• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL votes to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles for the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

relocation is such bullshit. people invest so much of their time, money, and memories in a team and then they up and leave to get a better stadium after holding the city at gunpoint

fuck that. as an owner you shouldn't even have the right to move a team unless you can show that you can't turn a profit because people aren't showing up to games. it should never happen over stadium disputes.

relocation is such bullshit. people invest so much of their time, money, and memories in a team and then they up and leave to get a better stadium after holding the city at gunpoint

fuck that. as an owner you shouldn't even have the right to move a team unless you can show that you can't turn a profit because people aren't showing up to games. it should never happen over stadium disputes.

cosigned. more nfl fuckery.

Mindlog

Rams have a little bitter history with the Bucs back when the Bucs were good, but it's a damn shame to see them move :\
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said Raiders or Chargers get an additional $100M toward a stadium if they remain where they are
Bastards know that won't even build the concession stands lol.

Spanos takes the hard L.

GeeDuhb

So instead of playing in their 20 year old stadiums, The Rams want spend the next couple years playing in a building that's almost 100? Fuck off.

Yeah, it is a very sad stadium. USC has been pushing for it for years in hopes they can get money to do some upgrades for the years the NFL team plays there. You are not even mentioning the fact that the Stadium is in a horrid neighborhood and fans take their lives into their hands every time they go to a game lol.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
London: We want football!

NFL: Sure, here's the Jacksonville Jaguars!

London: .....YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY

Me: *headdesk*

Jags aren't moving to London. Stop this shit. We're on the rise. Fanbase is strong, owner has put in $76 million dollars of his own money into the stadium. Biggest scoreboards in the world and swimming pools. Defiantly sound like a team moving to fucking London right ?

Chase17

LA Rams are in London next season vs the Giants. Should be good.

Yeah, that's a solid game. It doesn't help that the one team guaranteed to play there each year is the Jags (although I think this has to do with the owner and his ties to a soccer organization).

jblank83

I'm really interested in seeing how they'll try to convince San Diego to vote in favor of helping pay for a new stadium.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/10/stadium-financing-chargers-eir-chicago/

The city of SD's last proposal was a $1.1 billion stadium with funding broken down as follows...

350m - public funding
350m - Spanos family funding
200m - NFL funding
200m - Personal Seat Licensing

At the time, Spanos didn't bother to consider it seriously. We'll see if 100m changes how he feels about that. I'm not sure 100m is enough to change his mind, but he seems not to want to cohabitate with Kroenke or be the NFL equivalent of the LA Clippers, so maybe it's enough to soften the blow.

cruets

Goodell a couple days ago: San Diego and Oakland are no longer viable options.

Today: Here's 100 million. Make something happen.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I never said they were, but they'll keep playing games over there, no? Aren't they locked in for like the next 3-4 years?

We weren't forced to. It's Khan's doing. It's all about that $$$ and giving the brand national spotlight which it never had. 1 game per year. It's not about trying to move there, it's about growing the brand.

I'm a Rams fan but I live far enough away that going to games isn't really viable.

So I guess now I am still a Rams fan? What's the proper etiquette in these situations? I am a St. Louis fan because my family is from St. Louis. Does this give me a free pass to cheer for any team now?

I guess, it is hard to know if the new Rams are still my Rams. My inclination is that I now cheer on the LA Rams... But man fuck LA.

Chase17

I never said they were, but they'll keep playing games over there, no? Aren't they locked in for like the next 3-4 years?

Through 2020. Jags owner has mentioned that he is interested in a long term deal that would see them play a game there through 2030 (lol).

Faddy

Banned
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/10/stadium-financing-chargers-eir-chicago/

The city of SD's last proposal was a $1.1 billion stadium with funding broken down as follows.

350m - public funding
200m - NFL funding

At the time, Spanos didn't bother to consider it seriously. We'll see if 100m changes how he feels about that. I'm not sure 100m is enough to change his mind, but he seems not to want to cohabitate with Kroenke, so maybe it's enough to soften the blow.

The NFL ruled this out since the maximum they could contribute was $100m. So my question now is the $100m announced tonight for the Raiders and Charges over and above the existing stadium fund or is it just an assurance both teams will be able to get access to the maximum amount of money.

jblank83

The NFL ruled this out since the maximum they could contribute was $100m. So my question now is the $100m announced tonight for the Raiders and Charges over and above the existing stadium fund or is it just an assurance both teams will be able to get access to the maximum amount of money.

Good question

SeanC

So they're playing at the Coliseum until that stadium is built?

That's going to be weird...but kinda cool. Like old-school football. No boxes. No big jumbo TV from the ceiling. Neat.

johnny956

I'm a Rams fan but I live far enough away that going to games isn't really viable.

So I guess now I am still a Rams fan? What's the proper etiquette in these situations? I am a St. Louis fan because my family is from St. Louis. Does this give me a free pass to cheer for any team now?

I guess, it is hard to know if the new Rams are still my Rams. My inclination is that I now cheer on the LA Rams... But man fuck LA.

Now it's okay to cheer for the Arizona Cardinals again in St. Louis lol

Parham

Banned
Bastards know that won't even build the concession stands lol.

Spanos takes the hard L.

If this is how the league intends on "taking care" of the Raiders, Davis got shafted big time.

The city of SD's last proposal was a $1.1 billion stadium with funding broken down as follows.

350m - public funding
200m - NFL funding

At the time, Spanos didn't bother to consider it seriously. We'll see if 100m changes how he feels about that. I'm not sure 100m is enough to change his mind, but he seems not to want to cohabitate with Kroenke, so maybe it's enough to soften the blow.

$350 million is a pretty big chunk of change. Even if the proposed $100 million provided by the league is on top of the current estimated contributions, public funding only goes down to $250 million. That is still a lot to ask for from the public.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So instead of playing in their 20 year old stadiums, The Rams want spend the next couple years playing in a building that's almost 100? Fuck off.

If I remember correctly, the LA Coliseum has hosted two Olympic games and has been proposed for a future one. How many Olympics has the twenty year old St. Louis stadium hosted?

Etiquette says you can change teams in this situation. Some will disagree, but they are wrong.

You can also stick with the Rams. Follow your heart, bro

$100 million isn't shit. That's the same amount of extra money STL asked for in their stadium proposal. FYI the maximum money the NFL will contribute is $200m, so this makes it a whopping $300m in funding. It's basically nothing.

I'm getting the impression neither Spanos nor Davis is happy with what happened, judging by my Twitter timeline. Next few months/years will be interesting.

We weren't forced to. It's Khan's doing. It's all about that $$$ and giving the brand national spotlight which it never had. 1 game per year. It's not about trying to move there, it's about growing the brand.

1 game is like 5 games too many

We must stop this UK Invasion at all costs!

Through 2020. Jags owner has mentioned that he is interested in a long term deal that would see them play a game there through 2030 (lol).

Christ on sale

This happened in Baltimore and people fell into three groups:

1) They started cheering for the closest team. In Baltimore's case it was the Redskins (The poor bastards.). This was probably the most common.

2) People picked a random NFL team to cheer for because they didn't give a shit about the Redskins. Second most common, and what everyone in my family went with. In this group there were also Steelers fans, but they were bandwagoning fucks.

3) People kept on cheering for the Colts. This was the least common because everyone was bitter at the owner for not only taking the team (In the middle of the night like a coward), but also took the name and legacy so that Baltimore could never be the Colts again, and (If I remember correctly.) all of the stats and Championships stayed with the Colts name.

Tobor

Etiquette says you can change teams in this situation. Some will disagree, but they are wrong.

You can also stick with the Rams. Follow your heart, bro

Proper etiquette is for your hatred to build and build while you curse the league and the owner of your old team until you finally get a new team which you'll never love as much and will never fully extinguish the pain buried deep in your soul.

JABEE

Philly has goddamn spectres of sports teams, not real sports teams dammit

Philadelphia is a vibrant sports city with great fan support.

The Flyers sell out even when the team is bad.

The Eagles aren't going anywhere. First-class owners, franchise, fans, city, and stadium.

johnny956

Makes as much sense as anything and the mascots match up with the STL Cards. I'm convinced. Which player on the Arizona Cardinals is worth owning a jersey?

Get a Kurt Warner jersey when he played for Arizona. That's bonus points there

Philadelphia is a vibrant sports city with great fan support.

The Flyers sell out even when the team is bad.

The Eagles aren't going anywhere. First-class owners, franchise, fans, city, and stadium.

Jabee this isn't NFL-GAF, you don't have to lie

If you need a hug, I can help you

Don't trust the process

Proper etiquette is for your hatred to build and build while you curse the league and the owner of your old team until you finally get a new team which you'll never love as much and will never fully extinguish the pain buried deep in your soul.
This is the route my Dad took.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom