• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

eznark

Banned
Futurevoid's post reminded me that Garrett is still HC of the Cowboys, hahahahaha.

I love Teddy Bridgewater, understanding the game and making quick reads is what it's all about. Would rather take that and hope he improves in his downfield throws than taking some big armed fool who can't work through his reads in the hopes that he improves in that particular area.

I wish he had played under Petrino so that he had been asked to do more.

MechDX

beNozEU.jpg

He looks like a white Teddy Bridgewater

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Dude no one is making money off of games anymore.

This business is not a sound financial proposition anymore.

Gabe Newell has a Duck Tales type swimming pool of gold and money. Part of the problem is that game prices are often too high.

Nintendo needs to drop the price of its VC games (people have been playing that crap for free for years on emulators) and actually offer sales on DD. That could probably be said for PSN and Live to a degree but they aren't quite as bad.

People actually pirate $10 games? That seems like so much more hassle than it is worth.

You don't need to pirate, I was able to get a rom of my SNES copy playing on my PSP, it was so awesome but eventually I updated because I wanted to play the latest psp games (mostly KH)

Hunter S.

People actually pirate $10 games? That seems like so much more hassle than it is worth.

Probably tons of people. How would I know the numbers? lots of old games are not available on any platform now except for an old nes, and sNES so I am sure the games that are not available much elsewhere on other platforms are pirated more.

I don't think he's pirating the iOS version.

It honestly took me less time to download and install an SNES emulator and download Chrono Trigger to my iPhone (that is not jail broken) than it would to go through the app store and buy the port.

effzee

Nice write up about Teddy Bridgewater but with a WTF comment:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140122/teddy-bridgewater-nfl-draft-2014/

If by "franchise savior" you mean "spoiled brat who kisses the owners ass and gets the coaching staffed fired" you are dead on.

He did save the franchise. Quick who helped the team get into the playoffs last year? RG3 or Shanahan and his son? Where were the Redskins before RG3 came?

Shanahan got fired for being a terrible coach. For failing to make the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years there. For fielding some of the worst defenses the league has seen. For opting to start Sexy Rexy. For hiring son to run the offense creating a very uncomfortable situation for the players. For failing to work with a QB who granted he didn't want, but did turn around the season for the team.

RG3 was the only reason they made the playoffs. Their D was and is still is horrid. Biggest question about RG3 is remaining healthy. Shanahan and his son couldn't seem to get along with any QBs and were set up for failure.

All this nonsense about RG3, the locker room, and his supposed coach killer attitude will all disappear once they start winning some games again and he looks more like his rookie season since he will be close to 2 years removed from the tear in his knee.

My buddy got Richard Sherman to sign this the other night:

Lost in all this is that Crabtree isn't a mediocre WR. The throw needed more air on it and Sherman made one hell of a play.

I think most teams would take him in a heart beat.

Narag

This is unbelievable to me. The D was terrible all year, even before the injuries pilled up. Jerry picks weird people to people to be loyal to.

Figure it's stubbornness due to being wrong about Ryan. ATL podcast guys seemed to think its not entirely 100% given the lack of fanfare.

Hunter S.

Dumb NFL poll because it acts like Sherman will cover numerous recievers on every play. I assume it means the whole secondary.

Will Richard Sherman get the best of the Broncos' receivers?

40%Yes, best CB in the game
60%No, Broncos' WRs too good
Total Votes: 46530

bionic77

Bionic so you're saying that the video game industry, like Tom Brady, can't get it done anymore?

And that, like the Pittsburgh defense, it has aged past a point of sustainability and will tumble underneath the weight of it's own hubris.

Very interesting analysis. I think I see your point.
Costs are just too high and there are not enough "core gamers" to sustain it. They have maxed out the slow teenage loser (think Lunchbox). Nintendo grew the market for a few years but those people all went to mobile now for their fix.

So yes they are fucked like Fraudgers in a home playoff game.

Shit is going to contract hard. They have to evolve but no own other than gabe is trying to do it. I would not be surprised if steam was gaming in 10 years.

effzee

Exactly, Rob did a decent job with the Cowboys defense, he deserved another shot way more then Monte does.

I bet he is keeping him now because he is a low profile coach and getting rid of a coach/DC two years in a row only after 1 season doesn't look good.

That would be Browns level low and even Jerry Jones doesn't sink that low.

I bet he is keeping him now because he is a low profile coach and getting rid of a coach/DC two years in a row only after 1 season doesn't look good.

That would be Browns level low and even Jerry Jones doesn't sink that low.

Not yet but let that dementia seep in a little more and we'll have Al Davis levels of fun

Costs are just too high and there are not enough "core gamers" to sustain it. They have maxed out the slow teenage loser (think Lunchbox). Nintendo grew the market for a few years but those people all went to mobile now for their fix.

Shit is going to contract hard. They have to evolve but no own other than gabe is trying to do it. I would not be surprised if steam was gaming in 10 years.
PS4 and XBO are doing great so far, though.

MechDX

He did save the franchise. Quick who helped the team get into the playoffs last year? RG3 or Shanahan and his son? Where were the Redskins before RG3 came?

Shanahan got fired for being a terrible coach. For failing to make the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years there. For fielding some of the worst defenses the league has seen. For opting to start Sexy Rexy. For hiring son to run the offense creating a very uncomfortable situation for the players. For failing to work with a QB who granted he didn't want, but did turn around the season for the team.

RG3 was the only reason they made the playoffs. Their D was and is still is horrid. Biggest question about RG3 is remaining healthy. Shanahan and his son couldn't seem to get along with any QBs and were set up for failure.

All this nonsense about RG3, the locker room, and his supposed coach killer attitude will all disappear once they start winning some games again and he looks more like his rookie season since he will be close to 2 years removed from the tear in his knee.

Lost in all this is that Crabtree isn't a mediocre WR. The throw needed more air on it and Sherman made one hell of a play.

I think most teams would take him in a heart beat.

I still don't put the entire blame on Shanahan. Too much nonsense about Griffins relationship with the owner to just give it a pass. What has he proven as a passer? He can not stand in the pocket and make throws and he sure as hell cant run now.

Farooq

Banned
This is unbelievable to me. The D was terrible all year, even before the injuries pilled up. Jerry picks weird people to people to be loyal to.

So after firing Kiffin, who do you replace him with? Marinelli? Runs the same system. There were talks of Frazier before he went to Tampa, he was also a disciple of Dungy.

The scheme needs defensive linemen. Dallas lost two depth players before the season. Ratliff did not see a snap, and Spencer played one game. It forced Kiffin to place Hatcher who was initially going to play the 1 to the 3, and Hayden (who was out of football for a year) to the 1. Journey man Selvie and an aging Ware as your ends. The projected starting linemen never saw the field and quality depth was never there. 17 different linemen were brought in this season.

I don't need to get into the back 7, or the fact that the projected starting linebackers rarely played a game together.

Look, it was wrong to fire Rob Ryan and it would be wrong to fire Kiffin now. The personnel was not there for Kiffin.

What the hell are you talking about? PS4 and XB1 are both selling way better then 360 or PS3 did in their first 2 months. Games like GTA 5 sold insane amounts last year, the industry is still growing and there are no signs of it contracting at all. Sony and MS are making money hand over fist now, both launched at a profit, and both have paid online services that are doing great.

From the NPD thread:

Looking at the numbers from just December, overall industry sales were up 2 percent to $3.28 billion. Most of that growth was attributable to hardware, which was up a whopping 28 percent to $1.37 billion. Accessories were also up 4 percent to $631 million, but most of those gains were offset by software sales that dropped 17 percent to $1.28 billion.

Too early to say that. And great for who? How many companies are profitable and making money producing games?
No idea, I just know things are off to a good start at least. All the big third party games seem to be selling well.

The initial systems sales are great, but I wonder how the attach rate will be doing in a year. And what games actually sell besides the usual suspects.
Yeah, this will be interesting to watch. Game budgets were already out of hand on PS3/360 so who knows what they will look like this time around.

Semi-related, I have no idea how the typical indie dev is doing these days.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd be careful Mech.

RBH ripped on the browns the whole offseason and now his penis is burnt to a crisp.

squicken

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Manziel in Baltimore last night w UA reps. My guess if deal gets done it will be top-5 mrkting contract ever signed.

No way. Unless he's talking about just football. There's just no connection to football gear and kids like there is for sneakers and basketball

e: Dmitroff and Pioli driving to work. How many teams would not give enough fucks to do something like this? Most would worry about giving away secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr7JBgz5Y2I&list=UUzjCfV3LHyarKbdb-2ScGZg

What the launches display is that interest in gaming is still high but I think what Bionic is trying to say is that creating games these days is so expensive that they are not profitable for the developers and this is proving true in cases. There will be certain games that always make a profit due to popularity but it's now devastating to invest the capital it takes to make a AAA game and then have it tank. Square used to be a juggernaut and now they are in dire straights. They NEED FFXV to do well or I think they are pretty much done with consoles. We are seeing more sequels to successful franchises and less risk taking for new ideas because many smaller companies cannot afford a bomb. You are seeing more risks taken in Indy gaming for this reason. There are signs that worry me about the future of gaming, we've seen Survival Horror all but die (which is why I'm really excited for The Evil Within) and with the new generation of kids only playing garbage games on their phones or CoD, what's to happen to other non FPS genres?

I think we should make it through this gen alright or at least half way before it's more of an issue but the latest generation of gamers concern me and make me fear the worst for gaming in the future. Fortunately I'm old enough that gaming is simply a hobby and I have loads of favorite games from over the years I can replay if the worst case scenario hits.

bionic77

What the launches display is that interest in gaming is still high but I think what Bionic is trying to say is that creating games these days is so expensive that they are not profitable for the developers and this is proving true in cases. There will be certain games that always make a profit due to popularity but it's now devastating to invest the capital it takes to make a AAA game and then have it tank. Square used to be a juggernaut and now they are in dire straights. They NEED FFXV to do well or I think they are pretty much done with consoles. We are seeing more sequels to successful franchises and less risk taking for new ideas because many smaller companies cannot afford a bomb. You are seeing more risks taken in Indy gaming for this reason. There are signs that worry me about the future of gaming, we've seen Survival Horror all but die (which is why I'm really excited for The Evil Within) and with the new generation of kids only playing garbage games on their phones or CoD, what's to happen to other non FPS genres?

I think we should make it through this gen alright or at least half way before it's more of an issue but the latest generation of gamers concern me and make me fear the worst for gaming in the future. Fortunately I'm old enough that gaming is simply a hobby and I have loads of favorite games from over the years I can replay if the worst case scenario hits.
Indies and steam might be the future. We will see.

Also it is way too early to say that things are great and will improve on last gen. Things look grim to me. We had 5 consoles last gen: wii, ps3, 360, ds and pep. The handheld market will probably be half of what it was last gen. Wiis 100 million sales are pretty much gone. And even if PS4 and Bone sell better than the PS3 and 360 it is pretty optimistic to think they will make up for the death of the Wii.

MechDX

Dolphins are interviewing GM finalists this weekend (at least two). Interesting bit on Licht:

Earlier Wednesday, the NFL Network reported the Dolphins tried to hire Arizona's Jason Licht when the team caught wind of the fact Licht was offered the general manager job in Tampa Bay.

Two sources -- one very close to Licht and a Dolphins source -- said the report is not accurate.

The Dolphins indeed found out Licht was offered the Tampa Bay job and contacted him to inform him he'd be would be one of the finalists brought in this coming weekend. The Dolphins wanted to give Licht the option of waiting for the finalist interview before making his decision final.

Both sources confirm Licht decided to go with proverbial bird in the hand, taking the certain job offer rather than waiting to see if he would make the cut in Miami to have two job offers.
Not quite as bad as the previous reports made it sound.

Striker

He did save the franchise. Quick who helped the team get into the playoffs last year? RG3 or Shanahan and his son? Where were the Redskins before RG3 came.
You aren't entirely wrong, but they had relied on guys like Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, past his prime Mark Brunell, and Patrick Ramsey. Their last decent talent at RB was Portis. The team was always fairly strong defensively but had poor QB play that held them back. They made the playoffs years back with Todd Collins at the helm, and won as many games in the post-season as RGIII did.

RG3 was the only reason they made the playoffs.
Alfred Morris was pretty good.

Top Bottom