• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

I love Brady but not a Pats fan. Mainly just Brady's hair

y24vi.jpg

Look at dem locks

sonicmj1

I don't particularly like Simmons (though his salty tears were amusing after the Super Bowl), but other contributors write some decent NFL stuff. That article is Barnwell, so if nothing else, it has a lot of stats supporting it.

Milchjon

With my limited expertise, I like reading Barnwell. (Although he might look for a better portrait someday)

barnwell_bill_m.jpg

And what's everyone's problem with Klosterman? I stumbled upon his books some years ago and mostly loved them. They're just enjoyabe to read.

Draxal

Simmons is great when Boston teams are losing, but other than that he's a horrible to read (he does know his NBA stuff, but I hate the NBA).

I think the the NFL writers that have the most cred now are Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News) and Bob McGinn (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel), because they have the best sources.

McGinn's predraft articles are amazing.

Pat Kirwan on NFL.com/Sirius NFL is also amazing as well.

Just saw a dude with a Lakers jacket and a Steelers cap on. You didn't tell me you were visiting Bionic! You looked younger than I imagined.

squicken

All 22 review on Mike Wallace vs Brown

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/41062/77/we-have-football?pg=2

I wound up viewing about 225 snaps and 30 targets of Wallace, and 180 snaps and 30-something targets of Brown. (Brown wasn't quite an every-down player, even during his hot stretch run.) And I think the Steelers are going to sorely miss their best offensive weapon, if they continue to play hardball with him.

Though sometimes billed as a one-trick pony deep threat, Wallace beat the defense in the three games on a variety of patterns. He ran comebacks, drags, and screens in addition to fly routes, and regularly looked like the best player on the field. Wallace is a skinny receiver, but he runs well after the catch, and that was particularly evident in the 49ers game. The Broncos primarily used top cornerback Champ Bailey in coverage of Wallace in the playoffs, while Brown squared off with Andre’ Goodman. Denver released Goodman this offseason. Against New England, the Pats consistently placed two to three defenders in Wallace's vicinity. Bill Belichick was worried about him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
IHOP is quite possibly one of the worst places I have ever "dined". To my knowledge we don't have them up in Ontario. Or if we do they are nowhere near me. I went to visit some friends in St. Louis about 5-6 years ago and figured since I was there I might as well get something fatty. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger; I was shocked to find they slabbed on ridiculous amounts of mayonaisse on one side and then ridiculous amounts of butter on the other side.

Do butter and mayo even go together? Why was there even butter on my burger?

eznark

Banned
If you eat poutine or whatever the fuck it's called I don't think you get to complain about garbo condiment combinations.

cashman

Banned
IHOP is quite possibly one of the worst places I have ever "dined". To my knowledge we don't have them up in Ontario. Or if we do they are nowhere near me. I went to visit some friends in St. Louis about 5-6 years ago and figured since I was there I might as well get something fatty. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger; I was shocked to find they slabbed on ridiculous amounts of mayonaisse on one side and then ridiculous amounts of butter on the other side.

Don't get IHOP for non breakfast items.

Paul Dottino did a twitter Q&A with some interesting tidbits from Giants camp. For those interested with some thoughts of my own:

-Spencer Paysinger is facing an uphill battle for a roster spot.
-Mark Herzlich will eventually be the starting MLB; matter of when, not if. He compared Mark Herzlich to Gary Reasons and said he has looked "terrific" so far.
- Questioned Ramses Barden's heart/desire and talent level.
- Eli Manning is looking very sharp.
- Not too worried about the loss of Aaron Ross as the team has enough talent at CB.
- Will Hill is looking more and more like the 3rd Safety.
- Thinks Osi Umenyiora will have a big year in his contract year.
- Thinks Baas will have a good season as well.
- We could see Jason Pierre-Paul in a stand-up stance in sub packages.
- Bear Pascoe is a move TE/H-back, not a traditional TE. And since Martellus Bennett is paid like a starter, he better win the starting job.
- Said there is still some questions/worries about the TE position.
- No answer about David Wilson's ball security and blitz pick-up skills improving. He needs to see him in a game situation.
- Mitch Petrus will not compete for a starting job this year.
- Shaun Rogers will have to play better than Norman Hand in did because Rogers will have a bigger role.
- David Douglas is in a fight for the #6 WR spot. Not ready to give him a roster spot yet.
- Danny Ware and David Wilson will be #2 RB by committee.
- David Diehl has looked very focused.
- Starters will probably get the first 2 possessions on Friday vs Jaguars.
- Not sure if Prince Amukamara will play on Friday because of the minor hamstring issue.
-Plaxico Burress and/or Jeremy Shockey will NOT be back with the team.
- Keith Rivers has looked very active.
- Da'Rel Scott will see the field some this year.
- As of right now, Da'Rel Scott is outperforming Andre Brown for a roster spot.
- Linval Joseph has had a very good camp and has clearly played better than Marvin Austin.

A few interesting bits highlighted there. Herzlich has been having a stellar camp from what I've read so I'm happy to hear he's pushing for that starting position. I love Chase and what he did for us last season but Mark has a far higher ceiling.

Barden continues to disappoint. It's looking like Jernigan/Hixon are *the* guys vying for that #3 WR position. Randle is also in the mix but Coughlin isn't one to throw a rookie out there if he doesn't have to. Especially at the WR position.

I'm surprised that Petrus isn't in the mix for a starting position but I suppose that says more about how well Boothe is playing. Petrus will eventually man one of those guard positions, IMO. It's a question of when (likely when Snee hangs it up).

bluemax

Banned
That's also in the article.

The Niners had an incredible run thanks to a lot of injury luck, otherworldly special teams, and an incredible turnover ratio. It's pretty damn unlikely that every one of those things will remain true two seasons in a row while they face tougher opponents.

These are the main reasons the 49ers record will be worse this year. But attempting to discuss anything about the 49ers around here just results in you getting brow beaten by FMTs hyperbole train.

IHOP is one of two places I remember as a kid my parents actually making us leave without eating. I didn't eat at IHOP for YEARS because the one near our house growing up had such bad service. Then a few years back I remember IHOP running a commercial for some specialty pancakes of some kind and my gf at the time wanted to try them, so we went to IHOP, got there and there was a LINE (wtf) then when we got inside they had a notice on like every menu that they were OUT of the type of pancakes they were advertising heavily in commercials. I haven't been back since.

There's a diner in the bowling alley here that has way better pancakes.

squicken

Paul Dottino did a twitter Q&A with some interesting tidbits from Giants camp. For those interested with some thoughts of my own:

A few interesting bits highlighted there. Herzlich has been having a stellar camp from what I've read so I'm happy to hear he's pushing for that starting position. I love Chase and what he did for us last season but Mark has a far higher ceiling.

Barden continues to disappoint. It's looking like Jernigan/Hixon are *the* guys vying for that #3 WR position. Randle is also in the mix but Coughlin isn't one to throw a rookie out there if he doesn't have to. Especially at the WR position.

I'm surprised that Petrus isn't in the mix for a starting position but I suppose that says more about how well Boothe is playing. Petrus will eventually man one of those guard positions, IMO. It's a question of when (likely when Snee hangs it up).

Aren't the Giants pretty reliant on their LBs to stop the run? In that they favor larger backers over smaller, fast guys?

Milchjon

Didn't realize I have to publish "Steelers sports fan weekly" to be able to criticize someone.

Along with two pieces of valid government ID and a piss test. Hey, we all had to.

I thought he was referring to the quality of sports journalists?

Anyway, this story from Pagano about Luck's first practice made me chuckle:

"He goes up to the line of scrimmage during blitz period, they set the protection, OK, the defense rotates a little bit early, he starts his cadence," Pagano explained. "He's got time on the play clock, and so he changes the protection. He throws out a code word, I'm not gonna tell you what that code word is, but he throws out a code word to change the protection because he recognized where the pressure was coming from.

"And we had to stop the play and re-huddle, because nobody knew what he was talking about.

squicken said:
Aren't the Giants pretty reliant on their LBs to stop the run? In that they favor larger backers over smaller, fast guys?
Depends on the defensive package on the field. The Giants defense plays a majority of its snaps in the big nickel package. Only two linebackers on the field in that package with the third safety usually in the box depending on the defensive read to help stop the run (or cover the TE).

Fewell will put a third linebacker in base defense on the field at times though but calling it the base defense is a bit misleading. You're right in that the Giants want their LB'ers to have size. Jacquain Williams bulked up to 240 (he was 220 last season) and was lauded by LB coach Jim Hermann as having the ability to be an every down linebacker thanks to the added size. Recently though, the team has emphasized more agility at the position. In the past you had guys like Goff who were good run stoppers but poor at covering tight ends or making those "sideline to sideline" plays. Now you have more agile, longer bodies like Williams and Herzlich coming up. I personally like the trend. There's good room for guys like Kiwi who can break into the backfield on a run play but the Giants have lacked guys at the position that can keep up with tight ends and with that position evolving - we need more coverage guys.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Both David DeCastro and Mike Adams will start the Steelers' first pre-season game.

I need to crank up the 'what to watch for'. I'll do it tonight, I hope everyone joins in. We had a good turn out last year.

Don't get IHOP for non breakfast items.

This. You fucked up when you ordered something not off the breakfast menu from IHOP.

Even so, IHOP is overrated, IMO. The breakfast is decent, but not nearly worth the price and waiting for food (when an IHOP is a town, you'd swear it's the only thing serving breakfast for miles, because EVERYBODY goes there). All buzz, little substance.

There are breakfast places where you can get better food at lower prices with less hassle.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I wish I knew that. My friends were the ones who took me there during the afternoon. :(

So far every fast food type place I've tried in the states has been terrible. I haven't tried many but so far:

White Castle (which I knew was terrible and it still disappointed)
Hardee's
IHOP
Jack-in-the-box

squicken

Depends on the defensive package on the field. The Giants defense plays a majority of its snaps in the big nickel package. Only two linebackers on the field in that package with the third safety usually in the box depending on the defensive read to help stop the run.

Fewell will put a third linebacker in base defense on the field at times though but calling it the base defense is a bit misleading. You're right in that the Giants want their LB'ers to have size. Jacquain Williams bulked up to 240 (he was 220 last season) and was lauded by LB coach Jim Hermann as having the ability to be an every down linebacker thanks to the added size.

Recently though, the team has emphasized more agility at the position. In the past you had guys like Goff who were good run stoppers but poor at covering tight ends. Now you have more agile, longer bodies like Williams and Herzlich coming up. I personally like the trend. There's good room for guys like Kiwi who can break into the backfield on a run play but the Giants have lacked guys at the position that can keep up with tight ends and with that positio evolving - we need more coverage guys.

Yeah everyone wants the Gronk of LBs. Brian Cushing when on steroids is a pretty good approximation of that, actually

Top Bottom