• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

red13th

pV99C.Em.138.jpeg

Just call him Swag Newton

"Have you accepted Tim Tebow as your sunday savior?"

BigAT

History has nullified the argument, it has not proven anyone right. There is no way to know what would have happened if he had stayed with the Eagles. He has been total garbage with the Cards, but that is a terrible organization and there is no real way to know with 100% certainty how things would have turned out if the situation was reversed.

Wow, you're just digging yourself even deeper.

KaYotiX

Banned
Defensively the game definitely seem improved, or at least different. Better pass rush, secondary in zoneseems to be much more reactive to players entering their area

Then again, Im playing as Alex Smith.

Edit: Akers wins the game, bailing out Smith! Most realistic game EVER

Sounds great, im loving NCAA atm.(Badgers whoo!) If its anything like that ill be happy!!

He was never going to stay with the Eagles because they knew he sucked, that's the point. If they really thought he was starter potential, they would have not wasted the time to bring in Vick. They get massive credit for painting him as having tons of potential, talking him up and then ripping off the Cards.

They brought in Vick when Mcnabb was the starter, and before Kolb had even started a single game. They signed Vick because it was 0 risk and because Dungy/the league asked them to. Kolb was not a factor in that in any way. The followiung season the Eagles named Kolb the starter, and gave him all the 1st team reps in practice/training camp. The Eagles traded him after he got hurt and Vick had such an amazing year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
ez has a kid too

But this isn't about us. This is about your denial of your love of Kolb. The internet doesn't work that way. The internet never forgets.

Honestly how I felt when I realized I was doomed when I picked the Browns as my team. I can't just jump ship, I don't care what anyone says as soon as the new team shows some promise everyone would be ripping on me for being a bandwagoner. Whether people want to admit it or not.

But I am having fun seeing these Browns. The amount of PMs and messages I got from people a few seasons ago when they beat the Pats was amazing. As of now that is my SUPER BOWL!

They brought in Vick when Mcnabb was the starter, and before Kolb had even started a single game. They signed Vick because it was 0 risk and because Dungy/the league asked them to. Kolb was not a factor in that in any way. The followiung season the Eagles named Kolb the starter, and gave him all the 1st team reps in practice/training camp. The Eagles traded him after he got hurt and Vick had such an amazing year.

That's the company line, yes.

bionic77

Honestly how I felt when I realized I was doomed when I picked the Browns as my team. I can't just jump ship, I don't care what anyone says as soon as the new team shows some promise everyone would be ripping on me for being a bandwagoner. Whether people want to admit it or not.

But I am having fun seeing these Browns. The amount of PMs and messages I got from people a few seasons ago when they beat the Pats was amazing. As of now that is my SUPER BOWL!
You must have felt good when the weather and Cribbs combined forces to basically knock us out of the playoffs. Not often you can give the cities weather an assist in a win.

Also :lol @ yh. dude must work for the Eagles. Sounds like gaming age levels of denial.

squicken

Just so you know, I get what you are saying. It was a nuanced situation. But since you've been pegged as the Kolb guy, it will always be hyperbole. It's not like Whiz has shown any ability besides having Kurt Warner fall from the sky. Kolb isn't good enough to make it in any situation, which is similar to all but 5 or 6 guys. Maybe in Philly or SF he could have flourished. As it is he's pretty much broken. Plays scared. Skelton sucks too. At least their mistakes didn't cost $60m

firen

Defensively the game definitely seem improved, or at least different. Better pass rush, secondary in zoneseems to be much more reactive to players entering their area

Then again, Im playing as Alex Smith.

Edit: Akers wins the game, bailing out Smith! Most realistic game EVER

Pfft, you just can't handle the #1 QB in the demo.

History has nullified the argument, it has not proven anyone right. There is no way to know what would have happened if he had stayed with the Eagles. He has been total garbage with the Cards, but that is a terrible organization and there is no real way to know with 100% certainty how things would have turned out if the situation was reversed.

And there it is ladies!

Godslay

Banned
Is yankeehater blaming Kolb sucking on the Cardinal Organization? Lolololol

It's really no different than FMT's argument that Harbaugh turned around Alex Smith. Kolb certainly benefited from working with Reid. So much so that he looks like a completely different QB in Arizona. You can replace Harbaugh with Niners and Reid with Eagles and it would certainly hold true.

eznark

Banned
It's really no different than FMT's argument that Harbaugh turned around Alex Smith. Kolb certainly benefited from working with Reid. So much so that he looks like a completely different QB in Arizona. You can replace Harbaugh with Niners and Reid with Eagles and it would certainly hold true.

Oh great, now squicken needs an Eagles avatar.

effzee

I don't know about yankeehater but LMAO@ at the stupid idiots in Eagles fan-base who always clamored for the back up because almost everyone was always better than McNabb!

Kolb always sucked. The Eagles picked for no good reason in the 07 draft way too early (in the 2nd round). I still can't believe they pulled that off. Still pissed that they did that. McNabb coming off of two back to back season ending injuries, TO gone, 0 weapons at WR, and instead of improving the team for now they traded out of the first round and then selected Kolb for the "future". And hell if you are going to select him for that, select him the 4-5 round where he would be still available. But that is the great Eagles FO. They always know so much more than everyone else. Smartest men in the room.

As for the actual execution here is my theory and I always believed in this. McNabb contract was up. He played terrible in the wildcard game against the Cowboys in 09. They saw an opportunity to finally ship him out of town (which they lost out on in 08 when McNabb and the team made a miraculous run into the playoffs to the NFC Champ game). Couldn't get rid of him after that run but the writing was on the wall. After that miracle run they continued to tear the team down rather than improving it. They got rid of key veterans and replaced them with unknowns which for a team that was just knocked out of another championship game doesn't signal "going for it".

So in 09 when the D still stunk and McNabb shit the bed in the playoffs, they had their out. They never wanted to give him another big money contract and they already wasted a high pick and invested money into Kolb. So ready or not he had to start. Good or bad he had to take over. Over half the fan base had already magically concluded he was better than McNabb and Reid can apparently make everyone into a good QB.

So they trade McNabb and now Kolb is the man. He has all the weapons at his disposal minus a stellar OLINE. He has DJAX, Maclin, and McCoy. He has the genius that is Reid running the offense. 4 years to sit and learn. All we hear is how accurate he is and how unlike McNabb he always hits the guys in stride and every pass is a gift from the gods above.

Too bad he can't stay healthy and at the very first chance to lose his job, he does lose his job. To who? To a guy who just got out of prison, who even before going to prison wasn't a great QB, never put in the time, never cared to learn the position, and someone brand new to the system. Someone who was brought in only to repair his image, run the wild cat, and possibly turn into trade bait (they tried trading him after that first season but no one wanted him). Kolb was so terrible that he lost out to Vick. Now Vick has turned his life both on and off the field around and say what you will about his ability to play, at least he is trying now. To me this is his make or break year (hopefully along with Reid) but the fact that he won the job over Kolb is laughable. To me Kolb was never better than McNabb, never ready to take over, and not because he is a bad guy, doesn't try hard enough, or whatever else character defining trait you can think of. Its because he just wasn't good enough to begin with.

They could have kept McNabb for another 2-3 seasons, run the same offense that even in his last season was putting up tons of #s in the passing game, and had the same end result with a bad/terrible D. The real problem was the D.

But then they addressed that by replacing McDermott with OLINE coach Juan Castillo.

THIS TEAM :(

effzee

Is yankeehater blaming Kolb sucking on the Cardinal Organization? Lolololol

Well their FO is def a joke. Falling for that trade with the Eagles! But I won't fault them for his poor play. Didn't Kurt Warner play for the same team and take them to the SB?

squicken

Oh great, now squicken needs an Eagles avatar.

I kind of view Kolb like Matt Schaub. Put him in the right system and he can be good enough. If Schaub was in AZ everyone would be making fun of Talon and RBH for how shitty he looked. There's really only a handful of guys who can do it no matter where they are. And there's only a handful of teams that know how to develop QBs and/or put them in situations where they can't screw things up.

I wish it was a league where good not great QBs like Tarkenten, Bradshaw, Griese, and Simms could steer well built teams to SBs. But it's not anymore.

eznark

Banned
I thought that was you standard answer when someone complains about not having access to something?

Wasn't actually supposed to make a lot of sense.

I have HBO Go, it doesn't have Hard Knocks. Not even I have the financial means to force the NFL to allow HBO to make it's programming viewable on all devices.

Best tune in tonight folks.

THISGONBGUD.gif

Philbin: "Chad...uh...(looks away)...we...uh decided that we...needed...uh...(looks back at Chad)...we needed to...uh...part ways with you...uh (looks away again)...it's not you...it's...uh...us. But...uh we just uh...(looks back at Chad)...don't think you're a...you're a....good fit for this...uh...football team.

cashman said:
I'm pretty excited, should I pick up the games between 2 and 3?

Get Brotherhood. Revelations is pretty much a throwaway game (a good one, mind you, but still a throwaway game).

cashman said:
I'm pretty excited, should I pick up the games between 2 and 3?
Brotherhood, yes. Revelations is forgettable and some of the new stuff they added is fucking horrid (tower defense and those ridiculous first person levels).

Milchjon

I have HBO Go, it doesn't have Hard Knocks. Not even I have the financial means to force the NFL to allow HBO to make it's programming viewable on all devices.

But you have the financial means to get a normal subscription.
Actually, I thought HBO Go was only available to people who have HBO anyway? Why not just watch it on your TV?

You know what, I have no idea how HBO works. I wanted to make a stupid comment and it looks like I succeeded with the stupidity :jnc

Matthews should thank Kolb for helping Trick everyone into thinking he was good.
He was amazing in the beginning of 2010. But he's still been good since then. Itd be impossible to expect him to keep up the level he was playing at. Looking beyond the stat sheet shows he's still a good rusher though.

cashman

Banned
Brotherhood, yes. Revelations is forgettable and some of the new stuff they added is fucking horrid (tower defense and those ridiculous first person levels).

Thanks for the advice. If I can, I'll pick up both because I'm a sucker for the story, but Brotherhood is my first priority (and probably cheaper).

I don't have time, it's baseball season. If I am watching TV I am watching baseball. Only time I watch shows is when I am running.
I think it might be worth it to take a day off from this current season of Brewers Baseball™

Draxal said:
Giants are most likely not going to go back to Albany after bedgate this year (killing all our dts).
Marty B came through with his usual off the wall commentary in that regard:

"We’re big humans. Every bed is small. You can’t put a damn dinosaur in a twin-sized bed. Unless you’ve got California King, the bed’s going to be small to these guys. A normal-sized human jumps into a regular-sized bed, it fits perfectly. Large big humans jump into a regular-sized bed, the bed’s too small. So I don’t know – my back doesn’t hurt. My back feels great. I’ve got a great back.''

The black unicorn FTW.

Philbin: "Chad...uh...(looks away)...we...uh decided that we...needed...uh...(looks back at Chad)...we needed to...uh...part ways with you...uh (looks away again)...it's not you...it's...uh...us. But...uh we just uh...(looks back at Chad)...don't think you're a...you're a....good fit for this...uh...football team.

OMFG you nailed it. What ever the over is on awkward uhms is I would still take the over. I really hope we see that Philbin had no power over the move at all.

Milchjon

I've always wanted to know: What is it with (richer) Americans and their perfectly white teeth? Does everybody just get them bleached or are you all genetically superior?

Top Bottom