• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

squicken

i will admit alex needs to get better. he feasted on god awful defenses like the rams and saints, but struggled against decent D's like the ravens.

i'm confident with the new weapons we have and another year under his belt in this offense he will be able to produce better this year. and that sentence shows how far alex has come in a short time. when would you have ever thought alex would have a 90+ qb rating and get his team to the NFC title game and the expectation is that he's going to get better?

Kidding aside that run vs the Saints is still such a ballsy call, and Alex has the athleticism to run it. If they really do start using some spread concept running plays it could be amazing to see. I think the rules got clarified a bit to stop all that false start/shifting he was doing tho

if you made a superteam of the NFC west it would obviously be alex smith. if you made a superteam with the remaining 3 teams then i have no idea. every QB on those teams are raw fucking garbage or a complete unknown. you have kevin kolb, kevin kolb jr., tavaris jackson, aj feeley, sam grampsford, john skelton, etc.

what a sorry list of QB's. kaepernick, josh johnson and scott tolzien are better than all of them

No wonder Carlos Rogers looked so good last year.

Kidding aside that run vs the Saints is still such a ballsy call, and Alex has the athleticism to run it. If they really do start using some spread concept running plays it could be amazing to see. I think the rules got clarified a bit to stop all that false start/shifting he was doing tho

alex has always been a good athlete but when he got to the NFL he stopped running for whatever reason.

and that false start play we had was such bullshit. i obviously laughed about it at the time but come on everyone knows what it's designed to do. funny to see harbs defend it as if he doesn't realize why the opponents have a problem with it!

eznark

Banned
A good portion of the people participating in the "eat chicken" day are doing so to say fuck you to the mayors and government over reach.

Talon

A good portion of the people participating in the "eat chicken" day are doing so to say fuck you to the mayors and government over reach.
You realize there's no way you can quantify this (or vice versa)?

Anyways, yawn either way.

Sokantish

I don't really get how stuffing your face with chicken is a good way to show your problems with the government. If only these people actually did something of substance instead of just looking for an excuse to eat fast food.

LJ11

Read something that Harbs is putting in all sorts of motion-run-spread-Chip Kelly stuff. And after that run last year, and looking so awful against any decent defense, that's the right move. Alex can thrive as a poor man's Tebow
Where did you read this?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This time next month we will be 4 days away from real football
Gators have brains the size of a peanut. The season starts in 34 days!
EDIT: Actually, more like 39 days, who gives a fuck about the Cowboyz or Los Gigantes?
They sure as fuck don't answer their pm's about fantasy football.
Wait, so this is a real thing? People are going to CFA to support their political stance? The day I choose my lunch based upon my political affiliation is the day I give you permission to shoot me. Use a large caliber bullet, I don't want any chance of living through it and then becoming a political chess piece.

Read something that Harbs is putting in all sorts of motion-run-spread-Chip Kelly stuff. And after that run last year, and looking so awful against any decent defense, that's the right move. Alex can thrive as a poor man's Tebow
That's really interesting if true

squicken

Where did you read this?

When I posted that I kept looking for a link. I can't remember. It was some camp observation about them using "exotic motion" with backs and WRs in running plays. I added the Chip Kelly part b/c of the James connection.

This is not where I read it but he obviously saw the same thing

1) Committed to the Unconventional

One underlying theme presented while watching the full units work against each other: the offense was throwing everything it had out there. For an entire full-team portion of practice, each offensive group—be that the 1’s, the 2’s, or some mix of them and others—ran nothing but edge-of-the-playbook type of misdirection plays. Options from the shotgun, end-arounds coming under the QB, fakes off of those to designed boots and rolls … with each of the four QBs getting shots at running them, and the full stable of running backs and receivers in the mix. Adding to the odd-ball nature of the period were personnel combos that included defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs at tight end and linebacker Michael Wilhoite at fullback.

Granted, an isolated bit of practice, but spending a full chunk of time on this stuff shows some dedication to it and that it has a home in the playbook … and would it really be that strange? Considering the 49ers’ use of defensive players on offense in 2011 (Isaac Sopoaga, for example, spent 51 snaps as part of the offense) and that one of their most memorable plays of the season was a certain third-down boot in the final minutes of a playoff game.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/31/camp-tour-2012-santa-clara/

It sure sounds like spread stuff even if he's not calling it that

Wait, so this is a real thing? People are going to CFA to support their political stance? The day I choose my lunch based upon my political affiliation is the day I give you permission to shoot me. Use a large caliber bullet, I don't want any chance of living through it and then becoming a political chess piece.

Man, I wish I had a place to go to show my political statement. What does an airport say about me ? Maybe I'll eat a croissant there, what does that say about me?

I'm so confused about how to express my political views by doing stuff.

Man, I wish I had a place to go to show my political statement. What does an airport say about me ? Maybe I'll eat a croissant there, what does that say about me?

I'm so confused about how to express my political views by doing stuff.
Wear a Freeman Jersey infront of TacoBell while eating a fresh cut salad and drinking Naked juice if you really want to express something.

if you made a superteam of the NFC west it would obviously be alex smith. if you made a superteam with the remaining 3 teams then i have no idea. every QB on those teams are raw fucking garbage or a complete unknown. you have kevin kolb, kevin kolb jr., tavaris jackson, aj feeley, sam grampsford, john skelton, etc.

what a sorry list of QB's. kaepernick, josh johnson and scott tolzien are better than all of them

It's so cute to see you continue to pretend that Alexis is a legit QB. All based off of a good QB rating that came from ultra conservative play and far fewer throws than other top QB's and far fewer passing TD's. You can be pleased that he didn't lose you games last year, no issue there, but to say he's a good QB is still laughable. He has a great coach, that's it. Now that he has some decent WR's to throw to, Alexis will actually start passing and will be fully exposed this year. It will be a contributing factor to why the Niners do not win as many games this season.

It's so cute to see you continue to pretend that Alexis is a legit QB. All based off of a good QB rating that came from ultra conservative play and far fewer throws than other top QB's and far fewer passing TD's. You can be pleased that he didn't lose you games last year, no issue there, but to say he's a good QB is still laughable. He has a great coach, that's it. Now that he has some decent WR's to throw to, Alexis will actually start passing and will be fully exposed this year. It will be a contributing factor to why the Niners do not win as many games this season.

1. never said alex was a top QB
2. alex is the most legit QB in the division and he still has the same coach
3. we have decent wr's now but look at last year by our final playoff game he was throwing to crabtree, kyle williams, joe hastings and brett swain. lulz
4. of course alex had less throws. we had a new coaching staff in place and no off-season. we opened it up more as the season went on and he had more success

maybe we don't win 13 games this year but if you disagree that we are by far the best team in the division you are delusional

Godslay

Banned
The Myth: Peyton Manning is the Denver Broncos' savior.

The Truth: Peyton Manning quarterbacks the third-best team in the AFC West.

Who's the fourth best? I hope it isn't the Raiders...

If Matt Cassel is your QB, expect to be the fourth best. Even with all the talent at WR, it doesn't matter when Cassel is back there shitting the place up.

I think it will be close between Denver and SD for the division, but I give the edge to Fox over Norv. Fox has done more with less talent. Norv has had plenty of talent, but consistently fails.

Raiders have a lot of talent, but I think that Palmer and a rookie coach will hold them back a bit.

Wear a Freeman Jersey infront of TacoBell while eating a fresh cut salad and drinking Naked juice if you really want to express something.

Doesn't that mean that I'm pro-meth or pro-anorexia since Josh clearly is either a meth addict or throwing up all his food.

So confusing.

LJ11

When I posted that I kept looking for a link. I can't remember. It was some camp observation about them using "exotic motion" with backs and WRs in running plays. I added the Chip Kelly part b/c of the James connection.

This is not where I read it but he obviously saw the same thing

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/31/camp-tour-2012-santa-clara/

It sure sounds like spread stuff even if he's not calling it that

Interesting. I thought you had something more concrete, reason being that Chip was making the NFL rounds during OTAs, spent some time with the Bills. Is he trying to get a better feel for what goes on behind the scenes in the NFL, he did flirt with Tampa, or is he helping NFL teams implement faster tempo/no huddle attacks, or both?

I really wonder what these guys show during camp, these reporters are shit, at least the Bills ones. I've only seen one guy mention no-huddle packages, which they were doing a lot of late last season. Most of these beat writers have no idea, they just report on the battles/who fucked up/who made a nice play etc.

Nightz

If Matt Cassel is your QB, expect to be the fourth best. Even with all the talent at WR, it doesn't matter when Cassel is back there shitting the place up.

I think it will be close between Denver and SD for the division, but I give the edge to Fox over Norv. Fox has done more with less talent. Norv has had plenty of talent, but consistently fails.

Raiders have a lot of talent, but I think that Palmer and a rookie coach will hold them back a bit.

I think you're not giving KC enough credit. Cassel sucks, yes. But you have 3 guys coming back from injury that help the team in Charles, Moeaki and Berry. Those guys can be game changers if fully healthy. I expect a 3 horse race in the west, with the Raiders at 0-16.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Interesting. I thought you had something more concrete, reason being that Chip was making the NFL rounds during OTAs, spent some time with the Bills. Is he trying to get a better feel for what goes on behind the scenes in the NFL, he did flirt with Tampa, or is he helping NFL teams implement faster tempo/no huddle attacks, or both?

I really wonder what these guys show during camp, these reporters are shit, at least the Bills ones. I've only seen one guy mention no-huddle packages, which they were doing a lot of late last season. Most of these beat writers have no idea, they just report on the battles/who fucked up/who made a nice play etc.

That's funny. I've read articles about the Steelers practicing no-huddle with 21 personnel.

squicken

Interesting. I thought you had something more concrete, reason being that Chip was making the NFL rounds during OTAs, spent some time with the Bills. Is he trying to get a better feel for what goes on behind the scenes in the NFL, is he helping NFL teams, or a little of both.

I really wonder what these guys show during camp, these reporters are shit, at least the Bills ones. I've only seen one guy mention no-huddle packages, which they were doing a lot of late last season. Most of these beat writers have no idea.

He did have that secret interview with TB that went public. Rams reached out and may or my not have interview him as well. Would have been a non-starter as they were always after Fisher.

I have zero doubt he wants to see if his stuff works in the NFL. But he'll need the right QB. Haven't seen enough of Geno Smith to know if he's a candidate.

LJ11

That's funny. I've read articles about the Steelers practicing no-huddle with 21 personnel.

It's coming. You want more reps in practice, speed up the attack and you'll have more reps. Obviously puts the D on its heals, harder to sub. I expect it to be the norm in the future.

He did have that secret interview with TB that went public. Rams reached out and may or my not have interview him as well. Would have been a non-starter as they were always after Fisher.

I have zero doubt he wants to see if his stuff works in the NFL. But he'll need the right QB. Haven't seen enough of Geno Smith to know if he's a candidate.

Smith's an intriguing player. He looked awful at times in years past, awful at times last season, but looked very good at the tail end of the season. Read an interview with Holgorsen recently where he knocked east coast players, they don't get enough practice time in school, don't partake in 7 on 7 summer leagues, few passing drills, so he had more to teach when he got to West Virginia. Not sure if any of it applies to Smith, especially since he grew up in Florida where football is life,

1. never said alex was a top QB
2. alex is the most legit QB in the division and he still has the same coach
3. we have decent wr's now but look at last year by our final playoff game he was throwing to crabtree, kyle williams, joe hastings and brett swain. lulz
4. of course alex had less throws. we had a new coaching staff in place and no off-season. we opened it up more as the season went on and he had more success

maybe we don't win 13 games this year but if you disagree that we are by far the best team in the division you are delusional

I've seen you gush often enough about Alex but it's fine, I'm happy he's your starting QB. I hope it stays that way and you never get a real QB. The rest of your team is good enough to ensure you can't draft one so I suppose you're stuck choosing to believe he can be good. I'm not disagreeing with your other points, I'm just saying that looking at all factors, having a 90 QB rating doesn't mean he played particularly well at the position, he just didn't throw games away. I just don't believe he's a good player and I think seeing him have to take more throws this year will reveal that beyond a doubt. We shall see but I look forward to watching the Niners take a drop this year :) While I concede you are the favorites at this point, I do not feel that the Niners are better by far, I would not be surprised if we beat you out for the division this year but I think it more likely a bit later when we actually know who the hell our starting QB is without a doubt. Might have one more topsy turvy season figuring that out for good, this is Kolb's last chance. That said, our D will be phenomenal and give us a chance to win despite who's behind center much like the Niners. We will be competitive.

Godslay

Banned
I think you're not giving KC enough credit. Cassel sucks, yes. But you have 3 guys coming back from injury that help the team in Charles, Moeaki and Berry. Those guys can be game changers if fully healthy. I expect a 3 horse race in the west, with the Raiders at 0-16.

2 of the three are dependent on what Cassel does. Moeaki especially. If a team can either build up a lead, or stop the run Charles becomes less and less of a gamebreaker, due to the fact that Cassel will have to throw and make plays.

The problem in my eyes with KC, is that they do have a decent defense it really doesn't matter if your offense can't hang points. Let's say for the sake of argument that Rivers knocks out 2 TDs on KC, would you put your faith in Cassel to be able to strike back? I don't, even with Charles. As long as you can stop the run with some consistency and you have somewhat of secondary, KC isn't coming back. If you have a lead you can also bring the pass rush which Cassel does not do well with.

I might be way off, but mediocre teams with great QBs do better than talented teams with shitty QBs. It's still the blueprint imo.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's coming. You want more reps in practice, speed up the attack and you'll have more reps. Obviously puts the D on its heals, harder to sub. I expect it to be the norm in the future.

Yeah, but from 21 personnel? 11, sure. 10, all the time. I'm guessing the Steelers will want David Johnson playing FB so he can at least line up at TE, but then you're in 12 personnel, another wonky no huddle situation. The no-huddle, smashmouth approach. That Haley is a genius!

I've seen you gush often enough about Alex but it's fine, I'm happy he's your starting QB. I hope it stays that way and you never get a real QB. The rest of your team is good enough to ensure you can't draft one so I suppose you're stuck choosing to believe he can be good. I'm not disagreeing with your other points, I'm just saying that looking at all factors, having a 90 QB rating doesn't mean he played particularly well at the position, he just didn't throw games away. I just don't believe he's a good player and I think seeing him have to take more throws this year will reveal that beyond a doubt. We shall see but I look forward to watching the Niners take a drop this year :) While I concede you are the favorites at this point, I do not feel that the Niners are better by far, I would not be surprised if we beat you out for the division this year but I think it more likely a bit later when we actually know who the hell our starting QB is without a doubt. Might have one more topsy turvy season figuring that out for good, this is Kolb's last chance. That said, our D will be phenomenal and give us a chance to win despite who's behind center much like the Niners. We will be competitive.

ok, what indication am i supposed to use to tell me who is the best QB in the division? alex smith had the most wins, the most TD passes, the most yards, the best qb rating and the least amount of turnovers (with a minimum of 200 passes attempted). i mean what else am i supposed to base it on?

i realize people love a good bust, especially when he's on a division rival, but the bottom line is alex smith is the best qb in the division. now if he bombs this year then fine, but people are desperate to make excuses for his success when every other QB in the division HAS HAD NO SUCCESS!

and your D isn't phenomenal. i'm not sure where that's coming from. you were 17th or worse in every major statistical category on defense. BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BUT IT WAS A NEW DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND WE ARE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER! funny how you can make that argument for the cardinals defense if you choose but when the niners are working with a new offense there is no possibility it will get better.

i think the cards will be competitive. that is their problem though. they really aren't a good team but they're going to get a few wins here and there and finish with 6-8 wins, preventing them from getting any elite talent in the draft

LJ11

Yeah, but from 21 personnel? 11, sure. 10, all the time. I'm guessing the Steelers will want David Johnson playing FB so he can at least line up at TE, but then you're in 12 personnel, another wonky no huddle situation. The no-huddle, smashmouth approach. That Haley is a genius!

Auburn does it, or did it with Cam. Guess it depends on how versatile your players are. If you have a good TE you can flex out and another good pass catching back, a Sproles for example, you can motion him out and be in a one back set easily.

A team like the Jets is vulnerable to this sort of thing, they love to get big and slow when they see 21, and sub quickly when they see an extra receiver, plus they have all those sub blitz packages. If you have the personnel (two versatile backs, good TE) you can catch them in that heavy d, motion guys around and gash them until they manage to sub or call a TO.

Possibilities really are endless if you have versatility.

I'm ready!

1343861128321.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Auburn does it, or did it with Cam. Guess it depends on how versatile your players are. If you have a good TE you can flex out and another good pass catching back, a Sproles for example, you can motion him out and be in a one back set easily.

A team like the Jets is vulnerable to this sort of thing, they love to get big and slow when they see 21, and sub quickly when they see an extra receiver, plus they have all those sub blitz packages. If you have the personnel (two versatile backs, good TE) you can catch them in that heavy d, motion guys around and gash them until they manage to sub or call a TO.

Possibilities really are endless if you have versatility.
True. But the Steelers don't have said versatility. Rainey isn't going to stay in and block. Johnson won't be running with the ball. I'm thinking more along the lines of what Wheeden and OSU were doing: running west coast no-huddle. But they were in 10 mostly. And fell in love with comeback routes...
Can I come over and watch some 3D porn?

LJ11

True. But the Steelers don't have said versatility. Rainey isn't going to stay in and block. Johnson won't be running with the ball. I'm thinking more along the lines of what Wheeden and OSU were doing: running west coast no-huddle. But they were in 10 mostly. And fell in love with comeback routes...

Can I come over and watch some 3D porn?

Right, but they could use two RBs instead a FB, they're probably practicing with Johnson so all we can do is create what ifs at this point. Can always put Rainey in the slot, may be a better receiver than runner anyway.

Bills used Fred Jackson as an H-Back during the second half of the Raiders game. Spiller was the main back with Jackson lead blocking, they must have netted 60 yards on 3 plays. Didn't do it again the rest of the season however, but that was probably due to injuries.

Top Bottom