• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

UberTag

20120821-london-pr.jpg
So what happens first... the Bills moving to Toronto or the Jaguars moving to London? When does Mexico City get some love?
And why will all of these cities land NFL franchises before Los Angeles?

Milchjon

What's the matter with LA anyway? How can a city with about 13 million people in a region that clearly at least somewhat cares about football not keep a franchise?

bionic77

Me either.

Went to school in Kutztown which is smack dab between Allentown and Reading, they play that fucking song at least once a day.
There are two important facts about Kutztown University. One is that Andre Reed went there, the other is that it is near some monstrosity of a hunting store named Cabelas. That store is like a wet dream for Eznark.

There are two important facts about Kutztown University. One is that Andre Reed went there, the other is that it is near some monstrosity of a hunting store named Cabelas. That store is like a wet dream for Eznark.

Yep, Reed's jersey is in the gym. And John Mobley graduated a year before I did. Ha ha, Cabelas, they built that after I graduated, but I've been there cause my brother loves that shit. I was pretty much bored to tears, though the aquarium set up was kind of cool.

I hate the Colts but Andrew Luck looked amazing in his 2 preseason games. He made a couple of bad throws, some poor decisions here and there, but he is huge and he just looks so damn poised, more poised than most vets. He looked like he really felt the pocket well, and the clock in his head seems to be light-years ahead of RGIII right now.

I wasn't a believer last year, but I'm a believer now, this dude is the real deal and I could see him throw for like 30 TD's as a rookie, (probably like 25-30 picks too).

Go Bears!

bluemax

Banned
Russell Wilson is 5'11"?

:jnc. No matter who wins, Seahawks lose.

Drew Brees is 5'11" and he won a Super Bowl.

By all reports Wilson is the third best QB from this draft in terms of current skills and athleticism.

I'm still convinced Flynn will be the starter this year but Wilson could be the guy long term.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Any news on Maurice Jones Drew and his holdout? Seems like both sides are dug in.

There won't be any digging in. MJD is scared shitless that the Jaguars will actually be better off without him - which they would be if they actually traded his ass in the offseason or decided to just trade him right now. Bet he reports within a week at the latest.

Talon

Oh my. Those Polygon people are serious business.

I like The Verge because their site is much more sensible and usable than most tech sites, but the personalities are a bit nauseating (namely: Topolsky and Studders McStuddersky interrupting the sensible Nilay on the podcast every five seconds).

Looks like Polygon's way worse - even though I like Matt Leone a lot.

Ars Technica master race!

Dragon

Banned
Drew Brees is 5'11" and he won a Super Bowl.

The exception is not the rule.

Besides Brees since 2001 here are the heights of the SB winners. (And yes there aren't many under 6 foot tall QBs in the NFL).

Code:
6'5" 3 (Big Ben 2, Peyton)
6'4" 6 (Brady 3, Eli 2, Trent Dilfer)
6'2" 1 (Rodgers)

By all reports Wilson is the third best QB from this draft in terms of current skills and athleticism.

So he's not even the best QB in the draft and you think he has a chance to be Drew Brees? smh

There won't be any digging in. MJD is scared shitless that the Jaguars will actually be better off without him - which they would be if they actually traded his ass in the offseason or decided to just trade him right now. Bet he reports within a week at the latest.

I was just asking because of fantasy prospects. I'm not sure if the Jags would be better off without him or not.

squicken

I don't know much about Wilson but I know for certain that MIA is screwing up playing Tannehill so early. They have no WRs, and even before the draft, I thought he was too raw to start this year. That organization is short-sighted. They needed to tank a year and get some weapons on offense

jakncoke

Banned
I don't know much about Wilson but I know for certain that MIA is screwing up playing Tannehill so early. They have no WRs, and even before the draft, I thought he was too raw to start this year. That organization is short-sighted. They needed to tank a year and get some weapons on offense

I would say the same thing about Brandon Weeden but if they do that he'll be basically 30 and "just" starting :me never gets old

Lol Wilson has ok games against 5th stringers and now he's a legit starter. Lulz god I hope the seagulls do it. That organization is full of incompetent idiots and 49er trash

squicken

Saw this on Sam Farmer's timeline (LAT football writer)

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer
With Jaguars committing to 4 London games, they're officially out of short-term LA mix. LA team would need every home game it could get.

kate ‏@ktcooktime
@LATimesfarmer Re your Jags tweet, how far behind the times are you? We had blackouts in 2009. Not since.MANY teams r blacked out. Not Jags.

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer
@ktcooktime Didn't mention blackouts. Since you did, Anheuser-Busch bought remaining tix at 34% face to lift 3 straight Jax b/outs in 2011.

cajunator

Banned
If you think Allentown was weird you should have checked out Lancaster. It is Amish country so their are horse drawn buggies everywhere. It is like visiting a different world.

I cant believe a team would draft a 29 year old QB. Whether or not he's really great, that gives you a window of 6-7 years maybe and 9 if you have a Favre type.

squicken

Lol Wilson has ok games against 5th stringers and now he's a legit starter. Lulz god I hope the seagulls do it. That organization is full of incompetent idiots and 49er trash

I know. It's great. Benching Flynn (they can say what they want, if they liked him, they wouldn't need to "see" Wilson with the 1s) hurts his confidence and undermines him in locker room. If Wilson struggles, do they go back to Flynn? What does that do to Wilson?

And you laughed when I said 6 wins for the Rams

LJ11

To be fair, he may be a better fit for that offense, they're a zone heavy team and Wilson actually threaten the backside with bootlegs/rollouts and the like. Wilson played in a run heavy PA offense, wasn't asked to do much but he did what was asked really well.

Obviously, regular season is a different ball game but Wilson showed talent against the shitty Big 12.

Talon

To be fair, he may be a better fit for that offense, they're a zone heavy team and Wilson actually threaten the backside with bootlegs/rollouts and the like. Wilson played in a run heavy PA offense, wasn't asked to do much but he did what was asked really well.

Obviously, regular season is a different ball game but Wilson showed talent against the shitty Big 12.
Big Ten, you mean? Or the ACC perhaps?

squicken

Aug 21, 2012 - The New England Patriots announced on Tuesday that they have released defensive end Jonathan Fanene, offensive lineman Kyle Hill and kicker Chris Koepplin.

Fanene, 30, was picked up by the Patriots as an unrestricted free agent on March 20, 2012 and given a $3.85 million signing bonus. The Cincinnati Bengals drafted Fanene in the seventh round in 2005. He played for the Bengals for his whole career before joining the Patriots. Fanene was coming off a season in which he had a career-high 6.5 sacks when New England signed him. A knee injury kept him out of recent practices and preseason action.

lol

UberTag

I was just asking because of fantasy prospects. I'm not sure if the Jags would be better off without him or not.
If they could get equivalent value for MJD in the form of draft picks/prospects, they'd definitely be better off without him.
Leaving Jennings on the bench as much as they do given his talent level is simply a waste. It's Michael Turner all over again.

bluemax

Banned
The exception is not the rule.

Besides Brees since 2001 here are the heights of the SB winners. (And yes there aren't many under 6 foot tall QBs in the NFL).

Code:
6'5" 3 (Big Ben 2, Peyton)
6'4" 6 (Brady 3, Eli 2, Trent Dilfer)
6'2" 1 (Rodgers)

So he's not even the best QB in the draft and you think he has a chance to be Drew Brees? smh

I am well aware the exception is not the rule. But I feel there is a bit of confirmation bias against shorter QBs.

I don't think he is Drew Bress, but I would say Drew Brees with more mobility is his absolute ceiling. Just because that is his ceiling doesn't mean he will make it there nor do I think he is an elite QB right this minute.

Just because they're starting him in a pre-season game doesn't mean he will be the regular season starter. If they don't give him a chance against higher quality opposition then how will they ever know if he is good? Yes he's shined against scrubs, so give him a half against not scrubs and see what he can do.

As for the other stuff, I'm betting a lot of other teams in the NFL would like a bunch of incompetent idiots who can create a young defense that is in the top 10 in the NFL with 3 pro bowl members in its secondary.

I've never seen bluemax this excited about a non-USC player.

Wilson is the most talented QB the Seahawks have drafted like, ever. Considering how shit our QB history has been both recently and overall, when you have a player who has the potential to be special its hard to not be excited.

Sad fact, Rick Mirer is STILL the all time leader in starts for a Seahawks QB.

I know. It's great. Benching Flynn (they can say what they want, if they liked him, they wouldn't need to "see" Wilson with the 1s) hurts his confidence and undermines him in locker room. If Wilson struggles, do they go back to Flynn? What does that do to Wilson?

And you laughed when I said 6 wins for the Rams

I probably shouldn't respond to this, but this isn't a benching for Flynn. He hasn't been named the regular season starter or anything.

Is it an unconventional approach? Absolutely. Flynn and Wilson have taken double the snaps in the preseason of the other QBs in the division. But when you have two players who you just don't know much about the only way to learn is to put them on the field in different situations and see how they handle it.

Yeah, I actually read a good post on this on some Seahawks blog before the preseason. Flynn doesn't have the same arm strength and has played mostly out of the shot gun for quite some time, so his fit for the Seahawks power run, play action, tight end heavy, vertically oriented offense is somewhat questionable.

squicken

I probably shouldn't respond to this, but this isn't a benching for Flynn. He hasn't been named the regular season starter or anything.

They didn't start Flynn in preseason with the plan to then let Wilson get the reps in game 3. They wanted Flynn to prove he was the guy. If he had done that then they wouldn't need to evaluate Wilson. Maybe Wilson will be Brees and it won't matter. But what I do know is that the Seahawks aren't terribly impressed by Matt Flynn

Slo

Oh great, here comes the Jaguars defense force. :rolleyes

Edit: I was replying to squicken's post on the last page, and now my post makes no sense. Fuck you squicken. Suck on this JAllen plate.

XL_SAXF.png

squicken

Oh great, here comes the Jaguars defense force. :rolleyes

Edit: I was replying to squicken's post on the last page, and now my post makes no sense. Fuck you squicken. Suck on this JAllen plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/nramaker/XL_SAXF.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

I'm gonna make it a point to offend you more often if it mean more JAllen

This weekend will see the Icon and the Divine One reunited for the first time since Newton graciously left Florida.

cameron_newton_florida.jpeg

And in more significant news for next year's Super Bowl champs, Thomas "No Knees" Davis may make his preseason debut Sunday.

effzee

Thoughts on the game last night.

Vick:

Well it is what it is. I like Vick but its always been obvious that he can't stay healthy. He should have taken the sack on that play and just lived for another down. Of course he exposed himself. He can talk about it as much as he wants, until he actually plays smart and avoids those hits its always going to be a 10-13 games season for him.

Its also why I don't get why the team went so young and inexperienced for the back up QB spot. I jokingly pushed for them to sign McNabb earlier this off-season but now it makes the most sense. Trent Edwards can't beat out 2nd year man Kafka. I liked what I saw of Kafka last year for a rookie but not only is he hurt right now (out for the preseason) but I don't feel comfortable with him as the back up in a season where they are trying to make a SB run.

Similarly I liked Foles last night but again it was against the 2nd unit Pats D and a lot of those TDs were set up by TOs by the Pats offense.

Reid:

Offense ran the same and will run the same. At least they have all the skill positions set. And I really enjoyed him actually take an interest in the D, chew out the starting DLINE, and bring some emotion. They were playing like dog shit.

Rest of the team

The LBs actually looked like LBs! HOORAY! DLine got some pressure but wasn't overly impressed. Then again not worried either. I like what we have in terms of starting talent and depth at both the ends and tackles.

Team overall has a bunch of talented players. Its just about putting it together. Prediction?

SB.

mr2xxx

Banned
So old that it is new, still funny to this day though.

To: John Madden
CC: Electronic Arts Sports
Re: Being the worst rated player on Madden 07

Hi, John, my name is Ethan Albright. I play line for the Washington Redskins. You probably already knew that, so I’ll continue. I am writing in regards to the overall player rating of 53 that I have received in Madden NFL Football 2007. I feel that this is fucking bullshit and you should kiss my mother-fucking ass. Ahmed Carroll was rated a 78 and the Packers just cut his ass on a Tuesday morning after his performance in a Monday night game. That is pretty terrible. The worst part is that his overall rating was sniffing 80.

You know what, John? Two can play this game. I rate you a fucking 12. I rate you a fucking 12 in Ethan Albright Football 2000-ever — except for in the category of ball-licking. That is where I will spot you a 98 rating. You will receive this score because I will never give your blubbery ass a 99 in any category. Take that, pencil-dick. Go do Al Micheals or something. Boom.

It’s also pretty wonderful that my awareness rating was 59. You make it sound like I wake up in the morning, helplessly shit and piss myself, then lose three of my teeth before I discover that I am trying to eat a rock for breakfast. Fuck, John, I understand you saying that I am slow and lacking athleticism, but a rating like this pretty much labels me as retarded. Rod “He Hate Me” Smart has a 52 in this category. Electronic Arts is saying that seven rating points separate me and the breathing embodiment of the perfect oxymoron. Rod Smart struggled to arrange words in sentence form. Cave men had better hold of the English language. The only actions that separate point values of ignorance at this embarrassing level are things like using your own toothbrush to wipe your ass. I basically edged out Rod by my lack of shit teeth. If I take a night school class, could you bump me up to a 60?

I guess I just cant fathom the fact that I am the absolute worst player rated out of the entire NFL. Fuck, man, there are some shitty guys out there. Amongst everyone, I was rated the absolute worst.

I have received the impression that you feel that I am lacking in the agility category. I should consider a walk through my living room where I don’t crash through a wall or kick over furniture a resounding success. My agility rating on your game is 33. It makes it sound like I just topple over if I start walking too fast. Ted Washington is rated a 40 in agility. He is listed at 365 pounds. If Ted Washington tied a white lady up and made her wear a metal bikini, he’d look just like Jabba the Hut.

John, you are such a fucking dick. I also noticed that my kick return rating was a 0. I was rated a fucking zero? So you feel that I shouldn’t even receive a 10, or even a 5? You are pretty much saying that I couldn’t even fall forward on a ball kicked in my direction. I would just stand there and let the ball bounce off of my fucking face. Fuck that, John, I returned an onside kick 6 yards in 2002. You should have just slapped a – 4 on me and had the EA staff ambush me with paintball guns.

Finally, I would like to comment on an unlikely topic, my pass coverage ratings. I see that I am a better at man-to-man coverage (31) than zone (21). Fuck me sideways with a lunchbox. Where did these scores even come from? How much time is spent coming up with the pass coverage ratings of offensive lineman? Can I have that job? Let’s see here, I think that Orlando Pace would be slightly better at jumping intermediate routes than Larry Allen. While I’m at it, I can assign the passing ratings for offensive lineman as well. I can use mine as a guide.

I was rated with a throwing power of 17 and accuracy of 16. Orlando Pace has a 22 power and 17 accuracy rating. Did someone at EA really put time into figuring out that Orlando Pace edges out Ethan Albright in both throwing power and accuracy? I will challenge him any day. My horrible passer ratings are of greatest misfortune to my son, Red Beard Jr. The poor boy is not only hideously ugly and covered by freakishly large freckles. He also has to suffer through playing catch with me and my senile-elderly-woman-type passer ratings. A session of tossing the pigskin usually consists of me missing my son by thirty yards in sporadic directions. I led him in front of a fire truck once and my wife kicked my ass. This is because of my 76 toughness rating. Yes, a 76 is far better than the other ratings, but I’m a fucking lineman, damn it. NFL Linemen are considered to be synonymous with toughness. According to your game, I am a retarded, uncoordinated, pussy-ass fuckwad that can’t fall on a kickoff, throw, or spell. I am, however, slightly better at manning up on a receiver than dropping into zone coverage. You lose your mind more and more each year, old man.

Fuck you, John. Please expect to find red pubes in various meals you consume for the rest of your life. If you fuck with Ethan Albright, you call down the thunder.

Rot in Hell,

Ethan Albright

bionic77

I dreamt of a Jets passing touchdown last night.

It was amazing.
I once dreamt of Tebow scoring a 99 yard TD on a bootleg to beat the Pats in the AFC Championship as time runs out.

In my dream he runs through the entire Pats "defense", who can't stop him but rip most of his jersey off and then on the 5 yard line Bellicheat and Tammy illegally run out to stop him and Tebow stiff arms Bill and trucks Brady.

I am pretty sure that is going to be prophetic.

squicken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Odd thing w #Jaguars: GM Gene Smith talks to MJD frequently. Spoke last night. But owner Shad Khan's comments publicly send another message

Khan really does seem to be exacerbating the situation. Can't endear him to the players, and probably not the fans, who really like MJD

Top Bottom