• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

I haven't been playing any games for alittle while, and as of now I'm pretty sure I'm not about to pay just for Netflix smh

I'll miss u Netflix

PC hdmi out to TV. Even if you have a shitty old PC around this will work. It just needs hdmi out and an internet connection. Or you could look into Roku or any similar devices.

sorry but alex smith isn't a bust. a disappointment as a #1 pick? fine. but a bust is ryan leaf. a bust is jamarcus russell. a bust is akilli smith. alex isn't on that level. alex has been a decent qb pretty much every year after his rookie season. nothing great, but he has been ok. he is a middle of the pack QB. he is the best QB in the division.

and your D will not be a top 10 defense in the league this year. you have some decent pieces but the numbers speak for themselves. you can talk about your last few games all you want, but you played some shitty teams. the rams twice, the browns.... come on, you aren't going to hang your hat on that.

another issue with your D is actually your offense. our defense was so good last year not only because of the talent we have but because our offense never put them in bad spots and our special teams performed so well. the cardinals have neither of those things. your offense was near the bottom of the league in turnovers and what do you think that does to a defense?

people laugh at alex saying "well of course he only had 7 total turnovers cause he doesn't take any chances!" but as the season went on he got more comfortable and took more chances. i just don't see the cards minimizing their turnovers on offense and their D isn't good enough to withstand that 2 or 3 turnover game.

but all this talk about last season means nothing! we'll know soon enough what each team is bringing to the table this year

You're right, I shouldn't have used the word Bust, I completely agree with you on where it's appropriate to use that word. I think I let disdain for a Niner player bolster my terminology beyond what it should have been. I don't think he's ever been decent before this last season and I still don't even want to give him even that much because of how conservative the offense was. As I said before, this will be the season where it's truly judge-able as to whether he can be a decent QB in this league or not. Right now, I think he's garbage that gets bailed out by a good D and ST.

You're right, the numbers do speak for themselves and they were pretty damn good. You're still looking at the whole season which has ZERO relevance as to where we'll be this year for the reasons I stated in the last post. There are reasons we took off in the last stretch and it wasn't just low competition. Hell, it's funny to even here that used against us when we started 1-6, who didn't think we were a bottom feeder before the win streak? There's a lot more to observing where a D is at than just end game statistics. Sure they were crap teams, but I can still watch the players and see if they look like they know what they are doing, if they seem to be following a planned scheme rather than just running loose. If players are sticking to their role and providing support they way they should. Our guys really started to get it together once they started absorbing the playbook and we injected youth into the starting positions. Also, we played some garbage teams but we still went up against some elite players such as Gore and Jackson. Gore had one good play, we otherwise largely contained him and you guys had to resort to 80 FG's which allowed us to stay in the game and win. I do indeed not hang my hat on the teams we beat and that's why I'm ecstatic to test our mettle against some of the top offenses in the league in the Pack and Patriots, both in their respective stadiums. I would have preferred to play the Patriots a little later to get acclimated but maybe the Pats won't have all cannons firing just yet either. In any case, we play some good teams this year and will have some great tests.

Our offense can only be better this year and it should, but our D still kept us in every game and won many at the end. It certainly doesn't help, having your D play such heavy minutes but they held up and our O should be better with better weapons, players coming back like Ryan Williams, and Kolb and Skelton having their first off season with the team. As for the Niners, the D gets a HUGE boost from ST. I really have to hand it to your ST in where they pin the ball every kick off. Every team has an uphill battle and it makes life easy for your D. Not to say the D isn't good on it's own merit, a bad D would give up 99 yards for a TD, but it certainly makes things a lot easier and I wonder just how good your D would be without it. So yes, I agree with what you said there and I believe I made a comment to you last year about your team reminding me a bit of the San Antonio Spurs in that your game is to keep points low and control the clock. A very conservative, but with the right tools, effective, strategy. Also, your D had an absurd amount of turnovers which isn't even remotely repeatable. A lot of that was luck and it's one reason why there's no way in hell you win 13 again. A great D, but a lot of balls bounced your way and you can't count on that again.

Indeed, I can't wait for the season to begin!

PC hdmi out to TV. Even if you have a shitty old PC around this will work. It just needs hdmi out and an internet connection. Or you could look into Roku or any similar devices.
Yeahhh I don't actually have a laptop to my own or pc laying around lol, I'm on a iPod right now. never heard of Roku before, might check it out. I'll eventual figure something out or cave back into xbox live -_- smh. Atleast until i forsake xbox and let Wii U consume me

Yeahhh I don't actually have a laptop to my own or pc laying around lol, I'm on a iPod right now. never heard of Roku before, might check it out. I'll eventual figure something out or cave back into xbox live -_- smh. Atleast until i forsake xbox and let Wii U consume me

cant you get it on an ipod?

bionic77

Any Steelers training camp news of note
Big Ben is optimistic that Mike Wallace is going to come back soon.

Ben also said his rotator cuff is partially torn and that it is sore but he can still throw fine and then he later said he is pain free.

So basically nothing.

Man I am digging Mountain Lion a lot. This new Air is by far the best computer I have ever had. I only wish that I could get Verizon 4G without a cap. I could go through 5 gigs in a few hours if I wanted.

jakncoke

Banned
Big Ben is optimistic that Mike Wallace is going to come back soon.

Ben also said his rotator cuff is partially torn and that it is sore but he can still throw fine and then he later said he is pain free.

So basically nothing.

Man I am digging Mountain Lion a lot. This new Air is by far the best computer I have ever had. I only wish that I could get Verizon 4G without a cap. I could go through 5 gigs in a few hours if I wanted.

I dont like the sounds of that, did it happen during training camp

I'm pretty sure the Wii has (480p) Netflix access for free, I don't see any reason that the Wii U wont have 720p for free too. You might as well wait if you are sure you are going to buy a Wii U

I'm pretty sure the Wii has (480p) Netflix access for free, I don't see any reason that the Wii U wont have 720p for free too. You might as well wait if you are sure you are going to buy a Wii U
I might get one around launch if i have some extra money(could be my fantasy winnings), but for now I'm going to look for free xbox live codes lol

bionic77

I dont like the sounds of that, did it happen during training camp
Happened last year. Probably against Ravens or the fucking Browns (both of these teams always hurt key players on our team).

Keep in mind that Ben is not an actual physician and he is prone to getting the diagnosis wrong. I am not worried about it. He was supposedly throwing the ball just fine. Every qb is one awkward hit to their shoulder away from being done for the season.

One other thing I forgot to add. Haley is focusing on the run and check downs in the offense so far in practice. Haley really wants Ben to check down to the back if his first or second read is not there. Ben kind of wants to scramble and go through his first 5 reads twice before checking down. Be interesting to see who wins that debate.

You're right, I shouldn't have used the word Bust, I completely agree with you on where it's appropriate to use that word. I think I let disdain for a Niner player bolster my terminology beyond what it should have been. I don't think he's ever been decent before this last season and I still don't even want to give him even that much because of how conservative the offense was. As I said before, this will be the season where it's truly judge-able as to whether he can be a decent QB in this league or not. Right now, I think he's garbage that gets bailed out by a good D and ST.

You're right, the numbers do speak for themselves and they were pretty damn good. You're still looking at the whole season which has ZERO relevance as to where we'll be this year for the reasons I stated in the last post. There are reasons we took off in the last stretch and it wasn't just low competition. Hell, it's funny to even here that used against us when we started 1-6, who didn't think we were a bottom feeder before the win streak? There's a lot more to observing where a D is at than just end game statistics. Sure they were crap teams, but I can still watch the players and see if they look like they know what they are doing, if they seem to be following a planned scheme rather than just running loose. If players are sticking to their role and providing support they way they should. Our guys really started to get it together once they started absorbing the playbook and we injected youth into the starting positions. Also, we played some garbage teams but we still went up against some elite players such as Gore and Jackson. Gore had one good play, we otherwise largely contained him and you guys had to resort to 80 FG's which allowed us to stay in the game and win. I do indeed not hang my hat on the teams we beat and that's why I'm ecstatic to test our mettle against some of the top offenses in the league in the Pack and Patriots, both in their respective stadiums. I would have preferred to play the Patriots a little later to get acclimated but maybe the Pats won't have all cannons firing just yet either. In any case, we play some good teams this year and will have some great tests.

Our offense can only be better this year and it should, but our D still kept us in every game and won many at the end. It certainly doesn't help, having your D play such heavy minutes but they held up and our O should be better with better weapons, players coming back like Ryan Williams, and Kolb and Skelton having their first off season with the team. As for the Niners, the D gets a HUGE boost from ST. I really have to hand it to your ST in where they pin the ball every kick off. Every team has an uphill battle and it makes life easy for your D. Not to say the D isn't good on it's own merit, a bad D would give up 99 yards for a TD, but it certainly makes things a lot easier and I wonder just how good your D would be without it. So yes, I agree with what you said there and I believe I made a comment to you last year about your team reminding me a bit of the San Antonio Spurs in that your game is to keep points low and control the clock. A very conservative, but with the right tools, effective, strategy. Also, your D had an absurd amount of turnovers which isn't even remotely repeatable. A lot of that was luck and it's one reason why there's no way in hell you win 13 again. A great D, but a lot of balls bounced your way and you can't count on that again.

Indeed, I can't wait for the season to begin!

we don't need to win 13 games to win the division. 10 games will do it, and we will easily win 10 games. our D is also the best in the league (let alone division) and it has little to do with luck. you don't "luck out" and not allow a rushing TD in 14 straight games (all time NFL record).

we're not going to have a +30 turnover margin or whatever it is and we're probably not winning 13 games but we're still going to be one of the top teams in the league

bionic77

I heard it happened in a Wisconsin bathroom.
If it was a sconi woman Ben would have lost his arm in that struggle. So we can safely rule that out.

Hell ez is no pussy and he freely admits that he could not handle the sheer strength of the natural sconi. So he left Wisconsin, married a normal sized woman and became a Bengals fan instead.

bionic77

we don't need to win 13 games to win the division. 10 games will do it, and we will easily win 10 games. our D is also the best in the league (let alone division) and it has little to do with luck. you don't "luck out" and not allow a rushing TD in 14 straight games (all time NFL record).

we're not going to have a +30 turnover margin or whatever it is and we're probably not winning 13 games but we're still going to be one of the top teams in the league
Everything you said is true.

But the one thing you have going against you is Peter King picked you as a SB contender. He is without fall always fat and always wrong.

I would be afraid.

Fox318

6AhG3.gif

but seriously what type of things do you plan on doing with your phone? Podcast, camera, twitter, game?

So, I finally got on the smart phone wagon. Just curious about what apps you guys use for scores, upsates, and such. Even apps in general you use.

ESPN Score Center works pretty well. A lot of NFL teams juts came out with official team apps and some are rated really high. Just picked up the app for the Cardinals and if it works out like it's supposed to, could be a one stop shop which would be great. Twitter is amazing for sports news if you follow the right sports writers, I only joined this off season and it worked out amazing for the NBA free agency.

Speaking of which, any of you guys that use Twitter have good recommends for who to follow for NFL news? I have Schefter and Jurecki besides Cards beat writers and official team. Should start adding more now that the season is approaching. I'll probably ask again during day time hours when more of NFL GAF is on.

jakncoke

Banned
Happened last year. Probably against Ravens or the fucking Browns (both of these teams always hurt key players on our team).

Keep in mind that Ben is not an actual physician and he is prone to getting the diagnosis wrong. I am not worried about it. He was supposedly throwing the ball just fine. Every qb is one awkward hit to their shoulder away from being done for the season.

One other thing I forgot to add. Haley is focusing on the run and check downs in the offense so far in practice. Haley really wants Ben to check down to the back if his first or second read is not there. Ben kind of wants to scramble and go through his first 5 reads twice before checking down. Be interesting to see who wins that debate.

id rather have ben scramble a bit then become captain checkdown

6AhG3.gif

but seriously what type of things do you plan on doing with your phone? Podcast, camera, twitter, game?
I have the essentials like twitter, where I get most of my sports news, and Espn score zone. I use my iPod for all my music and podcasts. I'm just really curious about what you guys might find useful.

And thanks Squall. I'll look into a Suh Stomping app!

jakncoke

Banned
Everyone looks great! They don't miss Hines at all! The D looks refreshed and reinvigorated! The re-made O-line looks positively dominant!

Ring #7 confirmed!

well yeah. hines was awesome but a non factor for like 3 years and us spamming to him to get him to 1000 last year was negligent to the overall offense

I have the essentials like twitter, where I get most of my sports news, and Espn score zone. I use my iPod for all my music and podcasts. I'm just really curious about what you guys might find useful.

Get scramble with friends.

Ill whoop your fuckin ass.

Fox318

Pocketcasts is a pretty good iPhone and android app if you really Digg podcasts.

jakncoke

Banned
i always sucked on auction based drafts and fucking hate getting drove up by some doucher just cause he felt the need to asshats

Fantomex

I bet you end up with 8 $1 guys.

yeah that always happened to me

i always sucked on auction based drafts and fucking hate getting drove up by some doucher just cause he felt the need to asshats

Well this is my first time but I learned a trick. You nominate household names, that aren't really worth it when it comes down to efficiency. So you get people to end up paying #1 money for a 3rd tier player. I nominated Reggie Bush, Randy Moss, Daren Mcfadden. Some poor soul ended up paying 125 for McFadden LOLS!

jakncoke

Banned
Well this is my first time but I learned a trick. You nominate household names, that aren't really worth it when it comes down to efficiency. So you get people to end up paying #1 money for a 3rd tier player. I nominated Reggie Bush, Randy Moss, Daren Mcfadden. Some poor soul ended up paying 125 for McFadden LOLS!

is that like top 3 money? lol. whats your cap at?

Top Bottom