• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

I know what you are saying, I'm implying that he is equipped to be fine by coming back when the fracture heals, the collar bone should not be problematic for him and his back will heal from the fracture, his back it is stronger than it was two years ago

The problem is back issues tend to be cumulative (sadly I speak from personal experience here). I think Romo will be able to see out the season when he comes back unless he gets an unlucky hit, but honestly from his own point of view I'm not sure it's the best thing for him long term. You're talking about a guy who's has multiple relatively serious back issues.

Tom Penny

Im pretty surprised martin was cut given the people around here saying he was the favorite. Turns out pretty much none of the grouping stuck despite it being the "best competition in years" at the position. That being said I think AJ derby is more of a hybrid so I'd count one of those spots as taken by him and I think that's easily the right choice. I also think Foster took one of those spots.

Good competition among shit players doesn't really mean much.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Good competition among shit players doesn't really mean much.

I guess, it just seemed like some guys had some momentum early in camp. This happens every year to be fair. A few years ago when lloyd came in you had stollworth, gaffney, and a couple others behind him competing for the final spots.

kmag

Oh ffs, signing buttfumble is punishment enough

You've got to wonder what disproportionate sanction the NFL will come up with. Procedural issues with signings tend to be draft picks rather than money but this is as minor as it gets although technically even vested vets aren't free agents until the official notification is published.

Bitanator

The problem is back issues tend to be cumulative (sadly I speak from personal experience here). I think Romo will be able to see out the season when he comes back unless he gets an unlucky hit, but honestly from his own point of view I'm not sure it's the best thing for him long term. You're talking about a guy who's has multiple relatively serious back issues.

He has only had the herniated disk which was the biggest problem with his back, had the cyst removal earlier that year. He got kneed in the back and fractured two transverse processes. It is not like he has been stuck in bed rest with a shattered spine. His back has healed to allow much more functionality than he has had for years. The compression fracture could have happened to anybody. I feel he is primed to be back and be able to participate much healthier than he could have the last couple years

jbug617

Banned
You've got to wonder what disproportionate sanction the NFL will come up with. Procedural issues with signings tend to be draft picks rather than money but this is as minor as it gets although technically even vested vets aren't free agents until the official notification is published.

probably a fine or loss of a mid round draft pick.

kmag

He has only had the herniated disk which was the biggest problem with his back, had the cyst removal earlier that year. He got kneed in the back and fractured two transverse processes. It is not like he has been stuck in bed rest with a shattered spine. His back has healed to allow much more functionality than he has had for years. The compression fracture could have happened to anybody. I feel he is primed to be back and be able to participate much healthier than he could have the last couple years

I'm not saying his back is weak or at risk, I'm saying that 3 fractures in the back and a protruding disc aren't exactly the greatest thing for mobility in later life, never mind all the other aches and pains which come from being an 10 year plus NFL QB. There's a limit to the hits to the back a person can take before the future risk becomes simply not worth it. I don't think Romo's at that point yet, but frankly he's probably one more injury away from it.

They should be forced to start him all 16 games.

Do this

Or at the very least force them to start him on Thanksgiving, with the caveat that if they try to get rid of him before then they immediately lose a first round pick a year for every attempt they make at getting rid of him

Do this

Or at the very least force them to start him on Thanksgiving, with the caveat that if they try to get rid of him before then they immediately lose a first round pick a year for every attempt they make at getting rid of him
Mark Sanchez turned into Joe Montana on Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Such a bizarre game.

Bitanator

I'm not saying his back is weak or at risk, I'm saying that 3 fractures in the back and a protruding disc aren't exactly the greatest thing for mobility in later life, never mind all the other aches and pains which come from being an 10 year plus NFL QB. There's a limit to the hits to the back a person can take before the future risk becomes simply not worth it. I don't think Romo's at that point yet, but frankly he's probably one more injury away from it.

I agree there is a risk, the past couple years I have been fearful of him being injured do to the hits he has taken. I'm sure he has had many conversations with his wife about this, if his back gets injured again in a significant way he will be forced to retire, he knows that. He is a tough fucker but not completely stupid, if he thinks his mobility is gone enough so that he can no longer create plays or that he cannot risk doing that anymore, then he walks away

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mark Sanchez turned into Joe Montana on Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Such a bizarre game.

I prefer to remember Mark Sanchez on Thanksgiving in 2012.

giphy.gif

So Steelers got Justin Gilbert from the Browns for a bag of chips.

Talent is there, but it really seems like he has no love for the game. Though I can't help but wonder how much of that was playing for the Brownies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So Steelers got Justin Gilbert from the Browns for a bag of chips.

Talent is there, but it really seems like he has no love for the game. Though I can't help but wonder how much of that was playing for the Brownies.

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 3h3 hours ago

If Justin Gilbert ever sees the field on defense, he'll have to be more active in run support. Over 413 snaps, he has 3 tackles vs run.

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 3h3 hours ago

If Justin Gilbert ever sees the field on defense, he'll have to be more active in run support. Over 413 snaps, he has 3 tackles vs run.

In Gilbert's defence, if the offence sees him on the field then they'd be stupid not to call a pass play.

squicken

In the last 7 seasons, Sam Bradford has had 5 head coaches, 6 offensive coordinators and 6 QB coaches (counting 2 OCs who coached QBs).
-PK

alex smith had more to start his career and it didn't stop him from making the playoffs and winning. next excuse?

Something about how "he hasn't been healthy long enough to be judged fairly" which fuck that and fuck his Brittle Bones. He's made nearly $80 mil over the total of his career and has never had 2 full seasons, if he retired right now he'd have made basically more money than over half the QBs who've taken the field before and since he started, and have done so for less work than Matt Cassel has ever done. He doesn't need or deserve the amount of excuses people are willing to make for him and his "performance"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom