• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

bionic77

Yeah, I'm not a fan of these replacement refs, but it's not like the originals were perfect by any means.
The current ones just seem to make bonehead mistakes on what should be easy calls. Just doesn't seem like they're even college level officials at times. That doesn't mean that 80% of the game doesn't go off without a hitch, but at times you wonder if they're even watching or understand some fairly clear cut rules.
While the regular refs fuck up the replacement refs are taking it to a whole new level. On one hand it is hilarious seeing them struggle with basic things like knowing the rules, spotting the ball correctly, knowing what down it is and who has possession of the ball.

Because the games mean so much and these refs are so incredibly bad it is going to hilarious when the meltdowns happen. Myself included. When we lose to Browns solely because of the refs I will be on GAF for the next few hours preaching about the downfall of civilization and how it was the greatest tragedy of all time. Any my hypocrisy will be clear when I tell fans of other teams to STFU when they are on the receiving end of the same shit. I will also take great delight if the Pats somehow get fucked over.

Milchjon

While the regular refs fuck up the replacement refs are taking it to a whole new level. On one hand it is hilarious seeing them struggle with basic things like knowing the rules, spotting the ball correctly, knowing what down it is and who has possession of the ball.

Because the games mean so much and these refs are so incredibly bad it is going to hilarious when the meltdowns happen. Myself included. When we lose to Browns solely because of the refs I will be on GAF for the next few hours preaching about the downfall of civilization and how it was the greatest tragedy of all time. Any my hypocrisy will be clear when I tell fans of other teams to STFU when they are on the receiving end of the same shit. I will also take great delight if the Pats somehow get fucked over.

You don't lose to the Browns solely due to refs.

I like that the replacement refs are calling less pansy ass PI but they totally fucked up one of the hilarious obvious PIs yesterday in the Packers game.

They also missed a clear double toe tap on the sideline.

It's time that they got rid of challenges altogether and start using booth replays on every controversial play.

squicken

The league can give in on benefits and salary for all I care. but the proposal they can't give in on is sitting incompetent refs. A big thing the officials are chaffing at is the additional 3 crews that would sub in for under-performing officials. Real refs have been atrocious, and the league has to do something about it. I want it to be with video and mostly reffed from the booth, but benching the bad ones on-field is a good start

Any of you have a Canon s100 or a Sony RX100?

Trying to decide which p/s to get my wife. Also, if you have any knowledge of a good 35mm lens to get for a Canon DSLR I'd be grateful. This camera stuff is fucking mind boggling.

Whats your price range? I have a friend that dabbles in amateur photography and uses pretty nice cameras. You can see the picture quality of the cameras he uses here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dharo/page2/

Justin Tuck on rookie defensive tackle Marcus Khun:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/the_germanator_W3xR7M0IAQtwizpFYopxMO

“He’s just a funny guy, he’s a fun-loving guy, he’s a typical high-effort white guy, which our room always seems to have one,’’ Tuck said. “He’s a strong guy, a guy who seems to be getting the reads well. I’m interested to see how he’s gonna do in that final preseason game when he has to play a lot of snaps, and not just flashes.’’

I just love how Tuck doesn't mince words and just flat out says "high effort white guy". :jnc

No range. Are you the guy with the pipe?

No. This guy lives in Aurora and I live in St.Pete. Just known him online for quite awhile.

As you can see he uses really high quality cameras. He usually spends in the neighborhood of $2000 for a camera + good lens. So just tell me what she is looking for in a camera and I will ask him later what he would suggest.

bionic77

Ez just get her a iphone5. Since she had a DSLR I don't see the point of a point and shoot as well since she doesn't want the mirror less Sony (which seems like the way to go IMO).

JABEE

If the Eagles lose because of the NFL employs high school and lingerie league officials, Philadelphia will go crazy. There is no excuse for the NFL, the #1 league in North American Sports with over $7 Billion in annual revenue to use former gamblers and sideshow football officials that haven't even officiated a Division 1 Football game. The league should be ashamed that they even let those officials touch preseason games.

Greg

I like that the replacement refs are calling less pansy ass PI but they totally fucked up one of the hilarious obvious PIs yesterday in the Packers game.

They also missed a clear double toe tap on the sideline.

It's time that they got rid of challenges altogether and start using booth replays on every controversial play.
"The controversiality of the play is under review."

"The ruling on play is "controversial" - we will now review the controversial play."

"The ruling on the field stands."

JABEE

"The controversiality of the play is under review."

"The ruling on play is controversial - we will now review the controversial play."

"The ruling on the field stands."

"The ruling on the play is Tom Brady and the Patriots cheat- we will award the Eagles the football at the Patriots 20 yard line. First down Philadelphia."

List of players that won't be playing tonight for the Giants:

WR Hakeem Nicks (foot)
LT Will Beatty (back)
DE Jason Pierre-Paul (back)
LB Michael Boley (hamstring)
DT Chris Canty (knee)
CB Jayron Hosley (toe)
DT Shaun Rogers (blood clot, leg)
CB Terrell Thomas (knee)
DT Marvin Austin (back)
TE Travis Beckum (knee)
DE Adrian Tracy (hamstring)
OL Brandon Mosley (ankle)
CB Brandon Bing (hamstring)

Greg

Good point Ser Gregor.

It's just getting quite redundant/conflicting.
I wouldn't mind more reviews if the process was streamlined. Most educated viewers of the sport can make the correct call after a single broadcast replay.

I'll never forgive the refs for a bullshit call that wiped out one of the best plays ever conceived in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFmZ7pW4eM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
image.php

Months later and this guy (you?) is still salty:
Also, earlier in that game the refs screwed the Bears when Charles Woodson got away with OBVIOUS pass interference on Devin Hester. If he didn't interfere, Hester would have taken it the distance. The Bears lost by 10 but the Refs took 14 points off the board. Can Packers fans do math?

WTFiget 1 week ago

LJ11

Ez just get her a iphone5. Since she had a DSLR I don't see the point of a point and shoot as well since she doesn't want the mirror less Sony (which seems like the way to go IMO).

iphone may be good enough for stills, but if you have a kid running around you need decent autofocus, and the rx100 is unmatched in its class.

Sanjuro

Watching the Cardinals game...can you imagine if Manning had gone there? Jesus Christ.

I'm still not 100% sold on him being a viable, sixteen game quarterback. At the same time most teams would be foolish not to bite either. If the Cards got him and his arm was even at 80%, it could have been incredibly numbers.

I'm still not 100% sold on him being a viable, sixteen game quarterback. At the same time most teams would be foolish not to bite either. If the Cards got him and his arm was even at 80%, it could have been incredibly numbers.

Behind that offensive line? He wouldn't have lasted through preseason!

bionic77

What do you guys invest your money in? I feel like me and my wife have too much money in our savings. I max out my 401k and I don't want to put any more money into the stock market or mutual funds.

I know eznark wastes his disposable income on tech gadgets, guns and confederate flags but I have all the tech I need currently.

What should a cheap motherfucker like me do with my money? Anyone want to go in with me and buy a Chick Fil A? Aside from the whole bigot thing it seems like a can't miss business.

Talon

What do you guys invest your money in? I feel like me and my wife have too much money in our savings. I max out my 401k and I don't want to put any more money into the stock market or mutual funds.

I know eznark wastes his disposable income on tech gadgets, guns and confederate flags but I have all the tech I need currently.

What should a cheap motherfucker like me do with my money? Anyone want to go in with me and buy a Chick Fil A? Aside from the whole bigot thing it seems like a can't miss business.
I buy Thai villages and sell them to Phil Knight at 20% markup.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"

Buy a house and turn it into apartments. Rent it out forever. Awesome cash flow and the rental market is booming right now in terms of buyers.

JABEE

Put it all in Packer stocks. You won't regret it.

Bowser

Wow confidence from a Panthers fan. I wouldn't be as confident if my team had a 3-5 record at home last year.

Didn't you hear? We're winning the Super Bowl son.

edit: 4 of those 5 losses were by 8 points or less, including by 3 to the Saints and 7 to the Packers (we got stomped at home by the Titans - that was a weird game)

Bowser

Bowser doesn't want to talk about last year....hehe

That game and the Saints game at the end of the year were the only two games last year where we straight got our shit pushed in. At least the Saints game was competitive for a half, down by 7 at halftime. We just got destroyed by the Titans, don't really have an explanation for it.

Draxal said:
they're playing the giant's b squad tonight.
Justin Tuck, Linval Joseph and Osi Umenyoira are the B squad now?:D That's a helluva B squad.

JPP is the only one sitting on the defensive line outside of the injured DT's. Rocky Bernard will start alongside Linval. Starters on offense and defense will play into the third quarter according to Coughlin.

The bigger hits are on offense but some of the guys sitting will be a good thing. Ahmad sitting out to let his hand heal will put David Wilson on the first team for a good number of snaps. Hakeem not playing will continue to let us see more of Jernigan/Hixon and Randle for that third wideout spot, too.

Frankly, the main area of focus for me will be the Giants offensive line. We have Locklear at LT and I'm curious to see how well he does against Julius Peppers. He hasn't looked bad in the preseason but he hasn't faced a real pass rusher as of yet either. Beatty being out has really put the O-line in flux.

squicken

That game and the Saints game at the end of the year were the only two games last year where we straight got our shit pushed in. At least the Saints game was competitive for a half, down by 7 at halftime. We just got destroyed by the Titans, don't really have an explanation for it.

Even in the stat geek world CAR's '11 season is discounted a bit, given their amazing ability to fall behind and then make it look closer at the end than it really was. If Cam makes the year 2 leap then all will be well, but he did fade a bit as the year went on as a passer

Feel like someone's going to lose a playoff spot because the league started the year with replacement refs.

Every year with the real refs someone loses a playoff spot b/c of bad officiating. The league can't back down. It can't become like baseball where terrible umps have no accountability and can call whatever strike zone they wish. They have to fix it. It's gotten comical how bad they are. I feel like we've become soccer fans where we just accept that they will be terrible and cost teams games.

If I have to endure some really crappy refs for a few weeks to get the regular crappy refs to do their jobs better than that's fine

Top Bottom