• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Online, I sometimes feel like an adult conversing with children who think nothing existed or mattered before they were born. Not just on this topic.

Dragon

Banned
Online, I sometimes feel like an adult conversing with children who think nothing existed or mattered before they were born. Not just on this topic.

There's a Metallica song about this. It's called Nothing Else Matters.

Certainly no NHL championship ever since European/Soviet leagues have fantastic talent.

The NHL was weird because for a while they had the expansion teams in one division and the originals in another.

Me to. I never heard the "only championships with the right name count" argument before coming here. Its a real trip to see people say it and actually mean it.

Lol @ all the fans of these loser franchises trying to pawn off pre Super Bowl championships.

Eagles and lions are incredible franchises! And how about those frankford yellow jackets and Akron pros! Champions in our hearts forever!

Dragon

Banned
Me to. I never heard the "only championships with the right name count" argument before coming here. Its a real trip to see people say it and actually mean it.

http://bit.ly/14rZ6gT

8GPZiQZ.png

The NFL formed in the early 1920's. They had 11 teams and a schedule. It was nothing like pre-1902 professional baseball.

Check the history of the league in the 20s, several times they had more than 11 teams and teams were constantly folding or new ones forming until the mid 30s. In '25 and '26 they had more than 20 teams and they didn't have a set schedule. Some teams played more than once a week, some went weeks between playing games. All teams were responsible for getting to and from games, which is why not all teams played the same amount of games and some teams were only able to play a couple and folded up mid season because they didn't have money to cover expenses.

eznark

Banned
Check the history of the league in the 20s, several times they had more than 11 teams and teams were constantly folding or new ones forming until the mid 30s. In '25 and '26 they had more than 20 teams and they didn't have a set schedule. Some teams played more than once a week, some went weeks between playing games. All teams were responsible for getting to and from games, which is why not all teams played the same amount of games and some teams were only able to play a couple and folded up mid season because they didn't have money to cover expenses.

Yeah, but they had a league and schedules. I'm well aware of the history, the financial situation is the reason the Packers are structured the way they are. The difference is that professional baseball was more like the NCAA (being extremely generous) if none of the conferences ever played each other. There were dozens of different leagues with teams that paid players. Those sewed the seeds for the robust farm systems that we have now. Saying the two operated similarly is frankly absurd. The NFL teams learned from the 1800's era baseball failures and quickly got as rigid as they could. Yeah there was turmoil but there was a single recognized entity organizing and operating professional football.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't understand why anyone would care about sports if history doesn't matter.

Apparently to half of NFL GAF, players like Jim Brown don't matter. Seriously?

Edit: also most of Johnny Unitas's career!

I don't understand why anyone would care about sports if history doesn't matter.

None of us care about Jim Brown. Let's be honest. Dude retired 20 years before most of us were even born.

Let's not conflate acknowledging and caring.

eznark

Banned
None of us care about Jim Brown. Let's be honest. Dude retired 20 years before most of us were even born.

Let's not conflate acknowledging and caring.

Most of the things I am most passionately interested in happened before I was born. Don't project your bizarre myopic view of history on the rest of us, simpleton.

Godslay

Banned
This argument again? Your wife still banged the entire football team back in the day. Just because it didn't happen when you where dating doesn't mean that it didn't happen. You can't just move the goal post, and say it didn't count. It's still counts!

Saying the Super Bowl means more than championships isn't saying history doesn't matter. They are just different. I never have and never will group them together. Suck it down losers!

Slo

Edit: also most of Johnny Unitas's career!

Jim Brown could truck stick the hell out of a bunch of 210 lb part time milk men and piano movers, I'll give you that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
After doing some research, Steelers fans are just salty because they passed on Johnny Unitas. If they had kept him and won a few more titles, they'd be singing a different tune.

Most of the things I am most passionately interested in happened before I was born. Don't project your bizarre myopic view of history on the rest of us, simpleton.

Klan ain't coming back into fashion man, get over it.

I guess Jesus doesn't really count.

Whole different argument bro.

After doing some research, Steelers fans are just salty because they passed on Johnny Unitas. If they had kept him and won a few more titles, they'd be singing a different tune.

Steelers did Unitas a favor by dropping him.

The only thing I hate about the pre Lombardi championships is that any time someone on tv talks about the Packers they seem to quote the number of championships that they have won. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ESPN.

Novid

Banned
damn son. can yall get it correct? the nfl "title" became the NFC Chip in 70. Same with the AFC. its two diffrent eras. but they made the trophies into sybians now so...

They dumped Unitas and Len Dawson and passed on Marino!

Yeah, but they had a league and schedules. I'm well aware of the history, the financial situation is the reason the Packers are structured the way they are. The difference is that professional baseball was more like the NCAA (being extremely generous) if none of the conferences ever played each other. There were dozens of different leagues with teams that paid players. Those sewed the seeds for the robust farm systems that we have now. Saying the two operated similarly is frankly absurd. The NFL teams learned from the 1800's era baseball failures and quickly got as rigid as they could. Yeah there was turmoil but there was a single recognized entity organizing and operating professional football.

Never said they operated the same, was just pointing to the somewhat similarities in the haphazard style of the regular season. And the scheduling was all over the map in the 20s which is why stuff like the dispute over the '25 title happened. They were playing against college teams or playing teams without full rosters and all kinds of other junk. They didn't get their act together until '33 when they formed divisions and created a championship game. And schedules didn't really solidify until '46 or '47 to make sure they were playing relatively equal amounts of home and away and division games.

Greg

Decided to try this Path of Exile game out. Game loads up and the first thing I see is a guy called 'MensAsses' talking. This is going to be a real winner.

eznark

Banned
I'm fine with this.

Also fine with this. Not meaningless though, just different. They get some kind of asterisk.

At this point pretty much every single championship would need some qualifying symbol considering expansions, rule changes, inter-league competitions, strikes, lockouts, performance testing, etc.

The winner of this super bowl will be the first super bowl champion of the read option era. All others before were meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom