• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

McCarthy has the best QB in football. He should throw it every single down.

Of course he'd need to ditch the scrub who is starting in Harrell's place first.

Godslay

Banned
Second, what does RGIII being successful have to do with Shanahan? Guy gave away 20 draft picks to get him, it isn't like it's proof of fantastic scouting or something. It's not like Shanahan is a QB guru either.

Im not saying he is a qb guru. If RG3 is as good as advertised, they should immediately improve. I dont fault them for going after him either. It was a lot of picks but if he pans out its worth it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
First off, clinch.

Second, what does RGIII being successful have to do with Shanahan? Guy gave away 20 draft picks to get him, it isn't like it's proof of fantastic scouting or something. It's not like Shanahan is a QB guru either.

it should now be clench

Bowser

ESPN's John Clayton ranks the NFL QBs

Newton comes in at 15 in the "Chad Pennington Division," which is defined as "reserved for budding elites or quarterbacks who are good enough to take a team to the playoffs" (why budding elite QBs would be placed in a division named after Chad Pennington, no one knows).

I take a bit of exception to his ranking, but only based on his criteria. For example, he says to be in the "Elite" division, a QB must "[have] the ability to throw for 4,000 yards, complete 60 percent of his passes and generate more than 20 points a game." Um, last I checked, Newton meets those requirements. Also, I find it laughable that Flacco is considered in the "Elite" group while Cutler is in the Pennington division (granted, Flacco is at the end of the Elite group and Cutler is at the top of the Pennington division, so this may just be semantics, but still - it's laughable).

Thoughts?

Striker

Initial thought is, why did he have so many players "up"? Rodgers is #1, and he's rising.

Also, on Matt Ryan:

He has taken plenty of heat for losing three playoff games, but this should be the season he makes the playoffs and wins a game.
lol

Ryan, Flacco, and Vick too high. I would raise Newton, Dalton, Stafford, and Cutler, though.

Bowser

Initial thought is, why did he have so many players "up"? Rodgers is #1, and he's rising.

Yeah, I thought that as well. Why is Brady up but Brees flat? Why is Peyton flat (I think it's pretty clear that he should be down, at least based on everything we know and have seen from preseason - seems like he doesn't have a viable deep ball anymore)? Vick's arrow is up yet I think he's probably only got a few more years at an elite level left, and we may not even get to see those with his propensity to get injured. Matt Cassell up (I'd say flat)? Carson Palmer flat (definitely down)? It just seems like he had every QB as up, realized that sounds fucking stupid, then arbitrarily chose some QBs to be flat instead of up :|

Bowser

Because they're budding, which means they're not elite yet? Chad wasn't elite.

I never thought anyone regarded Chad Pennington as anything close to elite, even budding. I was more struck by the fact that he chose to name the division after Chad rather than, I dunno, a true budding elite QB from either the past or present (makes more sense to be a budding elite from the present but then it would look weird if, say, it was the Stafford division and Stafford was already in the Elite division). I don't know, I just never associated any QBs that were budding elites with Chad Pennington. Just seemed odd to me.

Man, that panther is so mean now.....totally going to get you like 3 more wins.

Ha, it's funny. At first, I was kind of meh-to-down on the new logo, but after a few months, I really like it and think it's a significant improvement on the old one:

rQBBG.gif

Rorschach

I never thought anyone regarded Chad Pennington as anything close to elite, even budding. I was more struck by the fact that he chose to name the division after Chad rather than, I dunno, a true budding elite QB from either the past or present (makes more sense to be a budding elite from the present but then it would look weird if, say, it was the Stafford division and Stafford was already in the Elite division). I don't know, I just never associated any QBs that were budding elites with Chad Pennington. Just seemed odd to me.

The division isn't for budding elites only. And no one ever said he was a budding elite.

The list sucks for reasons other than the names of the division.

Talon

I have to imagine it's a play on the fact that people imagined Chad Pennington was on the verge of bursting into Elite, when he was only above average.

13 Elite QBs?

Child, please.

It's AGod, Lady Brady, Brees, and Rapistberger's world. We're just passing through.

Bowser

The division isn't for budding elites only. And no one ever said he was a budding elite.

The list sucks for reasons other than the names of the division.

True, but I feel like the Elite division should be shorter (IMO, only Rodgers, Brady, Brees, E. Manning, and Roethlisberger are truly elite) and then placed the rest of his Elite division and a few from the Pennington division (Cutler, Newton, Dalton) into a separate division that was for solid and budding elite QBs. Then the true Pennington division could start with Fatman/Smith on down to the Hit-or-Miss division.

Milchjon

It's AGod, Lady Brady, Brees, and Rapistberger's world. We're just passing through.

Whut?
The only way you could call Roethlisberger elite is if you base it solely on his 2 SB wins, which means you'd have to put Eli ahead of him, who was more instrumental to his team's wins.

Also Peyton.

Bowser

Whut?
The only way you could call Roethlisberger elite is if you base it solely on his 2 SB wins, which means you'd have to put Eli ahead of him, who was more instrumental to his team's wins.

Also Peyton.

I think both E. Manning and Rapist are elite, but I'd have to put Peyton a shade below unless and until he proves he's back to his old self. This is a current ranking, not a future one (at least, I think it's supposed to be, then Clayton justifies Matty Ice as Elite because he "should win a playoff game this season").

Sanjuro

Ha, it's funny. At first, I was kind of meh-to-down on the new logo, but after a few months, I really like it and think it's a significant improvement on the old one:

rQBBG.gif

The new logo looks more Aladdin-esque.

harSon

Banned
Whut?

Also Peyton.

Lets see Eli put up the same numbers with a nonexistent running game and no pass blocking.

Bowser

Lets see Eli put up the same numbers with a nonexistent running game and no pass blocking.

Umm...you do realize the Giants had the WORST RANKED rushing offense last season, right (89.2 rushing ypg and 3.5 ypc)? I think that would qualify as nonexistant. Also, Future/Welli can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Giants had a shoddy o-line last season as well.

Striker

The Giants had the 32nd ranked run offense, and had the worst set of book-end tackles last year.

No runs over 40 yards, and just four runs altogether over 20 yards.

He did. I see you were absent for the 2011 season when the Giants ranked 32nd (that's last in the league by the way) in rushing and had an offensive line that was filled with injuries and featured two tackles who consistently ranked in the lower half of the league in pass blocking. Seeing as you missed it, Eli was completing passes on the run quite often (Ben doesn't have a trademark on this) and if you had watched the Niners game you could have seen where their front 7 decimated the Giants offensive line. Those 7 4th quarter comebacks were meaningless as well, right? Being that he had such a MONSTER team behind him!

People are either willfully dense or just outright ignorant for the sake of continuing the same bullshit "oh but he has a run game to lean on and GREAT offensive line!" meme.

Bowser said:
Umm...you do realize the Giants had the WORST RANKED rushing offense last season, right (89.2 rushing ypg and 3.5 ypc)? I think that would qualify as nonexistant. Also, Future/Welli can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Giants had a shoddy o-line last season as well.
100% on the money.

harSon

Banned

I said a combination of the two.

Roethlisberger has consistently been sacked 40+ times a season, and this number is deceiving considering he's easily the most elusive QB in the backfield once blocking has broken down.

Eli was sacked an above average amount, but almost in line with the rest of the league. He was ranked 20th in sacks. In today's league, it's easy to be a one dimensional pass oriented team if you're not behind the Steelers offensive line. There's no comparing the Giants and Steelers line, that shit was held together by a wet bandaid by seasons end.

harSon said:
In today's league, it's easy to be a one dimensional pass oriented team if you're not behind the Steelers offensive line. There's no comparing the Giants and Steelers line, that shit was held together by a wet bandaid by seasons end.
Which has what to do with the discussion of Eli or Ben's importance in winning their respective Super Bowls?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ESPN's John Clayton ranks the NFL QBs

Newton comes in at 15 in the "Chad Pennington Division," which is defined as "reserved for budding elites or quarterbacks who are good enough to take a team to the playoffs" (why budding elite QBs would be placed in a division named after Chad Pennington, no one knows).

Chad Pennington has the highest completion percentage in the history of the NFL (for anybody with at least 1500 throws). Best QB in Jets history!

harSon

Banned
Blaming the offensive line for the bulk of the Rapists sacks is hilariously laughable.

You guys are fucking annoying with this argument.

Yes, he holds onto the ball for too long and it results in sacks that wouldn't otherwise happen. But you guys conveniently hold onto that aspect of the argument without including the fact that he'd have been sacked a ton more times if he had the mobility and escape ability of an average NFL QB.

He breaks more sacks then he's responsible for, by a lot. End of story. I'm right and you're wrong.

eznark

Banned
You guys are fucking annoying with this argument.

Yes, he holds onto the ball for too long and it results in sacks that wouldn't otherwise happen. But you guys conveniently hold onto that aspect of the argument without including the fact that he'd have been sacked a ton more times if he had the mobility and escape ability of an average NFL QB.

He breaks more sacks then he's responsible for, by a lot. End of story. I'm right and you're wrong.

Prove it

Clayton is a cretin. Gabbert at 32 with arrow pointing down? Anyone who can say Gabbert's arrow is pointing down either has no clue how he's playing now or no clue how he played last year. Or, most likely, both.

Same thing for Ponder.

Having some semblance of an O-Line and a somewhat improved receiving core already has him looking way better.

Top Bottom