• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Striker

Eli Manning disagrees
You can look up some 2004 Giant games and see, outside Barber, the Giants had no other play makers. Toomer was injured for a good part of the year, Ike Hillard was on his last legs and ran like cement, Shockey was in and out, and the line was fringe; basically new in 2005. They went out to sign Plaxico and Kareem McKenzie as their big tickets for offense the following year.

Unless you're wholly underrating Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey, and the duo of Williams and Stewart.

Bowser

You can look up some 2004 Giant games and see, outside Barber, the Giants had no other play makers. Toomer was injured for a good part of the year, Ike Hillard was on his last legs and ran like cement, Shockey was in and out, and the line was fringe; basically new in 2005. They went out to sign Plaxico and Kareem McKenzie as their big tickets for offense the following year.

Unless you're wholly underrating Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey, and the duo of Williams and Stewart.

Can't really say Shockey was in and out 8 years ago and then say he was underrated last year...

bionic77

Blake's deep ball was indeed awesome (it would just drop out of nowhere into the receivers hands) and it figures ez loves him as he was one of the better Bungles qbs.

I think Jeff Georges deep ball was probably my favorite though. It looked unnatural. Like something out of Tecmo Bowl. He could seemingly throw the ball 60 yards with no effort and it would have a trajectory that was a flat as Tammy's chest. Granted it would be an INT as often as a reception but I was a kid back then and didn't know any better!

Striker

Can't really say Shockey was in and out 8 years ago and then say he was underrated last year...
Didn't mean he was as a single player, but as the whole unit. The '04 Giants had Barber and little of anything else. Not sure how Eli had the best talent surrounding him that year. None of the receivers could get yards after catch, and the only one who was able to go deep and make a play was Jamaar Taylor, who was out of football a season after.

Didn't mean he was as a single player, but as the whole unit. The '04 Giants had Barber and little of anything else. Not sure how Eli had the best talent surrounding him that year. None of the receivers could get yards after catch, and the only one who was able to go deep and make a play was Jamaar Taylor, who was out of football a season after.

But you specifically cite Shockey as a negative for Eli but as a positive for Cam. Even though he's 8 years older now and hasn't been relevant in years.

Your logic confounds me.

K-19

Banned
Chris Johnson expected to be a important piece of the Titans offensse according to Munchack. Safe seconde RB to pick?

Striker

But you specifically cite Shockey as a negative for Eli but as a positive for Cam. Even though he's 8 years older now and hasn't been relevant in years.

Your logic confounds me.
He wasn't a negative, but he battled injuries (as he's done his whole career, including 2011). Marcellus Rivers got ample time that season because of it.

Colasante

I doubt this. Didn't he have a good season last year? Some team will definitely pick him up. Unless he is too injured.

I guess the logic behind the theory is that they needed scrub receivers to play in the 4th preseason game so they kept Ebert, Holley, etc. and could bring back Gaffney or Stallworth after the 1st week, when the veterans' contract is no longer guaranteed.

Gaffney also signed with the Patriots almost immediately after being released from the Redskins. It's entirely possible they have a kind of understanding with him that he'll be brought back, like they did with Gerard Warren last year. I'm skeptical though. I think he'll go somewhere else.

Bowser

Your logic confounds me.

This is what I was getting at in my post.

BTW, it looks like John Fox's final FU to the Panthers were his terrible last two drafts:

2. DE Everette Brown (Traded 2010 First Round Pick) - Cut
2. DB Sherrod Martin - Benched
3. DT Corey Irvin - Cut
4. RB Mike Goodson - Traded
4. FB Tony Fiametta - Cut
5. OG Duke Robinson - Cut
7. CB Captain Munnerlyn - #2/Slot CB (only good pick)

2. QB Jimmy Clausen - LOL
3. WR Brandon LaFell - Starter, #2 WR
3. WR/QB Armanti Edwards (Traded 2011 Second Round Pick) - Won't be on roster come Friday 9:00PM EST
4. DE Eric Norwood - Cut
6. DE Greg Hardy - Starter
6. WR David Gettis - Showed promise in Year 1, injured last season, on PUP list
6. S Jordan Pugh - Most likely will be cut
6. QB Tony Pike - Cut
7. CB RJ Stanford - Secondary depth, most likely will be cut
7. CB Robert McClain - Secondary depth

Just fucking horrendous, especially 2009

Wasn't Blake on that Ravens team too? He played for them a season around then I thought?

I forgot about that. That led me to this list. Before the Steve McNair era, so 1998-2005, the Ravens starting QBs were as follows.

Kyle Boller
Jeff Blake (10 games in 02)
Chris Redman
Anthony Wright
Elvis Grbac
Randall Cunningham
The WOAT Trent Dilfer
Tony Banks
Worst Harbaugh
Eric Zeier
Stoney Case
Scott Mitchell

Which makes me even more grateful to have such an elite QB now....Joe Flacco.

medium.gif

Godslay

Banned
Jets, Seahawks, Patriots, Giants, Broncos. Lock it in.

Although Niner Lifelong is as common as weed where I live, up in Eureka.

We welcome all Broncos lifelongs with open arms. Tebow has laid the foundations of love and inclusiveness. We even accepted Tabris into our fold.

BTW, it looks like John Fox's final FU to the Panthers were his terrible last two drafts:

How much say did Fox have in all those picks out of curiosity?

Crisco

Banned

2. DE Everette Brown (Traded 2010 First Round Pick) - Cut
2. DB Sherrod Martin - Benched
3. DT Corey Irvin - Cut
4. RB Mike Goodson - Traded
4. FB Tony Fiametta - Cut
5. OG Duke Robinson - Cut
7. CB Captain Munnerlyn - #2/Slot CB (only good pick)

2. QB Jimmy Clausen - LOL
3. WR Brandon LaFell - Starter, #2 WR
3. WR/QB Armanti Edwards (Traded 2011 Second Round Pick) - Won't be on roster come Friday 9:00PM EST
4. DE Eric Norwood - Cut
6. DE Greg Hardy - Starter
6. WR David Gettis - Showed promise in Year 1, injured last season, on PUP list
6. S Jordan Pugh - Most likely will be cut
6. QB Tony Pike - Cut
7. CB RJ Stanford - Secondary depth, most likely will be cut
7. CB Robert McClain - Secondary depth

Giving up future picks to move up in a draft is usually bad news even if the player pans out (unless its a QB). Doing it for a player that eventually gets cut should trigger an automatic firing.

Top Bottom