• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

bionic77

Isn't it still before 6 AM across the Atlantic? Some of you guys are up early.
Though Obama is going to eventually turn us into a Muslim welfare state like Europe, for now at least most Americans have to do this thing called work, and that often requires you to get up early.

It would be nice to get up at the crack of noon like most Europeans and then head down to the Eiffel Tower to get your welfare check and eat some fresh pastries while drinking an espresso, but that is just not how we roll.

Milchjon

Though Obama is going to eventually turn us into a Muslim welfare state like Europe, for now at least most Americans have to do this thing called work, and that often requires you to get up early.

It would be nice to get up at the crack of noon like most Europeans and then head down to the Eiffel Tower to get your welfare check and eat some fresh pastries while drinking an espresso, but that is just not how we roll.

You should try it once, it's really rather nice!

For real though, unless you're a farmer, have an endless commute or take 2 hours in the bathroom, anything before 6 seems pretty damn early to me.

bionic77

You should try it once, it's really rather nice!

For real though, unless you're a farmer, have an endless commute or take 2 hours in the bathroom, anything before 6 seems pretty damn early to me.
You can get used to almost anything.

It sucks getting up early in the winter though because it is dark as fuck and it does not feel right. I don't mind it all and in fact like it in the summer (weather is nice and no traffic or cops).

squicken

No idea why Jerry Jones thought he could rewrite the history of the JJ Cowboys. Everyone knew then and knows now that Jimmy ran the show. Jimmy actually negotiated every contract that they gave out, and produced the team's TV shows to make them more money. I can understand why he burned out, but the dude burned bright. I hated him and his teams at UM and DAL but it's impossible not to respect him

“Jimmy is coach and chief executive officer of the Dallas Cowboys,’” Jones told Miklasz. “Jimmy has the capacity to run major corporations, so he can certainly handle the Cowboys. It’s a unique situation, but he has unique abilities.”

In the excerpt below, Miklasz explains that Johnson’s powers extended well beyond the football field:

Johnson has thrown himself into the job, usually arriving at 5
a.m. and working late into the night. He may rival [Joe] Gibbs, considered the most fervent workaholic among NFL coaches. But even Gibbs, at least publicly, tries to give the impression that his family comes first.

Not Johnson.

“I’ve got one love, and that’s winning football games,’ he said.
“That’s the No. 1 priority in my life. That’s why I work the way I
work. Fortunately for me, my family understands that. A lot of people may disagree with that, that it isn’t right, that it isn’t the way to do things, that football shouldn’t come first. But that’s the way it
is.’

In fewer than 100 days at Valley Ranch, Johnson has:

*Fired Gil Brandt and reorganized the scouting department. Johnson
made each of the Cowboys’ 14 draft picks last month.

*Personally negotiated player contracts. The last time an NFL coach
handled contracts regularly was [George] Allen, in the early 1970s with the Redskins.

*Taken over production of the Cowboys’ two weekly television shows; he determined that the shows could be more profitable under a new set-up and hired a new producer to coordinate the effort.

*Studied the team’s ticket operations. He recently reviewed the
list of complimentary tickets handed out under the previous regime and decided to cut down. Johnson picked up the phone and began calling total strangers, telling them their free tickets had been eliminated.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-football-operations-from-the-beginning.html/

cajunator

Banned

I usually go to sleep around 10 AM and sleep until about 4 PM.
Except when Im off work, in which case I sleep around midnight and wake up around 5 AM. I love getting up early with the sunrise.

LevelNth

Banned
IMO all the Wilson love is just typical hyperbolic East media overreaction to a guy they never talk about or watch because of one seam pass to Sydney Rice against the Patriots.

Wilson has a long way to go, and frankly right now, hasn't shown anything superlative to me to indicate he's going to be the best QB in this division. IMO so far it's still Bradford.

I haven't watched much of Wilson since the Rams game, but all the media people say he's just so much better now and they are running a full playbook and he's going to rule the NFCW for years, so you might want to change your tune there bub

I actually have sort of changed my feelings on Cheatin' Pete. I get a laugh out of a 60+ year old man acting young and trying to stay hip and all that dumb crap he thinks matters. I think he's a bad game day coach who probably needs to be a CEO type more than the Xs and Os guy, but I think he actually built the roster the right way.

He got the defense and OL ready before he added his QB. He knew that asking a young QB to win games with no surrounding talent would be a recipe for disaster, so rebuilt the roster with Hasselbeck and TJack playing caretaker. They have a great run game and can protect the QB, and have average but young WRs who can grow with the QB

They can bring Wilson along slowly as the year goes on, and it's hard to argue with the results. They will make the playoffs, and with that defense and Russell's ascension to elite status, who knows?

I like that you continue ducking the avatar bet

I proposed the avatar bet to you in last thread so of course I'm in!

And wussle isn't good. Time will prove me right

squicken

IMO all the Wilson love is just typical hyperbolic East media overreaction to a guy they never talk about or watch because of one seam pass to Sydney Rice against the Patriots.

Wilson has a long way to go, and frankly right now, hasn't shown anything superlative to me to indicate he's going to be the best QB in this division. IMO so far it's still Bradford.

Bill Simmons jumped off the Josh Freeman flotilla and had Russell as pre-season MVP and SB winner. Every national pundit has said he would eventually be great and was a winner since the day he was drafted. It almost seemed like a contest to make sure everyone else knew that they loved him. Clearly the trained eye sees greatness in him

I proposed the avatar bet to you in last thread so of course I'm in!

And wussle isn't good. Time will prove me right

okay so im taking SF

cajunator

Banned

Have to agree. Wilson had some downright awful games already. He has potential though. Most of the new QBs do. Its been a pretty good batch of rookies. Even Weeden.

Bill Simmons jumped off the Josh Freeman flotilla and had Russell as pre-season MVP and SB winner. Every national pundit has said he would eventually be great and was a winner since the day he was drafted. It almost seemed like a contest to make sure everyone else knew that they loved him. Clearly the trained eye sees greatness in him

okay so im taking SF

Just like Bradford, newton and a million other Johnny come latelies. Will wussle be good? It's possible but I doubt it. I've already seen this story and I know how it ends. Seahawks will finish with 7 or 8 wins, narrowly miss the playoffs and have hope for next year but the same thing will happen again

squicken

Just like Bradford, newton and a million other Johnny come latelies. Will wussle be good? It's possible but I doubt it. I've already seen this story and I know how it ends. Seahawks will finish with 7 or 8 wins, narrowly miss the playoffs and have hope for next year but the same thing will happen again

Difference is Bradford, Alex and Cam went to crappy teams and were immediately the best player on the roster. If those teams were going to win, those guys had to have big games

Russell, like Rodgers, Rapitst, and Brady, is in a place where he doesn't have to shoulder a huge burden right away, and gets to play with lots of Pro Bowl players. Like your boy Steve Young says, the most important attribute in determining a QB prospect's success is the situation he lands in. All Russ has to do is be a winner and clutch and everything else falls into place

Difference is Bradford, Alex and Cam went to crappy teams and were immediately the best player on the roster. If those teams were going to win, those guys had to have big games

Russell, like Rodgers, Rapitst, and Brady, is in a place where he doesn't have to shoulder a huge burden right away, and gets to play with lots of Pro Bowl players. Like your boy Steve Young says, the most important attribute in determining a QB prospect's success is the situation he lands in. All Russ has to do is be a winner and clutch and everything else falls into place

Is that all he has to do? Well shit put him in the HOF now!

bionic77

The Steelers were 6-10 the year before Ben was drafted. They have been lights out ever since we landed Troy and Ben. Not a coincidence. Though I am worried about Troy. He has not been great since 2009 when he got hurt against the Titans. He is always injured now and if he is going to continue playing we need to change his role dramatically and find a true free safety. I feel like Clark is more durable though and probably a better investment at this point. I can actually see us ditching Troy, which would suck because be is one of my all time favorite players.

Such a shame, imagine how far Alex Smith would be. All he needed to be start becoming mediocre was a HOF coach (probably the best ever). He already had one of the top 3 TEs in the league, a powerful running game, dominant O Line, and an elite front seven with one of the best overall defenses in the league.

Such a shame, imagine how far Alex Smith would be. All he needed to be start becoming mediocre was a HOF coach (probably the best ever). He already had one of the top 3 TEs in the league, a powerful running game, dominant O Line, and an elite front seven with one of the best overall defenses in the league.

Harbs turned Alex into a top 5 qb. Imagine what he could do with a qb who had pocket presence and had the courage to throw receivers open!

squicken

The Steelers were 6-10 the year before Ben was drafted. They have been lights out ever since we landed Troy and Ben. Not a coincidence. Though I am worried about Troy. He has not been great since 2009 when he got hurt against the Titans. He is always injured now and if he is going to continue playing we need to change his role dramatically and find a true free safety. I feel like Clark is more durable though and probably a better investment at this point. I can actually see us ditching Troy, which would suck because be is one of my all time favorite players.

imo, that 6-10 group was a better team than that but just had an awful QB. Upgrading to a good but not yet great rookie was all they needed

As far as Troy, he has just played the game so violently, he was never going to last long. Really fun to watch, but I too think he is done. Clark isn't Troy, but he too plays the game so physical that he too will probably have a short career. Ed Reed is the exception at safety, and even then, he did that by not really tackling and playing 50 yards deep

I really wish the Dolphins had a decent secondary. Richard Marshall is on IR now and the fact that people are even looking at that as a significant loss says a lot. At this point there is no reason not to pass against the Dolphins 50 times a game unless your QB is Mark Sanchez.

beast786

I just recently expanded and bought a practice in Downtown chicago. The guy I bought it from was retiring on disability from a injury to his right shoulder. Being a surgeon, he couldnt work .

Today I found out he got that injury from high five "benny the bull" during a bulls game. He also sued the bulls and won some.

Amazing.

And yet teams like the cards and rams didn't draft oline early. Learn from the niners! Build those lines!

You're preaching to the choir, buddy. You'd be hard pressed to find a Cards fan that hasn't screamed for OT early in the past multiple drafts. I don't know if they are just going off of Grimm's opinion on potential and talent and he has zero evaluation ability, or if Graves refuses to use an early pick on the position after going for Brown with the 5th over all and will hear comments about choosing him over Adrian Peterson until the end of his days. It couldn't be more obvious we need a top tackle prospect and it's a horrible feeling to know that we'll just stick with Brown and ignore it yet again.

At least he'll be a huge upgrade over Batiste, anyone would be. In fact, we already gave snaps to Nate Potter, our 7th round pick and he will get more time going forward, could even start next week. He looked good last week but only played 7 snaps or so against Mathews since he left the game soon afterwards.

squicken

btw the Rams drafted Jason Smith to be the LT with the #2 overall pick in 2009, knew about 10 minutes later they made a huge mistake, drafted Rodger Saffold with the #33 overall pick in 2010 to be the LT, he fucking sucks too, so they will use another first round pick next year on a LT. They also spent huge FA money on both Jason Brown and Jacob Bell in 2009/2010 to shore up the interior of the line. Surprise, surprise, they both sucked and are out of football before ever playing their age 30 seasons

Don't know if the Cards are dumber for never trying or the Rams are dumber for trying and repeatedly failing to address the problem with high draft choices

SI breaks down Doug Martin's big game against the Raiders.

If you don't feel like reading, just break out tape of Timmy Smith destroying the Broncos in SB 22. Defensive backs who can't tackle or properly adjust their pursuit angles.

Guy I listen to on the radio refers to Oakland and Philadelphia DBs as conscientious objectors

imo, that 6-10 group was a better team than that but just had an awful QB. Upgrading to a good but not yet great rookie was all they needed

Nope, they totally blew up the secondary from '03 - '04 and finally dumped the overrated Jason Gildon. The only parts of the D that stayed intact were the three Dlineman, though Casey Hampton was lost for the year due to injury and replaced by Hoke, and Farrior inside and Porter outside.

On offense they inserted Marvel Smith on the line, dumped Amos Zeroyards for Duce Staley (his one good year in the Burgh), and worked Randle El into more of the offense...along with Ben replacing Maddox once the Ravens tore his arm off.

squicken

Aaron Rodgers feels slighted by 60 Minutes piece that focused on how he always feels slighted by everything

“To be honest, I was really surprised. It’s always interesting to see how (a piece like that) comes out. I just felt like the editing of the piece could have been done in a way that was maybe a lot more respectful of myself,” Rodgers said, via ESPNMilwaukee.com.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=14441

Nope, they totally blew up the secondary from '03 - '04 and finally dumped the overrated Jason Gildon. The only parts of the D that stayed intact were the three Dlineman, though Casey Hampton was lost for the year due to injury and replaced by Hoke, and Farrior inside and Porter outside.

On offense they inserted Marvel Smith on the line, dumped Amos Zeroyards for Duce Staley (his one good year in the Burgh), and worked Randle El into more of the offense...along with Ben replacing Maddox once the Ravens tore his arm off.

hmm thought some of those guys were there already. I guess I was just remembering Hampton and Smith and no one else haha

Aaron Rodgers feels slighted by 60 Minutes piece that focused on how he always feels slighted by everything

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=14441

hmm thought some of those guys were there already. I guess I was just remembering Hampton and Smith and no one else haha

I still have nightmares of that '02-'03 secondary....Charred Scott, Dewayne Washington, Burnt Alexander, and Mike Logan. A lot of people forget how bad that D was in '02 despite being a playoff team. That was the year they opened the season against the Pats* and Raiders back to back and both teams aired it out like crazy against them. Also forgot to mention that '04 was when Lebeau returned and Whisenhunt was named OC.

Boner

mIxHQ.jpg

bionic77

:lol Rodgers still has that bitch backup mentality.

Man up Erron, stop crying, and win a playoff game at home. Even Smith did that.

Top Bottom