• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Man Luck looked great again, no doubt he is for real. I wish the Eagles had traded their whole team for him.

Rors I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. When is the draft for the auction league happening?

Good game. I missed the 4th quarter, but my observations from the first three:

McClendon is it. Great push, stays committed to his lanes and eats anything coming to him.

Ziggy not so much. how is a 350 pound guy so easily blocked by a tight end off the edge? Good pass rush skills but he has a hard time holding the POA.

Alameda Ta'amu looked like BJ Raji, but at least Raji is being blown off the line by first teamers. Dude needs a lot of work.

Dwyer was fantastic today. This line is starting to make runners look good...

...unless your name is Baron Batch. Caught in a tough place - too small to be a bruiser, to big to be a speedster. Batch gets 3 yards and was stopped every play.

We saw the downside of Rainey today. Goes down easy, especially when bigger guys get their hands on him. I highly doubt he didn't have a concussion there, that was a vicious hit.

Chris Carter is evolving at just the right time - I doubt we'll see Harrison healthy for the majority of the season, so it's good to know he can step in. great penetration. Gets caught overpursuing too much though.

Sean Spence. Again, great in space, not so much when rushing. I think the Steelers realize this as they were backing him off most of his time on the field. His height will be a liability against Tight Ends - he would have had an easy interception if he was 1-2 inches taller.

Decastro was solid again. Great blocking, good push to the second level. Some great pull blocking in the beginning of the game.

Ditto Colon. This is his natural position. I really think he'll be a bruiser at LG.

Adams looked better, but he's giving too much off the line. defenders make him kick out then rush inside and beat him easily.

Gilreath. Tomlin said he was looking for Gilreath to show him something, and I think he got that message loud and clear. Great game from him.

One thing I noticed is that when the starters went off Luck started carving us up immediately. I think part of it was him settling down but I also think it's because our depth is shot, especially down the middle. If we start getting major injuries to our defense it could be a LOOONG season.

Tony Scott committed suicide? :( Horrible.

So many enjoyable films. Hell, he even made a runaway train movie interesting.

In addition to what squicken posted, I love Beverly Hills Cop II and Crimson Tide.

squicken

I hated Adams coming out of college. Just seemed so plodding and soft. I like the idea of Ben throwing on rhythm instead of sandlot all the time, but they have to give him a pocket.

And wasn't Luck's 2nd INT versus your starters? That was a TD if the WR doesn't screw it up. However it goes down in the books, it was a "loss" for your D

edit: FV I liked all of those, and was really surprised at how decent the train movie was. But Crimson Tide and BHC2 don't stack up with his best stuff

Back before Netflix was so huge and a billion internet film sites popped up, the two films I used to always recommend to people were Way of the Gun and True Romance. 100% success rate. So much of True Romance is Tarantino, but the directing and performances are just amazing.

I hated Adams coming out of college. Just seemed so plodding and soft. I like the idea of Ben throwing on rhythm instead of sandlot all the time, but they have to give him a pocket.

And wasn't Luck's 2nd INT versus your starters? That was a TD if the WR doesn't screw it up. However it goes down in the books, it was a "loss" for your D

Yeah. Miscommunication by Troy and Ike.

What is really concerning me so far is the offense. Thank Tebow they still have a few weeks before the season starts. They don't look like they've figured out how most of Haley's playbook works yet.

The D is being held together with glue and paper clips. I like McClendon and I hope Lewis can step up and be key opposite Ike... but man, we got some old, slow guys on our squad.

Don't fret, though. Kiesel just had another baby. This is his third. The years he had the other two? Champs!

When talent can't win it for you, depend on superstition!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
It's a different game now. He and RG3 are really the first guys who have spent their whole youth playing 7 vs 7. He was valedictorian at a pretty good high school here. The rules are set up to keep him healthy. The AFCS is crap. He'd be 6-10 in the one of the better divisions, but can go 9-7/8-8 in the one he's in.

AFCS isn't that crap. Still not great, but Jags will surprise a lot of people this year (largely because of the abhorrent reporting that's been goin on with them - following the news from the big sources and comparing to the local reports from people who actually attended training camp makes it clear that someone is lying through their teeth - and it's Michael Lombardi). Texans will be solid. Titans and Colts will both be better than they should. There aren't any free wins for the Colts in the division, though. They'll pick up one or two, but no more than that.

jakncoke

Banned
AFCS isn't that crap. Still not great, but Jags will surprise a lot of people this year (largely because of the abhorrent reporting that's been goin on with them - following the news from the big sources and comparing to the local reports from people who actually attended training camp makes it clear that someone is lying through their teeth - and it's Michael Lombardi). Texans will be solid. Titans and Colts will both be better than they should. There aren't any free wins for the Colts in the division, though. They'll pick up one or two, but no more than that.

blaine gabbert

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
blaine gabbert

Exactly. 18/26 for 174 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs in the preseason so far. QB rating of 126.1, one of the highest scores out there for a starting QB. Looking good under pressure. Massively improved now that he has passable receivers, a QB coach who's actually a QB coach, and a head coach who isn't just playing to see how long he keeps his job. And still constantly improving, as is to be expected of such a young QB.

And still there are pundits out there pushing the lie that he's scared under pressure and Henne is going to be starting before the end of the season (a definitive sign that not only have they not seen Gabbert at all in training camp, but they also haven't seen Henne...)

squicken

AFCS isn't that crap. .

Agree with you on Gabbert. The reporting on his has been way overblown. I still want to see him do it when teams are game planning him and really coming after him. Blackmon could help a lot if he can do what he did in college.

But I think both the Titans and Texans take a step back. I just don't trust Schaub or AJ to stay healthy, and if either guy goes down, their offense goes in the tank. Hasselbeck is a year older and Locker, if he starts, is still the guy who slangs and is crazy inaccurate. They also have a lack of WRs.

My default prediction is to give the best QB in any given division the title, and that guy in the AFCS is Luck.

952l.png

Agree with you on Gabbert. The reporting on his has been way overblown. I still want to see him do it when teams are game planning him and really coming after him. Blackmon could help a lot if he can do what he did in college.

But I think both the Titans and Texans take a step back. I just don't trust Schaub or AJ to stay healthy, and if either guy goes down, their offense goes in the tank. Hasselbeck is a year older and Locker, if he starts, is still the guy who slangs and is crazy inaccurate. They also have a lack of WRs.

My default prediction is to give the best QB in any given division the title, and that guy in the AFCS is Luck.

I really disagree with this. Yates is more mobile and has a much stronger arm then Schaub. Last year they made the 2nd round with Yates who was totally raw. I think they could be fine if Yates had to take over and it might actually be a blessing.

I really disagree with this. Yates is more mobile and has a much stronger arm then Schaub. Last year they made the 2nd round with Yates who was totally raw. I think they could be fine if Yates had to take over and it might actually be a blessing.

The Run game and defense won the game against the Bengals.

Last years' Texans were really overrated. Schaub goes down a game earlier and they don't make the playoffs.

eznark

Banned
The Run game and defense won the game against the Bengals.

Last years' Texans were really overrated. Schaub goes down a game earlier and they don't make the playoffs.

Serious? This is your argument? If Schaub doesn't go down they are favorites to make the Super Bowl.

There isn't a contending team in football whose success doesn't hinge on their starting quarterback staying healthy.

Serious? This is your argument? If Schaub doesn't go down they are favorites to make the Super Bowl.

There isn't a contending team in football whose success doesn't hinge on their starting quarterback staying healthy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41209763&postcount=11390

bionic77

Ah. Well my advice to you is to not get into a serious discussion about quarterbacks from a guy who thought Kevin Kolb was going to be the best quarterback in football.
Wouldn't the Packers have won the Superbowl easily if Rodgers had got injured at the end of last year?

Also seeing Flynn put up 6 TDs and now suck dick with the Seahawks, what do you think the average GAFer's stats would be throwing to the Packers receivers? Personally I don't have an NFL ready arm and I would probably shit my pants if I saw James Harrison and Woodley bearing down on me at full speed, but I think I could still average 300 yards and 3 TDs with that offense.

Milchjon

Wouldn't the Packers have won the Superbowl easily if Rodgers had got injured at the end of last year?

Also seeing Flynn put up 6 TDs and now suck dick with the Seahawks, what do you think the average GAFer's stats would be throwing to the Packers receivers? Personally I don't have an NFL ready arm and I would probably shit my pants if I saw James Harrison and Woodley bearing down on me at full speed, but I think I could still average 300 yards and 3 TDs with that offense.

Defending thugs in the courtroom while being afraid of them outside of it. How do you live with that cognitive dissonance?

eznark

Banned

We all know Flynn was the true starting quarterback last year. Fraudgers must have pictures of McCarthy getting raped by Ben or something.

Don't get too discouraged about your arm strength. As long as you sign with the Steelers you'll have no problem putting up a great w/l record. Hell, Charlie Batch hasn't had an NFL ready arm since 1954 and he has a .714 winning percentage with them.

bionic77

We all know Flynn was the true starting quarterback last year. Fraudgers must have pictures of McCarthy getting raped by Ben or something.

Don't get too discouraged about your arm strength. As long as you sign with the Steelers you'll have no problem putting up a great w/l record. Hell, Charlie Batch hasn't had an NFL ready arm since 1954 and he has a .714 winning percentage with them.
Even at 185 lbs and being 6'2" and having never played competitive football in my life (not to mention a bum knee) I think I would be more durable than Batch and I think I can hand it off like a champ (I am pretty awesome at knowing the difference between left and right), but the Steelers keep refusing my applications.

I might have to settle on going to the Packers and putting up the big numbers. I am coming for you Fraudgers, and unlike the cowards in Green Bay I won't tolerate your anti-cancerism!

brentech

Even at 185 lbs and being 6'2" and having never played competitive football in my life (not to mention a bum knee) I think I would be more durable than Batch and I think I can hand it off like a champ (I am pretty awesome at knowing the difference between left and right), but the Steelers keep refusing my applications.

I might have to settle on going to the Packers and putting up the big numbers. I am coming for you Fraudgers, and unlike the cowards in Green Bay I won't tolerate your anti-cancerism!
She probably fought for equal rights/treatment back in her day. She's finally getting it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

LOL at any team being suckered into thinking a 6 TD performance against the worst secondary in football at the time was a sign that Flynn was a great QB.

bionic77

LOL at any team being suckered into thinking a 6 TD performance against the worst secondary in football at the time was a sign that Flynn was a great QB.
Worse than the Patriots? I find that hard to believe.

Don't hate on greatness dude. It just makes you look bad. I hate the Ravens but I openly acknowledge the greatness of Joseph A. Flacco and believe the Ravens would be fools to ever let him go.

bionic77

Patriots secondary is Super Bowl runner up caliber
I agree.

P.S. They did a great job at making Joe Flacco look elite at the end of the game and scaring that Baltimore receiver into that dropping that pass, confusing the coach on time management and the difference between 3rd and 4th down, and then in making that kicker miss that FG badly in the championship game.

P.P.S. I enjoyed their performance in Pittsburgh even more when they went like 1/100 on 3rd and long. Sometimes I even saw a Pats defender on screen next to the receivers!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I agree.

P.S. They did a great job at making Joe Flacco look elite at the end of the game and scaring that Baltimore receiver into that dropping that pass, confusing the coach on time management and the difference between 3rd and 4th down, and then in making that kicker miss that FG badly in the championship game.

P.P.S. I enjoyed their performance in Pittsburgh even more when they went like 1/100 on 3rd and long. Sometimes I even saw a Pats defender on screen next to the receivers!

At least the Patriots didn't embarrass themselves in the playoffs like some other team did.

KaYotiX

Banned

Agree, the Texans imo will make the playoff and put up a strong run at the Super Bowl. Losing to Green Bay of course but it will be a good run for them :)

bionic77

No shame in losing to Tebow the Son. In fact, the Steelers should be honored that the Divine One let them score any points in his presence.
I will have to agree with Grover on this one.

We all know that Tebow doesn't just fuck anyone. So to be the first team he fucked in the playoffs, well obviously we are going to cherish that memory for a very long time.

Top Bottom