• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point pretty much every single championship would need some qualifying symbol considering expansions, rule changes, inter-league competitions, strikes, lockouts, performance testing, etc.

The winner of this super bowl will be the first super bowl champion of the read option era. All others before were meaningless.

But this SB is tainted by deer antlers so it gets a big *.

JCizzle

Packers fans get more emotional over defending fraud championships than Aaron does when someone calls him short. Super Bowls or nothing!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wow...

Well maybe to change subjects:

What is everyone's plans for the Super Bowl?

I'm going by my buddy's place as per usual. He has a nice big screen TV and everyone brings some food and we have a nice potluck. I usually bring some jerk chicken.

The girlfriends and wives in the group are pretty awesome too they don't ask many "dumb" questions as the games go on and just let us enjoy ourselves.

Oh and we'll also bring a ton of change (toonies/loonies) and gamble as the game goes on. Gambling can be pretty much on anything:

"Pass or run next play?"
"completed pass or interception?"
"How many shots of Kim Kardashian will there be?"

Just to name a few.

Packers fans get more emotional over defending fraud championships than Aaron does when someone calls him short. Super Bowls or nothing!

Hey! The canton bulldogs back to back championships of 1922/1923 are exactly the same as the 49ers back to back in 88/89! And if you don't see that they are the same then I just feel sorry for you

The winner of this super bowl will be the first super bowl champion of the read option era. All others before were meaningless.

That's not the argument, all the best players want to play for the NFL. No1 is questioning that. You're other championships don't qualify you as world champions, but Super Bowls do. Look at it that way.

eznark

Banned
Are you MensAsses?
I just sent a request to eznark, so hopefully that's you.

Only 5 minutes in, but this seems more my style compared to Torchlight.

I kind of hated it but I was playing alone. Pretty sure it's a game that demands playing with friends. We should get a group together and play this weekend. I think I am up to level 5 or some such.

bionic77

The logical part of my mind is telling me that this will be a Niners blowout. Not because of distraction or some other shit but because the Ravens only advantage is PI and their running back. Unless Flacco hits 3 deep passes, gets bailed out by the refs or Kap has the biggest choke job in recent SB history I can't see the Ravens winning.

That said I am terrified that Lewis is going out a champion due to the generosity of the Niners.

Fox318

The logical part of my mind is telling me that this will be a Niners blowout. Not because of distraction or some other shit but because the Ravens only advantage is PI and their running back. Unless Flacco hits 3 deep passes, gets bailed out by the refs or Kap has the biggest choke job in recent SB history I can't see the Ravens winning.

That said I am terrified that Lewis is going out a champion due to the generosity of the Niners.

We all know who to root for.

obKBUp5.jpg

So you are legitimately saying the canton bulldogs should be mentioned alongside teams who have won 2 superbowls? Providence steamrollers have a title too! Hilarious

I dont see the point in discounting championships. For all we know the Bulldogs and steamrollers were really good teams compared to the league they played in. The idea that the NFL changing the name of the trophy somehow makes it more meaningful seems really silly to me.

Spinluck

John should announce his retirement, so Jim could throw the game for him...

Lol, that crazy ass muthafucka wouldn't throw shit.

eznark

Banned
So you are legitimately saying the canton bulldogs should be mentioned alongside teams who have won 2 superbowls? Providence steamrollers have a title too! Hilarious

If all we are doing is counting numbers? Yeah. If we are comparing actual accomplishments? Obviously not. Meatheaded football fans are apparently too unintelligent to discuss the relative merits of these factual events so they pretend they didn't happen. That's discouraging. Thankfully baseball is starting soon where we can talk raw numbers and their implications.

For instance, dead ball records happened. High mound records happened. However, the conversation is nuanced when comparing them to records at the turn of the century or records during the steroid era. Your brain can't handle that FMT, I get it. It's ok.

I dont see the point in discounting championships. For all we know the Bulldogs and steamrollers were really good teams compared to the league they played in. The idea that the NFL changing the name of the trophy somehow makes it more meaningful seems really silly to me.

Lol alright. If we can win on Sunday and then win it again next year we are on the same level as the canton bulldogs. We should be so lucky.

Q: who does this back to back Super Bowl champion 49er team remind you of?

A: well John I'd have to say the 1922/1923 canton bulldogs who, as everyone knows, won back to back championships.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This thread is total non-sense right now.

All the NFL threads are like this. The same 6-10 people BSing and hardly ever mention football.

This thread is about the SB and I bet less than 10% of the posts mention the Raven or Niners.

jakncoke

Banned
All the NFL threads are like this. The same 6-10 people BSing and hardly ever mention football.

This thread is about the SB and I bet less than 10% of the posts mention the Raven or Niners.

I dont know you, nor ever seen you post here. But im a thread veteran and top 10 poster each thread most times than not and this isnt even close to how we are.

Lol alright. If we can win on Sunday and then win it again next year we are on the same level as the canton bulldogs. We should be so lucky.

Q: who does this back to back Super Bowl champion 49er team remind you of?

A: well John I'd have to say the 1922/1923 canton bulldogs who, as everyone knows, won back to back championships.

Are you really this upset that the Packers have more championships? No one is making a 1-1 comparison between teams from the 20's and 30's to teams today since the game has changed so much. Just because you cant directly compare the teams doesnt mean we have to throw out everything that ever happened before our favorite team won anything. History actually did happen and it is interesting to look back at.

Slo

So start talking about the Super Bowl already. Contribute. Stop lurking and participate. It's not our job to entertain you.

Are you really this upset that the Packers have more championships? No one is making a 1-1 comparison between teams from the 20's and 30's to teams today since the game has changed so much. Just because you cant directly compare the teams doesnt mean we have to throw out everything that ever happened before our favorite team won anything. History actually did happen and it is interesting to look back at.

Agreed, they happened. But superbowls and those championships aren't the same

jakncoke

Banned
woah this interesting the only reason the Eagles exist today is because Frankford Yellowjackets stadium caught fire that eventually led to the team because cancelled which led to the NFL scrambling to find someone to have a Philly team.

woah this interesting the only reason the Eagles exist today is because Frankford Yellowjackets stadium caught fire that eventually led to the team because cancelled which led to the NFL scrambling to find someone to have a Philly team.

All hail fire the greatest of the elements!

Don't fucking text me if I'm busy. Tell me what the fuck you want. "Can you talk?" "Can you meet me in two hours at this place?"

Fucking yeah I'm busy ignoring your stupid ass text.

mr2xxx

Banned

Thats why we have the more advanced football thread, where people talk about football....... Thats debatable i guess.

LevelNth

Banned
Seriously, discussing championships versus Super Bowls? Who gives a shit.

The Super Bowls are numbered and represent the championship game for the league since its (the SB's) inception, hence why it's the new starting point and all references refer to it as thus.

No one is saying the other championships didn't happen, they're just saying no one gives a shit.

A lot of the best players in the world played for the AFL at the time. The AFL didn't compete with the NFL.

That is fine but I feel like if you are seriously going with championships only count if they happen against the best possible players, then none will ever count. The NBA is so much bigger now then it was in the 60's and it takes a lot of the top talent away. You can only play against who is in your league and the teams that have won championships had to be the best in their respective season. It seems really weird to me to say that the Packers only have 4 championships, you are basically denying a huge part of the NFL's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom