• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

Crisco

Banned
It's probably true almost due to QBs alone. Who were the best QBs in this past draft? EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Mike Glennon? The top 3 QBs in this draft are all better than those 3. Lots of really good receivers too. You usually don't see this many guys who have both NFL measurables and were productive on the field.

squicken

The problem is that we are now comparing potential to production, and we are comparing the potential careers of over-hyper college studmuthafuckas to rookies who probably underwhelmed in 2013 in limited roles that will grow over time. We look at what Bridgewater could be and assume ultimate success while looking at the bust that is IRG3-13.

I get what you are saying, but Breer is saying this QB class is a lot like the 2011 class where teams will kick themselves for reaching on any of them. No sure fire guy. So he isn't really pumping up any of the QBs at least

bionic77

Yeah so much depends on which situation you walk into.

Any rookie drafted by the Raiders has no chance at succeeding in life. Any offensive player Rex and the Jets select might as well quit football too.

LOL @ the 49ers window closing. The core strength of their team is still the D. Kaep is in his 3rd year. Gore can be replaced by another RB they select in the 3rd or 4rth round.
The window is probably closing unless they make some noise in the draft. At least closing to win a SB. I am sure they will still be over 500 unless they get crushed by injuries (which kind of already happened).

Not for long bro...

squicken

Why Your Playoff Team Didn’t Reach Super Bowl XLVIII: NFC

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers’ passing attack also screeched to a halt in the second half as Steve Smith’s bum knee grew progressively worse. Early on, when Smith was fluid and spry, Newton was tremendous with tight, well-timed, deep-intermediate throws from the pocket. Offensive coordinator Mike Shula helped Newton get comfortable by having him run early on. That, however, added to the young quarterback’s hit totals, which started taking a toll late in the second half, when Carolina’s O-line had trouble with the sheer strength of San Francisco’s front. The Niners used intentionally slower mush-rushes to keep Newton from scrambling outside the pocket. With this, plus Smith being ineffective, the ancillary receivers were unable to get open and Newton couldn’t get a clear picture as a continuous drop-back passer.

Philadelphia Eagles

It was shrewd of Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to not blitz very often. When you blitz, you give the quarterback an opportunity to throw a defined hot route. When you play coverage, you force the quarterback to make progression reads. Foles, because he takes such good care of the ball, is generally perceived to be an intelligent progression passer. But like most second-year quarterbacks, the reality is that he relies on his system and needs to have his progressions limited to two, maybe three, depending on the route designs.

Green Bay Packers
More than that, though, was the poor play at quarterback. Aaron Rodgers—the Canton-bound Rodgers—was terrible. He was jittery in the pocket, choppy as he transitioned from one progression to the next, and often not sharp when finally uncorking the ball. Rodgers might have been playing just his second game since returning from a broken left collarbone, but he still made a few spectacular improvised plays. Ultimately, he gave the offense no flow, which is what you need against the 49ers’ defense.

San Francisco 49ers

Kaepernick pinned the loss on himself, but that’s too harsh. San Francisco and Seattle both came in having leaned on their terrific rushing attacks. Only Seattle’s showed up. While Frank Gore was stymied, Marshawn Lynch became the first player to rush for 100 yards against San Fran’s voracious D since Dec. 22, 2012.

eznark

Banned
I was really sad for a second when I thought the excellent Greg Bedard had decided to blame Gore and Rodgers for the awful line play but then I saw it was Benoit and yeah, that idiocy makes sense.

I get what you are saying, but Breer is saying this QB class is a lot like the 2011 class where teams will kick themselves for reaching on any of them. No sure fire guy. So he isn't really pumping up any of the QBs at least

I used QB's as an example because everyone knows the names and we are in Super Bowl week, which means lifelongs. I'm trying to be inclusive.

Colasante

The window is probably closing unless they make some noise in the draft. At least closing to win a SB. I am sure they will still be over 500 unless they get crushed by injuries (which kind of already happened).

Not for long bro...

I don't see how the 49ers window could possibly be closing. They were a play away from the Super Bowl this season after getting minimal contribution from their draft picks of the past two years outside of Eric Reid. Next year they'll be bringing in Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore, two players who might have been first round picks if they weren't injured. They've shown an aptitude for drafting well at every position besides wide receiver. They'll be fine and should be a Super Bowl contender for at least the next five years with the players they have now, not even considering the players they'll bring in in that time.

Tom Penny

The measurable talent disparty in the NFL is miniscule. It's not like the NBA were odds of a good player out of the lottery jump down ridiculous levels. So many guys go undrafted and end up making an impact on teams. I think the hardest part about the NFL is the rosters are so big and coaches have to identify what every player does well and only use them in those roles or else those players get immediately exposed on the playing field. It's a team game but at the end of the day it's pretty much which team has more it's players win individual matchups on every play.

Wrayfield

Yeah so much depends on which situation you walk into.

Any rookie drafted by the Raiders has no chance at succeeding in life. Any offensive player Rex and the Jets select might as well quit football too.

LOL @ the 49ers window closing. The core strength of their team is still the D. Kaep is in his 3rd year. Gore can be replaced by another RB they select in the 3rd or 4rth round.

Yeah, shaking my head, too. Gore might be old, but a RB can be replaced given the right O line which they have. D is and will be solid to great for years to come. They always find talent for depth (what's that RB kid's name that got that horrible injury in college, I forget, I think they drafted or signed him knowing he will need at least 1 full year to recover). Kaep is a few plays going his way away from already having won one SB and being in another. Also doesn't seem to be Stafford-stubborn and will certainly learn with every game. And those wheels on him, man... Barring any crippling injuries, these guys will be in the playoffs for years to come. Wish I had the luxury to complain about my team like that...

eznark

Banned
Erin Andrews is terrified of this thug.

BerHA_nCAAAvdGd.jpg:large

Draxal

That's fair, the media does have a tendency to always claim the next draft will be the best draft, but the 2013 draft seems as weak in retrospect as it did heading into it. I think the Browns front office make have actually done something smart for once.

Ayup, its more about people were saying that 2013 was weak than 2014 is stronger than normal. Especially in the qb class, as the qb class is going to be pushing other talent downward.

The measurable talent disparty in the NFL is miniscule. It's not like the NBA were odds of a good player out of the lottery jump down ridiculous levels. So many guys go undrafted and end up making an impact on teams. I think the hardest part about the NFL is the rosters are so big and coaches have to identify what every player does well and only use them in those roles or else those players get immediately exposed on the playing field. It's a team game but at the end of the day it's pretty much which team has more it's players win individual matchups on every play.

This is probably the best post you've ever made.

Crisco

Banned
I don't see how the 49ers window could possibly be closing. They were a play away from the Super Bowl this season after getting minimal contribution from their draft picks of the past two years outside of Eric Reid. Next year they'll be bringing in Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore, two players who might have been first round picks if they weren't injured. They've shown an aptitude for drafting well at every position besides wide receiver. They'll be fine and should be a Super Bowl contender for at least the next five years with the players they have now, not even considering the players they'll bring in in that time.

49ers will probably be fine, but nothing is guaranteed. Everyone thought the Packers were setup for multiple super bowl runs but they've only won one playoff game since the championship year, thanks to Joe Webb. This is with the best QB in the NFL and a free ride to the playoffs every year in that division.

Justin Smith and Patrick Willis were already slowing down, and now Bowman will be recovering from a serious knee injury. You have to think that defense will take a step back next year, and it will be up to Kaep and the offense to pick up the slack. In a tough division where they might be the 3rd best defense next year, who knows what their future holds.

Draxal

49ers will probably be fine, but nothing is guaranteed. Everyone thought the Packers were setup for multiple super bowl runs but they've only won one playoff game since the championship year, thanks to Joe Webb. This is with the best QB in the NFL and a free ride to the playoffs every year in that division.

Justin Smith and Patrick Willis were already slowing down, and now Bowman will be recovering from a serious knee injury. You have to think that defense will take a step back next year, and it will be up to Kaep and the offense to pick up the slack. In a tough division where they might be the 3rd best defense next year, who knows what their future holds.

You have to worry about injuries with the 49ers, they haven't had many, and its sabotaged many of a teams seasons (ala the Packers).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
He's been moved to a later flight now.

And now Mort and Schafer have confirmed what Will Burge said earlier. The browns will offer the head coach job to Pettine and work on the contract.

Mary Kay strikes again.

squicken

You have to worry about injuries with the 49ers, they haven't had many, and its sabotaged many of a teams seasons (ala the Packers).

But the Packers are never healthy. Even their SB season they had a ton of injuries. The Rams year after year were the most injured team in football. Fisher's TEN teams were always amongst the healthiest. He gets to STL and the Rams have been quite healthy. Just have to wonder what some teams do that keeps their guys on the field vs those that don't

Nameless

Not for long bro...

Well yeah. Competitive teams in the cap era are forced to sustain themselves through the draft and finding value in free agency. Good cheap labor is key.

On that front, a lot like the Pats, we do a good job of identifying guys who can develop & thrive within our system. Hopefully that translates to similar longevity.

Doomsayer

Our 2013 draft picks pretty much all red-shirted last year except for Eric Reid, who was phenomenal. Tank, Lattimore, and Dial are going to be huge for us next year.

Our backup ILB are also very good, Wilhoite filled in when Willis was out and played his role perfectly. I have to say I'm worried about Bowman though, that was a tough injury. We need to draft a corner (or two), a receiver, and safety - I don't see Whitner back next year.

Our window may be small, but we can still make some noise with good drafting and a few key free agent signings. I'm optimistic.

Draxal

But the Packers are never healthy. Even their SB season they had a ton of injuries. The Rams year after year were the most injured team in football. Fisher's TEN teams were always amongst the healthiest. He gets to STL and the Rams have been quite healthy. Just have to wonder what some teams do that keeps their guys on the field vs those that don't

During the Super Bowl run, didn't the Packers suddenly get healthy again?

And with the 49ers, they took some serious injuries in the champsionship game with Bowman and Iupati, it's pretty much fluke luck.

Our 2013 draft picks pretty much all red-shirted last year except for Eric Reid, who was phenomenal. Tank, Lattimore, and Dial are going to be huge for us next year.

Our backup ILB are also very good, Wilhoite filled in when Willis was out and played his role perfectly. I have to say I'm worried about Bowman though, that was a tough injury. We need to draft a corner (or two), a receiver, and safety - I don't see Whitner back next year.

Our window may be small, but we can still make some noise with good drafting and a few key free agent signings. I'm optimistic.
Lattimore blew out his knee too many times without HGH recovery....

LJ11

How fucked is Marrone?

Needs to find a QB coach, a DB coach potentially, a DC, and maybe a few others that I expect to leave with Pettine.

Start polishing that resume bud.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Walter Thurmond trying to play some mind games with the officials about the Welker play.

I do think it's strange the league said it was legal, clearly Welker makes contact before the ball got to Thomas... with replays it's clear.

welker%20talib.png

This league sometimes.. but then again.. most of the fans keep to the idea hit him after the ball.

If Welker tries that against Seattle he's getting laid out.

dionysus

Yaldog
I'd hate to be a fan that only measures success by superbowls. How are you ever happy? 49ers are a great team and obviously Harbaugh has some small part to do with that.

Walter Thurmond trying to play some mind games with the officials about the Welker play.

I do think it's strange the league said it was legal, clearly Welker makes contact before the ball got to Thomas... with replays it's clear.

welker%20talib.png

This league sometimes.. but then again.. most of the fans keep to the idea hit him after the ball.

If Welker tries that against Seattle he's getting laid out.

Welker won't get "laid out" if he blindsides a Seattle DB in the same manner.

Denver lives on pick plays so Seattle DBs need to be aware

I'd hate to be a fan that only measures success by superbowls. How are you ever happy? 49ers are a great team and obviously Harbaugh has some small part to do with that.

There's only so many times you can get so close and not win it all before you get tired of it, ask the Bills and Eagles.

And it's not just that they lost, it's how they lost. In 2011 (no disrespect to the Giants) they were the superior team playing at home and lost, and then last year they go and lose to JFF (Joe Fucking Flacco) in the Superb Owl.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It doesn't matter if he made contact. The rule is whether or not he initiated contact.

Well, clearly when you put your head down and lead shoulder first it's clear what you are attempting to do.

Welker won't get "laid out" if he blindsides a Seattle DB in the same manner.

Denver lives on pick plays so Seattle DBs need to be aware

I think they are aware, and we'll be looking for it. Of course, stopping it won't be so easy.

They really do need to clamp down on this stuff though.. it never seems to get called and it's happening more and more (pick/rubs). It's such a cheap way to take advantage of the rules restricting what defensive players can do.

eznark

Banned
Clearly the league disagrees.

How else do you measure success if not by number of times you are..ya know...successful? What kind of hippy bullshit "participation is what really matters" nonsense are you spewing?

Doomsayer

There's only so many times you can get so close and not win it all before you get tired of it, ask the Bills and Eagles.

And it's not just that they lost, it's how they lost. In 2011 (no disrespect to the Giants) they were the superior team playing at home and lost, and then last year they go and lose to JFF (Joe Fucking Flacco) in the Superb Owl.

Yeah, these past three years I've gotten my heart ripped out. Kaep really needs to make a jump next year or else we may have to look elsewhere... okay I don't believe that is true for a minute but he does need to show improvement. I think keeping Boldin is quintessential to our success.

If Kaep can dedicate himself to watching film and working on his mechanics and not just get swoll, we have a legitimate shot at wining the bowl next year.

.. :(

dionysus

Yaldog

I can get that. I am speaking generally though, 49ers were just an excuse to bring it up.

I also get frustrated at stuff like the very common attitude that a QB needs to have a winning record in the playoffs or else he is a fraud. Same with coaches. To me it is kind of like parroting the sports media, who don't really believe the shit they say but say stupid controversial shit anyway because it gets viewers and listeners.

Personally I am very happy with the Saints season. Great progress over last year and a playoff win on the road to boot. Got beat by the better team but it was a good game. I would be happy next year if we just maintained that level of performance, though obviously I would like to see them win more.

Top Bottom