• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

andthebeatgoeson

Kolb has two fans left. Whiz (who Kolb will eventually get fired) and yankeehater (who still thinks he will turn it around and become the greatest qb of all time).

I don't understand the NFL sometimes. I remember seeing Kolb first start against the Steelers in 2008. Granted that was against one of the best defenses ever, but I could tell in 5 minutes he was absolute fucking garbage. He was literally our best chance of winning that game because our line could not block for shit that game. The game was over as soon as McNabb came back on the field. How could I as an amateur fan know this about Kolb and yet so many analysts be convinced that he was a starting tier qb? Is he amazing on the practice field? Does he have a massive schlong (this may partially explain yankeehater's love for the guy)? I don't get what they are seeing in him...

Oh shut it. How many times did you bring back Leftwich?

sandwich is a million times better than corn on the cob

I'm not sure.

Corn on the cob tastes great, but sandwiches are much more diverse. Plus you can eat a sandwich for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I don't think I would eat a corn on the cob in the morning.

No I agree, sandwiches are better than corn on the cob.

PF8yf.png

He looks years younger.

Holy shit, I scrolled from the bottom up and thought was kid Payton with an old Seahawks jersey on.

K-19

Banned
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...s-address-needs-on-d-to-close-gap-on-patriots

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- If you play in the AFC East, you have one objective, and that's to catch New England. Somehow, some way, you must line up a team, devise a strategy, produce a formula ... something ... that makes you competitive with the perennial division champions.

And Buffalo just did.

Now let's get something straight: I'm not saying the Bills are going to the top of the AFC East, because they're not. New England is. But the Bills could be headed to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 because they're built to defend ... and, yes, overcome ... the mighty Patriots, a club that's defeated them 18 of 20 times when Tom Brady is throwing the football.

And there's the problem: Tom Brady.

If you're going to beat New England, you'd better flummox its star quarterback, and the Bills haven't. Brady has 46 touchdowns and 17 interceptions against them, and, granted, the Bills sacked him 38 times in his career -- or nearly twice a game. They almost always lose.

But start squeezing him, and Buffalo just might squeeze the Patriots, too. It worked for the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI, and it worked in Super Bowl XLII.

Those games proved that great pass rushers can trump great quarterbacks, and Buffalo took notes. The Bills last year produced only 29 sacks -- including 10 in one game -- which means they had 19 in the other 15, and that's not good. So something had to be done, and something was: The Bills spent the big bucks on free-agents Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, and now ...

Well, now maybe Buffalo can pressure Brady and others with its front four, which is the idea with Dave Wannstedt taking over as the team's new defensive coordinator. Wannstedt was there when Dallas built a defense to catch San Francisco in the 1990s, and while the target has changed in two decades the objective hasn't.

It's all about taking down the top dog, and New England is it.

"We've got to beat New England," said general manager Buddy Nix. "That's the M.O. There's no use in lying about it. I used to say, 'We don't pay attention to what other people do,' but we pay attention to who's winning. And I admire what New England has done. They're at the top of the heap, and that's where we want to go."

The Bills have the ammunition to get there, and New England should know. They were victims of a furious Buffalo comeback last year that ended their 15-game winning streak over Buffalo. It was a signature victory that demonstrated to Nix, coach Chan Gailey and the Bills' players that maybe there's not that much that separates the two teams after all.

OK, and maybe there is.

Buffalo's defense stunk last year, and, yeah, OK, so did the Patriots'. But they have Tom Brady. The Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick. Buffalo can win with Fitzpatrick -- and did, when it jumped to a 5-2 start -- but only if the defense is doing what it didn't a year ago.

I'm talking about making big stops. If the Bills can't, they don't budge in the AFC East. If they can, they start closing in on New England. It's as simple as that.

"The Patriots are the team we're all chasing," Wannstedt said. "That's obvious. With the philosophy that we're going to use, I see the whole blitz-zone, the zone-dog stuff, and I don't know how many quarterbacks are getting fooled anymore. I'm watching tape, and I'm not so sure the way to go isn't being able to make the quarterback get the ball out of his hands quick and put steady pressure on him.

"The great ones aren't going to take sacks, and that gives you an ability to do things coverage wise. I remember sitting there watching the Super Bowl, and I'm watching the Giants. I don't know how many times they sacked Brady, but I do know the ball was coming out fast."

That's the idea now in Buffalo: Squeeze the pocket, hurry the quarterback, force the turnovers and shorten the field for Fitzpatrick and the offense. Oh, yeah, one more thing: Catch New England. No, I don't see the Bills doing it, either, but I do see them winning more than they lose and maybe, just maybe, returning to the playoffs.

"When people say, 'I think the Buffalo Bills are going to make the playoffs,' the reaction usually is, 'Yeah, right,' " wide receiver Stevie Johnson said. "So, instead of that, we want it to be: 'They just might -- they've got a pretty decent team.' "

Mission accomplished.

Tom Brady reckoning?

bionic77

Can we all agree that while Michael Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time the real star of this and the last Olympics has always been Bolt?

I have never been more impressed with an Olympic athlete than I was at what Bolt did at Beijing in the 100 and 200m. It was like watching Rich Eisen sprinting against NFL players in the 40, except that Bolt was running against the fastest men on the planet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems Mortensen's tweet about Vilma's suspension being reduced has been confirmed as false by the league now.

He blew it.

eznark

Banned
Can we all agree that while Michael Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time the real star of this and the last Olympics has always been Bolt?

I have never been more impressed with an Olympic athlete than I was at what Bolt did at Beijing in the 100 and 200m. It was like watching Rich Eisen sprinting against NFL players in the 40, except that Bolt was running against the fastest men on the planet.

meh, running straight quickly doesn't impress me as much as it does Al Davis. So far the most impressive performances I've seen have been that 15 year old American swimmer who won the long ass race by half a pool length and the May/Walsh destroying Italy yesterday.

squicken

Another 49ers will fall to Earth column

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8237657/san-francisco-repeat-last-season-greatness

From what I can tell, the only real argument against the fate seemingly awaiting the Niners is the presence of Jim Harbaugh. Perhaps, Niners fans seem to hope, the roster was really a 13-win team all along, just one held back by the bumbling misanthropy of Mike Singletary. I can understand where they're coming from. I've said on the record that I believe the Singletary-to-Harbaugh swap to be the biggest head coaching improvement an NFL team has ever made. Perhaps those Niners really were much better than they played.

But even if Harbaugh's every bit as good as I think he is, it wouldn't be a surprise to see his team slip in 2012. I put Harbaugh in a class with two other head coaches tactically, and they each had a similar fall. Bill Belichick followed a 5-11 debut season with the Patriots by leading New England to a stunning 11-win season, one that ended with a Super Bowl win. The year after, Belichick's team went through a disappointing 9-7 campaign that saw them miss the playoffs. Sean Payton's Saints, meanwhile, pulled off their stunning 10-6 NFC South win during Payton's debut season with the team, one that ended in the NFC championship game. After that season, they retreated to 7-9 and spent two years in the wild before winning the Super Bowl in 2009. It's not like Payton was a terrible coach for those two years, either. This year, coaches will adjust a bit to Harbaugh. His bag of tricks — the sneaky offsides move, the unexpected onside kicks — won't work quite as well. The 2012 49ers can simultaneously have a great coach and still be disappointing.

bionic77

Every team that wins more than 13 games is expected to fall back to Earth. It is the same with winning the SB, realistically you are just not going to repeat in today's NFL unless you are cheat like a motherfucker.

It does kind of put Peyton's regular season run into perspective when they seemed to go 14-0 almost every year and then shut it down, but no one gives a fuck because they always choked in the playoffs.

ez I can't get excited about swimming. It is cool to see the US rack up the gold medals, but it is a boring sport compared to sprinting and most track and field events.

eznark

Banned
ez I can't get excited about swimming. It is cool to see the US rack up the gold medals, but it is a boring sport compared to sprinting and most track and field events.

I don't disagree and this swimming event (the 1800m or something) was even more boring than usual since it took forever. However, seeing a 15 year old kid fucking destroy all of the competition from start to finish was pretty incredible. At the end she looked at the scoreboard and said "what did I just do?!" it was pretty rad. Even she couldn't believe it. It'd be like the Lions winning a Super Bowl.

I like sprinting, I just don't find it terribly impressive to run fast for 10 seconds.

The swimming is a great accomplishment, but let's be honest, nobody but the US gives a fuck about Phelps. The 100M is the jewel of the Olympics.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I'm getting a little worried at all the press sucking our dicks so early on. We still have Ryan Fitzpatrick behind center, and a 30 year old running back. Our D is much improved, but we're still walking into the season with the same offense that only ranked 14th in the league. Even if we're still at 14, I don't see that as being able to grab more than a wild card spot. Brady and Belichick are still probably 5 years away from being an irrelevant combo.

eznark

Banned
The 100M is the jewel of the Olympics.

Really? Huh, never heard that before. And it's not like the US doesn't care about it since we're a solid track country.

Every country has their own "jewel." To France and Australia, seems like swimming is fucking massive for instance. It seems like sprinting is only super important to Jamaicans. Not like people were dancing in the streets because Michael Johnson won the 100m. It was just another gold.

Milchjon

Really? Huh, never heard that before. And it's not like the US doesn't care about it since we're a solid track country.

Every country has their own "jewel." To France and Australia, seems like swimming is fucking massive for instance. It seems like sprinting is only super important to Jamaicans. Not like people were dancing in the streets because Michael Johnson won the 100m. It was just another gold.

Over here, 100 m seems to rule all. And it's not like Germany, or even Europe as a whole, has any chance of competing.

100M was the highest rated event in The UK, Germany, and France, even eclipsing the Opening ceremonies in the latter 2. That's in addition to the US and Canada.

bionic77

Oh shut it. How many times did you bring back Leftwich?
I didn't see this post.

There is an important distinction to be made between Kolb and Sandwich. One is that Leftwich actaully was a starting qb for an NFL team for a number of years before he was replaced by a younger Garrard. And in that time he had some success as a starter. The other is that the Steelers bring him back as a BACKUP. Kolb was marketed to us as a potential star but yankeehater, the Eagles and NFL analysts. If you are part of that group than you deserve to get ridiculed.

eznark

Banned
Women's gymnastics = crown jewel of the Olympics

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/summer-olympics-tv-internet-report/5022/

The Summer Olympics typically increase primetime TV viewership to levels above normal
3rd Quarter usage. Compared to the period before the 2008 Games began, household
TV usage grew by 7 percent, while adult 18-49 usage increased 12 percent. The adult
bump was slightly higher than it was during the 2004 Athens Olympics due to increased
interest among men.

The eight highest rated sports among adults 18-49 during the Summer Olympics were:
1. Women’s Gymnastics All-Around (USA)
2. Women’s Gymnastics Finals
3. Men’s Swimming Finals
4. Women’s Swimming Prelims
5. Women’s Swimming Finals
6. Men’s Swimming Prelims
7. Women’s Gymnastics All-Around (non-USA)
8. Men’s Track Finals

My guess is whatever is on Sunday night prime time will always be the highest rated every year.

The 100m could very well be the crown jewel of the Olympics, but ratings is hardly a good barometer to back up such a claim.

bionic77

Speaking of the Olympics I really should have gone through a proxy and watched everything online through the BBC.

NBC is fucking horrible. I am glad they lost weekly football and only get it one day a week now.

Women's gymnastics = crown jewel of the Olympics

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/summer-olympics-tv-internet-report/5022/

My guess is whatever is on Sunday night prime time will always be the highest rated every year.

The 100m could very well be the crown jewel of the Olympics, but ratings is hardly a good barometer to back up such a claim.

Why isn't it?

This is the Olympics we're talking about here. How many people give a shit about Rowing or Trampoline outside of the events every four years?

Every nation is naturally going to be interested in the events they're expected to win medals in. The US had a strong gymnastics team this year, plus the gymnastics portion was stretched over a number of days.

The 100M crosses national allegiances. As Milchjon said, Germany didn't even have an entrant in the final. How did the Germans feel about Phelps winning those gold medals?

jakncoke

Banned
I didn't see this post.

There is an important distinction to be made between Kolb and Sandwich. One is that Leftwich actaully was a starting qb for an NFL team for a number of years before he was replaced by a younger Garrard. And in that time he had some success as a starter. The other is that the Steelers bring him back as a BACKUP. Kolb was marketed to us as a future HOF'er but yankeehater, the Eagles and NFL analysts. If you are part of that group than you deserve to get ridiculed.

fixed

eznark

Banned
Why isn't it?

This is the Olympics we're talking about here. How many people give a shit about Rowing or Trampoline outside of the events every four years?

Every nation is naturally going to be interested in the events they're expected to win medals in. The US had a strong gymnastics team this year, plus the gymnastics portion was stretched over a number of days.

The 100M crosses national allegiances. As Milchjon said, Germany didn't even have an entrant in the final. How did the Germans feel about Phelps winning those gold medals?

I guess I should have been more specific. Why are you claiming the ratings from one country are indicative of world wide appeal while discounting the ratings from another country as worthless? Using those same numbers you'd have to claim that the 10,000m run and the heptathlon are the next most prestigious events. That's clownish.

I think a better barometer would be to see how many athletes enter and qualify for each event. I believe that using those numbers, it's the men's 100m dash (run) and the men's 100m freestyle (swim) that draw the most competitors.

Milchjon

? The 100M crosses national allegiances. As Milchjon said, Germany didn't even have an entrant in the final. How did the Germans feel about Phelps winning those gold medals?

Well, Germany isn't too bad in the swimming competition usually and Phelps is still the most successful athlete of all time, so of course there was some interest. But it doesn't have the same glamour.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
11393300-standard.jpg

Sean Payton had kind of gotten chunky the last few years. Looking better here. Seems everyone in the NFCS is losing weight.

Someone shop a Vicodin pill over Breesy's head.

I dunno if you can call Kolb bounty-worthy, maybe it was just a free-of-charge bounty?

Seriously though, hard to tell. O line looked solid to me, then again, dunno how much that's worth against Cards D. Brees looked like Brees on one series. Stopped watching after 1 quarter.

I believe FMT put up the bounty: one free handy.

I'm not sure.

Corn on the cob tastes great, but sandwiches are much more diverse. Plus you can eat a sandwich for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I don't think I would eat a corn on the cob in the morning.

No I agree, sandwiches are better than corn on the cob.

Doesn't matter, they're both actually decorative glass ornaments in the shape of food.

eznark

Banned
Well, Germany isn't too bad in the swimming competition usually and Phelps is still the most successful athlete of all time, so of course there was some interest. But it doesn't have the same glamour.

If Hasselhoff were a swimmer, you know the ratings would be through the roof.

Top Bottom