• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

My god this championship thing is stupid. The Packers won the first SB in 1966, the year before that they also won the championship. How can anyone claim that there is a difference between the title they won in 1965 and the one they won in 1966.

Packers did not win a title in 1892!!!

Unlike the 49ers

bionic77

My god this championship thing is stupid. The Packers won the first SB in 1966, the year before that they also won the championship. How can anyone claim that there is a difference between the title they won in 1965 and the one they won in 1966.
If it doesn't have Roman Numerals and black people then it doesn't count.

eznark

Banned
If it doesn't have Roman Numerals and black people then it doesn't count.

images

05lewis.1.jpg

bionic77

Btw guys, who is Don Hudson?

Sounds like a shitty NES game that was so bad I couldn't even muster up the interest to finish it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Btw guys, who is Don Hudson?

Sounds like a shitty NES game that was so bad I couldn't even muster up the interest to finish it.

He was a college coach in the 70's that had an outstanding record of 9 wins and 72 losses! Most known as the first African American head football coach at a predominantly white college.

Don Hutson, though, he's a time traveler. A modern day WR transported back to the 1930's.

bionic77

He was a college coach in the 70's that had an outstanding record of 9 wins and 72 losses! Most known as the first African American head football coach at a predominantly white college.

Don Hutson, though, he's a time traveler. A modern day WR transported back to the 1930's.
Oh Hutson? Who gives a shit about some dude who played football during World War II.

I am pretty sure Hines Ward was better than him and Jerry Rice combined.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh Hutson? Who gives a shit about some dude who played football during World War II.

I am pretty sure Hines Ward was better than him and Jerry Rice combined.

Well duh, he could throw the football. I thought you B1G 10 guys were s'posed to be Smart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_by_number_of_professional_sports_championships

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/06/06/top-10-cities-with-the-most-sports-championships

Suck my dick biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch. Just because your bro friends pretend the world didn't exist before your dad forgot to use a condom doesn't mean that shit didn't happen.

Nope. Superbowls or bust. Case closed. Don't care how you and your hick friends refer to thrm on a Wikipedia page!

bionic77

Well duh, he could throw the football. I thought you B1G 10 guys were s'posed to be Smart?
I don't know about smart, but I dub Hines Ward the greatest (or maybe 2nd greatest behind Randy Moss who uses the Joe Flacco ranking system) because he was clutch, physical (they changed the rules because of him) and likely gave Ed Reed brain damage. Outside of the football field he also brought civilization to South Korea.

I can't think of another wide receiver who can match those accomplishments.

What's a good free email provider? I have a yahoo and gmail account already, but their my name, and I need to voice a complaint against my organization and prefer if it couldn't be traced back to me.

bionic77

What's a good free email provider? I have a yahoo and gmail account already, but their my name, and I need to voice a complaint against my organization and prefer if it couldn't be traced back to me.
Stop being like Ray Lewis.

Be a fucking man and go right up to your supervisor, CEO or whoever and tell them to their face what your problem is and that Ray Lewis is a murdering cheater.

BigAT

Fuck yea, the entourage movie is a go. Love you Warner bros.
Of course you're an Entourage fan, of course you are.

Just make a new GMail account with random characters? It takes like two seconds.

Just make a new GMail account with random characters? It takes like two seconds.

Set up a 2nd Gmail account

Smart, thanks.

By the way, the complaint is about our bathrooms at work. There are four public bathrooms, with only one stall and one urinal each. All of a sudden, they've replaced all the stall doors with curtains. This is a medical facility, that's just wrong. People barely knock on a closed stall door without trying the handle first; curtains are a terrible idea. Agree?

eznark

Banned
Smart, thanks.

By the way, the complaint is about our bathrooms at work. There are four public bathrooms, with only one stall and one urinal each. All of a sudden, they've replaced all the stall doors with curtains. This is a medical facility, that's just wrong. People barely knock on a closed stall door without trying the handle first; curtains are a terrible idea. Agree?

Why did they do that? And why is that something you feel you can't complain about in person?

Three of the Packers early championships are bullshit because they didn't even play a championship game back then. They just handed a trophy to the team with the best record at the end of crazy regular seasons where not all teams played the same amount of games. If you're going to count them, then they should only count starting in '33 when they finally got divisions and at least played a title game at the end of the season. And even some of those are dubious because you had teams that didn't even have enough money to finish whole seasons.

Wrayfield

Smart, thanks.

You could always post pics of your curtains... :O

Why did they do that? And why is that something you feel you can't complain about in person?

Probably ADA requirements, but they could have spent a little more and move the wall, or bought new doors. And they take patient complaints very seriously; employee complaints, not so much.

Three of the Packers early championships are bullshit because they didn't even play a championship game back then. They just handed a trophy to the team with the best record at the end of crazy regular seasons where not all teams played the same amount of games. If you're going to count them, then they should only count starting in '33 when they finally got divisions and at least played a title game at the end of the season. And even some of those are dubious because you had teams that didn't even have enough money to finish whole seasons.

60's forward are legit

No no! It's the same as a Super Bowl! What don't you see about that!

eznark

Banned

Things change and leagues evolve, that doesn't erase the history. I feel sorry for you guys. I guess only erudite baseball fans can properly look at sports through their most important lens, history.

Things change and leagues evolve, that doesn't erase the history. I feel sorry for you guys. I guess only erudite baseball fans can properly look at sports through their most important lens, history.

Does MLB even really acknowledge those attempts at a "world series" before 1903?

actual championships or the fake ones that took place before the superbowl? the lions have 4 and the eagles have 3. this just sounds wrong and is wrong. say the words out loud. "The detroit lions are 4 time NFL champions". You literally can't say it out loud or type it and have it look correct. Its like me saying 2 + 2 = 5. it's not correct. these dont count
The Greatest Game Ever Played (1958 NFL Championship Game) most certainly counts.

Pre-Super Bowl NFL Championships definitely count. Back when Detroit was winning NFL titles, the 49ers were the Lions of the NFL, until the arrival of Walsh and Montana. Get some historical perspective. Franchises can change.

Also, Super Bowls before the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 weren't NFL Championships. So if you want to bag on a team, it's the Jets, who have actually never won an NFL Championship.

eznark

Banned
Does MLB even really acknowledge those attempts at a "world series" before 1903?

They acknowledge the teams but since there was no professional league and no continuous structured schedule (it was mostly just barnstorming), they don't really count any championships won then. The equivalent of MLB wasn't formed until 1902.

Dragon

Banned
Don't you mean when you started watching in 2001?

Yeah you're right. I started watching in the fourth quarter in 2001. Damn that Ricky Proehl. Definitely doesn't like the Pats in the Super Bowl!

Edit: As fans the whole argument about whether or not championships matter really comes down to one thing. Whether or not your team has one. If they do, you'll plead your case,if they don't you won't give a shit.

Also, Super Bowls before the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 weren't NFL Championships. So if you want to bag on a team, it's the Jets, who have actually never won an NFL Championship.

They were AFL Champs and AFL-NFL Champs. And speaking of Unitas, he was on the team that gave the Jets their only claim to fame, so he should get points deducted just for that!

They acknowledge the teams but since there was no professional league and no continuous structured schedule (it was mostly just barnstorming), they don't really count any championships won then. The equivalent of MLB wasn't formed until 1902.

Sounds a lot like pro football of the 20s and 30s!

The Greatest Game Ever Played (1958 NFL Championship Game) most certainly counts.

Pre-Super Bowl NFL Championships definitely count. Back when Detroit was winning NFL titles, the 49ers were the Lions of the NFL, until the arrival of Walsh and Montana. Get some historical perspective. Franchises can change.

Pre SuperBowl doesn't count. The reason is all the best talent wasn't in one league. So who gives a shit if you won a championship when some of the best football players aren't in your league? It's not as impressive without being the best in the world.

eznark

Banned
Pre SuperBowl doesn't count. The reason is all the best talent wasn't in one league. So who gives a shit if you won a championship when some of the best football players aren't in your league? It's not as impressive without being the best in the world.

So then the Super Bowls from 1982-1987 don't count?

So that means several of the Super Bowls of the 1980s don't count? Some of the best pro football players of that time were in the USFL.

In that case all the World Series' before 1945 were meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom