• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Man gator you dont think much of that Pats team. They supposedly had a great coach and QB, the other had major injuries, the Pats had SB experience unlike the Eagles and the Pats cheated, and you still think the Eagles should have won. I guess I shouldnt expect loyalty from a frontrunner though.

Brinbe

Charles Johnson/Torrence Small
James Trash/Todd Stinkston/FredEx... good times, good times. For all of Don's faults with wormburners/unclutch play, there's no doubting he put up elite numbers and great wins with absolute garbage surrounding him, especially at wideout. The Pats and Lord Brady don't compare to what he had to work with during the early 2000s.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting to win that SB. Call me a pessimist after all those conference final failures, but we've never performed well against the Pats, or most top-tier teams during that era (we usually got it done against poor/similarly leveled opposition though, which boosted our overall win totals) I was actually surprised it was as close it was.

You don't.

But when I am elected President Pats fans will be forced to wear collar tags (along with pedophiles and dangerous felons) so that the general public can be aware of them.

Collar tags don't work. Just stitch something to their jackets. Something bright that catches the eye, like a star.

Dragon

Banned
But they literally did. This is undisputed and factual.

How do you live with yourself?

What's the alternative? Being a Bills fan?

Tom Brady also lost Superbowls with Wes Welker. And last year with Welker and GronkGRONK.

Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl. Argument over.

The original point was blaming lack of quality receivers for a quarterback's less than stellar play isn't a great argument.

Your point about Dilfer actually proves my point.

After Spygate numbers are still better than McNabb's playoff numbers in his career.

Way to shoot for the Moon. When Brady retires with no SB wins he can say "at least I was as good as Mcnabb". Mcnabb had 1 good WR for 1 year, Brady has had a great WR in Welker for multiple seasons.

Wrayfield

Your point about Dilfer actually proves my point.

My point was, you don't necessarioly need a good QB or good receivers to win it, therefore the whole McRibb Lady Brady talk is bollocks.

I still believe a solid RB, playaction O and a stellar D can win you a Superbowl, but only with good playcalling. That means, there is hope for Tebow, there is hope for Smallhands.

Tebow only if Rex Ryan leaves, of course. Sparano's playcalling will be good for exactly one season then he will micromanage the Jets into oblivion. He is the opposite of Slants-Schotty.

BigAT

So I'm just now seeing the Jets wide receiver depth chart for the first time. WOW, it is atrocious. They have absolutely no one after Santonio "team chemistry" Holmes. Who's the second best receiver on their team, Chaz Schilens (271 receiving yards last year)? I know they drafted Stephen Hill, but having read a fair amount about him since the Giants were also interested in him, it sounded like he was fairly raw and would take a good amount of time to develop. How could they go the entire offseason and come back with such an awful group of receivers?

Oh well, at least the Jets have two elite quarterbacks to throw to them.

louielaughingcilsk.gif

Dragon

Banned
Way to shoot for the Moon. When Brady retires with no SB wins he can say "at least I was as good as Mcnabb". Mcnabb had 1 good WR for 1 year, Brady has had a great WR in Welker for multiple seasons.

McNabb should take notes from Derek Lowe. Become an alcoholic ground ball pitcher. He's already got the ground ball part right.

bionic77

My point was, you don't necessarioly need a good QB or good receivers to win it, therefore the whole McRibb Lady Brady talk is bollocks.

I still believe a solid RB, playaction O and a stellar D can win you a Superbowl, but only with good playcalling. That means, there is hope for Tebow, there is hope for Smallhands.

Tebow only if Rex Ryan leaves, of course. Sparano's playcalling will be good for exactly one season then he will micromanage the Jets into oblivion. He is the opposite of Slants-Schotty.
It is possible to win with an average qb but it is very rare in the NFL. Solid RB, play action, and stellar defense describes like every Schottyball team, but they were all missing great qb's and found ways to lose in the playoffs. I have seen plenty of these teams from the Steelers in the 90s and early 00s and those teams were really good, but the problem is that when you get behind you have to change you plan and put the game in your qb's hands. Small handed and average to below average qb's so very rarely come through in those circumstances and it makes the degree of difficulty of winning a SB without an elite qb almost impossible.

It can happen, but a lot has to go your way because in almost every playoff run there is going to be one game where something goes wrong on offense or defense, and the other unit has to bail the team out. Once you get behind it is really tough to run your way back into the game in the playoffs.

Then again being lucky as fuck is probably the best way to win the SB these days. Regular season means shit. Just get in, have a qb with a hot hand and with a few breaks your team could be SB champion*.

* To avoid needlessly getting peoples' hopes up this does not apply to the Browns, Cardinals, Lions, Jaguars or Redskins.

Wrayfield

It is possible to win with an average qb but it is very rare in the NFL. Solid RB, play action, and stellar defense describes like every Schottyball team, but they were all missing great qb's and found ways to lose in the playoffs. I have seen plenty of these teams from the Steelers in the 90s and early 00s and those teams were really good, but the problem is that when you get behind you have to change you plan and put the game in your qb's hands. Small handed and average to below average qb's so very rarely come through in those circumstances and it makes the degree of difficulty of winning a SB without an elite qb almost impossible.

It can happen, but a lot has to go your way because in almost every playoff run there is going to be one game where something goes wrong on offense or defense, and the other unit has to bail the team out. Once you get behind it is really tough to run your way back into the game in the playoffs.

Then again being lucky as fuck is probably the best way to win the SB these days. Regular season means shit. Just get in, have a qb with a hot hand and with a few breaks your team could be SB champion*.

* To avoid needlessly getting peoples' hopes up this does not apply to the Browns, Cardinals, Lions, Jaguars or Redskins.

We must have a different definition of "stellar D" then.

Edit: To clarify, stellar Ds hardly allow any points. If they do, they make up with enough forced turnovers and some scoring of their own. Roethlisberger is a good QB, he is not great. Your running game and a great, at times stellar D, and yes, a good portion of luck at the right moment, got you two rings with him. Point is, there are only, what, 3 or 4 great QBs in the game, chances are you don't have the luxury of having one on your team. Still possible to win games. My opinion, for what it's worth.

bionic77

We must have a different definition of "stellar D" then.
A lot of Schottyball teams were regular season juggernauts with high seeds and great running games and defenses going into the playoffs. See your Chargers for the most recent example. And that came from the source!

I don't think it is a coincidence that he and his disciples never won without a great qb. Cowher only won after Ben came to town, despite being and losing in the AFC Championship on an annual basis.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Unless you have a top defense of all time these days, you're not winning without a great QB. The game has simply shifted too much in favor of a passing offense.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
If you know the other teams offensive signals it is easy to put guys in the right spot. Even a terrible coach like the cheat couldnt fuck that up.

it's the defensive signals that were in question. McNabb choked it up in that super bowl, especially that first pick he threw, blaming it on the wind.

I hope you're not serious about this, you look pretty petty and stupid.

I say this everytime this comes up, anyone who thinks every team wasn't taping defensive signals is crazy (since it was legal, as long as your camera was on your own sideline). what NE did that violated the rules was have their camera on the opponents sideline.

brentech

I got the clearance from my doctor to start walking in my boot.
I have no balance with my right leg at this point, so for now it's just using a support crutch on my right side and putting more and more pressure on that foot.

He has me starting PT 3 times a week. Initially didn't plan to have me doing PT, but my foot is really locked up and needs to become flexible. He wants me able to walk without the boot in 4 weeks. I'll aim for 3

ChanHuk

Banned
Good to see Mike Goodson was released from the hospital. Never a good thing when someone goes down like that.

Where them Panthers fans at? I can see why Goodson was buried in the depth chart with their stable of backs. Apparently he has fumbling issues?

Talon

Good to see Mike Goodson was released from the hospital. Never a good thing when someone goes down like that.

Where them Panthers fans at? I can see why Goodson was buried in the depth chart with their stable of backs. Apparently he has fumbling issues?
He had a DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are ahead of him and paid beaucoup money issue.

Dragon

Banned
I know the concept is confusing for you guys, but there is an alternative. It's called NOT cheating. You guys are trying it right now, in fact. Pay attention!

That anyone knows about. Let's be honest for every Saints or Pats situation there are teams that never get caught. The whole idea that the Pats won because they cheated is asinine. The difference in their SB wins versus their losses is a combination of luck and ridiculous plays by the opposition.

Striker

Tom Brady playoff stats by era:

SPYGATE

9 games. 9-0. 11 tds. 3 ints.

3 Super Bowls.

AFTER SPYGATE

12 games. 7-5. 25tds. 16 ints.

0 Super Bowls.
And post-spygate, he had one game against the Tebow-Broncos that he had six TD's. Overall, he hasn't been a great post-season QB since 2007. You won't find people to argue it because "HAY HE WINZ!" mentality.

edit: For Packer fans. Mike Silver with long piece on your team

-Matthews: "NYG didn't beat us. We beat ourselves"
-Rodgers has new TD dance
-Edgier camp
Clay needs to take some more roids. Maybe he won't have such a pedestrian season and won't allow his defense to get destroyed on their own turf.

BigAT

It feels so good to see Green Bay is still salty and making excuses for getting absolutely embarrassed on their home field. Even after getting gifted two touchdowns by the refs they still couldn't make it a close game.

"We beat ourselves" is the new "b-b-b-but Kyle Williams!"

bionic77

It feels so good to see Green Bay is still salty and making excuses for getting absolutely embarrassed on their home field. Even after getting gifted two touchdowns by the refs they still couldn't make it a close game.

It would be delicious if the Pack went through a stretch like the 2009 Steelers after their SB win where they were in denial and kept thinking they were beating themselves, and then went on to lose like 5 games in a row against 4 of the worst teams in football.

squicken

I got the clearance from my doctor to start walking in my boot.
I have no balance with my right leg at this point, so for now it's just using a support crutch on my right side and putting more and more pressure on that foot.

He has me starting PT 3 times a week. Initially didn't plan to have me doing PT, but my foot is really locked up and needs to become flexible. He wants me able to walk without the boot in 4 weeks. I'll aim for 3

Good to here. Sucks about the ankle locking up. Why use a single crutch? Get yourself a fine ass cane

Giants didn't beat us bro, Kyle Williams did! Admit he was your MVP! ADMIT IT!

Milchjon

That reminds me, I haven't yet made enough excuses for the SB loss.

First, let me say, fuck Pollard. Without Gronk's injury, that Hail Mary would've been a surefire TD, obviously.

Next, fuck the rest of the NFC East for letting that undeserving team get into the Playoffs in the first place.

And fuck Kyle Williams for letting the Giants get lucky.

Also, I think my wounds have finally healed enough to watch a replay of the SB.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait, there's only three avowed Chiefs fans here? I don't believe that. KCGAF numbers in the dozens, and there's no Kansas Citian that isn't also a Chiefs fan. That's like Raiders fans that aren't also part-time pretend bikers. Just goes together.

Top Bottom