• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

Indies and steam might be the future. We will see.

Also it is way too early to say that things are great and will improve on last gen. Things look grim to me. We had 5 consoles last gen: wii, ps3, 360, ds and pep. The handheld market will probably be half of what it was last gen. Wiis 100 million sales are pretty much gone. And even if PS4 and Bone sell better than the PS3 and 360 it is pretty optimistic to think they will make up for the death of the Wii.

The handheld market is down because the vita sells like negative units each month. The 3DS is selling great, it is just that the PSP sold over 80m and nothing is going to pick up that slack. If XB1 and PS4 can sell anywhere near what 360/PS3 sold the industry will be in great shape. Wii sold a ton of consoles but the money spent on it was very low. No online subscription and the lowest attach rate of the 3 consoles. Just wait until XB1 and PS4 get down to more mass market friendly prices, they are doing to do amazing.

bionic77

The handheld market is down because the vita sells like negative units each month. The 3DS is selling great, it is just that the PSP sold over 80m and nothing is going to pick up that slack. If XB1 and PS4 can sell anywhere near what 360/PS3 sold the industry will be in great shape. Wii sold a ton of consoles but the money spent on it was very low. No online subscription and the lowest attach rate of the 3 consoles. Just wait until XB1 and PS4 get down to more mass market friendly prices, they are doing to do amazing.
3DS is selling well but way behind DS. And you can't say things are great when we are losing close to 180 million consoles/handhelds from Sony and Nintendo from one gen to the next.

The question is how much of that slack will the 3DS, Bone and PS4 pick up? And more importantly which developers are going to be healthy 3 years from now. I mean Japan seems to be on life support outside of Nintendo. They aren't even making that many handheld games anymore. Seems to be just ports to phones. Certain US devs are going amazing numbers, but there are a lot of others that are struggling. I mean isn't even EA tanking?

3DS is selling well but way behind DS. And you can't say things are great when we are losing close to 180 million consoles/handhelds from Sony and Nintendo from one gen to the next.

The question is how much of that slack will the 3DS, Bone and PS4 pick up? And more importantly which developers are going to be healthy 3 years from now. I mean Japan seems to be on life support outside of Nintendo. They aren't even making that many handheld games anymore. Seems to be just ports to phones. Certain US devs are going amazing numbers, but there are a lot of others that are struggling. I mean isn't even EA tanking?

Last financial report we got from EA was Q2 FY14, and their profits were up over 100m for that quarter which exceeded their expectations. I dont see why the industry needs to replace all those handheld and console sales. Total revenue was up in December, and hardware sales were way up. At the end of this gen total hardware sold will definitely be down but I bet total revenue will be up, the industry actually seems really healthy right now. Both consoles have launched better then expected. We just need Nintendo to get shit figured out with the WiiU.

Last financial report we got from EA was Q2 FY14, and their profits were up over 100m for that quarter which exceeded their expectations. I dont see why the industry needs to replace all those handheld and console sales. Total revenue was up in December, and hardware sales were way up. At the end of this gen total hardware sold will definitely be down but I bet total revenue will be up, the industry actually seems really healthy right now. Both consoles have launched better then expected. We just need Nintendo to get shit figured out with the WiiU.

If you're not growing, you're shrinking.

KingGondo

Banned
how the hell does any NFL player get into these situations is beyond me

don't each players' agent help out with financial planning as well? it's not up to the agent, but the player to take responsibility.
Divorce
Child support
Entourages
Stupid business ventures ("investments")
Taxes
Agents
Lavish purchases

jakncoke

Banned
Texas stripclubs however are seeing record profits!

vince_young_drunk11.jpg

Divorce
Child support
Entourages
Stupid business ventures ("investments")
Taxes
Agents
Lavish purchases

Don't forget family

Also, didnt Vince take a 1.8 million loan during the lockout that had a ridiculous interest rate?

Certain US devs are going amazing numbers, but there are a lot of others that are struggling. I mean isn't even EA tanking?
When you've worked so hard to destroy any semblance of a middle ground and depend on nothing but costly AAA experiences (not just publishers but platform holders) - maybe a possible crash is a good thing? The indie scene is filling in the blanks right now for what should be a "middle" market in gaming for me but even the big guys don't seem to understand what they're doing with anything outside of their big name releases.

Why was Puppeteer released at retail for $40? That had small PSN game written all over it. It was a niche title from the get-go but Sony had the bright idea to make it a full on retail game. Dumb and its a solid fun little platformer, too. That's just one example but you see it throughout the industry.

Hardware sales being up is nice but they aren't an indicator of the overall health of the industry long term. 7 years of pent up demand for a new generation of consoles is fueling a lot of the success of the PS4 and Xbox One which is great! I love seeing it but software sales declining is a concerning trend and until we see a real shift in pricing structure ($60 games need to die) I think it's a trend that will continue. Very few are willing to take chances on a $60 game for better or worse. It's why the NPD is full of the usual suspects year in and year out, IMO.

bionic77

When you've worked so hard to destroy any semblance of a middle ground and depend on nothing but costly AAA experiences (not just publishers but platform holders) - maybe a possible crash is a good thing? The indie scene is filling in the blanks right now for what should be a "middle" market in gaming for me but even the big guys don't seem to understand what they're doing with anything outside of their big name releases.

Why was Puppeteer released at retail for $40? That had small PSN game written all over it. It was a niche title from the get-go but Sony had the bright idea to make it a full on retail game. Dumb and its a solid fun little platformer, too. That's just one example but you see it throughout the industry.

Hardware sales being up is nice but they aren't an indicator of the overall healthy of the industry long term. 7 years of pent up demand for a new generation of consoles is fueling a lot of the success of the PS4 and Xbox One which is great! I love seeing it but software sales declining is a concerning trend and until we see a real shift in pricing structure ($60 games need to die) I think it's a trend that will continue. Very few are willing to take chances on a $60 game for better or worse. It's why the NPD is full of the usual suspects year in and year out, IMO.
20 seems like the right price for most games. But the costs and license fees make that tough.

I am probably wrong but I still think the future is going to be an open source OS for a lot of cheap Roku like devices which in like a few more years will have like PS3 graphics for a hundred bucks. No one had pulled it off yet though. Maybe gabe.

The console market as we know it is dying. The absolute amount of gamers in that market is dwindling rapidly. While Yankee is right that revenue's are increased it is a short term stop gap that will also shrink as the market continues to dwindle.

MS and Sony know this and they are trying to stem the tide with services like Live and PSN - services that differentiate themselves if ever slightly from their competitors and give gamers reasons to stay.

Nintendo is in a different boat entirely. The market they've shot for has been usurped completely by Smartphones and tablets, and the core they've abandoned don't associate them with gaming.

3rd party devs are in danger as well - the console market has gone from a tiered system to a AAA focused race to the bottom for similar dollars. Smaller devs need not applyif they want to make money. Either your game competes with COD players or you shutter your doors. Indie titles will be made with Smartphones in mind - PS4 exclusives don't make money anymore.

Nameless

vince_young_drunk11.jpg

Don't forget family

Also, didnt Vince take a 1.8 million loan during the lockout that had a ridiculous interet rate?

Legend! I'll always respect VY for taking the greasiest of shits on Pete Carroll and smearing it in. Plus dude knows how to party.

But I'll never understand how someone spends 5k a week at Cheesecake Factory instead of investing in a Cheesecake Factory.

bionic77

Legend! I'll always respect VY for taking the greasiest of shits on Pete Carroll and smearing it in. Plus dude knows how to party.

But I'll never understand how someone spends 5k a week at Cheesecake Factory instead of investing in a Cheesecake Factory.
Does Cheesecake Factory still have the meals with the highest amount of calories for any national chain?

I have not been in awhile but their portions used to be very generous. You could go there for dinner and have a decent lunch for the next day as well.

jakncoke

Banned
5k a week at cheesecake factory? wut

Was he going 3 times a week with a entourage of 30?

I really cant comprehend how a place can make something so unhealthy. In my logic, you gotta try real fucking hard to get something that puts up these amounts of calories, and mg of sodium.

Cheesecake Factory’s Crispy Chicken Costoletta (2,610 calories, 89 grams of saturated fat and 2,720 mg of sodium)

bionic77

5k a week at cheesecake factory? wut

Was he going 3 times a week with a entourage of 30?

I really cant comprehend how a place can make something so unhealthy. In my logic, you gotta try real fucking hard to get something that puts up these amounts of calories, and mg of sodium.
The wait for a CF on the weekend is crazy. Always 2+ hours.

We Americans likes our fatty food.

The console market as we know it is dying. The absolute amount of gamers in that market is dwindling rapidly. While Yankee is right that revenue's are increased it is a short term stop gap that will also shrink as the market continues to dwindle.

MS and Sony know this and they are trying to stem the tide with services like Live and PSN - services that differentiate themselves if ever slightly from their competitors and give gamers reasons to stay.

Nintendo is in a different boat entirely. The market they've shot for has been usurped completely by Smartphones and tablets, and the core they've abandoned don't associate them with gaming.

3rd party devs are in danger as well - the console market has gone from a tiered system to a AAA focused race to the bottom for similar dollars. Smaller devs need not applyif they want to make money. Either your game competes with COD players or you shutter your doors. Indie titles will be made with Smartphones in mind - PS4 exclusives don't make money anymore.

Publishers have an unrealistic expectation for game sales because of COD. The golden age of console gaming has come and gone but there is still a good market there despite it shrinking in the past few years

Draxal

Publishers have an unrealistic expectation for game sales because of COD. The golden age of console gaming has come and gone but there is still a good market there despite it shrinking in the past few years

Development costs have skyrocketed.

What will eventually happen is that developers and publishers will take advantage of the crowdsourcing craze just like they are taking advantage of IAP.

Donate $100,000.00 to suck Chris Avellone's cock, and pretty much all of gaming side will jump on it.

jakncoke

Banned
The wait for a CF on the weekend is crazy. Always 2+ hours.

We Americans likes our fatty food.

My ex convinced me it was a good idea to go there once around lunch time. Had to wait like 45 minutes. I think the only thing we received that wasnt over cooked was those buffalo bite things lol

Nameless

Does Cheesecake Factory still have the meals with the highest amount of calories for any national chain?

I have not been in awhile but their portions used to be very generous. You could go there for dinner and have a decent lunch for the next day as well.

Honestly I have no idea. My name isn't Matthew Stafford. I bet he'd find the idea of saving some for lunch the next day appalling and shame you for it.

bionic77

Honestly I have no idea. My name isn't Matthew Stafford. I bet he'd find the idea of saving some for lunch the next day appalling and shame you for it.
Stafford would probably be one of the very few who would actually complain about the size of the portions for the price.

Something about that legendary qb screams all you can eat buffet to me.

MechDX

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 35m
There's speculation in New England that 14 year def assistant Pepper Johnson resigned so he could be reunited with Romeo Crennel.

Bread....its happening

Colasante

No! Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia retired. He's a legend. The end of the Belichick/Brady era is officially commencing.

cdyhybrid

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1m
Whoa. Pats OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retires. That's gonna leave a mark.

#TheDecline

Not trying to pawn off Mallet anymore? You disappoint me Dutch

We have to keep Mallett ourselves to challenge your Dynasty. Pats and Pats South will be fighting eachother in de AFCCG for the next decade.

The Cheat would turn those 2 1sts into 14 7ths.

You have such clever jokes.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1m
Whoa. Pats OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retires. That's gonna leave a mark.

#TheDecline

Fuck. Me.

Top Bottom