• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fine but I feel like if you are seriously going with championships only count if they happen against the best possible players, then none will ever count. The NBA is so much bigger now then it was in the 60's and it takes a lot of the top talent away. You can only play against who is in your league and the teams that have won championships had to be the best in their respective season. It seems really weird to me to say that the Packers only have 4 championships, you are basically denying a huge part of the NFL's history.

They're more like big time conference championships. Why don't the Bills get credit for being 1965 Champions? They won their league in 1965 too, a league with some of the best talent in the world. Can't say there was more than 1 best team in 1966 though.

They're more like big time conference championships. Why don't the Bills get credit for being 1965 Champions? They won their league in 1965 too, a league with some of the best talent in the world. Can't say there was more than 1 best team in 1966 though.

Dont AFL teams celebrate those championships? I thought that the Chiefs did something recently for the anniversary of one of their AFL championships. I think the average fan doesnt pay as much attention to them due to the NFL being considered the more premier league.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's crazy to discount those championships. College has an infinitely inferior system and people don't seriously take away those titles.

This is like saying only BCS titles count.

It's crazy to discount those championships. College has an infinitely inferior system and people don't seriously take away those titles.

This is like saying only BCS titles count.

I was actually going to predict how people will discredit those BCS titles in a couple generations after having an actual postseason. College atm is all about going undefeated, after that first loss all you have is your conference to win usually. I deleted because of how bad of an idea it is to compare the NFL and NCAA.

I was actually going to predict how people will discredit those BCS titles in a couple generations after having an actual postseason.

I totallt agree with you there. The fact that the NCAA just picked the teams that they wanted to play in those games, makes them way more suspect then any other championships in any other sports.

jakncoke

Banned
Lewis said Wednesday at a press conference at the Ravens' team hotel. "I tell (teammates) all the time: 'Don't let people from the outside ever try to disturb what's inside.' That's the trick of the devil. The trick of the devil is to kill, steal and destroy. That's what he comes to do. He comes to distract you from everything you're trying to do."

Trick of the Devil hahahah

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Packers, Rodgers watching Flacco contract talks

Don’t think it went unnoticed among the Green Bay Packers’ hierarchy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers that Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is looking for a Drew Brees-type contract.

It’s yet another reminder that the Packers probably are better off moving sooner rather than later on renegotiating Rodgers’ contract.

Flacco has plenty of leverage with the Ravens because the team didn’t extend his contract last offseason and he’ll be an unrestricted free agent this March, though if it gets that far the Ravens presumably will designate him their franchise player. On Monday, ESPN’s John Clayton reported Flacco will be looking for a deal similar to Brees’ five-year, $100 million contract that includes $40 million in guaranteed money signed last July.

But for all Flacco, 28, has done in helping the Ravens get to the Super Bowl, he’s not among the premier quarterbacks in the league.

Passer rating isn’t the be-all and end-all, but it’s one of several barometers to measure quarterbacks, and Flacco’s 87.7 rating this season ranked No. 12 in the NFL and was well below Rodgers (108.0) and Brees (96.3). Also, over the last three years combined, Flacco’s 87.2 rating is No. 14 among quarterbacks with at least 30 starts. Rodgers is first (110.7) and Brees is third (99.3).

Flacco’s strongest argument is his won-loss record, where since he became a starter in ’08 he’s 54-26 in the regular season, which is just ahead of Rodgers (52-26) and Brees (52-27). That and the leverage he has an unrestricted free agent, even with the possibility of getting the franchise tag, mean he might have a shot at a deal at least in Brees’ ballpark.

The new franchise-tag rules mean that if a player is tagged in back-to-back years, he in the second season makes 120 percent of the previous year, and if he’s franchised a third straight year, he makes 144 percent. Last year the tag for quarterbacks was relatively cheap at $14.4 million, but it will go up at least a little this year. Also, teams much prefer signing their quarterbacks long term than having them unhappy playing for the tag, and at 28 years old Flacco is in his prime.

Rodgers’ contract doesn’t run out until after the 2014 season, but he’s horribly underpaid at an average of $9.3 million a year, so the Packers appear more likely to address his contract this year. With a deal for Flacco possibly coming up, that could be incentive for the Packers to do a new contract with Rodgers first, because if Flacco gets anything like Brees money, Rodgers’ price only skyrockets.

wait, what?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21624011/vitt-williams-promised-to-reward-players-for-injuring-opposing-coaches

Vitt: Williams promised to reward players for injuring opposing coaches
By Ryan Wilson | Blogger
January 30, 2013 2:20 pm ET

NEW ORLEANS -- The bounty scandal wrecked the Saints season. After averaging 12 wins a season from 2009-11, New Orleans stumbled to 7-9 in 2012. Coach Sean Payton was suspended for the year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, and assistant head coach Joe Vitt missed six games before returning to a team that was 2-4.

Vitt has been outspoken about bountygate from the beginning including and up to his December testimony before an appeals hearing headed by former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. The Times-Picayune obtained a copy of that testimony, and in it Vitt was blunt about Williams' role in the scandal.

Via the Picayune's Mike Triplett, Vitt alleged that Williams once promised to reward players if they knocked down or took out assistant coaches on the other team on plays near the sideline.

Vitt told Tagliabue that he made sure players understood that such behavior was unacceptable, and added that everyone understood that Williams' "schtick" and "false bravado" were such exaggerations of reality that players rarely took him seriously.

"If our players went out and performed what came out of Gregg Williams' mouth, and it went from his lips to their ears, and then it went to the performance, we would have people in jail right now ma'am," Vitt told NFL attorney Mary Jo White at the time. "We would have people in jail right now."

Williams, meanwhile, is looking to get back into the NFL, and there have been reports in recent days that the Titans are considering hiring him.

So why would Tennessee want to get involved with coach with so much baggage? For the same reasons teams take fliers on high-risk, high-reward players. Just look at the Saints' 2012 defense for proof.

Dragon

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jan/30/nfl-salaries-team-position

These are pretty interesting charts, it lists positionally where a given team has its salary spent. For instance the Patriots:

QxcqzUt.png

you make me sick. when the steelers/cards played, i rooted for the steelers even though i knew it would mean you were 1 up on us in the superbowl department. i did this because a) 6-4 or whatever you are is still worse than 5-0 and b) i will NEVER root for a divisional opponent in the superbowl.

you are just scared of what will happen when we win. it's not fair is it? niners undefeated in superbowls, have a young dominant team and a great coaching staff. steelers are an irrelevant franchise with a bunch of old guys, no future and a puppet coaching staff who will probably be gone in another year or so. i'm sorry bionic.... i do feel bad for you but such is life in the nfl :(

Aha! Proof! Lying scumbag! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the Niners.

JABEE

Things change and leagues evolve, that doesn't erase the history. I feel sorry for you guys. I guess only erudite baseball fans can properly look at sports through their most important lens, history.

I agree ez. I'm proud of my team's rich winning tradition. Back-to-back championships in 1948-49. The Bednarik Eagles in 1960 beating Lombardi's Packers the day after Christmas.

No one has the right to diminish my cultural heritage.

Striker

Heh, nearly 70 million on defense for the Giants. We're ranked 24th in offensive spending.

Production doesn't line up with the money.
Defense: $68.8m

Yet they're consistently average, or sometimes downright awful (2009, most of 2011). :(

They have the LB's at $14.6 and that's basically all of Kiwanuka and Boley, one who is on his way out, and one who is basically a hybrid DL/LB and will be on the DL next year.

Defense: $68.8m

Yet they're consistently average, or sometimes downright awful (2009, most of 2011). :(

They have the LB's at $14.6 and that's basically all of Kiwanuka and Boley, one who is on his way out, and one who is basically a hybrid DL/LB and will be on the DL next year.
...and a bulk of the CB money tied to one guy who's basically done. It's why I argued Web is either taking a massive pay cut to stay with the team or he's outright gone and then resigned at for more reasonable money (unless some other team decides to swoop in and pay him more). If Corey Webster is on the roster at 9.4 million, my mind will be blown.

xnipx

FMT why is ur boy Kap such a dick to his birth mother?? Shouldn't he be happy she gave him up for adoption to a good family rather than make him struggle?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So Chris Brown's latest article is on the Ravens offense.

Previously, he's written about the the Oregon offense, the Redskins offense, Manti Te'o in ND's defense, the Broncos offense, and the Patriots offense. All those teams ended up losing right after those articles. Will the curse continue?

squicken

But im not?

Didn't that work into the Rams favor though? I know i'd never want to see Steelers give Garcon a contract like that.

Rams are using cash and carry for salaries. Very little pro-rating of bonuses. If he got a big year one salary and they didn't pro-rate much of his bonus, then you can live with a swing and a miss. If you are running out Brandon Gibson as the #1 WR for most of the past three years, you overpay

FMT why is ur boy Kap such a dick to his birth mother?? Shouldn't he be happy she gave him up for adoption to a good family rather than make him struggle?

It's not about her. I'm adopted too and ran into the same issue as him. It's not disrespect but how will the parents that raised you feel? They can say oh it's fine but there is kind of a feeling of betrayal there. The parents who raised you are your parents and that's that. Very difficult pickle to be in for kap!

squicken

Love this stuff. Also, how the fuck do they Bucs pay 30 million to Guards alone...

They are also cash and carry. The Bucs paid their big FAs in giant year one salaries and roster bonuses. Doing that makes it easier to cut players in later years w/o worrying over "dead money" or cap hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom