• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How does it feel to know that the season is basically over? I've already come to terms with it.

I should plan something for every Sunday until the end of year just to force myself not to watch.

I've got some friends trying to convince me to rent a condo in Durango for the duration of the winter and go up every weekend. But, dammit, my team is going to be good!

squicken

How does it feel to know that the season is basically over? I've already come to terms with it.

I should plan something for every Sunday until the end of year just to force myself not to watch.

Well I said ceiling was 7 wins. It's a young team and they are rebuilding. There's fun in that if you can see them get better. I mean no one besides me thinks the Colts are a playoff team, but it will still be fun for their fans to see him develop.

I thought maybe Bradford could be better with some protection and help outside. So it's not a wasted year b/c they need to develop other positions, but I really have no interest in watching Bradford's career circle the drain. Whatever strides they make elsewhere it's still a bad season b/c they still need a QB. I like football. Always RZC

So who you going to :squicken to next

Colts if anything

Rorschach

How do you think I feel? I paid for tickets to a game in December. When there's even less hope!

Godslay

Banned
Well I said ceiling was 7 wins. It's a young team and they are rebuilding. There's fun in that if you can see them get better. I mean no one besides me thinks the Colts are a playoff team, but it will still be fun for their fans to see him develop.

I thought maybe Bradford could be better with some protection and help outside. So it's not a wasted year b/c they need to develop other positions, but I really have no interest in watching Bradford's career circle the drain. Whatever strides they make elsewhere it's still a bad season b/c they still need a QB. I like football. Always RZC

Call me crazy, but I'd believe it. Luck combined with a fairly soft schedule and anything can happen. I could see them possibly sneaking in.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Call me crazy, but I'd believe it. Luck combined with a fairly soft schedule and anything can happen. I could see them possibly sneaking in.

Isn't the AFC south improved though? I guess Jax and Tennessee are question marks, Houston is the clear favorite, but I think the Titans could threaten for second at least.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
TJ is gonna get killed. WTF is the protection.

damn what a kick for Graham, really pushing the rookie.

LJ11

I say this shit every year, I'm fucking tired of it.

How do you think I feel? I paid for tickets to a game in December. When there's even less hope!

At least you won't be freezing your ass off!

squicken

I say this shit every year, I'm fucking tired of it.

!

I bailed on Texans b/c I had to get off that ride. But I thought Bradford was going to be the guy. He was so good in college. Looking back he just never had to deal with a dirty pocket, so his lack of awareness wasn't an issue. It just gets magnified every year as passing game takes over. Every team without and elite QB is a second class citizen

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I bailed on Texans b/c I had to get off that ride. But I thought Bradford was going to be the guy. He was so good in college. Looking back he just never had to deal with a dirty pocket, so his lack of awareness wasn't an issue. It just gets magnified every year as passing game takes over. Every team without and elite QB is a second class citizen

Nah, but I think you do need a competent QB at least and excel in other areas. I know this is a passing league now, but I think you can win with a really good defense and efficient offense.

Godslay

Banned
Nah, but I think you do need a competent QB at least and excel in other areas. I know this is a passing league now, but I think you can win with a really good defense and efficient offense.

Win what though? Anymore it seems like you have to have an elite QB to get over the hump and into the SB.

squicken

Win what though? Anymore it seems like you have to have an elite QB to get over the hump and into the SB.

What SF did last year happens about once a decade, and they still didn't get in. There's enough playoff spots for the middle class to make it, but SBs are for elite QBs

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not sure I would call Rapes elite. I'm not 100% sure Eli is there yet, but he's certainly very good. PLEASE GIANTS FANS DON'T KILL MEEEEEEEEEEE.......

LJ11

Word, parity is an illusion.

Just looked at the stat sheet, Mario got credit for two sacks. Kyle and Dareus did all the work, especially Kyle.

Godslay

Banned
I think the 9ers were good enough to win it last year. Alex Smith is above average at best, but he can get the job done

It's an uphill battle though. It can happen, it certainly has a couple times recently. Even with that said, it seems to be more of an anomaly than a tried and true method to win.

squicken

Word, parity is an illusion.

Just looked at the stat sheet, Mario got credit for two sacks. Kyle and Dareus did all the work, especially Kyle.

There was a play early in the game where Dareus tripped Roffles and Mario fell on him. That and being unblocked were about 80% of his Texans sacks. He just has no moves and questionable effort. He is good vs the run, though. Looks like Dareus worked out. Remember lots of people thought he was a likely bust

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
wow what awful awful protection for Yates.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I guess I think you can be a tier below and be good enough to win. The SB last year could have honestly been Baltimore vs San Fran. I do concede that having that elite guy puts you in that top tier, I just don't think you're out of it if you happen to have a really good QB.

Matrix

Is he your second string guy now? Its crazy after all the years seeing him at UNC. I remember many UNC fans would boo him mercilessly if he threw a pick.

Yep.

LJ11

There was a play early in the game where Dareus tripped Roffles and Mario fell on him. That and being unblocked were about 80% of his Texans sacks. He just has no moves and questionable effort. He is good vs the run, though. Looks like Dareus worked out. Remember lots of people thought he was a likely bust

Mario's looked vulnerable against the run so far, teams have been running right at him.

Only complaints on Dareus is that I wish he had Kyle's motor, gets too upright as well sometimes. Was a true junior, interior DL is tough position to play so he's been solid from the start, can only get better hopefully.

lets look at the superbowl winners since 2000 and the qb's associated

trent dilfer - not elite
tom brady - not elite (not at this time anyways, he was a game manager)
brad johnson - not elite
tom brady - uhhhh i guess i'll give him an elite this time
tom brady - elite
roofles - not elite at this time
peypey - elite
eli - not elite at this time
roofles - elite
brees - elite
rodgers - elite
eli - elite

so over the past 11 years, i would say you didn't HAVE to have an elite qb but it sure doesn't hurt. with that said, if alex plays like he did last year we can't win a championship. he needs to take more chances. no excuses this year, if he doesn't put up good numbers then kap needs to be our QB next year. i don't like kap so far but i'm willing to give him a chance under harbs direction!

LJ11

Three of those teams had insane defenses (Bucs, Steelers, Ravens). So if you don't have an elite QB, you need one of the best defenses in the last twenty years.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

The Steelers did that every year between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger, 1 Super Bowl appearance, 0 victories. :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We win, yay. I'd feel better about this game without all the miscues made by guys who have played quite a bit and I'm sure Texan fans feel the same. They gonna make K Mart walk back to Houston?

Godslay

Banned
lets look at the superbowl winners since 2000 and the qb's associated

trent dilfer - not elite
tom brady - not elite (not at this time anyways, he was a game manager)
brad johnson - not elite
tom brady - uhhhh i guess i'll give him an elite this time
tom brady - elite
roofles - not elite at this time
peypey - elite
eli - not elite at this time
roofles - elite
brees - elite
rodgers - elite
eli - elite

so over the past 11 years, i would say you didn't HAVE to have an elite qb but it sure doesn't hurt. with that said, if alex plays like he did last year we can't win a championship. he needs to take more chances. no excuses this year, if he doesn't put up good numbers then kap needs to be our QB next year. i don't like kap so far but i'm willing to give him a chance under harbs direction!

I knew this would bring you out. So what you're telling me is that all but two on the list became or were elite QBs. 9/11 are considered elite at this point. 2 rode on the backs of exceptional defenses. Odds are not in a game managers favor to win the SB.

Three of those teams had insane defenses (Bucs, Steelers, Ravens). So if you don't have an elite QB, you need one of the best defenses in the last twenty years.

only the ravens would be considered insane. the steelers weren't even the best D in the league in 2005. bucs were really good but i wouldn't say they were a legendary D like the 2000 ravens

I knew this would bring you out. So what you're telling me is that all but two on the list became or were elite QBs. 9/11 are considered elite at this point. 2 rode on the backs of exceptional defenses. Odds are not in a game managers favor to win the SB.

technically the odds aren't in your favor even if you have an elite QB!

squicken

And elite QBs always make the playoffs. Teams with mediocre QBs can make it every once in awhile, but it's like relegation in soccer. The teams that drop out are usually the teams came up the previous year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Minor hand injury from the sound of things

I'm more concerned about Kevin Smith. Any word on his status?

Good thing we drafted a WR in the 2nd round instead of a running back.

Damit man. Davin Joseph actually has a torn patellar tendon and not an ACL. Is that better or worse than an ACL? Cadillac ruptured his patellar and he still wasnt 100% more than a full year later.

Top Bottom