• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Yeah, these past three years I've gotten my heart ripped out. Kaep really needs to make a jump next year or else we may have to look elsewhere... okay I don't believe that is true for a minute but he does need to show improvement. I think keeping Boldin is quintessential to our success.

If Kaep can dedicate himself to watching film and working on his mechanics and not just get swoll, we have a legitimate shot at wining the bowl next year.

.. :(

I've got bad news for you. Copernicus is going to sign a massive, $60M guaranteed contract later this year. There won't be any looking elsewhere or hoping he develops. You'll be in blarry land.

Talon

They really do need to clamp down on this stuff though.. it never seems to get called and it's happening more and more (pick/rubs). It's such a cheap way to take advantage of the rules restricting what defensive players can do.
It's been happening in football since the mid-90s. Spurrier pioneered this shit at the college level. People deal.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bitch Kitty

image.php

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
How else do you measure success if not by number of times you are..ya know...successful? What kind of hippy bullshit "participation is what really matters" nonsense are you spewing?

:jnc

I think as far as being "happy" with my team, that's only sometimes in the offseason and during the regular season if we're doing well. Mostly it's the hope of winning that makes me happy.

This time of year, however, I'm usually pretty unhappy with the Packers for crushing my dreams. It's a vicious cycle in all sports really.

squicken

Yikes I don't worry about the defense so much, but that wouldn't be an inspiring OC hire for Pettine. Surprised Buffalo would let him take so many assistants

I wish the dolphins at least made the playoffs every other year instead of collapsing like we do every year. Sure being like the eagles would suck but being like the dolphins sucks even more.

MechDX

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Perfect storm for #Texans twitter meltdown. Draft Clowney, Derek Carr at #33. Schaub starts week 1 of 2014. Servers would melt.

Sad but true. The meltdowns from not drafting JFF and then drafting a Carr would be EPIC

Giants have hired Craig Johnson as their new running backs coach:

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blog...ks-Coach/7a12c3d1-718f-4843-8b7c-9a56e24388a3

The Giants today filled one of the openings on their coaching staff when they named Craig Johnson as their running backs coach.

Johnson, who is entering his 32nd year in coaching and 15th in the NFL, was the Minnesota Vikings’ quarterbacks coach the previous three seasons. He previously held the same position for 10 seasons with the Tennessee Titans, where he was also assistant head coach and running backs coach in 2010.

“This is a veteran coach that has coached some great players, like Steve McNair,” head coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s been around a while and has experience as a quarterbacks coach, as a running backs coach and he’s been a coordinator in college.”

“I’m really excited about the opportunity to join such a great franchise,” Johnson said. “I’ve always admired coach Coughlin during the many years I’ve coached against him. I’ll come here to do my part to help the Giants get to and win a Super Bowl.

More from Coughlin:

“I think (Johnson) is an excellent teacher and his versatility is going to add a lot to our staff and, of course, to the running backs room,” Coughlin said. “He’ll be an excellent contributor for the coordinator with ideas. His interview was very impressive as we put him on the board. He really did an outstanding job with protections. And he’s talked long and hard about ball security. Pass protection and ball security are both very important to me.”

"I wish my team was just good enough to lose multiple conference championship games!" Rolls right off the tongue.

You aren't understanding brah. You are a spoiled steelers fan who came on board in 05 and you don't grasp how awful it is to not being a contender year after year. But you will understand soon enough as the steelers continually miss the playoffs!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
"I wish my team was just good enough to lose multiple conference championship games!" Rolls right off the tongue.

31 teams sit at the losers table every season. The only difference is that some of us have more reason to believe that our team can actually win the Super Bowl.

Do Bills fans celebrate losing 4 straight Super Bowls? The answer to that question should settle this debate.

You aren't understanding brah. You are a spoiled steelers fan who came on board in 05 and you don't grasp how awful it is to not being a contender year after year. But you will understand soon enough as the steelers continually miss the playoffs!

It's okay to be mad about them losing fmt. Let it out, we're all friends here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

31 teams sit at the losers table every season. The only difference is that some of us have more reason to believe that our team can actually win the Super Bowl.

Do Bills fans celebrate losing 4 straight Super Bowls? The answer to that question should settle this debate.

They look back at those years fondly.

Bills fans would take 1 playoff win this decade. Would be an improvement for them.

Bill fans have almost nothing to be thankful for, where is that playoff drought pick chart, aren't they dead last with no playoffs since 99?

bionic77

Clearly the league disagrees.

How else do you measure success if not by number of times you are..ya know...successful? What kind of hippy bullshit "participation is what really matters" nonsense are you spewing?
Superbowls are not realistic for every franchise every year ez. Like the Steelers, Packers and Browns right now for example.

Just like in youth sports where every kid gets a trophy just for showing up we can also focus on positives like sportsmanship, friendship and effort. The Steelers didn't win a lot of games and their effort and sportsmanship is questionable but we made a lot of friends this year so I think the season was a huge success. Do you know how many qbs and running backs said they loved playing our team this year? Our friendship stats are off the charts right now. Whereas the Niners had more wins but no one wants to go Candlestick where the atmosphere is not as friendly for teams or fans.

bionic77

Every niners fan is mad about losing on Sunday. I'd rather be mad about that then to have never had a chance to compete in the playoffs like the steelers
No way.

Losing the SB or championship game hurts way more than sucking balls and missing the playoffs. I have lived though both many times. That shitty feeling following a bad playoff loss never goes away.

To put it in terms you would understand. Losing when so close to the Super Bowl would be like Alyssa Milano getting naked and than straddling you getting ready for a sexy release of feces on your chest and then right before it happened changing her mind and fucking your Afro American roommate. Playoff blue balls are the worst.

Would you rather have been a Patriots fan or a Jaguars fan looking at the last 5 seasons? Don't ask Gata for help with this one.

It's not about choosing. If I had to choose the Steelers would win every year.

It's nice to participate in the playoffs, but the goal of the playoffs is to win the championship, regardless of the sport. It's stupid to act like any fan is happy with losing in the playoffs, especially with so many low seeds winning in recent years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They look back at those years fondly.

Bills fans would take 1 playoff win this decade. Would be an improvement for them.

It's an improvement but do they really look "fondly"? I would think they would view it as a sad missed opportunity more than anything else. I'm still mad about 1997 and 2011!

It's probably true almost due to QBs alone. Who were the best QBs in this past draft? EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Mike Glennon? The top 3 QBs in this draft are all better than those 3. Lots of really good receivers too. You usually don't see this many guys who have both NFL measurables and were productive on the field.

I believe you forgot Matt fucking McGloin. Highest total QBR of any rookie QB and higher than small hands, which admittedly isn't saying much I suppose.

dionysus

Yaldog

It's nice to participate in the playoffs, but the goal of the playoffs is to win the championship, regardless of the sport. It's stupid to act like any fan is happy with losing in the playoffs, especially with so many low seeds winning in recent years.

It is not about being happy with a loss. It is about not being negatively hyperbolic about the state of your qb/coach/etc and appreciating that a season can be a good season without coming home with a ring. Fuck lets fire 31 front offices and 31 coaching staffs and cut 31 qbs because 31 teams lost that year.

No way.

Losing the SB or championship game hurts way more than sucking balls and missing the playoffs. I have lived though both many times. That shitty feeling following a bad playoff loss never goes away.

To put it in terms you would understand. Losing when so close to the Super Bowl would be like Alyssa Milano getting naked and than straddling you getting ready for a sexy release of feces on your chest and then right before it happened changing her mind and fucking your Afro American roommate. Playoff blue balls are the worst.

I still remember the last time Miami lost in the AFCC game, I cried that day :( still painful, but trying sucking ass for over a decade...it's just pain all through the season. It's two different things but I'd much rather have Miami in the AFCC for the last 3 years and lose out than watch whatever pathetic attempt at football they've been trying for the last 13

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I don't know if I'll ever fully recover from the Leafs blowing game 7 last year.

ToxicAdam

I'm a big fan of Pettine's work on Storage Wars. His wife is pretty hot and he always has a way of finding good deals. Hopefully, he can work that magic in the free agent market.

pettine-hired-story.jpg

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Walter Thurmond trying to play some mind games with the officials about the Welker play.

I do think it's strange the league said it was legal, clearly Welker makes contact before the ball got to Thomas... with replays it's clear.

welker%20talib.png

This league sometimes.. but then again.. most of the fans keep to the idea hit him after the ball.

If Welker tries that against Seattle he's getting laid out.

They supposed to be touching in the circle? The shadows say different though? I'm lost. I didn't follow any of this when it happened.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Look, all of this is really about team trajectories and expectations. If your team is shit, then you root for reason to hope. If you team is decent, you root for further improvement and making as much noise as possible. If your team is good, then you root to win it all.

It's fine to feel satisfied when your team overperforms and exceeds expectations, but when your team was good enough to win but couldn't, then you're fairly justified in feeling disappointment.

eznark

Banned
Superbowls are not realistic for every franchise every year ez. Like the Steelers, Packers and Browns right now for example.

I've spent my life rooting for the Packers and Brewers. I know perennial contention and perennial Browns-dom. I was just as angry and pissed off when the Brewers lost to the Cardinals in the playoffs (actually much more so if I am being honest. Go die Roenicke) as I am when the Brewers get knocked out in May. There is no satisfaction in losing, even if you get slightly closer to winning than you did previously. You're still a fucking loser and you're going right back to the drawing board the next year.

If you didn't win the Super Bowl, you ended the season as a loser.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It is not about being happy with a loss. It is about not being negatively hyperbolic about the state of your qb/coach/etc and appreciating that a season can be a good season without coming home with a ring. Fuck lets fire 31 front offices and 31 coaching staffs and cut 31 qbs because 31 teams lost that year.

There's a difference between evaluating whether or not you have all the pieces to actually win the Super Bowl and being happy with the outcome of your season.

I dunno, maybe because Green Bay has had a great quarterback for 20+ years (and a good Majkowski before Favre...so 25 years) that every season we don't win is a quantifiable failure.

I'm just shocked you Niners fans are actually arguing against Deacon, myself, ez and others on this. You guys should have higher standards considering your history. Being happy with a losing season is talk reserved for delusional Lions fans.

Tom Penny

No way.

So in other words you would rather have watched the Steelers and Lakers miss the playoffs every single year they did not win the title. Makes sense...

I would like to hear from Colts fans. Were you happy with the Colts having perennial 14-2/13-3/12-4 seasons and only having 1 Super Bowl win to show for it?

eznark

Banned
I would like to hear from Colts fans. Were you happy with the Colts having perennial 14-2/13-3/12-4 seasons and only having 1 Super Bowl win to show for it?

Winning 15 games and losing in the playoffs is awesome! Did you see our fucking regular season, dude!? IT WAS DYNOMITE!

So in other words you would rather have watched the Steelers and Lakers miss the playoffs every single year they did not win the title. Makes sense...
No one ever said anything even remotely reflecting this. Not even a hint of an iota of a mention of this type of choice.

Top Bottom