff gets cut, but I could see Randle getting cut too. He played a little better last night but he needs to do more.

We'll see how DGB does, but we have this UDFA Paul Turner, who's been pretty solid. Nothing special but he plays hard and is showing a lot of effort. I hope Huff gets cut, but I could see Randle getting cut too. He played a little better last night but he needs to do more.

They should give Paul Turner first team reps next week, especially if Matthews isn't back from injury. He and how good Barner has been have been my two most pleasant surprises so far in the preseason.

Hindl

They should give Paul Turner first team reps next week, especially if Matthews isn't back from injury. He and how good Barner has been have been my two most pleasant surprises so far in the preseason.

Yeah, if Turner can develop that gives me some hope for the offense in the future. Matthews, Turner, Ertz, and Burton wouldn't be world beaters, but it would be enough for a WCO, especially if Ertz finally breaks out. Do just enough to not fuck up and let the defense clean up and give us good position. Barner looks really good too, I just wish he wasn't so old. I thought he was like a young new RB, but he's already 27. Hope he has a good year though and we can keep him around.

Yeah, if Turner can develop that gives me some hope for the offense in the future. Matthews, Turner, Ertz, and Burton wouldn't be world beaters, but it would be enough for a WCO, especially if Ertz finally breaks out. Do just enough to not fuck up and let the defense clean up and give us good position. Barner looks really good too, I just wish he wasn't so old. I thought he was like a young new RB, but he's already 27. Hope he has a good year though and we can keep him around.

He's older, but he has barely played at the pro level, so I don't think there's a ton of wear on him. His first real action was last season and he was 4th in depth.

I actually thought Pederson had some interesting things in the game plan yesterday. I guess having to use tight ends instead of WRs last season will help him out this year. He had a look where Brent Celek lined up as a receiver with Sproles in the back field. It really created some coverage nightmares. I would put Ertz as receiver in real games, rather than Celek, but it could be interesting to see 12 personnel with a TE lined up as a receiver.

I hope so!!

Dak also looked quite good for you guys as well, yeah he had the fortune of being behind a quality line, but I wouldn't apologize for being put in a good situation. I have my eye on him for tonight

If Romo goes down, no more Matt Cassel at least lol

Brother Rando, with a new season upon us I want to put our past differences aside and start the new season fresh, I hope tonight you'll be keeping an eye on all my boys tonight, Tannehill, Romo and future Cowboy all-star Prescott and I in-turn will stop my crusade against your boy russ (except week 1 of course)

Welp.

Having hope for this season was fun. Now with both lines being depleted by injury the optimism is gone. I welcome our new Jag overlords.

All heil Bort!

I thought you were a real fan!? Where is your misplaced hope?!!

MechDX

I thought you were a real fan!? Where is your misplaced hope?!!

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.gif

squicken

@RapSheet
Even after the Green-Beckham trade, Philly is still looking for WRs. #Eagles put in a claim for WR Rasheed Bailey, tho the #Chargers got him

I have no idea who starts at WR aside from Matthews. Heck I thought Ertz would be the starting TE but it is still Celek

rando14

Brother Rando, with a new season upon us I want to put our past differences aside and start the new season fresh, I hope tonight you'll be keeping an eye on all my boys tonight, Tannehill, Romo and future Cowboy all-star Prescott and I in-turn will stop my crusade against your boy russ (except week 1 of course)

I am always in support of brotherhood pacts and treaties of friendship!!

Rando-Trejo alliance activated!!

LaYaUKC.gif

We did it!!

I have no idea who starts at WR aside from Matthews. Heck I thought Ertz would be the starting TE but it is still Celek

I think Rasheed Bailey is a promising kid.

Regarding Ertz/Celek, I really think it depends on the situation. Ertz is faster, but Celek is a better blocker. Both run good routes. I think both will see a lot of time on the field.

rando14

I feel like folks have been saying Ertz is gonna break out for like 3 yrs now?

Philly WR VS Cowboys Secondary, what a matchup to watch for all the masochists out there.

Scandrick's back, right? And iirc Byron Jones played pretty decently last year. Hope for yall!!

NO Rando no! Say it aint so.

Wait what did I do!! lol

I'm no Boys fan!! I will only support my friend Christopher's happiness

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm starting to think Ray Farmer wasnt good at drafting first round picks 🤔🤔

Also not sure Floys numba 1 boy Mingo is gonna make the team

I didn't watch last night but Mingo is flat out a ghost out there for the last year and a half wow.

Also man I'm reading about my boy Nassib putting in that work.

Non football comment of the day, I am very excite for Deus Ex.
I didn't watch last night but Mingo is flat out a ghost out there for the last year and a half wow.

Also man I'm reading about my boy Nassib putting in that work.
Carl Nassib, our Game Of Thrones fan :")

Hindl

I feel like folks have been saying Ertz is gonna break out for like 3 yrs now?

Pretty much. He has the talent and has gotten better at blocking, but for whatever reason it just hasn't happened yet. Last year he had surgery at the start of the season so he missed a lot of time, but was really hot down the stretch. This is pretty much the year where he has to break out. KC's offense was very TE heavy, and if he can't do it now then he's just gonna have a solid career as a TE instead of a dominant one. Which is alright, but would be a disappointing. He just needs more TDs, his yardage and YPC stats are actually pretty good

Pretty much. He has the talent and has gotten better at blocking, but for whatever reason it just hasn't happened yet. Last year he had surgery at the start of the season so he missed a lot of time, but was really hot down the stretch. This is pretty much the year where he has to break out. KC's offense was very TE heavy, and if he can't do it now then he's just gonna have a solid career as a TE instead of a dominant one. Which is alright, but would be a disappointing. He just needs more TDs, his yardage and YPC stats are actually pretty good

Define "break out". He had practically the same stats as Travis Kelce last year, but in a vastly more putrid offense. People talk like Kelce is god's gift to TEs sometimes. He had 100 fewer yards than Jordan Reed on ten fewer receptions.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
There's no way a war will start between my two good friends Rando and Mech.

Both of them are classy individuals.

Hindl

Define "break out". He had practically the same stats as Travis Kelce last year, but in a vastly more putrid offense. People talk like Kelce is god's gift to TEs sometimes. He had 100 fewer yards than Jordan Reed on ten fewer receptions.

He needs TDs, that's pretty much it. He's developed as a blocker and he has good receiving yards, but he just isn't that dominant endzone threat that you'd want your star TE to be, especially with our lackluster receiving core. That and consistency. He was right with Kelce in yards last year, but over half of his yards came from the last four games. Is that a sign of his new standard, or was it a hot streak preceded by games where he wasn't that effective? He needs to be consistently good and start getting in the endzone for me call him a breakout player. I'd hope something like 950 yards, 6 TDs should be possible for him this year, especially with the way our offense is shaping up.

He needs TDs, that's pretty much it. He's developed as a blocker and he has good receiving yards, but he just isn't that dominant endzone threat that you'd want your star TE to be, especially with our lackluster receiving core. That and consistency. He was right with Kelce in yards last year, but over half of his yards came from the last four games. Is that a sign of his new standard, or was it a hot streak preceded by games where he wasn't that effective? He needs to be consistently good and start getting in the endzone for me call him a breakout player. I'd hope something like 950 yards, 6 TDs should be possible for him this year, especially with the way our offense is shaping up.

Yeah, he needs TDs, but the Eagles were like the worst team in red zone efficiency last year not because of Ertz, but because without a ton of field to work with their offense was laughably predictable. He had 4 TDs in 2013, back when Chip's offense was new and not a known quantity. I don't put the lack of TDs on Ertz when the entire rest of the team had the same exact problem. If he can't catch TDs this year, it would be one thing, but I really don't think it's a knock on his production or evidence that he hasn't "broken out". He's easily a top 10 TE at this point.

MechDX

Giants' kicker Josh Brown's ex-wife told police of over 20 physically violent incidents:

https://t.co/pJZhMykGdd https://t.co/gdZpkAVfDU

Jeez....

The details about prior instances were known to the league prior to the announcement of the one-game suspension that was announced by the NFL on Wednesday, according to sources.

The Giants declined to comment. The NFL did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Josh Brown, who was suspended one game by the NFL on Wednesday, said he informed the Giants of the 2015 charge the day of the incident, and a team spokesman confirmed they knew of that incident.

Brown was accused by his ex-wife of pushing her into a large mirror in their bedroom, throwing her on the floor, jumping on top of her and pinning her face to the carpet with his forearm on the back on her neck. In a separate incident, he allegedly kicked a door off the hinges and into the arm of her son, kicked a chair into his wife and pushed her over a paper shredder.

She also told police that he verbally threatened her consistently over the years, including death threats.

1 game?

Hindl

Yeah, he needs TDs, but the Eagles were like the worst team in red zone efficiency last year not because of Ertz, but because without a ton of field to work with their offense was laughably predictable. He had 4 TDs in 2013, back when Chip's offense was new and not a known quantity. I don't put the lack of TDs on Ertz when the entire rest of the team had the same exact problem. If he can't catch TDs this year, it would be one thing, but I really don't think it's a knock on his production or evidence that he hasn't "broken out". He's easily a top 10 TE at this point.

Yeah fair, outside of TDs he was ranked 6th-7th for TEs last year in most stats. And it's entirely possible the inconsistency he showed was a result of Chip's predictable offense. I guess my problem is that he puts up the stats, but I don't feel like other teams are afraid of him. I don't feel like teams game plan around Ertz the way they do Greg Olsen, Kelce, Jordan Reed, etc. Because even though he might have similar numbers to Reed and Kelce, I feel like those guys draw far more attention from opposing defenses, which opens up the rest of the offense. I just want Ertz to be that guy. I remember a lot of Ertz' numbers last year coming from blown coverage where he just had wide open field instead of dominating defenders.

Agholor that bad?

Hasn't really impressed in training camp and had a pitiful season last year. He's still got time to develop but on any other team he would probably be a 4th-5th WR at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom