• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So who's doing the regular season thread? That ref gif needs to be part of it if they haven't resolved that whole mess by then.

Draxal

Justin Tuck, Linval Joseph and Osi Umenyoira are the B squad now?:D That's a helluva B squad.

JPP is the only one sitting on the defensive line outside of the injured DT's. Rocky Bernard will start alongside Linval. Starters on offense and defense will play into the third quarter according to Coughlin.

The bigger hits are on offense but some of the guys sitting will be a good thing. Ahmad sitting out to let his hand heal will put David Wilson on the first team for a good number of snaps. Hakeem not playing will continue to let us see more of Jernigan/Hixon and Randle for that third wideout spot, too.

Frankly, the main area of focus for me will be the Giants offensive line. We have Locklear at LT and I'm curious to see how well he does against Julius Peppers. He hasn't looked bad in the preseason but he hasn't faced a real pass rusher as of yet either. Beatty being out has really put the O-line in flux.
Jpp is that good right now. And since our depth is so tenuous, I'm expecting pure vanilla.

Key player I'm focusing on tonight is the prince.

Draxal said:
Jpp is that good right now. And since our depth is so tenuous, I'm expecting pure vanilla.
Yeah, I don't expect much more than vanilla defense but the primary depth concerns we have are at defensive tackles. We have defensive ends coming out of our ears at the moment. Tracy is sitting with a Hammy but he's expected back next week.

Draxal said:
Key player I'm focusing on tonight is the prince.
Good point. Another one to watch for though I was reading that Alshon won't be playing tonight? Curious to see if they have Prince on Marshall. Likely not. They'll go with Web like they usually do.

Bowser

Even in the stat geek world CAR's '11 season is discounted a bit, given their amazing ability to fall behind and then make it look closer at the end than it really was. If Cam makes the year 2 leap then all will be well, but he did fade a bit as the year went on as a passer

I wouldn't say we had an "amazing ability to fall behind" considering we were either tied, in the lead, or within a touchdown at half time in 15 of 16 games (if you want to cut it down to just tied or in the lead, it was 11 of 16). The third quarter really gave us fits, as it seems like our defense would seemingly collapse after a solid half (and it was a shitty defense last year - no push up front, only one legit pass rush threat, replacement-level LBs, and only one legit coverage threat) and would cause Newton and the offense to press (which led to INTs from Newton).

Also, I feel like people are applying a double-standard when it comes to Newton's stats. When he was putting up monster yardage, people say "oh that's because he's playing from behind" (when really we're not THAT much) and "those monster totals don't mean anything because they lost". Then, when we won 4 of 6 to end the season with Newton's passing totals down and picks non-existent (3 picks total in the last 6 games), people say "Oh, Newton really faded down the stretch". Which is it? I'd rather Newton average ~220 pass yards and get wins then have all these 300+ yd games that we end up losing.

BTW, a nice little article regarding the myth of the "sophomore slump": http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...on-and-the-myth-the-qb-sophomore-slump/16166/

squicken

http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2012/08/24/more-than-a-fad-the-tweets-of-jim-harbaugh/

I guess Harbs had a Twitter account but stopped updating it b/c he thought it was a fad. Never deleted it. Pretty funny stuff

harbaugh-hootie.jpg

harbaugh-weirdness.jpg

harbaugh-kairos.jpg

harbaugh-bauer-dream.jpg

squicken

I can't wait till Irsay lures him out of that dump in San Francisco to be reunited with his favorite son, Luck

At least give Pagano and Arians a chance. And Luck could have a Dan Marino career where he carries a a bad coach to 10+ wins every year. Look what Peyton did with Caldwell

cajunator

Banned
Wow Saints got easy early schedule. Maybe 6-0 but should go 5-1.

No schedule is an easy schedule. Still have to show up and win. It can come off the rails during any game. I'm feeling good about our chances all things considered though.

Didn't you hear? We're winning the Super Bowl son.

edit: 4 of those 5 losses were by 8 points or less, including by 3 to the Saints and 7 to the Packers (we got stomped at home by the Titans - that was a weird game)

Panthers are nothing to laugh at. Cam is for real and the defense usually gives us fits. Steve Smith is a thorn in our side. Shockey may or may not hate us at this point. I feel that he left our team on good terms but he seemed pretty eager to stick it to us (and failed) last season.

I'd still think we need weekly threads. Look at this one, it's only preseason but it'll probably reach 20,000 posts.

Brady wants to play for another decade and is also depressingly realistic about the fact that Belichick will probably take him out behind the barn one day....

I would be ok with Lady Brady being in the league for a long time. shes not a diva as bad as Favre.

LukeSmith

Seriously anybody... what's going on with the colts?

Some people thought it was MJD for picks, I guess that's a possibility, I imagine it could be something like that or a deal with some team with a surplus of talent in the secondary or linebacker to try and shore up major weaknesses on a team full of them.

Godslay

Banned
I was just speaking the truth, mang. Now you have a legitimate quarterback to avoid that argument (He might be toast though).

It's all good. I just didn't know you very well as a poster and didn't get that you were trying to be humorous.

Watching the Cardinals game...can you imagine if Manning had gone there? Jesus Christ.

It's pretty amazing that he gave Arizona a shot, and snubbed Seattle. Seattle is a more complete team than Arizona.

It's all good. I just didn't know you very well as a poster and didn't get that you were trying to be humorous.

It's pretty amazing that he gave Arizona a shot, and snubbed Seattle. Seattle is a more complete team than Arizona.

What are you smoking? If Peyton was coming here, we're missing OL and that's it. If you want to say he'd stay upright more in Seattle because they have a better OL, that's one thing but no way in hell are they a more complete team. They still have no receivers to speak of and their ST is nothing special (no pun intended).

That all said, I can't even be mad at him not coming here, it's questionable for him to play at all with so many neck surgeries and I'd personally probably make OL a top priority in my choice if I were him.

I think squall wanted in! I'll vouch for my NFC west brother!

Thanks, buddy. I'm actually the one that brings it to 8. I told him just cut it to ten and we'd only need 2 more ;) I'd rather do two ten leagues than two twelve leagues but I'll do it regardless. I actually know some of the gaffers in this league and looking forwarding to playing with you division rival of forever.

Milchjon

I had forgotten about Apple fanboys. Reading stuff like this:

Hahaha go Apple, fuck you Android losers! The one true king has prevailed. The black rectangle is OURS

when consumers have nothing to gain from that decision is pretty snes-y.

I mean, Apple's products are great, but why cheer about stuff like this?

/OT

Rorschach

Got your PM but is this Yahoo or ESPN?

yahoo

I can only speak for myself, but the draft is probably my favorite part and I actively participate all season long. I hope it will be a competitive league with lots of moves.

I have to admit that, just like in Madden, this group is a little stingy, so they don't make many trades, but they do make lots of moves and stay active all the way through.

Godslay

Banned
What are you smoking? If Peyton was coming here, we're missing OL and that's it. If you want to say he'd stay upright more in Seattle because they have a better OL, that's one thing but no way in hell are they a more complete team. They still have no receivers to speak of and their ST is nothing special (no pun intended).

That all said, I can't even be mad at him not coming here, it's questionable for him to play at all with so many neck surgeries and I'd personally probably make OL a top priority in my choice if I were him.

You might as well not have a football team if you don't have an OL, a QB worth a shit, or an elite RB that can get around the first two. It's just my opinion, but I think Seattle is more complete, or closer to complete.

I had forgotten about Apple fanboys. Reading stuff like this:

when consumers have nothing to gain from that decision is pretty snes-y.

I mean, Apple's products are great, but why cheer about stuff like this?

/OT

Because internet nerds (and sometimes in real life too) are so attached to these corporations that they rely on their favorite team doing well (and their rivals doing poorly) for validation. Like it's some sort of dick measuring contest. We've somehow forgotten that balanced competition is good for everybody.

And for what? Companies that haven't done shit for them. Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Google, none of these corporations have done anything for their fanboys but gladly take their money.

I like to call it the snesian syndrome.

yahoo

I have to admit that, just like in Madden, this group is a little stingy, so they don't make many trades, but they do make lots of moves and stay active all the way through.

Trades are super rare in every league I've played in so not concerned about that. I just meant in terms of scooping players off the wire. It's really lame when you have people on auto pilot the entire season, don't even players that are IR out for the week, etc.

WR Jabar Gaffney
S Patrick Chung
S Will Allen
S Josh Barrett
CB Ross Ventrone
LB Tracy White
OT Matt Kopa
TE Visanthe Shiancoe
WR Wes Welker
DL Gerard Warren

Patriots not playing tonight, Volmer should be a go, but it's not certain.

squicken

SANTA CLARA -- Both Peyton Manning and Jim Harbaugh are downplaying their reunion Sunday, when Manning and his Denver Broncos host the Harbaugh-coached 49ers in a nationally-televised exhibition.

Rehashing Manning's March 13 workout in North Carolina isn't atop Manning's or Harbaugh's agenda.

But Manning still was asked Thursday if the 49ers pursued him, or merely "evaluated" him, as Harbaugh insisted on May 30?

"I can't speak for them," Manning told Denver reporters. "It's pretty well documented how all that went down in the offseason. Not really going down memory lane."

Harbaugh declined to give his evaluation of Manning's comeback from neck surgeries that sidelined him last year, the final of his 14 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

"Does it matter what I think in that regard?" Harbaugh responded. "I don't think so. I don't see the relevancy of what my opinion is on that. I don't think it's relevant at all to our situation here."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_21386162/peyton-manning-jim-harbaugh-keep-quiet-reunion-san

“Pretty well documented” could be a passive-aggressive way of saying that the Niners did a lot more than “evaluate” him. (Which they did.)

We understand why Harbaugh wouldn’t want to talk about Manning. The 49ers tried to get him. They failed. And they’d prefer that the rest of us not remind them of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wont-go-down-memory-lane-on-pursuit-by-49ers/

You might as well not have a football team if you don't have an OL, a QB worth a shit, or an elite RB that can get around the first two. It's just my opinion, but I think Seattle is more complete, or closer to complete.

I wasn't talking importance of position, I guess I just took issue with phrasing. When I hear a complete team, to me, that means that you are solid in all facets. Seattle has good D and a good RB. That's about it (although if we are arguing between SEA and AZ, then OL too). I take our ST over theirs and I sure as hell take our WR's over theirs. The smart decision would have been the Niners anyway but I'm thankful that didn't happen.

“Pretty well documented” could be a passive-aggressive way of saying that the Niners did a lot more than “evaluate” him. (Which they did.)

We understand why Harbaugh wouldn’t want to talk about Manning. The 49ers tried to get him. They failed. And they’d prefer that the rest of us not remind them of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wont-go-down-memory-lane-on-pursuit-by-49ers/

who gives a shit? i don't understand why florio is always up harbaughs ass about everything. "OOOH he's a great coach but if he doesn't keep winning then the team will turn on him because he's a jerk to the media!"

go suck a dick florio you fucking fraud

I wasn't talking importance of position, I guess I just took issue with phrasing. When I hear a complete team, to me, that means that you are solid in all facets. Seattle has good D and a good RB. That's about it (although if we are arguing between SEA and AZ, then OL too). I take our ST over theirs and I sure as hell take our WR's over theirs. The smart decision would have been the Niners anyway but I'm thankful that didn't happen.

hey squall...... wtf is going on with our cardinals. im not having much faith this season mang, I dunno about you.....

hey squall...... wtf is going on with our cardinals. im not having much faith this season mang, I dunno about you.....

I was feeling pretty good until Brown went down. I know it's Levi freakin Brown, but I knew we had no depth there and our OL was already bad. Now it's REAL bad. I'm still excited about our defense when everyone is finally back (by the SEA game) and a few individual players but our D will be tanked by mid season if they are playing 90 percent of every freakin game. I had an idea where I thought we'd end up at seasons end but now I don't. When the coaches finally saw enough of practice squad Young and moved Batiste to LT and Massie to RT, our OL performance improved. That's our only silver lining. We also still have Bridges who we've been holding out to test these young guys before the games count but I don't trust him at LT. Was a good idea to hold him out though, we learned that Young is most definitely not ready.

Godslay

Banned

Sure I'll give you Fitz and the ST (largely because of Peterson). Wells has had flashes as well, from what I have seen, but he's nowhere near what Lynch is at the moment. The problem is that 1/3 of your team is decimated at the moment. The offense is complete shit, Fitz and Wells will suffer for it. Kolb has looked like he doesn't belong in the NFL, Skelton hasn't been much better.

Seattle has proven (so far, things can obviously change), that they are getting decent QB play, Lynch and Turbin look good, and their defense is serviceable. I haven't seen anything from their special teams that tells me that they are complete trash. That's why I said more complete. With a healthy oline, and a good QB it would be 'closer' or even in favor of Arizona. Fair enough?

bluemax

Banned
Sure I'll give you Fitz and the ST (largely because of Peterson). Wells has had flashes as well, from what I have seen, but he's nowhere near what Lynch is at the moment. The problem is that 1/3 of your team is decimated at the moment. The offense is complete shit, Fitz and Wells will suffer for it. Kolb has looked like he doesn't belong in the NFL, Skelton hasn't been much better.

Seattle has proven (so far, things can obviously change), that they are getting decent QB play, Lynch and Turbin look good, and their defense is serviceable. I haven't seen anything from their special teams that tells me that they are complete trash. That's why I said more complete. With a healthy oline, and a good QB it would be 'closer' or even in favor of Arizona. Fair enough?

A top 10 defense is serviceable? Well okay then.

Also evaluating special teams in the pre-season is kind of hard since a lot of borderline players rotate in and out on ST.

In other news, who is ready for some RUSSELMANIA:

Russellmania.jpg

squicken

Ugh going to miss the game. First giants game in any form that I miss in about 10 years. :(

That sucks man. Hope all is well

A top 10 defense is serviceable? Well okay then.

Also evaluating special teams in the pre-season is kind of hard since a lot of borderline players rotate in and out on ST.

In other news, who is ready for some RUSSELMANIA:

[IG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/The_Haunt/Russellmania.jpg[/IMG]

Flynn is in sweats so he's not even playing tonight. Really interested in your game. Haven't seen much of him. But the way the fans and media are cheerleading for him over Flynn I'm curious to see him vs the 1s. Weird that Flynn won't be going at all. You'd think Cheatin' Pete would want to evaluate him vs the 2s

Top Bottom