• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article from Emmanual Acho about cut day and his experience with it. Worth a read.

http://theundefeated.com/features/cut-day-the-darkest-day-in-the-nfl-emmanuel-acho/

Let me take you back to Aug. 30, 2013 — all 32 teams had just concluded their final preseason game and it was the night before the front office of each organization would trim its roster from 75 players to the official 53-man roster. At the time, I was a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. That Friday, our owner was kind enough to throw a team barbecue for the players, coaches, staff and all of their families. It all seemed pretty harmless. I finished packing my bags in preparation to head to the airport and watch my alma mater’s home opener directly after the barbecue. I was all but sure I was going to make the roster. I pulled up to 1 Novacare Way, the Eagles’ practice facility, and as the gate attendant let me in, I got a call from a teammate. “Bro, I just got cut,” he said. “What do you mean you just got cut, aren’t you at the barbecue?” I asked. He replied, “Yeah, but the grim reaper is inside.” My stomach dropped as I realized this wasn’t your normal barbecue. I entered the building as the Mission Impossible theme song played in my head. My goal was to get to the practice fields, where the barbecue was taking place, without getting the notorious tap on the shoulder followed by, “Please return your playbook.” Moments later, my mission was complete. I made it to the fields unscathed, barbecued ribs in hand and a smile from ear to ear.

More at the link.

Tom Penny

Ridley had one good year. Vereen was a nice Faulk replacement before we let him walk. But before that... yeah, there's a large gap between Dillon and then Ridley. Then another gap back to Martin.
Robert Edwards blew his knee in a fucking flag football game at the Pro Bowl.

Farooq

Banned
Great article from Emmanual Acho about cut day and his experience with it. Worth a read.

http://theundefeated.com/features/cut-day-the-darkest-day-in-the-nfl-emmanuel-acho/

More at the link.

Just started reading, but this is kinda fucked up.

my phone started ringing. A former teammate’s number flashed on the screen. He had just sustained a serious injury in the previous game. I answered the call with condolences in mind. “I got hurt bad, bro. I’m out a couple of months … but THANK God! They were about to cut me!”

As a late-round draft pick in 2012, nothing was guaranteed for me outside of my signing bonus. During my rookie year, I heard stories of guys who had intentionally gone home and sprinted on an already tight muscle in efforts to completely tear it and land on the injured reserve (IR) list. The IR that guarantees you at least two-thirds of your income that year. I vividly recall the story of an offensive lineman who, out of fear of getting cut, repeatedly ran into a wall, hoping to dislocate an already strained shoulder. In the wake of devastation, after tearing my MCL and landing on the IR, a veteran offensive lineman approached me, shook my hand and said, “Congratulations, you’re safe.”

Edit: Pretty good read, thanks for sharing.

Colasante

You haven't had a decent RB since what, Curtis Martin?

And before that it was probably Cunningham in the 70s.

Corey Dillon was great for a season and Nion Dion is the best 3rd down back we've had in the Brady era (sorry, Kevin) but yeah, it's been a weak spot in general.

@caplannfl
#Titans:
2015: 2nd-traded, 3rd-waived, 5th-waived, 6th-on IR
2014: 2nd-waived, 4th-waived, 6th-waived
2013: 2nd-waived, (2) 3rd-waived

More at the link.

That Friday, our owner was kind enough to throw a team barbecue for the players, coaches, staff and all of their families. It all seemed pretty harmless. I finished packing my bags in preparation to head to the airport and watch my alma mater’s home opener directly after the barbecue. I was all but sure I was going to make the roster. I pulled up to 1 Novacare Way, the Eagles’ practice facility, and as the gate attendant let me in, I got a call from a teammate. “Bro, I just got cut,” he said. “What do you mean you just got cut, aren’t you at the barbecue?” I asked. He replied, “Yeah, but the grim reaper is inside.” My stomach dropped as I realized this wasn’t your normal barbecue.

smh

Colasante

@caplannfl
#Titans:
2015: 2nd-traded, 3rd-waived, 5th-waived, 6th-on IR
2014: 2nd-waived, 4th-waived, 6th-waived
2013: 2nd-waived, (2) 3rd-waived

Nice to see Jon Robinson getting rid of Ruston Webster's mistakes. They're going to be a really fun team once Josh McDaniels starts coaching them next season.

this_guy

Anime
Browns shooting for 8-8
Bort and the Jags already won AFCS
YANKEE is jealous of everyone
Dega is now a Jets fan

Good looks like I missed nothing.

Chargers won the championship

Was that after they decided it might be a good idea to sign their 1st round pic? They're going places with good management like that.

JJ Watt is still a byatch

JJ is good at the game of football. I hope he becomes an even bigger media whore this year to piss everyone else off.

Offense is faster and improved finally. This rookie class is going to be something.

Shame about the center though. Hope he bounces back next year.

Well I know that. I meant did I miss anything NFL GAF? And it's nice to have an offense with players that look like they can run faster than me (I haven't played real sports since high school).

Line_HTX

JJ is good at the game of football. I hope he becomes an even bigger media whore this year to piss everyone else off.

Well I know that. I meant did I miss anything NFL GAF? And it's nice to have an offense with players that look like they can run faster than me (I haven't played real sports since high school).

Too bad those HEB commercials are local. Oh well, I hope that Bose commercial plays again.

Oh, that's what you meant. There have been 4 perms total.

MechDX

UDFA TE Stephen Anderson from Cal made the Texans final 53 man roster.

Undersized TE, large WR will likely play a Aaron Hernandez type role for the Texans.
Without the whole murder thing

Texans offense is going be fun

Fantomex

The drops from this garbage WR corps is astounding. I would say based on the last 3 games, his receivers have dropped 20% of his passes. One thing that concerns me is that he is brave, sometimes way too brave. He will gladly take the punishment after a throw as long as he got positive yards, that's something that he's going to have to be wary off. I love his quick release and his ability to find open receivers. But we all know he just isn't meant to progress with Fisher as coach.

Line_HTX

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 20m20 minutes ago

O'Brien on QB Brock Osweiler: "He's come in here & done exactly what we've asked him to do. Works extremely hard. Has put in 12-hour days."

On Watt: "We are headed in the right direction with him. It looks decent for him to be able to play in the first game."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/771454770729127936

vYACliP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom