• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

It may be sour grapes, but props to Simmons for calling out the roider guys. It needs to be part of the discussion nationally. "Wow, what a great play by so and so!"

"Yeah, but how come he just started doing that at age 30?" Derek Jeter needs to be questioned every day about his career, not just the bubble guys. They asked their union to shield them, that's the cost

If that went on more with national media, sports would clean up. I know some people want all PEDs legal, but I am not one. FIFA has the best system for that, and it's the one all sports should use. As for what is a PED, if it makes you better able to inflict brain trauma on a fellow player, then it is suspicious

It may be sour grapes, but props to Simmons for calling out the roider guys. It needs to be part of the discussion nationally. "Wow, what a great play by so and so!"

"Yeah, but how come he just started doing that at age 30?" Derek Jeter needs to be questioned every day about his career, not just the bubble guys. They asked their union to shield them, that's the cost

If that went on more with national media, sports would clean up. I know some people want all PEDs legal, but I am not one. FIFA has the best system for that, and it's the one all sports should use. As for what is a PED, if it makes you better able to inflict brain trauma on a fellow player, then it is suspicious

That will never happen with the media because there is a fraternity that wants to protect these guys. Look at how the entire steroid era in baseball was put at the feet of Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Palmiero, and McGwire.

Baseball is overrun with roids. The NFL, and surely Basketball and hockey too. Yet no one ever decides to go investigating until someone slips up.

eznark

Banned

Was he pretty hard on Roidney Harrison in this article?

squicken

Was he pretty hard on Roidney Harrison in this article?

No, and he wasn't hard on Brady, either. It's not flawless, but he's the biggest name in sports journalism, for better or worse, and he is going to now openly speculate on guys and steroids. And more importantly, ESPN is going to let him, Jalen Rose and hopefully others as well

Nice map I found on where the teams are the most popular

original.jpg

Cowboys country is annexing left & right

eznark

Banned
No, and he wasn't hard on Brady, either. It's not flawless, but he's the biggest name in sports journalism, for better or worse, and he is going to now openly speculate on guys and steroids. And more importantly, ESPN is going to let him, Jalen Rose and hopefully others as well

How many Boston guys did he go after? I tried reading it and didnt make it even a paragraph. He's just such an awful writer.

jakncoke

Banned
For a second I was like how cool would it be to know absolute numbers of fans per franchise. Then I remembered how many skewed it would be because all the filthy casuals.

squicken

How many Boston guys did he go after? I tried reading it and didnt make it even a paragraph. He's just such an awful writer.

It's not perfect, but it's a start. As long as he opens the door, the Boston guys will get it. I'm sure he'll eventually address Garnett (now that the window is closed)

mr2xxx

Banned

What does Fifa do?

eznark

Banned
It's not perfect, but it's a start. As long as he opens the door, the Boston guys will get it. I'm sure he'll eventually address Garnett (now that the window is closed)

A start to what? The last ten years have been nothing but steroid speculation. You want more of it? Wonderful.

jakncoke

Banned

You want a list of who exactly using or used? Who gives a fuck, the list on non users can probably be counted on my hand.

squicken

What does Fifa do?

You aren't testing just once and having a pass/fail. Each player has a passport, and his peaks and valleys over multiple tests are what trigger the violations. Also, samples are kept. So stuff that isn't detectable now, but is later, can be checked on old samples to see who was beating the tests in the past.

I care about this. Athletics are supposed to be about human physical achievement. We're supposed to be watching in awe at the creations of God or Darwin or whatever, not at who has the best chemists

jakncoke

Banned
You aren't testing just once and having a pass/fail. Each player has a passport, and his peaks and valleys over multiple tests are what trigger the violations. Also, samples are kept. So stuff that isn't detectable now, but is later, can be checked on old samples to see who was beating the tests in the past.

I care about this. Athletics are supposed to be about human physical achievement. We're supposed to be watching in awe at the creations of God or Darwin or whatever, not at who has the best chemists

Better take up sewing tourneys then. Good luck ever having clean sports. There always been something that athletes used. Maybe in the early days they completely clean.. maybe. Also this shit starts early as fuck, my high school team wasnt good yet half were on some sort performance enhancers and I bet that the norm for any hs not in some bumblefuck town and even more so in teams that well known. the taint of the sports start in HS, what difference does it make if they been cheating all the way up to the NFL then get clean? Still chemists bodies

squicken

Better take up sewing tourneys then. Good luck ever having clean sports. There always been something that athletes used. Maybe in the early days they completely clean.. maybe

Of course, but that doesn't mean you don't try. The key is testing old samples. Maybe a guy gets away with it for a year or two, but eventually he gets caught.

I think injuries will go down. Players will be smaller and slower. Muscles won't be flying off ligaments.

HylianTom

Banned
Nice map I found on where the teams are the most popular

original.jpg

Cowboys country is annexing left & right

There needs to be a teeny, tiny fleur-de-lis dot right in the center of Austin, TX.

shoalcreeksaloon1.jpg

I loved the fact that there was a bar for Saints fans in the middle of Texas. Impressive that it was packed all the time, too. Decent crowds even before the Brees-Payton years. So many good and bad memories from 2001-2011. Being able to bring my dog with me onto the patio for game day was awesome, too.

Human achievement with the aid of narcotics is still human achievement.

Obligatory SNL sketch, with the great Phil Hartman: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7msb2_saturday-night-live-weekend-update_fun

The leagues are the biggest hypocrites of all when it comes to steroid use. They say nothing when the spotlight and attention is focused on them but then shun the offender when their drug use comes to light.

Steroids are not going anywhere. In order for there to be a generational change the associated leagues will have to pull down the programs from the rafters ans start fresh. Never going to happen. It's easier to do it this way; assail one or two guys a year.

The whole Lance Armstrong thing pisses me right off. Yes he did roids, yes he lied about them, but roid use is rampant in the Tour. Hell, cheating and the Tour de France are like pigs and shit - cheating by any means necessary, insofar as having fans push them along or using wires to have the pace car pull them on a thin wire and other wacky race type cheating. Tour was created in 1903, first instance of cheating was in 1904.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No one has made me angrier during the steroid era than the media. Everyone knew ped's were rampant in baseball. Except the writers! They were clueless when Lenny Dykstra and Darren Daulton suddenly looked like miniature hulks. And then they come out and rail against these users because they were duped. Bob Costas can eat all of gata's bags of dicks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I loved the fact that there was a bar for Saints fans in the middle of Texas.

Pretty sure you can find a bar for most any of the major fanbases in Texas what with all the transplants.

An opportunity came up for the wife and I to move to either Minneapolis or Boston in 6 months to a year and I can't wait. Yes I disliked Texas that much. Hopefully it'll be Minnesota because I'm a native of the upper Midwest and Boston wasn't really to my liking either (weather alone makes it 100x better than Texas though!)

Pretty sure you can find a bar for most any of the major fanbases in Texas what with all the transplants.

An opportunity came up for the wife and I to move to either Minneapolis or Boston in 6 months to a year and I can't wait. Yes I disliked Texas that much. Hopefully it'll be Minnesota because I'm a native of the upper Midwest and Boston wasn't really to my liking either (weather alone makes it 100x better than Texas though!)

You like 2 degree weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom