• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

brentech

Nothing compares to NY dude. Everything seems like shit when you compare them to NY.

My favorite city is San Fran. At least it is my favorite to visit on vacation. Favorite vacation is still Hawaii as far as the US is concerned, but damn that flight sucks from the east coast.

Yeah, I had a good time in San Fran last year. I didn't mind taking their buses that much.
Having a car there would have been a pain in the ass.

Milchjon

Nothing compares to NY dude. Everything seems like shit when you compare them to NY.

Of course I only spent a few days in each, and I don't know what it's like living there, but I actually preferred Boston.

NYC just felt so... inhumane?!? I remember on my first night there, I thought I'd take my fast food out to sit on a bench somewhere. In the end I walked like 45 minutes to Central Park until I found the first one.

Sure, it has a lot to see, a lot to do, much variety and some stuff you can't find anywhere else. But it's so fast, so big, so unpersonal, so crowded... Boston fit my Euro sensibilities much better.

I had the Philly Cheese Steak at Subway the other day and wasn't impressed. This is the best Philly has to offer the world? Fuck that city.

Using a Subway bastardisation of anything to judge its quality is always wrong. True, I never had a real Philly Cheesesteak either, only a homemade approximation, but Subway is always disqualified.

I have been to NY a ton and it is just to crowded and to expensive. I would go crazy if I lived there. One thing I really like about Philly is how spread out it is. You can drive around the city without the traffic making you to crazy, 76 is always a mess, but the rest of the roads are not bad. I could never imagine driving in NY. I lived in San Francisco for 4 years. I hated the weather, the hills, the lack of trees and wildlife, how busy everything is, and how expensive everything is. The city itself is beautiful and there are so many great places to eat and great bars.

I had the Philly Cheese Steak at Subway the other day and wasn't impressed. This is the best Philly has to offer the world? Fuck that city.

Sheeeit. I tried one of Subway's Reuben Sandwiches (was gonna go to Katz Deli, but this was closer) and was also disappointed. These regional sandwich specialties are so overrated.

LJ11

Of course I only spent a few days in each, and I don't know what it's like living there, but I actually preferred Boston.

NYC just felt so... inhumane?!? I remember on my first night there, I thought I'd take my fast food out to sit on a bench somewhere. In the end I walked like 45 minutes to Central Park until I found the first one.

Sure, it has a lot to see, a lot to do, much variety and some stuff you can't find anywhere else. But it's so fast, so big, so unpersonal, so crowded... Boston fit my Euro sensibilities much better.

Using a Subway bastardisation of anything to judge its quality is always wrong. True, I never had a real Philly Cheesesteak either, only a homemade approximation, but Subway is always disqualified.

You walked 45 minutes just to find a park bench? This is pretty funny. Out of curiosity do remember the street number where you picked up your food? Betting there was a closer park.

Milchjon

I had no idea Subway had a Philly cheesesteak, it must be terrible though.

It is. It's a standard Subway sandwich with steak and cheese, and of course all those veggies. No thinly sliced steak, no cheese whiz, and a whole lot of crap that doesn't really belong. Tastes like any other Subway creation.

You walked 45 minutes just to find a park bench? This is pretty funny. Out of curiosity do remember the street number where you picked up your food? Betting there was a closer park.

Haha, yeah. It was somewhere around the Port Authority bus terminal, and as someone from somewhere where everything is a bit smaller, I just assumed that if I walked along the avenue, I had to stumble upon one eventually. Bad instincts, bad luck, no map.

Edit: Just realized that this would probably not take 45 minutes, so I remember either the location or the time it took me wron ;-)

brentech

It is. It's a standard Subway sandwich with steak and cheese, and of course all those veggies. No thinly sliced steak, no cheese whiz, and a whole lot of crap that doesn't really belong. Tastes like any other Subway creation.

Not speaking of the quality of the products used....
You do realize that YOU chose what you put on your Subway sub right? It's not their creation....it's yours. "A whole lot of crap that doesn't really belong" is your own damn fault.

bionic77

I had no idea Subway had a Philly cheesesteak, it must be terrible though.
Terrible is too strong a word. It isn't good but there are worse things you could eat (Subway if you reading this I would be willing to be paid to give this same review on the air while holding up some fat pants and pretending that your food helped me to lose weight).

NY is not for the faint of heart. Such a great place to live when you are young though (as long as you don't value any kind of savings). I still love going up there to hang out with my buddies, or at least I did when I had free time.

I think I might have been intimidated driving around the city when I was like 19, but since then I have never found the city too much. The fact that it would take 10 lifetimes to experience everything to me is a huge plus for the city. Like I said, no comparison between NY and any other city in the US.

I have been to NY a ton and it is just to crowded and to expensive. I would go crazy if I lived there. One thing I really like about Philly is how spread out it is. You can drive around the city without the traffic making you to crazy, 76 is always a mess, but the rest of the roads are not bad. I could never imagine driving in NY. I lived in San Francisco for 4 years. I hated the weather, the hills, the lack of trees and wildlife, how busy everything is, and how expensive everything is. The city itself is beautiful and there are so many great places to eat and great bars.
I don't think I would like living in San Fran either, but it is an awesome place to visit. As a tourist I liked it a lot more than LA. LA has so many awesome things to see and do there, but it and Houston are the two worst designed cities I have ever seen. Ugly as fuck to look at too.

Milchjon

Not speaking of the quality of the products used....
You do realize that YOU chose what you put on your Subway sub right? It's not their creation....it's yours. "A whole lot of crap that doesn't really belong" is your own damn fault.

Sure, but I got it the way they advertised it, and if I go to Subway, I don't think I'm getting my money's worth if I skip the greens.

I don't like Subway in general though, so maybe I'm not the one to judge.

Talon

Gary Johnson must giggle everytime he wakes up and reads another story about goofy social positions by the GOP.
You're saying a real cheese steak or Reuben is not good?

I forget you;re just used to "Southern Cuisine", aka covering a semi-edible piece of food in batter and deep frying it
I'm talking about Subway, you plebe.

Reuben is the second best sandwich after a Nova Lox on a poppy seed bagel.

I haven't lived in Atlanta in 6 years, honey. I barely eat meat nowadays. Fish and veggies all da way.

Antonio-Brown-breaks-the-plane-with-style-AP-Images.jpg

Gary Johnson must giggle everytime he wakes up and reads another story about goofy social positions by the GOP.

I am still shaking my head that in an election that everyone is saying is winnable for them, that they would take such an extreme hard line that is sure to alienate more people then it brings in. It is pure madness to say that they will outlaw abortion in every case.

Milchjon

I am still shaking my head that in an election that everyone is saying is winnable for them, that they would take such an extreme hard line that is sure to alienate more people then it brings in. It is pure madness to say that they will outlaw abortion in every case.

It's like none of them ever watched The Price Is Right. Just place yourself a little bit to the right of your struggling opponent, and it shouldn't be a problem, right?

LJ11

Haha, yeah. It was somewhere around the Port Authority bus terminal, and as someone from somewhere where everything is a bit smaller, I just assumed that if I walked along the avenue, I had to stumble upon one eventually. Bad instincts, bad luck, no map.

Edit: Just realized that this would probably not take 45 minutes, so I remember either the location or the time it took me wron ;-)

Well the Port Authority to Central Park is around 17 blocks or so, should take you less than 45 minutes but depending on how fast you walk it could be a 20 minute walk or more.

Bryant Park is 2 or 3 blocks up from the Port Authority.

cajunator

Banned
I am hugely interested in american history and history in general, so a visit to Philly would be exciting. Same with NY and Boston. I wouldnt live in any of those places though. But visiting them? Fuck yeah I want to.

cashman

Banned
I am hugely interested in american history and history in general, so a visit to Philly would be exciting. Same with NY and Boston. I wouldnt live in any of those places though. But visiting them? Fuck yeah I want to.

slightly ot: Why isn't philly going to be covered in AssCreed 3. For such a historical game, philly should have been obvious.

Slo

Sheeeit. I tried one of Subway's Reuben Sandwiches (was gonna go to Katz Deli, but this was closer) and was also disappointed. These regional sandwich specialties are so overrated.

I've had the Italian Meatball Marinara, and it proved that Italians are master chefs. On the other hand, based on the BBQ pulled pork, the entire South can't cook for shit.

slightly ot: Why isn't philly going to be covered in AssCreed 3. For such a historical game, philly should have been obvious.

I heard the devs address this. They said that in that period Philly mostly had single story buildings that were spread out and so it wouldnt make for a fun experience to traverse.

Milchjon

That is a perfect description. I just dont see how any woman could vote for this.

Well, I'm just guessing, but I can imagine that some women have stronger feelings towards babys and their right to live. So if you frame abortion as a killing of babys, making it totally illegal could appeal to some.

Well the Port Authority to Central Park is around 17 blocks or so, should take you less than 45 minutes but depending on how fast you walk it could be a 20 minute walk or more.

Bryant Park is 2 or 3 blocks up from the Port Authority.

Like I said, small town boy without a map. I just kept walking in one direction on 8th Avenue, Bryant Park would have been down the street I think.

bionic77

I wish we had a third option but the repubs are so fucking crazy on social issues that it is impossible to vote for them.

I want a government that will reduce the size of the military, ends all form of corporate lobbying, rewards companies that stay in the US, stops us getting involved in wars, is socially progressive, and most importantly will jail the war criminals from New England and make a museum to illustrate the evils they perpetrated on a nation so that we never forget it. Is that too much to ask Obama?

Milchjon

I wish we had a third option but the repubs are so fucking crazy on social issues that it is impossible to vote for them.

I want a government that will reduce the size of the military, ends all form of corporate lobbying, rewards companies that stay in the US, stops us getting involved in wars, is socially progressive, and most importantly will jail the war criminals from New England and make a museum to illustrate the evils they perpetrated on a nation so that we never forget it. Is that too much to ask Obama?

You're crazier than a Republican. What's your stance on Big Ben, was that "legitimate" rape?

bionic77

That is a perfect description. I just dont see how any woman could vote for this.
If you believed it was murder or if it was against your religion then I could see how you would be against it.

While I agree that women have the right to choose to have an abortion and that the government should not have that control over their body, I at least can admit that the actual process is entirely repulsive to me.

Milchjon

If you believed it was murder or if it was against your religion then I could see how you would be against it.

While I agree that women have the right to choose to have an abortion and that the government should not have that control over their body, I at least can admit that the actual process is entirely repulsive to me.

I don't think what is "wrong" and what is outlawed should necessarily always be completely congruent. I'd have a hard time to decide in favor of an abortion if I ever was in a situation where I had to choose, yet I absolutely think it should be an option.

What most people think is right and what produces the best outcome for the biggest number of people isn't necessarily always the same.

Shit, I'm posting too much.

Talon

The lack of caveats for cases of rape or incest is what's absurd. My girlfriend is very religious (Catholic). She's very hardline against abortion and believes strongly in the sanctity of life from conception - including invitro fertilization (the remaining embryos are either tossed/have stem cells extracted), but even she thinks this is complete nosense.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
The cheese steak discussion prompted me to go pick up a Number 9 from D'Angelo.
South Philly Hoagies here in Harrisburg has some pretty amazing cheese steak sandwiches. Honestly like them more than a majority of the stuff I've tried in Philly.

G-Fex

Well I think I'll be leaving NFL gaf.

Not that I posted really or posted anything of importance or interest but uh...

I think i'm done lurking here also...bye.

bionic77

Getting away from politics for a second and back to football, why are teams so stupid that they almost all rush to get players back on the field as soon as possible?

I understand why James Harrison wants to get back on the field as soon as possible, he doesn't want to lose his job. But his coaches and the doctors should know better. It seems to me for a guy his age it would make a lot more sense to take your time and make sure that when he came back his knee would be able to hold up for the rest of the season. But so often we see coaches and players rush back to get onto the field and can't play at the level their team needs them to play.

Every coach seems to value the next game a little too much. Can't we all agree that while regular season games are important, they pale in value next to the postseason, right?

bionic77

The thread was legitimately raped, and for whatever reason, it had no way to shut the whole thing down.

I'm going to hell.

That's totally the real life George Michael.
You are going to burn for eternity in hell, but not because of a bad joke. But because you worship the false idol of the Patriots.

You can still get into the shitty lower level of heaven if you repent, but the stink of the Pats will always be with you so you will have to do something epic to make up for it and make it in one of the better parts of heaven.

Retirement incoming...

Dan Graziano @espn_nfceast

Redskins just announced they will host a retirement press conference Thursday for Clinton Portis.

darkside31337 said:
I had no idea Clinton Portis wasn't already retired.
Yeah, there's a bunch of players that kind of just meander for a number of years before finally deciding to retire. I suppose the hope remains that they'll get signed or continue playing.

Top Bottom