• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/08/21/season-storylines/1.html

Hype rising....I've waited ten gawd damn years for some real hope! 10 fucking years....the Carr Era, 2-14, 6-10, prolific offenses with no freaking defense.

For the love of god let us have some real damn success!
Thats some BULL
Tomlin inherited all the good stuff he was given. He didn't even install his own defense when he came, the team just came out of the box with a perennial top 5 D thanks to LeBeau. No way he's top tier. The only real coaching staff decision he finally had to make was removing Arians who I believe was also there before him. Everything else was set up for success.

Doesn't mean I don't think he's done a great job, even if you have the parts you still have to make it work. But he's not at the top like others imo

Damn LJ beat me. Stupid phone

Bowser

Jim Harbaugh, after one overachieving season, is better than 3 Super Bowl winning coaches (one a multiple-time SB winner)?

wut.

The next 3-4 years will be a real test of Tomlin's coaching ability. Cowher's guys are getting old and the majority of them won't be on the team come 2015. We'll have the book on Haley in Pittsburgh then too.

Holy Shit I cant believe someone signed Vernon Gholston. How do players like this keep getting signed? Just go out and find some guy with the right size and speed who never really got a chance and see what he can do. Give somebody new a chance. Sure they will probably be useless, but at least give them a chance to prove it first. Everybody already knows Gholston is useless.

LJ11

No one scouts better than Belichick? Uh, okay...

His last couple of drafts have been pretty good, which means they probably found better scouts, or replaced the ones they lost.

Remember when Belichick worked out Butler himself, who was excellent in drills, and the media began hyping him up in the predraft. "He did excellent when Belichick worked him out. You know what that means!" How'd that work out for master scout Belichick? Bust. The king baby!

His draft philosophy has been to draft Florida Gators. What a scout!

The next 3-4 years will be a real test of Tomlin's coaching ability. Cowher's guys are getting old and the majority of them won't be on the team come 2015. We'll have the book on Haley in Pittsburgh then too.

Wonder if they'll eventually switch to a 4-3.

He also is probably the best looking coach. So there's that.

Come on man!

mustache-wins.jpg

Godslay

Banned
Coughlin beat Belichick fair and square and asterisk-free twice in the biggest game this sport has to offer, yet he's not at the same level according to him?

That article is garbage. Plain and simple. He's got Dennis Allen "knocking on the door", Dennis Allen has never coached a single game as a regular season head coach. He shouldn't even be on the list, period. He has no body of work.

Prove me wrong: Mike Shanahan and John Fox

Two big names we don't quite trust. Shanahan exercises too much personnel power and he's 35-45 over his last five seasons. Fox is solid, but can become too conservative.

This is also a joke. Shanahan is a two time world champion, and a pretty damn good coach. He is also pretty good (or was) evaluator of personnel.

Yes, Fox can be conservative. To adapt and win with a team lead by Tebow, puts him above the prove me wrong category imo. Hell, he's lead a team to the SB. Joke of an article.

This is also a joke. Shanahan is a two time world champion, and a pretty damn good coach. He is also pretty good (or was) evaluator of personnel.

I know he's your guy because he was the Broncs coach, but let's put this in perspective. Shanahan last won a championship 14 years ago.

Godslay

Banned
I know he's your guy because he was the Broncs coach, but let's put this in perspective. Shanahan last won a championship 14 years ago.

You can't ignore the body of work. Shanahan is still light years beyond a coach like Dennis Allen, Joe Philbin, and the like. He has proven year in and year out, in Denver that he could craft teams built to either win championships or get to the playoffs.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about Washington, but they have always been missing that key piece in a QB. McNabb, Beck, Rexy aren't going to get it done no matter who the coach is. I don't really care what happens in Washington, but to say prove it with Shanahan is silly. If the writer would have said, he needs to prove to Washington he's still the same guy, I might agree. The fact is that he didn't, and simply said he exercises too much personnel power and is 35-45 over the last five seasons without any qualifiers why. It really isn't the whole story.

What is Mike Tomlin good at? He strikes me as a guy who inherited a good team and a good coordinator.

He looks awesome in a pair of shades! Oh, and he's great at iconic football quotes like, "the standard is the standard" and "it is what it is." He recognizes and accepts that.

Striker

Washington have been missing a quarterback, but outside Moss, they've had nothing at WR and once Portis began breaking down, continued to not have any success at running back. They've had OL problems since Jansen, Thomas, and Samuel all left, too.

You can't ignore the body of work. Shanahan is still light years beyond a coach like Dennis Allen, Joe Philbin, and the like. He has proven year in and year out, in Denver that he could craft teams built to either win championships or get to the playoffs.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about Washington, but they have always been missing that key piece in a QB. McNabb, Beck, Rexy aren't going to get it done no matter who the coach is. I don't really care what happens in Washington, but to say prove it with Shanahan is silly. If the writer would have said, he needs to prove to Washington he's still the same guy, I might agree. The fact is that he didn't, and simply said he exercises too much personnel power and is 35-45 over the last five seasons without any qualifiers why. It really isn't the whole story.

Denver was 4 years ago. Better coaches than Shanahan have lost it in less time.

Godslay

Banned
Washington have been missing a quarterback, but outside Moss, they've had nothing at WR and once Portis began breaking down, continued to not have any success at running back. They've had OL problems since Jansen, Thomas, and Samuel all left, too.

They've made moves to fix all of that from what I've seen. New QB, runningbacks seem healthy so far (which wasn't true in the past), they added serviceable WRs to give RG targets. I'm not sure about any moves on their OL. Their defense is solid. I don't know all of the minutiae of their team, but a solid QB will help disguise some of those problems. The team is looking better than it certainly has in the past.

Denver was 4 years ago. Better coaches than Shanahan have lost it in less time.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I think the team is very close to being turned around. If RG3 is worth a damn, it will speed the process up exponentially.

Godslay said:
New QB, runningbacks seem healthy so far (which wasn't true in the past), they added serviceable WRs to give RG targets. I'm not sure about any moves on their OL.
No. The Redskins starter (Tim Hightower) is coming off of an ACL and may not be ready for the season opener. The next man in line, Roy Helu has two sore Achilles and has been sitting out of practice and their preseason games. So that leaves Evan Royster and Alfred Morris as possible starters if Hightower/Helu don't make it back by the beginning of the season.

Their offensive line is a bit of a mess. They have Trent Williams on the outside as probably their best lineman and even he hasn't looked great in the preseason. Peppers ate him alive in that last preseason game if memory serves. Gettis, Maurice Hurt and Mongomery in the interior are shaky and Polumbus is serviceable at best on the right hand side. If there's any one glaring weakness, it's the offensive line which has the propensity to affect RGIII this season as a rookie.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what's going on with Chris Chester and Kory Lichtensteiger. I think both are injured at the moment so that should improve the interior for them if they come back healthy.

Certain things have been addressed and I don't disagree that they are looking to possibly be better than they have been in a long while but it's not quite as rosy as all that.

Holy Shit I cant believe someone signed Vernon Gholston. How do players like this keep getting signed? Just go out and find some guy with the right size and speed who never really got a chance and see what he can do. Give somebody new a chance. Sure they will probably be useless, but at least give them a chance to prove it first. Everybody already knows Gholston is useless.

Slightly off topic but this is one of the biggest reasons I am excited for Madden's new CC mode! All the progression is up to you. Too bad you can't edit rosters, I would make an All-Bust Team and reignite their careers! At least there's still trades and FA.

Bobby Carpenter will be the HOF LB he was meant to be.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I think the team is very close to being turned around. If RG3 is worth a damn, it will speed the process up exponentially.

Eh, i'm not really arguing that Shanny has lost it, I just have a bit of opposition to the idea that past success guarantees future glory. Shanahan winning a Super Bowl over a decade ago (with another team) means nothing now.

Shanahan has lost it though

bionic77

Yeah Cowher was way too conservative for too much of his career but the dude knew how to build a winning team. That is probably the most important job the FO and coaches have. Can you draft the right guys and then coach them up into good players and get the whole team playing the right way. Cowher did it a few times and won a bunch of different ways.

We will find that out about Tomlin the next 6-10 years as the old guys all retire or leave. So far all I know is that he sucks at halftime and in game adjustments. Arians might be to blame for that on offense. God that guy was horrible. No wonder he loves Ben so damn much, Ben made his career in Pitt by always bailing him out.

The one thing that can't be disputed is that Tomlin is a good looking man in a league filled with ugly ass coaches. Also great with the media. He should have a great 2nd career in broadcasting.

LiveWire

Their offensive line is a bit of a mess.

That's being kind, to say the least. And as for Shanahan, he definitely has lost it. Yea, he picked Cutler, but he also struck out on a lot of other guys. So far he hasn't hit on anyone he's drafted for the Redskins. He was fired from Denver for good reason. I didn't liked the hire from the beginning, and his fuckups with Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb cemented his failure in my opinion. Zorn was always destined to be in over his head, but at least the poor guy was trying to learn (while he was being thrown under the bus each week by Cerrato and other Redskins execs). I'm slowly starting to feel like we are entering Raiders territory here--except our owner's got another 40 years to live. :(

Godslay

Banned
No. The Redskins starter (Tim Hightower) is coming off of an ACL and may not be ready for the season opener. The next man in line, Roy Helu has two sore Achilles and has been sitting out of practice and their preseason games. So that leaves Evan Royster and Alfred Morris as possible starters if Hightower/Helu don't make it back by the beginning of the season.

Their offensive line is a bit of a mess. They have Trent Williams on the outside as probably their best lineman and even he hasn't looked great in the preseason. Peppers ate him alive in that last preseason game if memory serves. Gettis, Maurice Hurt and Mongomery in the interior are shaky and Polumbus is serviceable at best on the right hand side. If there's any one glaring weakness, it's the offensive line which has the propensity to affect RGIII this season as a rookie.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what's going on with Chris Chester and Kory Lichtensteiger. I think both are injured at the moment so that should improve the interior for them if they come back healthy.

Certain things have been addressed and I don't disagree that they are looking to possibly be better than they have been in a long while but it's not quite as rosy as all that.

I dont follow them closely or am I trying to paint a rosy picture. The thing I am trying to get across is that in areas that they were hurting, they tried to fix it. QB, WR, and they also drafted o linemen. RBs getting hurt isnt Shannies fault. I think they will be better this year than they were in the past, based on QB alone. That doesnt mean that they will have a wonderful playoff clenching season, just improved.

bionic77

Shanahan sucks as a head coach when you give him too much control but he would be an amazing offensive coordinator. Dude has such a a huge ego though that I can't see him doing that. He would just rather retire.

MechDX

Shanahan sucks as a head coach when you give him too much control but he would be an amazing offensive coordinator. Dude has such a a huge ego though that I can't see him doing that. He would just rather retire.

Hid disciple Kubiak is the same. Guy can plan an offensive scheme but sucks at HC duties.

i am color blind
coffee black and egg white
pull me OUT from inside!

I am ready
I am ready
I am ready
I am

Man, Beanie is finally going to make his debut and I'll miss the first hour or so because I have to work late this week. Ryan Williams is supposed to get an increased workload too :( Guess I'll have to rely on Twitter. Stud Washington will miss the game due to a death in the family, that has two starting LB's out of this game. Will the whole defense never play together?

I dont follow them closely or am I trying to paint a rosy picture. The thing I am trying to get across is that in areas that they were hurting, they tried to fix it. QB, WR, and they also drafted o linemen. RBs getting hurt isnt Shannies fault. I think they will be better this year than they were in the past, based on QB alone. That doesnt mean that they will have a wonderful playoff clenching season, just improved.

First off, clinch.

Second, what does RGIII being successful have to do with Shanahan? Guy gave away 20 draft picks to get him, it isn't like it's proof of fantastic scouting or something. It's not like Shanahan is a QB guru either.

Top Bottom