• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

I could never get into that series the way I got into Fire Emblem. They are good games, but something about Fire Emblem is beyond perfect and they are so fucking addictive. You can easily lose 5-6 hours on a few campaigns.

My wife hates this series!
For me it's the fact that in FE each unit is a unique character with their own progression whereas in Advance Wars you are just constantly churning out more and more units that are exactly the same. Not that either of those is inherently bad, but I prefer the FE style more. I guess it's sort of the difference between a SRPG and more of a standard turn-based strategy game.

And screw the elitist stuff. I'm picking up Persona 4 for the Vita when it hits but I'm also loving Halo 4 right now.

ari

Banned
i don't know, GTA san andreas was the first game i felt bloated in while playing....never thought that was possible to have too much pointless shit in a game. The style of the games are so 2003. So meh.

EDIT: do anyone know how to modify hyperspin? I am building an arcade cabinet and tried maximus arcade, but its too bland for me.

Milchjon

No, I'm acting like 999,999 of them bore me to tears and the last 1 isn't enough to keep me entertained. It's not an affront to your enjoyment of it. If you love GTA and look forward to the next one, nothing I'm stating will change that for you nor would I expect it to. It's just that nothing about any of the recent GTA's have come close to holding my attention for more than a few hours is all. /shrug

I didn't mean that as an attack, you know ;-)

Also, I think we can all agree that the biggest surprise here is that Bucket likes something as mainstream as GTA.

Although he also likes the Packers, I guess

SpinDasher said:
Well, my appeal to these open world, do whatever the fuck you want to the NPC's free choice type games is on life support. You have games like inFamous that mix it up, and make it moderately interesting. But the GTA games specifically, feel as if Rockstar is afraid to really try anything to deviate the franchise from previous installments. Eventually, they end up having that "samey" feel.. less than 30mins in...
I agree. There needs to be a certain level of focus to an open world game to appeal to me. Arkham City was about as spot on as you can get in melding linear storytelling with the open world appeal. The overall enjoyment of the narrative is certainly subjective but I thought it walked that line really well. The fact that a majority of the side missions weren't throwaway busy work gets big bonus points with me, too.

Milchjon said:
I didn't mean that as an attack, you know ;-)
No, no, no. I didn't take it as such. I'm just saying, I understand I'm very much an outlier in my dislike for GTA but it's never been able to appeal to me for some reason. That goes for a lot of open world games to be honest (see above).

Played the shit out of Vice City and San Andreas. IV I got no more than 20 minutes into. The game mechanics never improved and the novelty is long gone.

Chinatown Wars was fuckawesome though. Too bad I lost my copy. :/

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I want to be a better person

*robs bank*

Society is failing me though.

*kidnaps woman*

It's all so unfair, I'm trying to hard to be better!

*punches women he just kidnapped*

I really think if given a chance, I would be an upstanding addition to this country.

*wanton murder and destruction*

See, I'm a criminal with a heart of gold. I'm just misunderstood.

*murders dozens of police officers*

I think this is what bothers me about Grand Theft Auto.

Sleeping Dogs has a much more coherent plot as does Red Dead Redemption.

Grand Theft Auto basically just has you whoring yourself out to an irrational number of crime bosses while trekking along a paper thin plotline. The variety of crime lords itself is the really comical thing about GTA. I'm just waiting for GTA to make it to where you work for a psuedo-KKK and a psuedo-Black Panthers in the same game!

I really wish games like Sleeping Dogs would do better.

Hell Yeah.

Looks like Weatherspoon is out again for the Saints game. Was already concerned, now I'm more concerned. Looking more and more like it's going to be a straight shootout on Sunday.

Nicholas and Dent did ok in his absence. Just need Babs to play out of his mind again.

Greg

Bro games for for bros, brah.
PEACE

Mechanics are awful. Only redeeming thing about 4 was the story but they ruined it with bloat and absurdity. Not allowing Marsten free will was a better story choice.

I actually am interested in multiple stories. Hopefully without trying to force 40 hours of "I'm a gooooood guy, cooosin, I sweeeer" into the game will make it better. I'm guessin it will just be three variations on the same exact story they have tried to tell a dozen times now though.
Yeah, the mechanics have always felt dated - combat, targeting, and even character movement in general is awful. The sloppiness can be both appealing and its biggest flaw to me though. It's frustrating when you have an objective to complete, but it always makes random encounters outside of the missions that much more entertaining.

No, I'm acting like 999,999 of them bore me to tears and the last 1 isn't enough to keep me entertained. It's not an affront to your enjoyment of it. If you love GTA and look forward to the next one, nothing I'm stating will change that for you nor would I expect it to. It's just that nothing about any of the recent GTA's have come close to holding my attention for more than a few hours is all. /shrug
The only reason I progress through the story is to unlock new areas and items. If the joyriding/exploration aspect of the game isn't your thing then it makes sense.

What? What the hell is wrong with NBA 2K? Lol.

It's one of the funner, better sport sims.

Couldn't tell you.

Was in a thread asking what everyone's front runners were for their GOTY.

I said Walking Dead and NBA 2k13. I instantly got shot down by some guy with an avatar from that dating sim game with the crippled girls. Just straight up mockery.

It's like, come on man nobody is going out of their way to harrass you over your tastes in games.

I'm just salty.

wienke said:
I really wish games like Sleeping Dogs would do better.
I bought it on PC for cheap and haven't gotten around to it but I want to give it a try. For $10 I couldn't say no. I want to finish up Okami HD and Halo 4 before moving onto it though.

Dark Souls slowed me down this year. Spent nearly 60 hours with that damn game (and loved every last minute of it).

Greg

Couldn't tell you.

I said Walking Dead and NBA 2k13. I instantly got shot down by some guy with an avatar from that dating sim game with the crippled girls. Just straight up mockery.

It's like, come on man nobody is going out of their way to harrass you over your tastes in games.

I'm just salty.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sports game are just roster updates, duh

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bionic77

2K2 is pretty good. I don't know what people's problems with it are.

My favorite sports sims are still the soccer games (FIFA is the preferred game though it used to be Winning Eleven), but I still have fun sucking balls and losing to people in Madden, 2K, and any kind of tennis or golf game.

I am not a fan of first person shooters though. A lot of them are really fun in multiplayer, but for whatever reason I have gotten bored of them. A game like Zelda or Uncharted is more fun for me than a FPS.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I can't even compete when it comes to online sports games. The only times I win is when I dudebro it up with my actual friends.

Besides now I have to decide which game I am going to buy on release either Bioshock Infinite or GTAV now.

Spinluck

Couldn't tell you.

I'm just salty.

Wow, sounds like you got GAF'd. Lol.

Vesmir

Banned
Once upon a time I was big on gaming, had all of the consoles and the latest games, yadda yadda. These days, I just play a couple of things on my computer, like Binding of Issac and Fallout. Bought Dark Souls but need a controller for that. Had fun with it on the PS3.

Too bad snes isn't here to talk about what gaming was like before electricity was discovered.

I can't even compete when it comes to online sports games. The only times I win is when I dudebro it up with my actual friends.

Besides now I have to decide which game I am going to buy on release either Bioshock Infinite or GTAV now.

Me too, I pretty much just play NBA 2k for the my career mode which is seriously awesome.

Milabrega

I need one flex and one RB out of vick ballard, rashard jennings, cj spiller and hakeem nicks which are the best two to go with? I have Ballard and Jennings in right now. Spiller is vs NE Nicks vs Cin but has knee issues in practice and jags are playing indy so I'd have those two running tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I need one flex and one RB out of vick ballard, rashard jennings, cj spiller and hakeem nicks which are the best two to go with? I have Ballard and Jennings in right now. Spiller is vs NE Nicks vs Cin but has knee issues in practice and jags are playing indy so I'd have those two running tonight.

Get this football talk out of here!

2K2 is pretty good. I don't know what people's problems with it are.

My favorite sports sims are still the soccer games (FIFA is the preferred game though it used to be Winning Eleven), but I still have fun sucking balls and losing to people in Madden, 2K, and any kind of tennis or golf game.

I am not a fan of first person shooters though. A lot of them are really fun in multiplayer, but for whatever reason I have gotten bored of them. A game like Zelda or Uncharted is more fun for me than a FPS.

I've played a shit ton of Call of Duty: World at War and Black Ops online, but I only really like it when I play with friends just 'dudebro' it up in an Xbox live party. With 6 people together it's pretty easy to dominate every game, so that makes it more fun too.

But I will never play without them, MP games are fun because of the shit talking with friends and all that.

bionic77

I think it's like music or movies, the stuff you grow up with will always hold a special place in your heart.

Shenmue is still by far my favorite game, for instance.
I played Fire Emblem for the first time when I was 30 and it is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't buy that crap. I played Winning Eleven when I was in my late 20s and likewise.

Also Shenmue was pretty but it was boring as fuck. So disappointing after all that hype. The best game for DC for me was 2k2, which revolutionized bball on consoles. Even Sonic (which was awesome the first time) did not hold up, but I still think fondly of 2k2 and Crazy Taxi.

I never buy that nostalgia crap because I remember those games from when I was a kid or teen and replayed a lot of them when I was older. And some of them hold up today. I mean you will hard pressed to find many games that are going to age as well as Super Metroid and Yoshis Island, either graphically or from a gameplay perspective, from any generation. God the 16bit era was glorious...

bionic77

I've played a shit ton of Call of Duty: World at War and Black Ops online, but I only really like it when I play with friends just 'dudebro' it up in an Xbox live party. With 6 people together it's pretty easy to dominate every game, so that makes it more fun too.

But I will never play without them, MP games are fun because of the shit talking with friends and all that.
Honestly anything is fun in multiplayer. Even a garbage game online/singleplayer can be fun if you play it with your friends. Secret of Mana by yourself was shit. Add in two players and it was some of the most fun I have ever had gaming.

tmdorsey

I never buy that nostalgia crap because I remember those games from when I was a kid or teen and replayed a lot of them when I was older. And some of them hold up today. I mean you will hard pressed to find many games that are going to age as well as Super Metroid and Yoshis Island, either graphically or from a gameplay perspective, from any generation. God the 16bit era was glorious...

Amen.

Milchjon

Also Shenmue was pretty but it was boring as fuck. So disappointing after all that hype. The best game for DC for me was 2k2, which revolutionized bball on consoles. Even Sonic (which was awesome the first time) did not hold up, but I still think fondly of 2k2 and Crazy Taxi.

Shenmue isn't for anyone, that's for sure. But there's something about it that makes me go back time and time again. The atmosphere is still unmatched. There's nothing quite like it.

I think the stuff that I like about Shenmue is exactly why I still love SA tremendously. I just enjoy exploring worlds, simple escapism. I don't need much happening.

As for the rest of your argument, I don't fully buy it. I didn't experience the 16 bit era, and when I played Yoshi's Island and Metroid later, I didn't like it much. And Fire Emblem seems to be a 16bit game at heart, too. Maybe you're just oblivious to your rose tinted glasses.

After reading GTA V GI article...

XAuiml.jpg

LJ11

I bought it on PC for cheap and haven't gotten around to it but I want to give it a try. For $10 I couldn't say no. I want to finish up Okami HD and Halo 4 before moving onto it though.

Dark Souls slowed me down this year. Spent nearly 60 hours with that damn game (and loved every last minute of it).

One of the best games I've ever played, incredible level design for the majority of the game. Spent like 3 months playing it on and off. Don't really grind through games like I did when I was younger.

Spinluck

There was just something magical about game back then.

I think I still have a lot of gaming left in me, but I don't think things will ever match anything predating the 64 bit era.

EDIT: Just throwing this in there, I'm not saying anything after 64-bit sucks. Just that the novelty for me, was greater back than.

I'm still on Demon's Souls. I put it down a while ago and have to go back. It's such an investment of time.

Also, anyone know where I can get a good HDMI switcher? Monoprice seemed to have a good one for 20 bucks but I want to be sure I get quality.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I like all games.

I dont give a fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Man I love them too but just don't have as much time as I used to or frankly the attention span.

I remember the days of waking up and playing games until I went to bed. I can barely get through 2 hours on my own without losing interest. No matter how good the game is.

edit: I'm still on ME2! Still in the first few hours of it.

Milchjon

Man I love them too but just don't have as much time as I used to or frankly the attention span.

I remember the days of waking up and playing games until I went to bed. I can barely get through 2 hours on my own without losing interest. No matter how good the game is.

I also have this nagging sense of guilt nowadays when gaming, like I should be doing something more productive.

So I go back to wasting my time on GAF.

I spend more time talking about games on GAF than I do playing them.

LJ11 said:
One of the best games I've ever played, incredible level design for the majority of the game.
Blighttown is one of most harrowing experiences I've ever had in a game. Amazing level design, every corner could mean death and it looks amazing (especially on PC).

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm still on Demon's Souls. I put it down a while ago and have to go back. It's such an investment of time.
Dark Souls is so much better to me mainly because of the bonfire system and the open world nature of it. Demon's Souls is pretty damned great in its own right though.

bionic77

The solution to your problem is to get a handheld console and ignore what the fuck GAF is saying.

Vita for graphics or 3DS for content.

The games are shorter and often more creative than what you get on consoles.

Now that I think about it, get a DS first and enjoy that tremendous backlog of awesomeness before you jump into the newer handhelds.

Top Bottom