• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

G-Fex

Are you seriously saying that Nintendo fanboys are the reason for Sony's downfall?

1325271751_c0c81a2284.jpg

"Mission complete".

pfft Sony will never EVER have cool shit like the Power Glove or R.O.B.

Around The League made an early list for veterans that have been consistently impressive in training camp so far.

1. Kyle Rudolph, Minnesota Vikings TE: Perhaps no player has received more love letters from media and coaches than Rudolph. NFL Network's Michelle Beisner said Rudolph has been the team's "MVP" according to team insiders. During one practice, he was listed as "option No. 1, 3 and 5" for quarterback Christian Ponder.

We'd be stunned if Rudolph wasn't option 1A behind Percy Harvin for the Vikings this year.

2. Jonathan Baldwin, Kansas City Chiefs WR: He's taking advantage of Dwayne Bowe's absence. We care less about all the "newfound maturity" talk. We like hearing more about the jaw-dropping plays we heard about each day. Last year's camp for Baldwin was a nightmare.

3. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers TE: Ian Rapoport of NFL Network joined the chorus of observers that have said Gates looks healthier and quicker than he has in years. The proof is in the practice reports. Gates isn't sidelined or recovering for the first time in years.

4. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons WR: Pat Yasinksas said Jones is the most dominant player he's seen at any training camp. There is no hole in Jones' game. He's ready to pass Roddy White in Atlanta and can be a top-five wideout starting now.

5. Aaron Hernandez, New England Patriots TE: It was the "summer of Gronk" but it may be the season of Hernandez. Cornerbacks aren't big enough to cover Hernandez; no one else is quick enough because he runs routes like a wideout. With Brandon Lloyd also impressing in camp, the Patriots are loaded with weapons.

I really think Rudolph is going to break out this year in a big way.

Colasante

Hernandez will have a better season than Gronk.

He was the best TE in college and would have went in the 1st if not for weed.

I don't know about that. If Hernandez' production rises this year, it'll probably come more at the expense of Welker than Gronk. Gronk will continue to be the #1 red zone target, I imagine.

I don't know about that. If Hernandez' production rises this year, it'll probably come more at the expense of Welker than Gronk. Gronk will continue to be the #1 red zone target, I imagine.

I think the cheat will do everything he can to hurt Welkers numbers this year.

squicken

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Wow, @AdamSchefter now reporting doctors believe #Giants CB Terrell Thomas' ACL is NOT torn & he play may this year:

BigAT

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Wow, @AdamSchefter now reporting doctors believe #Giants CB Terrell Thomas' ACL is NOT torn & he play may this year:

Do they mean it's not fully torn or at all? Because they have been saying for a while now that it's "only" a partial tear, but even that takes several months to come back from and it is hard to imagine the process being any faster on a knee that has already had two torn ACLs.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Really happy for T2 is that's true. Not even selfishly for wanting him on the field either. It would be a damn shame to his football career end at 27.

Do they mean it's not fully torn or at all? Because they have been saying for a while now that it's "only" a partial tear, but even that takes several months to come back from and it is hard to imagine the process being any faster on a knee that has already had two torn ACLs.
It would mean that a good portion of the ACL Is salvageable though which mean the recovery wouldn't be nearly as bad as if there was nothing left of the thing.

Yeah its kind of a silly term to employ, but who cares? BigAT obviously, but come on.

What would you prefer them to say, 2nd years and up? Who gives a fuck?

Oh and Ponder is going to surprise people this year.

"Surprise everyone by how shitty he is!" Shut up.

BigAT

"Sophomores"? It just seems silly to have a list where 4 of the guys have 5 years playing time COMBINED, then Antonio Gates and have them in the same experience category.

Schefter is saying that doctors who have examined him do not believe that Thomas tore his ACL which is why there's some comments that he could play this year. Coughlin was asked to comment and said that while he has hope, he has information that counters that hope.

Thomas is on his way for a third opinion.

DMczaf

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ims-goodell-comments-blown-out-of-proportion/

“I’m not going to comment further on it,” Brees said. “If there’s any dialogue that would need to take place, I would talk to the commissioner directly. By no means was that meant to be disrespectful. I was asked a direct question about how the players felt and I gave a very honest and direct answer. I think it was blown out of proportion a little bit when the headlines say I was blasting the commissioner. No, that wasn’t the case. That was really all I said and I really have nothing else to say about it.”

drewQ.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Well, fiance's brother is visiting from Ecuador, so luckily the Panthers are playing in town so he can experience a semi-NFL game.

ok, what indication am i supposed to use to tell me who is the best QB in the division? alex smith had the most wins, the most TD passes, the most yards, the best qb rating and the least amount of turnovers (with a minimum of 200 passes attempted). i mean what else am i supposed to base it on?

i realize people love a good bust, especially when he's on a division rival, but the bottom line is alex smith is the best qb in the division. now if he bombs this year then fine, but people are desperate to make excuses for his success when every other QB in the division HAS HAD NO SUCCESS!

and your D isn't phenomenal. i'm not sure where that's coming from. you were 17th or worse in every major statistical category on defense. BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BU BUT IT WAS A NEW DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND WE ARE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER! funny how you can make that argument for the cardinals defense if you choose but when the niners are working with a new offense there is no possibility it will get better.

i think the cards will be competitive. that is their problem though. they really aren't a good team but they're going to get a few wins here and there and finish with 6-8 wins, preventing them from getting any elite talent in the draft

The only correct answer is that there isn't a good QB in our division at this point. I feel Skelton at least has potential which is more than I feel for Alex, but Kolb will have to be gone before Skelton can fully develop. Your comment about NFC West super team didn't prompt my comment on it's own, it was more comments made all off season.

To me Alex is already a bust, he's had enough time in this league but if he turns it all around this year, I'll give him credit and the coach even more. It would be quite the feat to make Alex Smith a good QB. It's fair to say no one else in the division has a good or proven QB, I just don't feel Smith should get any credit either.

Our D will absolutely be fantastic this year and you didn't pay attention to shit if you feel otherwise. I will be utterly stunned if we aren't top 10 this year and we'll be moving into top 5 sooner than later. To have an understanding of where our D will be this year, you have to look at the final stretch of the season, not the entire season records. Indeed, the D coordinator change had us at a slow start. He straight up yanked the entire play book in week 3 vs Seattle because it was too complex to absorb without the off season. They slowly started digesting it and incorporating it more and more and next thing you know, they are the reason we win 7 of the last 9 games. Washington said they had about 60 percent down by the end of the season...I can only imagine now that they should have 100 percent, how much damage they will do. Dockett didn't' buy into the system and his new role until the end of the season much like Vernon Davis was lost in the new offense and I expect him to have a much better year this season. We finally put in Schofield and Acho over old man Porter and Haggans at the end of the season and our sacks start shooting up. I believe we ranked 7th in the league for that end stretch and we were 2nd in the league in defending the red zone! Acho ended up with 7 sacks I want to say, just from the last handful of games. Our defense is pressure by committee so offenses can't ever plan for us, they can't pick out one or two single dominating defensive players to watch out for. You never know where the sack will come from. Patrick Peterson made large strides over the season and will be much better this year. We have Rhodes and Toler back which will help a lot. I can go on and on. Cardinals D will be something to fear going forth and it's nearly all built with youth, they'll be great a LONG time.

Your offense has improved in WR talent and having an off season to adjust to Harbraugh's schemes. Vernon Davis will be much better this year as I said before. The main reason I continue to slam the Niner offense is that I think Alex Smith is garbage and he has yet to prove me wrong. This will be his make or break year in that light in that he actually has some talent to throw to and a great coach so there are no excuses left. I likewise call this Kolb's make or break year though this is literal in his case as he'll be a backup for the rest of his career if he fails. He has the weapons and a great D to keep us in the game. P2 will provide good to great field position anytime the other team is stupid enough to kick to him (or better yet, he scores). With the off season there are no excuses left for him. Of course this is all if he can keep his ass on the field to begin with.

I'm fine with being competitive right now until the QB situation shakes out. Our D will be good enough that we really only need a solid QB, not a great one. We'll find out if Kolb can do that this year or not but I still have faith in Skelton if Kolb doesn't pan out.

squicken

You better hope Kolb wins that job. Skelton is crazy inaccurate. And if I was going to predict by the end of the year who would be the division's best QB, it would be Flynn

The only correct answer is that there isn't a good QB in our division at this point. I feel Skelton at least has potential which is more than I feel for Alex, but Kolb will have to be gone before Skelton can fully develop. Your comment about NFC West super team didn't prompt my comment on it's own, it was more comments made all off season.

To me Alex is already a bust, he's had enough time in this league but if he turns it all around this year, I'll give him credit and the coach even more. It would be quite the feat to make Alex Smith a good QB. It's fair to say no one else in the division has a good or proven QB, I just don't feel Smith should get any credit either.

Our D will absolutely be fantastic this year and you didn't pay attention to shit if you feel otherwise. I will be utterly stunned if we aren't top 10 this year and we'll be moving into top 5 sooner than later. To have an understanding of where our D will be this year, you have to look at the final stretch of the season, not the entire season records. Indeed, the D coordinator change had us at a slow start. He straight up yanked the entire play book in week 3 vs Seattle because it was too complex to absorb without the off season. They slowly started digesting it and incorporating it more and more and next thing you know, they are the reason we win 7 of the last 9 games. Washington said they had about 60 percent down by the end of the season...I can only imagine now that they should have 100 percent, how much damage they will do. Dockett didn't' buy into the system and his new role until the end of the season much like Vernon Davis was lost in the new offense and I expect him to have a much better year this season. We finally put in Schofield and Acho over old man Porter and Haggans at the end of the season and our sacks start shooting up. I believe we ranked 7th in the league for that end stretch and we were 2nd in the league in defending the red zone! Acho ended up with 7 sacks I want to say, just from the last handful of games. Our defense is pressure by committee so offenses can't ever plan for us, they can't pick out one or two single dominating defensive players to watch out for. You never know where the sack will come from. Patrick Peterson made large strides over the season and will be much better this year. We have Rhodes and Toler back which will help a lot. I can go on and on. Cardinals D will be something to fear going forth and it's nearly all built with youth, they'll be great a LONG time.

Your offense has improved in WR talent and having an off season to adjust to Harbraugh's schemes. Vernon Davis will be much better this year as I said before. The main reason I continue to slam the Niner offense is that I think Alex Smith is garbage and he has yet to prove me wrong. This will be his make or break year in that light in that he actually has some talent to throw to and a great coach so there are no excuses left. I likewise call this Kolb's make or break year though this is literal in his case as he'll be a backup for the rest of his career if he fails. He has the weapons and a great D to keep us in the game. P2 will provide good to great field position anytime the other team is stupid enough to kick to him (or better yet, he scores). With the off season there are no excuses left for him. Of course this is all if he can keep his ass on the field to begin with.

I'm fine with being competitive right now until the QB situation shakes out. Our D will be good enough that we really only need a solid QB, not a great one. We'll find out if Kolb can do that this year or not but I still have faith in Skelton if Kolb doesn't pan out.

sorry but alex smith isn't a bust. a disappointment as a #1 pick? fine. but a bust is ryan leaf. a bust is jamarcus russell. a bust is akilli smith. alex isn't on that level. alex has been a decent qb pretty much every year after his rookie season. nothing great, but he has been ok. he is a middle of the pack QB. he is the best QB in the division.

and your D will not be a top 10 defense in the league this year. you have some decent pieces but the numbers speak for themselves. you can talk about your last few games all you want, but you played some shitty teams. the rams twice, the browns.... come on, you aren't going to hang your hat on that.

another issue with your D is actually your offense. our defense was so good last year not only because of the talent we have but because our offense never put them in bad spots and our special teams performed so well. the cardinals have neither of those things. your offense was near the bottom of the league in turnovers and what do you think that does to a defense?

people laugh at alex saying "well of course he only had 7 total turnovers cause he doesn't take any chances!" but as the season went on he got more comfortable and took more chances. i just don't see the cards minimizing their turnovers on offense and their D isn't good enough to withstand that 2 or 3 turnover game.

but all this talk about last season means nothing! we'll know soon enough what each team is bringing to the table this year

I have Alex Smith on the same level as Reggie Bush. Massive disapointments until last season. Bush rushes for 1000 yards? Smith leads his team to the NFCC game? They both bought themselves some time.

I have Alex Smith on the same level as Reggie Bush. Massive disapointments until last season. Bush rushes for 1000 yards? Smith leads his team to the NFCC game? They both bought themselves some time.

and not even alex smiths biggest fan would disagree with "massive disappointment" to this point in his career. but i think people don't know what the term bust means.

peypey is what you hope your #1 pick turns out to be. jamarcus is what you hope he doesn't turn out to be. alex is neither one of those guys.

Bush had the Motivation of knowing if he did bad he would be traded for a slice of pizza. Those PizzaHut commericals did him wonders

It's amazing how over the course of a few short months Brees was able to transform his image from an elite stat-whore to a bitch-made whiner. Good thing Stafford also broke the Marino record in the same year to show how pointless it is now and that pretty much any chump can do it.

So, I finally got on the smart phone wagon. Just curious about what apps you guys use for scores, upsates, and such. Even apps in general you use.

Top Bottom