• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pro Bowl Week: Neon Deion vs. The Fumbling Fraud

Hammer24

Banned
I hope you're right. I would love for the Steelers to trade down into the 20's pick up a WR in the late half of the first, then get 2 picks in the 2nd for an ILB and TE

The only problem I could see with this scenario is, that no position really stands out in this years draft. So I don´t expect a position specific "run", but teams actually drafting on a need or best available basis.

Talon

The only problem I could see with this scenario is, that no position really stands out in this years draft. So I don´t expect a position specific "run", but teams actually drafting on a need or best available basis.
...what?

Offensive tackle and OLB will almost certainly have 6 guys taken between the positions in the first 10 picks.

MECH!
it's happening!
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns are interested in ex-Texans coach Gary Kubiak for their offensive coordinator vacancy.
New coach Mike Pettine and Kubiak have never worked together in the past. As RapSheet points out, Kubiak's fit in Cleveland would make some sense considering the Browns have repeatedly been linked to Texans free-agent running back Ben Tate for the past couple months. Kubiak's addition would be welcome news to Josh Gordon, as well. Andre Johnson was force-fed the ball in Houston.

I hope you're right. I would love for the Steelers to trade down into the 20's pick up a WR in the late half of the first, then get 2 picks in the 2nd for an ILB and TE

I think Colbert's only traded down in the first round once during his tenure, and that was when they grabbed Hampton way back in '01. It's something that I wish he would do more of, but usually he's got his eye set on somebody in the first round and refuses to move out of his spot or, if he does, it's to move up like he did when they got Polamalu and Holmes.

Rja2Ott.jpg

Jordan gets what he wants.
Jordanlaugh.gif

squicken

Every WR seems to have some flaw that keeps them from the top 10. Who's a top 10 prospect in this draft?!

I love Watkins except for his size. I try to think of an elite top WR that is 6'1" and just can't come up with anyone. It's a position that is increasingly a bigger man's spot

Hammer24

Banned
...what?

Offensive tackle and OLB will almost certainly have 6 guys taken between the positions in the first 10 picks.

Let´s wait and see, I´m not convinced. With the salary structure discussed earlier, I could even envision Teams reaching for QB´s.

I love Watkins except for his size. I try to think of an elite top WR that is 6'1" and just can't come up with anyone. It's a position that is increasingly a bigger man's spot

PFF rated DJax as the 7th best WR this year and he is only 5'10''. If he had another other WR on the team he would have been an even bigger factor this year, but even with Cooper and Avant as the other WRs he still had a great season. I have no idea what your definition of elite is but he is one of the best WRs in football right now.

Talon

Reggie Wayne is 6'0". Marvin was shorter than that. Roddy White is that height. Steve Smith is 5'9".

Those are all extremely productive receivers that are 6'0" or shorter.

squicken

MECH!
it's happening!

I think Kyle is the better choice but it is the same system. Kubes is a quality OC and he will run the ball, which they need in that weather. ATL podcast was saying that Pettine doesn't get to choose his staff. Banner and Lombardi have that power. Would be nuts if true

Reggie Wayne is 6'0". Marvin was shorter than that. Roddy White is that height. Steve Smith is 5'9".

Yeah I thought of those guys. They are all super technicians, which isn't Watkins game. Also not as dominant as RZ targets. I haven't made up my mind I guess but I just want my top 5/top 10 picks to check all boxes, and he fails the eyeball test for WR1

You'd think so, but it happens every year. Only real question is if that position is going to be WR. Doubt it, but there are a ton of studs this year.

I think Colbert's only traded down in the first round once during his tenure, and that was when they grabbed Hampton way back in '01. It's something that I wish he would do more of, but usually he's got his eye set on somebody in the first round and refuses to move out of his spot or, if he does, it's to move up like he did when they got Polamalu and Holmes.

Yeah I know it's wishful thinking and Colbert probably has his lock guy. I want a ILB though!

:jnc 6'1" is too short now?

The way the rules are going quick fast guys can have a huge impact, the only problem is they are not going to do as well in the RZ, but teams all seem to be going to the TEs in those spots now anyway.

Talon

Let´s wait and see, I´m not convinced. With the salary structure discussed earlier, I could even envision Teams reaching for QB´s.
And those aren't mutually exclusive.

This draft class has been hyped for the last two seasons. Hell, the class set a record by 25 players for juniors that declared early (98 this year, 73 last year).

Talon

The way the rules are going quick fast guys can have a huge impact, the only problem is they are not going to do as well in the RZ, but teams all seem to be going to the TEs in those spots now anyway.
Seems like a non-sequitur.

The only quick, fast guy on that list was Steve Smith and that hasn't been true for him for a few years. Marvin was known as an elite route runner that knew how to keep away from contact. Reggie isn't known for his overwhelming athleticism, but he's been tremendous productive with those absurd hands and is as good of a guy running the fade in the redzone in the league even in spite of his size (ask Mech). Roddy's a strong guy that can run sideline routes as well as anyone in the league, but he's never been a burner.

I also forgot Chad Johnson on that list.

I think the problem here is that you can come up with reason not to draft any of these WR/TE's in the first. They all have problems, be it height, route running ability, hands, or awareness. We all know that's not happening though.

Wes Welker
13 games played
73 receptions
778 yards
10 touchdowns

Julian Edelman
16 games played
105 receptions
1,056 yards
6 touchdowns

Hmm...

You are really basing it off of just this season? Wes plays on a team with other weapons so he doesnt get as many targets. I hope teams around the league think that Edelman is elite and someone over pays for him so that the Pats have no WRs next year.

rando14

brandon marshall is 6'1", so is carbtree, victor cruz is 6'

harvin is 5'11" :cool:

But I agree for the most part, definitely want that 6'3" or so

effzee

I think the problem here is that you can come up with reason not to draft any of these WR/TE's in the first. They all have problems, be it height, route running ability, hands, or awareness. We all know that's not happening though.

Its why most of these unnamed NFL scout guys who leak "buzz" around a player are so contradictory and bogus.

Basically no one belongs in the top 10 depending on who you follow and trust. One guy would tell you Teddy is NFL ready and another that he is too small.

squicken

brandon marshall is 6'1", so is carbtree, victor cruz is 6'

harvin is 5'11" :cool:

But I agree for the most part, definitely want that 6'3" or so

Marshall is 6'4". I guess I'll just say I want my top 5 WRs looking the part. Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green

Rams need 4 new offensive linemen. Not a big deal if they pass on Watkins and draft WR at 13. Or trade down and just throw more darts at the position

Marshall is 6'4". I guess I'll just say I want my top 5 WRs looking the part. Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green

Rams need 4 new offensive linemen. Not a big deal if they pass on Watkins and draft WR at 13. Or trade down and just throw more darts at the position

Not to get sidetracked, but is AJ Green an elite guy? He has the talent, but dude disappears in big moments.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It's true though, Calvin Johnson is arguably the best receiver in the NFL and he's 6'5". I mean the dude has tricked Kas into thinking Fatford is elite!

Not to get sidetracked, but is AJ Green an elite guy? He has the talent, but dude disappears in big moments.

Like Megatron, I think you have to ask yourself is Andy Dalton good by himself or does AJ Green make Andy Dalton look way better than he is? I'm tempted to say AJ Green makes Dalton look good.

brentech

Totally agree. No point in drafting a WR high if he doesn't have all the talent and physical abilities. Too many quality recievers can be had later.

Talon

Yeah I thought of those guys. They are all super technicians, which isn't Watkins game. Also not as dominant as RZ targets. I haven't made up my mind I guess but I just want my top 5/top 10 picks to check all boxes, and he fails the eyeball test for WR1
None of those guys were superb technicians coming out of college outside of Marvin. Reggie, Roddy, and Steve were all great athletes that had overwhelmed inferior talent over the years with just that. Reggie took about 2-3 years to turn into an excellent receiver.

Roddy was a strong, raw athlete when he got to the league, and he developed into a star when he figured out that he'd be more productive within 10-20 yards of the LoS, and he took another season to use his reputation for outs and digs to be more productive down the field.

Now, Watkins is faster than those guys by my estimation. Marvin, Reggie, and Roddy aren't really what you'd call explosive.

My point is, guys don't come into the league as finished products. Calvin Johnson is one of the rarest physical specimens to ever enter the league (and his college career will be the biggest waste of time in history, fucking Reggie Ball). Look at the other young, explosive receivers everyone points at - AJ and Julio. Those guys were athletes that stretched the field their first season and showed significant improvement in their second seasons.

Basically, if you're going to say "stop comparing these guys to Andrew Luck because he's a unicorn," think the same of the Calvin comparison.
Deac, I know you're the Buck Nasty of NFL-GAF but come on, man.

effzee

But how much of that is Dalton throwing to the opposite team?

Maybe if he had a better QB like Stafford who forced the ball to him all the time he would put up better #s.

Totally agree. No point in drafting a WR high if he doesn't have all the talent and physical abilities. Too many quality recievers can be had later.

Who do you draft then? I'm sorry, but I think this OT love fest is overblown, and there aren't enough elite pass rushers to go around.

I think at very least Watkins, Evans, and maybe Marquise Lee will be gone inn the top 16.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I would probably draft Clowney first still....crazy as it sounds considering all of the questions surrounding him. He still has all the physical requirements any NFL team would have on their wishlist.

Talon

I like how this page is the rest of us trying to have a real football discussion and the two Pats fans posting pictures of some midget posing in a Greyhound.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/23/6097761/matthew-barrows-wide-receiver.html

Last year at this time, I spoke with former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who now works for the Seahawks, as the 49ers were preparing to go to New Orleans for the Super Bowl. He said he was happy for his former players and organization but was clear the Seahawks would be busy figuring out ways to knock their rivals from their perch atop the NFC West.

Now the tables are turned.

So how do the 49ers reclaim the division? It’s about one position.

From the trade for Anquan Boldin to Michael Crabtree’s Achilles’ injury to the A.J. Jenkins saga to Colin Kaepernick’s final throw in the end zone, the theme of the 49ers’ 2013 season was their wide receivers.

The lesson was twofold: The 49ers were one injury from being a very – to borrow a word from a certain despised defensive back – mediocre offense. Two, even when the 49ers had their full complement of wideouts, it wasn’t enough to defeat the Seahawks and their outstanding secondary.
Stage 5: Acceptance.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Duck that. If Watkins is there at 15, you take him without hesitation. The only reason that guy says he's not a #1 is because he's not 6'4".

jWILL253

Banned
Here's a few things I have on my mind today.

1. No one should celebrate Conference Championships, IMO. If you win it, great. But there is still one more game to play. I learned back in 2005 that no one should celebrate this. I remember it like it was yesterday. Everyone was buying all those "Seattle Seahawks: 2005 NFC CHAMPIONS!!!" shirts and hats. I couldn't go anywhere without seeing them. And when we lost, they were immediately followed by all those commemorative Super Bowl XL shirts and hats. I especially hate those. It's literally a medal for participation.

If you lose, it's even worse. If you celebrate a CCG loss, then you are quite literally asking for a participation medal.

And with all that said, fuck all the "Seattle Seahawks: 2014 NFC CHAMPIONS!!!" shirts and hats the stores are peddling. Thankfully, I haven't seen that shit around on campus or anything.

2. A good friend of mine told me yesterday that the Friend Zone isn't a real thing. Is that true? Because I tend to get stuck in the FZ a lot. I'm perpetually stuck in the FZ. I'm the Purgatory of FZ's. I'm the real life Black Chris Griffin. I'm the Cleveland Browns of the dating world. If Mewtwo represents dating at its greatness, then I'm Level 1 Magikarp. MIMS' rap career represents my dating life. I am to "game" as Rihanna is to professional acting. My mackin' ability is akin to Chris Christie's fitness. I could go on forever, but nah.

3. Is the Browns' front office ran by blondes, or something?

Top Bottom