• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Ahh this makes sense. It also makes the pr statement that cam out today look like the bullshit I already thought it was. Interesting that they only really mention up front money in the first year, but never talk about the details. I hope he reenters the draft as a fuck you to the Chargers. Although, reading a Chargers forum it looks like the pr bullshit worked exactly as intended. The argument I always find hilarious is when someone brings up how it's a privileged to play in the NFL therefore he should just suck it up and play. Like if Bosa just woke up one day and was drafted as if the years of hard work and sacrifice somehow didn't exist. Players should always look out for themselves because no one else will. He should try and get every single penny he can.

Yeah, it drives me fucking nuts that most fans immediately take the team's side on team-player conflicts no matter what.

Am I crazy thinking that the Bosa situation is going to make it harder for the Chargers to draft top 5 players in future years even though their reputation is terrible.

#EliWasRight

rando14

they probably feel threatened

Dear Beard,

I must admit that reading the latest on Joseph Bosa has me concerned about my fandom as a True SuperCharger. The Spanos are making this a difficult situation. At this time, I am considering relocating my full fandom to The Land, I believe they present the best opportunity for prosperity, longevity, and spirituality.

Please direct thoughts and/or concerns to my secretary, Gobias.

G. bless,

Your Rando

MechDX

Dear Beard,

I must admit that reading the latest on Joseph Bosa has me concerned about my fandom as a True SuperCharger. The Spanos are making this a difficult situation. At this time, I am considering relocating my full fandom to The Land, I believe they present the best opportunity for prosperity, longevity, and spirituality.

G. bless,

Your Rando

Welcome to the Brandon Weeden fan club! Please expect your uniform to arrive in 5-7 days:
brandon-weeden-patriot-fourth-of-july-570x950.jpg

This make 4 of us. 8 more and we will be a dozen

Bread

Banned
Dear Beard,

G. bless,

Your Rando
First I lose bae
Now I lose Randall

so this is how Grova feels

Bread

Banned
Bead, tell Chris that it's almost Labor Day and San Diego is great place to visit during that weekend.
Chris it's almost labor day which is the perfect time to visit! Which is why I will be in seattle with bae :)))))))

Yup 😭😭

Bae Will be back in January tho. And I'll visit Kangarooland in December.
5 months!? that's terrible

shirtless-gaf will be here for you! speaking of that when are we drafting mr commish?

Chargers played a similar game with Rivers.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1855828&columnist=clayton_john

"Negotiations have broken down," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said. "Prior to the training camp report date, we made an effort to get Philip signed. Also, during the past week, we exchanged ideas and could not come to an agreement. On Friday, we offered a great deal to Philip. We also notified both Philip and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, that the offer will stand until 5 p.m. Sunday evening and if not accepted, the final offer will be pulled off the table."

According to sources, the Chargers' offer was six years -- worth slightly over $40.4 million -- although sources close to Rivers say the deal is worth around $39 million. Rivers was the fourth player selected in the NFL draft following a trade involving the Giants that enabled New York to get Eli Manning.

Both sides appeared to be close on the guaranteed portion of the contract. Until the last proposal, Rivers would receive $14 million in guarantees plus another $2 million in a hidden bonus that he should be able to trigger. There were disagreements on how $9 million more of incentives would be triggered.

Eli was the bad guy in telling the Chargers to go suck a bag of dicks though.

Gobias

Banned
Dear Beard,

G. bless,

Your Rando

By the way, when do I start getting paid?

Actually, if you wanna get technical (PS Eli was right)

The Chargers have had 28 1st round draft picks since Alex Spanos purchased the franchise in August of 1984. Of that group, the following 1st round rookies missed part or all of training camp due to contract disputes:

1985 #12: Jim Lachey.

1986 #8: Leslie O'Neal and #13: James FitzPatrick.

1987 #24: Rod Bernstine.

1989 #8: Burt Grossman.

1990 #5: Junior Seau.

1991 #9: Stanley Richard.

1998 #2: Ryan Leaf.

2001 #5: LaDainian Tomlinson.

2002 #5: Quentin Jammer.

2004 #4: Philip Rivers (via trade).

2005 #12: Shawne Merriman.

2008 #27: Antoine Cason.

2009 #16: Larry English.

2010 #12: Ryan Mathews.

2011 #18: Corey Liuget.

2016 #3: Joey Bosa.

The following 1st round rookies did not hold out, were signed before full training camp began, or missed fewer than one full day of full training camp (otherwise, Luis Castillo and Antonio Cromartie would shift to the 1st group).

1988 #15: Anthony Miller.

1992 #23: Chris Mims.

1993 #22: Darrien Gordon.

2003 #30: Sammy Davis.

2005 #28: Luis Castillo.

2006 #19: Antonio Cromartie.

2007 #30: Craig "Buster" Davis.

2012 #18: Melvin Ingram.

2013 #11: D.J. Fluker.

2014 #25: Jason Verrett.

2015 #15: Melvin Gordon.

It should also be noted the Chargers had no 1st round draft picks from 1994-2000, excepting 1998.

In summary, 17 of 28 1st round picks involved in a contract dispute (about 61%) which resulted in time missed from training camp.

Y'all shoulda came to GatorTech when you had the chance

Sometimes dead is better

Am I crazy thinking that the Bosa situation is going to make it harder for the Chargers to draft top 5 players in future years even though their reputation is terrible.
Well... The player has no leverage in the situation except to sit out (and get a job doing something else) for a year. So it really comes down to, what % of top picks are willing to take their ball and go home when the Chargers call on draft day?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Well... The player has no leverage in the situation except to sit out (and get a job doing something else) for a year. So it really comes down to, what % of top picks are willing to take their ball and go home when the Chargers call on draft day?

Eli and Bosa/28. So 7%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom